Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Thia posted:

Thanks for all the advice on baby supplies everyone! I am planning on baby wearing and pumping when I go back to work. I'd seen multiple recommendations for the Moby wrap and Medela Pump in Style so I'll probably end up with those.

As far as morning sickness, I had it from about 6-9 weeks and it went away almost completely at 10. Then it came back for about a week at 12 weeks and now it's gone again. So I do think everyone's different!

I'm trying to decide if I'm going back to work full time or part time. I just graduated nursing school last May and I love my job but I want to spend time with the baby too. We're going to start researching different daycare options soon. I really would love to stay home full time, but I really think I would end up missing my work, and I definitely would feel out of touch and like a brand new nurse again if I went back a year or more after leaving. Plus it wouldn't be the best financial decision for us. I think it's often a tough decision in any situation.

My sister-in-law is a nurse and she works 3 12 hour shifts a week. Those 12 hour days are long, but then she's home most of the week with the kids. Depending on how she's scheduled, sometimes she's home for up to 5 days in a row. And she always works at least one weekend day, so the kids are only at their daycare 2 days a week max because their dad is home on the weekend. It's a nice compromise, if you can swing it.

Here's my baby chasing ducks.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
^^ I love that hat!

So Christopher surprised me today... all week when I've been playing with him on the Boppy I've been teaching him to grab my fingers and I'd pull him to a sitting position. He's been getting pretty good at figuring out that if he lets go he falls back onto the Boppy so he holds on tight.

This morning, I offer him my fingers, he grabs them and pulls himself into a sitting position before I can do anything. My kiddo is a brute!

He, however, hates hats.

(Got this picture off my mother today - my mother-in-law made him a hat and snowsuit for Christmas, and so to give her a nice picture I put the hat on him right off, and that happened instead. XD)

Lyz fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 15, 2012

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I've been going through some pretty random mood swings as well as a ton of other symptoms. Is there anything I can have my husband read to help him cope with this and understand what I'm going through? Sometimes when I try to explain things to him it kinda doesn't sink in since it's happening right after I got mad at him or when I'm grumpy.

I guess I need some kind of book or website with advice for guys with pregnant wives. He's having trouble picking his battles or even showing much empathy sometimes and it ends in little spats that shouldn't have happened.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Trip report as requested by Fire in the Disco. I shot down Mr. Clarice's comedy option of "try all home induction techniques at once." So we had spicy food one day, sex the next, and then on the next day (two Saturday's ago) I was just about the break out the castor oil when I had to ask myself "did my water just break?"

So Saturday the 7th we go into the hospital in the very beginning stages of labor. Lots of medical decisions are made and I end up getting Pitocin to help jump start things a bit more. I labor through all of Sunday, the OB docs get restless and want to evict this kid by force if necessary, but my midife holds them off. Midnight Monday morning the kid is still firmly lodged in there (at -1 station, not even fully descended into the pelvis) and after 36 hours of labor the midwife concedes to the attending OB that is it time for a C-section.

Little Ezra was born last Monday at 1:30am, perfectly healthy at 8 pounds 6 oz, 22 inches long. We got home from the hospital on Thursday and are adjusting to the new normal. Mr. Clarice and I are over the moon in love with him. It wasn't the delivery I envisioned but as soon as I laid my eyes on him it just didnt matter.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Congratulations, but I'm disappointed in no comedic option (kidding, I'm only disappointed in no photo of Ezra! :D)

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

Congratulations, but I'm disappointed in no comedic option (kidding, I'm only disappointed in no photo of Ezra! :D)

Photo to come -- I need to figure out hosting and whatnot. But he is cute, be assured.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

It wasn't the delivery I envisioned but as soon as I laid my eyes on him it just didnt matter.

Exactly. I really wanted a vaginal delivery but sometimes kids just love the womb too much to let go.

Congrats!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Photo to come -- I need to figure out hosting and whatnot. But he is cute, be assured.

Use Imgur.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Congratulations! I'm happy you didn't have to crap your brains out to get the labor going! I love the name Ezra!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
I formed babby!

Arthur Grayson S. was born on Wednesday afternoon. He was 9lbs, 8.9oz, 21 inches long, and had a 14-inch head :psyduck:

When I went in for a checkup on Monday, my blood pressure was still steadily climbing and I finally did have some protein in my urine, plus an ultrasound estimated the little guy's weight at 10lbs 5oz. We considered induction, but I wasn't effacing at all and was only dilated about a half centimeter and my doctor didn't estimate the odds of not ending up in C-section to be very high, plus induction would have spiked my BP further, so we agreed to just go ahead and do the section. Like you Clarice it was not the birth I wanted or planned for, but once he was out and I saw that massive cranium I was okay with it. :D

So far he has been a delight--there isn't a mark on him, he is completely healthy, and he took to breastfeeding like a boss. He got double 10s on his Apgar (I am stupidly proud of this). By the time we left the hospital yesterday he was back up to birthweight. (I am down 20 pounds so far--they took A LOT of fluid off me!) I'm having a little more trouble resting comfortably...I've never had surgery before so it's really frustrating having to slow down and wait for my body to catch up. It'll get better though, I guess! I'll feel better for sure once I can clear out these awful engorged boobs!

