Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

E2M2 posted:

Is it me or does Skip Bayless suck? When he and Stephen A. Smith are on ESPN its almost unwatchable for me.

Indeed, he is the vanguard of the exciting new trend of sucking intentionally, just to cause bullshit controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I still contend that Bayless is pretty funny when you realize it's intentional trolling. I don't know who in SAS goes to loving First Take for serious, well thought-out sports discussion, so I think it's hilarious that his schtick works up so many sports-radio listeners.

And honestly if Joe Pos was on First Take the entire reaction of the viewing audience would be, "Well, yes, that makes sense." No furor, no reader reaction, no website comments - this discussion on this Internet message board doesn't even happen.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I don't watch the news to be part of a furor, I watch it to learn things. In theory, even to hear people offer intelligent commentary. Since he's not even honest about his opinions, what value could listening to him possibly hold?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Mornacale posted:

I don't watch the news to be part of a furor, I watch it to learn things. In theory, even to hear people offer intelligent commentary. Since he's not even honest about his opinions, what value could listening to him possibly hold?

I've disliked Bayless for years, but watching him be accidentally right about Tebow was a lot of fun. Once you accept that ESPN is never going to be decent at its job but still thrive financially, it's easier to just have fun with it.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I still contend that Bayless is pretty funny when you realize it's intentional trolling. I don't know who in SAS goes to loving First Take for serious, well thought-out sports discussion, so I think it's hilarious that his schtick works up so many sports-radio listeners.

yeah but then something like this happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl26EU2zkH0

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
"For that matter, why isn't there a WHITE history month?" -Skip Bayless

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Groucho Marxist posted:

yeah but then something like this happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl26EU2zkH0

"i take a little pride that he came from a white mother"

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Stop writing about Skip Bayless and read this piece from Outside Magazine on the Livestrong Foundation and its charitable activities. This is some actual, legitimate reporting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Stop writing about Skip Bayless and read this piece from Outside Magazine on the Livestrong Foundation and its charitable activities. This is some actual, legitimate reporting.

Great read, thanks for the link.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This was really interesting, thank you for posting it. On top of the more overt shadiness, it raises a really interesting question about whether a foundation like livestrong should spend on research or on other "programs".

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/boldin-plants-allen-helmet-turf-avoids-flag-214155766.html

Regarding a Anquan Boldin's cheap shot today:

Idiot posted:

Dan Dierdorf expressed surprise that the officials didn't throw a flag on either the holds or the end game, but I'm pleased they didn't. The play was dirty, a little ugly and wouldn't be tolerated on a game-to-game basis in the regular season.

This is the playoffs, though. The normal rules don't apply. Don't decide the game with whistles, let players decide the game themselves. And if that involves a little extracurriculars after the play is over, so be it.

But if a player commits an infraction -- gently caress, never mind. Jesus Christ.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Lazy like a Fox posted:

This was really interesting, thank you for posting it. On top of the more overt shadiness, it raises a really interesting question about whether a foundation like livestrong should spend on research or on other "programs".

Yeah, it makes you wonder at the end of the day if Livestrong is really just another athlete charity in many ways (though, obviously, it gives out more money for those "programs" than a lot of charities do anyway). Certainly it has all kinds of public relations might behind it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

That is a great (and horrible) article.

Here is a horrible (and horrible) article Rany J. just linked to on the twitter: http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2012/01/15/sports/doc4f139f14424fe118040314.txt?viewmode=fullstory .

Jack Morris' inflated ERA from the steroid era should NOT keep him out of the Hall of Fame! Also, Peter Gammons is voting for Jeff Bagwell, who is from Boston, so OBVIOUSLY, he's biased, but I'm going to stump for Jack Morris, pay no mind regarding where my newspaper is based.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Deathlove posted:

Here is a horrible (and horrible) article Rany J. just linked to on the twitter:

Two horribles don't do this justice.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

AlleyViper posted:

Two horribles don't do this justice.

horrible (horrible) posted:

It’s true, the 3.90 ERA would be the highest of any pitcher enshrined, but Morris also pitched the second half of his career at the height of the steroids era. There is no shred of evidence he used performance enhancing drugs (PED), nor is he remotely suspected of doing so.

