Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

the_Vandal posted:

The only good wrestling games on PSX were the Smackdown! ones.
The New Japan games (especially 2 and 3) were awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

1st AD posted:

Backstage Assault is just WCW Mayhem with the rings stripped out of the game. I'm pretty sure all the engine and all the character models are the same, so the initial cost of development was already taken care of.
You're right!

I remember being jibbed at this when I was a kid.

I remember trying to find the ring so I could do the turnbuckle moves.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
If I remember correctly, you could still do the turnbuckle moves in little set pieces backstage, like a tire pile in a corner and stupid stuff like that, and it never seemed to trigger correctly.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I almost kind of wish Russo's 'no ring' idea went through just as the icing on the cake.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Suben posted:

That reminds me, there was a story in I think the old celebrity meetings thread that was in GBS where some dude talked about how Reese was, for some reason, an in-joke among him and his friends and they'd call into the WCW radio show (or internet show? something like that) and constantly pester the host about Reese/the Yeti. I wish I had the story myself.

I forget the original poster, but this is the quote:

" I used to call a WCW Internet radio show every week and ask them about this mummy-wrestler, The Yeti.* It was hosted by Mark Madden. Months later, Madden is hosting a Pittsburgh local show about the Penguins. A friend of mine in Pittsburgh gives me the number, and to Madden's shock and surprise, yes, I asked him if the Penguins would be signing the Yeti.

* Mean Gene Okerlund once told me to burn my telephone.
"

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Is there anyone else who remembers the Stevie Ray promo on Thunder where he was ripping on DDP and just began stammering out insults in a combination so hilarious it left me (and hopefully you, too!) in tears?

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was in the spring of 1999, in an interview in the ring with Mean Gene...

"You low-down, dirty, no-good, modern-day, beatnik....FRUIT BOOTY!"

Then Okerlund follows it up as only he can, with an incredulous "FRUIT BOOTY?!?"

Stevie Ray definitely used that term a bit when he started commentating a little bit later, but that was its birth. And it was glorious.

I have never seen it since.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

nasboat posted:

Is there anyone else who remembers the Stevie Ray promo on Thunder where he was ripping on DDP and just began stammering out insults in a combination so hilarious it left me (and hopefully you, too!) in tears?

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was in the spring of 1999, in an interview in the ring with Mean Gene...

"You low-down, dirty, no-good, modern-day, beatnik....FRUIT BOOTY!"

Then Okerlund follows it up as only he can, with an incredulous "FRUIT BOOTY?!?"

Stevie Ray definitely used that term a bit when he started commentating a little bit later, but that was its birth. And it was glorious.

I have never seen it since.

Let's slapjack some fruit booties!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byeiOBmtqxo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

My favorite "Straightshootin'" Stevie Ray-ism is still calling women yaks for some reason.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't know who made the decision to give Stevie Ray five minutes of mic time, but god bless you.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Why did Harlem Heat even split up in the first place? I want to say it was because of the NWO but I honestly can't remember.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Because of ScoopThis's "Adventures of the NWO B-Team" series, Stevie Ray and the crew will always have a soft spot with me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

the_Vandal posted:

Why did Harlem Heat even split up in the first place? I want to say it was because of the NWO but I honestly can't remember.

Booker T was working a singles push after Stevie Ray was out with an injury. When Stevie Ray returned, he joined the nWo. They never really had a feud then. It wasn't until late 1999 (Russo era) that they had a feud. And it sucked.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

the_Vandal posted:

I may be wrong, but I remember that Booker T won the TV Championship, but then got injured later on. Stevie Ray came out and said that Booker said it was cool that he defended the championship for him when he actually didn't. Stevie wound up losing Booker's championship.

edit:

Stevie Ray explains that he has Booker T's "Power of Attorney" to defend his belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyaWsH26xXw at 9:25

Here is Stevie Ray losing Booker's TV Championship, but why was it because of the Giant's help??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNSGxoBdErI

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 15, 2012

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the_Vandal posted:

Booker T teamed up with Power Plant graduate Midnight a couple times. Stevie Ray didn't like Midnight at all and expressed this opinion to Booker T on multiple occasions. Then Stevie Ray slapjacked Midnight and Booker T for some reason and Big T showed up and the rest is history!

But to answer your question, a woman came between them, I guess.

Okay I guess this was the second time Harlem Heat split up.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Midnight was a Power Plant GRADUATE?? :psyduck:

Her only two moves are leapfrog and dropkick!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bocc Kob posted:

But she probably could do 200 straight squats so she was clearly ready to be a WCW wrestler.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Deadpool posted:

I remember watching this with a friend and we got so excited about this promo.

"HE JUST CALLED DDP A FRUIT BOOTY!"

"OH MY GOD! THIS IS AMAZING!"

"...HE SAID IT AGAIN!"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

You know, as awful/confusing as Nitro and Thunder were a lot of the time, WCW Saturday Night was a pretty solid hour or so of wrestling. I've been rewatching the stuff that's up on Youtube and Dailymotion and just loving how simple the format was - even the squash matches are fun because the guys got to just go out there and work without everything being overbooked to death.

Like this match I just finished watching: Raven v. the Renegade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPpR1kcPzKY

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Thank you everyone that answered my question. I thought it had something to do with the NWO, but I wasn't sure. I guess I was pretty close, although not fully correct, then! Thank you, fruity booties. I can now retire to the B-Team in peace. I'll see you on Thunder!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have no idea why 2 separate organizations gave announcing jobs to 2 brothers who have no place behind the announcing table.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

oldpainless posted:

I have no idea why 2 separate organizations gave announcing jobs to 2 brothers who have no place behind the announcing table.

That's because you're a fruity sucka that quack like a duck! lol

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

CombineThresher posted:

You know, as awful/confusing as Nitro and Thunder were a lot of the time, WCW Saturday Night was a pretty solid hour or so of wrestling. I've been rewatching the stuff that's up on Youtube and Dailymotion and just loving how simple the format was - even the squash matches are fun because the guys got to just go out there and work without everything being overbooked to death.

Like this match I just finished watching: Raven v. the Renegade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPpR1kcPzKY

Oh lord I forgot about the The Renegade, WCW's horrible HGH-gut Ultimate Warrior knockoff.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

maniacripper posted:

Oh lord I forgot about the The Renegade, WCW's horrible HGH-gut Ultimate Warrior knockoff.

Haha, yeah! I sure am glad that we got the real HGH-Gut Warrior instead! Brutus Beefcake needed a payday!

the_Vandal fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 15, 2012

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Deadpool posted:

...Did DDP give Stevie Ray his Championship shot?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Deadpool posted:

FYI Fruit Booty is old school southern way to cal someone a human being. Like Lil Richard era(the original lyrics to Tutti Frutti were just amazing).

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Deadpool posted:

oh my god. You are the greatest SA poster ever. I just wanna give you a hug right now. :3:

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Bocc Kob posted:

By today's standards she was ahead of her time

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I remember watching the WCW's decline back in the '90s. At some point they stopped being creative and seemed to just stop caring altogether (it was hilarious when passing shots of Monday Nitro had several empty seats). It even got so bad that every thing they did were just spin-offs from the WWF's ideas. Their lowest point, which where I stopped watching them altogether, was when they made fun of Jim Ross' facial paralysis caused by his stroke. gently caress those guys.

EDIT: A wonderful WCW gem: The pinata match. Starring WCW's Mexican talent. I cannot believe that this was allowed to air.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 4, 2024

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

melon cat posted:

I remember watching the WCW's decline back in the '90s. At some point they stopped being creative and seemed to just stop caring altogether (it was hilarious when passing shots of Monday Nitro had several empty seats). It even got so bad that every thing they did were just spin-offs from the WWF's ideas. Their lowest point, which where I stopped watching them altogether, was when they made fun of Jim Ross' facial paralysis caused by his stroke. gently caress those guys.
I think Oklahoma would have been funny if they just didn't do the Bells Paulsy thing. since JR is ripe for parody.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

melon cat posted:

That was Russos first reign. It only gets worse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We just watched Souled Out 1997 - the PPV that was sponsored completely by the nWo and my God it was loving terrible. This COULD have been amazing, the concept of a stable completely taking over and running their own PPV and making the WCW wrestlers the "outsiders" could have been brilliant - if it had ended with the WCW guys doing the standard nWo run-in and beating down a top nWo guy could have, I think, made for incredibly compelling television.