These sure are words that form sentences. I'm not entirely sure what they mean, but someone wrote them and put them on the internet and got paid to do it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Badfinger posted:

These sure are words that form sentences. I'm not entirely sure what they mean, but someone wrote them and put them on the internet and got paid to do it.

Conversely there is no proof that he didn't take steroids either so I don't know why sports writers use that gambit.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Moose Bigelow posted:

Conversely there is no proof that he didn't take steroids either so I don't know why sports writers use that gambit.

The part about that particular paragraph you should actually be annoyed at is that Morris pitched about 140 lovely innings in 1994 then retired. No one outside of writers trying to contrive a narrative for Jack Morris thinks of a career ending in 1994 as being in the "steroid era" at all, much less half his loving career.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Moose Bigelow posted:

You should know by now that "no proof either way" will be used by writers to justify whatever they want.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Our favorite old baseball writer reveals why he didn't vote for as many names on the Hall of Fame ballot every year as he could have:

MURRAY loving CHASS posted:

When I voted for the first time, I submitted a full ballot, all 10 lines filled with names. By the time I voted a year later, I had reconsidered what I had done. In voting for 10 players, I was saying in essence I wanted to see 10 players inducted into the Hall at the same time.

How foolish, I realized. Having 10 players enter the Hall at the same time would detract from the honor for each player. In addition, the induction ceremony would take forever and require a break for dinner. On subsequent ballots I placed an X next to three or four names at the most, sometimes only one or two.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Crazy Ted posted:

Our favorite old baseball writer reveals why he didn't vote for as many names on the Hall of Fame ballot every year as he could have:

"WHY SHOULD I VOTE FOR SO MANY GUYS THAT MIGHT MEAN THE INDUCTION CEREMONY GOES ON TOO LONG AND I MIGHT MISS MATLOCK"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like anyone cares what that dumb old blogger has to say.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Mornacale posted:

You should know by now that "no proof either way" will be used by writers to justify whatever they want.

corollary : You don't need proof if you "know what you saw"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Badfinger posted:

The part about that particular paragraph you should actually be annoyed at is that Morris pitched about 140 lovely innings in 1994 then retired. No one outside of writers trying to contrive a narrative for Jack Morris thinks of a career ending in 1994 as being in the "steroid era" at all, much less half his loving career.

The best I can figure is that he's pinning the start of the steroid era in '87 with the Bash Brothers.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Deathlove posted:

The best I can figure is that he's pinning the start of the steroid era in '87 with the Bash Brothers.

That's dumb; he's dumb.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MorningView posted:

Like anyone cares what that dumb old blogger has to say.
Because knowing the BBWAA about half of them share his opinions on the Hall of Fame.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CraigK posted:

"WHY SHOULD I VOTE FOR SO MANY GUYS THAT MIGHT MEAN THE INDUCTION CEREMONY GOES ON TOO LONG AND I MIGHT MISS MATLOCK"

DOGGONIT MY VCR TAPE RAN OUT AGAIN

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Because knowing the BBWAA about half of them share his opinions on the Hall of Fame.

That was mostly an excuse to call him a blogger, which he hates even though he now writes a blog.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
This is a site for baseball columns, not for baseball blogs. The proprietor of the site is not a fan of blogs. He made that abundantly clear on a radio show with Charley Steiner when Steiner asked him what he thought of blogs and he replied, “I hate blogs.” He later heartily applauded Buzz Bissinger when the best-selling author denounced bloggers on a Bob Costas HBO show.

Bloggers, however, are welcome to visit this site; so are stats freaks, fantasy leaguers and Red Sox fans. How else will they know what is being said about them by a columnist they love to hate?