Instead, it was just a dull and dreary affair peppered with hugely embarrassing and boring "beauty contest" segments, a standard main event, standard nWo finish etc. Another example of the missed opportunities as WCW turned potential gold into poo poo-covered straw.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

melon cat posted:

EDIT: A wonderful WCW gem: The pinata match. Starring WCW's Mexican talent. :haw:

Oklahoma announcing is bad enough but when he wins the Cruiserweight Title it gets much much worse.

Oh and then there's his evening gown match against Madusa

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oatgan posted:

Oklahoma announcing is bad enough but when he wins the Cruiserweight Title it gets much much worse.

Oh and then there's his evening gown match against Madusa

Will there be a Nitro/pain tomorrow?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oatgan posted:

I have seen that match once and only once, and it disgusted me enough that it was one of the major reasons I started actively avoiding WCW, but tell me if I remember this right:

1. Oklahoma declares that any man - ANY man - can beat any woman, because men are naturally better then women.
2. The Women's Champ takes exception to this and challenges him to a match.
3. Oklahoma BEATS the woman, clean. In the middle of the ring.
4. The now former Champ and a couple of other women "humiliate" Oklahoma by pouring jello down his pants or something.
5. Oklahoma is STILL the Champion, and still beat the Champ clean in the middle of the ring, suggesting that his asinine and chauvinistic claim was right on the money and even a fat useless sack of poo poo could beat the very best woman wrestler on the roster.
6. My Dad dives across the room and pulls the gun out of my mouth before I can pull the trigger.
7. A shitload of therapy follows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I have seen that match once and only once, and it disgusted me enough that it was one of the major reasons I started actively avoiding WCW, but tell me if I remember this right:

1. Oklahoma declares that any man - ANY man - can beat any woman, because men are naturally better then women.
4. The now former Champ and a couple of other women "humiliate" Oklahoma by pouring jello down his pants or something.
5. Oklahoma is STILL the Champion, and still beat the Champ clean in the middle of the ring, suggesting that his asinine and chauvinistic claim was right on the money and even a fat useless sack of poo poo could beat the very best woman wrestler on the roster.
6. My Dad dives across the room and pulls the gun out of my mouth before I can pull the trigger.

Cruiserweight champion.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Will there be a Nitro/pain tomorrow?
Yes

Jerusalem posted:

I believe he uses a bottle of BBQ sauce as a foreign object and frequently covers women in it post-match as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Cruiserweight champion.

For some reason this makes it even worse to me.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

MassRayPer posted:

Cruiserweight champion.

Didn't she win that from Evan Karagias via WOMAN TRICKERY or something (I think this was when Spice was her manager for... some reason)?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Suben posted:

Didn't she win that from Evan Karagias via WOMAN TRICKERY or something (I think this was when Spice was her manager for... some reason)?

Medusa and Evan were a couple until Medusa caught Evan hitting on Spice backstage. Medusa was scheduled to be in a match that night to determine who gets a shot at the cruiserweight title against Mona. Evan, who is on commentary, enters the ring for some reason and Medusa distracts him with her enormous breasts then hits a german suplex on Evan and pins him for the win (:psyduck:)

At the PPV they wrestle an actual match, but Spice (who came to the ring with Evan as a manager) distracts the ref and Medusa hits Evan with a low-blow then rolls him up for the pin. Then Spice becomes Medusa's manager, and her actions during this whole thing are never explained.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
Linked from the Raven vs. Renegade match above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ER-4uVAgho&feature=related
Super Invader, who is totally from Bangkok, vs. Jason, the most useless man in ECW. God I loved the randomness of old WCW undercards.