Otherwise, this site will most likely appeal primarily to older fans whose interest in good old baseball is largely ignored in this day of young bloggers who know it all, and new- fangled statistics (VORP, for one excuse-me example), which are drowning the game in numbers and making people forget that human beings, not numbers, play the games.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The best was when Chass mistakenly accused Tom Verducci for not voting Marvin Miller for the HoF, and Posnasnki and Verducci both wrote articles in response where they repeatedly referred to him as "the blogger"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I can't help but read this with your avatar reading the Murray Chass part out loud in my head

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Interesting article and I glad I read it and I understand that the author cannot answer some of the questions that the article poses, but it still felt like a whole bunch of nothing for the most part. Maybe it's because I knew a decent amount about the entire Livestrong brand and all that stuff but yeah.

Although it does bug me when people say "well this guy was cheating so why should we take his word?!" in regards to someone like Landis. Canseco is the ultimate example. When his book Juiced came out everyone was decrying him and saying it was a pure money grab and he was a liar. A couple years later he is comically the only one telling the whole drat truth...well, for the most part.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

leokitty posted:

This is a site for baseball columns, not for baseball blogs. The proprietor of the site is not a fan of blogs. He made that abundantly clear on a radio show with Charley Steiner when Steiner asked him what he thought of blogs and he replied, “I hate blogs.” He later heartily applauded Buzz Bissinger when the best-selling author denounced bloggers on a Bob Costas HBO show.

Bloggers, however, are welcome to visit this site; so are stats freaks, fantasy leaguers and Red Sox fans. How else will they know what is being said about them by a columnist they love to hate?

Otherwise, this site will most likely appeal primarily to older fans whose interest in good old baseball is largely ignored in this day of young bloggers who know it all, and new- fangled statistics (VORP, for one excuse-me example), which are drowning the game in numbers and making people forget that human beings, not numbers, play the games.

"Because trying to correlate performance with cold, hard mathematics...well that's just stupid. Now, here's my list of top ten players all time ranked by heart and grit!"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

haljordan posted:

"Because trying to correlate performance with cold, hard mathematics...well that's just stupid. Now, here's my list of top ten players all time ranked by heart and grit!"

This is what sportswriters Americans actually believe.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mornacale posted:

I'm not saying Sabermetrics is the Alpha & Omega in judging sports performances, but it'd be nice if someone could write a criticism that shows they actually know what any of those stats measure. Every time I hear a radio DJ or read a sportswriter's rant, they don't even bother. They just make dumb, punny jokes about VORP and poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mornacale posted:

A friend recently told me Cam Newton didn't deserve rookie of the year because he didn't "lead enough fourth quarter drives." Weirdly enough, his pick wasn't Tebow either.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

haljordan posted:

I'm not saying Sabermetrics is the Alpha & Omega in judging sports performances, but it'd be nice if someone could write a criticism that shows they actually know what any of those stats measure. Every time I hear a radio DJ or read a sportswriter's rant, they don't even bother. They just make dumb, punny jokes about VORP and poo poo.

Holy poo poo, this. It's common to hear something like, "VORP, what is that, something from Star Trek, NEERRRRRRRDS, pocket protectors, mom's basement...." Then in the next segment, "Joe Blow should get the Cy Young because [lists statistics]."

They aren't against statistics, they are against statistics that they are too lazy to learn about. They won't criticize them substantively because they aren't capable.

One other thing. You know who I've seen criticize Sabermetrics the most? Guys who are into Sabermetrics. I've repeatedly seen them lay out why this stat isn't the final word, or why that stat doesn't paint the whole picture.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

morestuff posted:

A friend recently told me Cam Newton didn't deserve rookie of the year because he didn't "lead enough fourth quarter drives." Weirdly enough, his pick wasn't Tebow either.

Was his choice Andy Dalton? He's the darling of the JWG school of thought among rookies since this was Tebow's second year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Was his choice Andy Dalton? He's the darling of the JWG school of thought among rookies since this was Tebow's second year.

Yeah, it was Dalton. I keep forgetting Tebow's a sophomore.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tebow played a lot last year, it's weird that everyone on earth seems to think he's a rookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MorningView posted:

Tebow played a lot last year, it's weird that everyone on earth seems to think he's a rookie.

I basically ignored the NFL last year while the Panthers were cratering.