He has a follow-up visit tomorrow and I plan to ask questions then, but in the meantime: I'm wondering if maybe he is eating too much at a time. Since my milk started coming in yesterday he's shortened his feeds to about 10 minutes, but he has also started spitting up a little bit after almost every feed. Should I be stopping him after four or five minutes?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Chicken McNobody posted:

I formed babby!

Arthur Grayson S. was born on Wednesday afternoon. He was 9lbs, 8.9oz, 21 inches long, and had a 14-inch head :psyduck:

Love the name. Grayson would be on my list of boy names if my husband hadn't agreed to the very first name I suggested.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Chicken McNobody posted:

He has a follow-up visit tomorrow and I plan to ask questions then, but in the meantime: I'm wondering if maybe he is eating too much at a time. Since my milk started coming in yesterday he's shortened his feeds to about 10 minutes, but he has also started spitting up a little bit after almost every feed. Should I be stopping him after four or five minutes?

No I wouldn't stop him from eating. Some babies just spit up. Just let him nurse until he's done. :) Congratulations on your beautiful baby.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You have a ten pound hoss on your hands. He's probably going to eat an impressive amount. If he's anything like my firstborn, get a second mortgage on the house. Kid's five and he eats more than I do.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Here's our little Ezra.

By the way, I've been meaning to thank all of you in this thread. Your advice and comments were invaluable in keeping Clarice and myself calm (or as calm as possible) throughout the pregnancy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Bookmarking this thread- going in for my wife's c-section tomorrow morning and I have no clue what I'm doing, as it's my first :)

starshine
Nov 26, 2007
Omg the tiny newborn fingers :3: Congrats, what a gorgeous baby!

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

My little girl is now 7 weeks old

She's been so easy, we're already planning our second. She now only gets up to feed once during the night, she will feed from the boob or bottle, hot or cold, without any fuss. She self burps and always seems to be happy.

She's come out on the boat twice now, we made sure she had a whistle, for safety

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My kid was super easy, too. Then she turned into a toddler :cry:

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

My little girl is now 7 weeks old

She's been so easy, we're already planning our second. She now only gets up to feed once during the night, she will feed from the boob or bottle, hot or cold, without any fuss. She self burps and always seems to be happy.

She's come out on the boat twice now, we made sure she had a whistle, for safety

Ezra and I are nursing/reading the forums, respectively, and I had to stop and show him this post as a warning: "here is the awesomeness goon-babies that you have to live up to. Get crackin' "

Totally adorable!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lyz posted:

On the down side, I buy a stroller because Massachusetts was taking forever to turn to winter so I figure he's finally old enough that being out in 40 degree weather won't hurt him, and it freaking snows. I may have to go to a freaking mall or something, I'm going stir crazy.

Going to a mall is a good alternative. Getting out of the house really helps :) What kind of stroller is it? Many strollers are just fine of snow. Also, 40 degrees f is more than warm enough for a baby as long as he is well dressed and cozily wrapped in blankets and stuff. Generally, -10 C (14 F) is the low end of the spectrum; temperatures below that aren't good for a baby's tiny lungs, so if it's that cold or colder I'd keep it to short (15 minutes or less) trips.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Panne posted:

Going to a mall is a good alternative. Getting out of the house really helps :) What kind of stroller is it? Many strollers are just fine of snow. Also, 40 degrees f is more than warm enough for a baby as long as he is well dressed and cozily wrapped in blankets and stuff. Generally, -10 C (14 F) is the low end of the spectrum; temperatures below that aren't good for a baby's tiny lungs, so if it's that cold or colder I'd keep it to short (15 minutes or less) trips.

I got the Graco Trekko. I wanted a good walking outdoors stroller that I could have the option of throwing my car seat into (I have a Chicco seat and it fits), plus I liked the style. But it went from no snow and 40s to snow and temperatures in the teens, so I shelved the whole going outside thing for now. On the plus side, we're planning a couple weeks in Florida next month so it will get plenty of use then!

Speaking of traveling, anyone fly with an infant before? I'm stressing myself out thinking of all the stuff I want to bring down for the baby, but I think we're going to fly so that kind of cuts down on things. I figure the car seat and stroller can get checked at the gate, but with him having his own suitcase, bringing either the bassinet or his pack n play, and our stuff we're going to end up checking a lot of stuff. Anyone have any advice on an easy way to do this?

(And Whitey, where'd you get that life vest? I think they'll have a boat down in Florida and I'd love to take the little man out on it.)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lyz posted:

I figure the car seat and stroller can get checked at the gate, but with him having his own suitcase, bringing either the bassinet or his pack n play, and our stuff we're going to end up checking a lot of stuff.

If you plan on renting a car, sometimes car rental places allow you to rent car seats. You can hold him on the plane if this is the case. You can also pack his clothes into your suitcases.

If you're willing to spend the $$ you can purchase something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...d=2QKCM4LAI6LQO for travel (after that you can easily tote it around the house to place the baby in when you need to shower, cook, etc). If you're renting a room in a hotel, most hotels provide cribs. You can call to confirm that.

As for the stroller thing, you could save a LOT of hassle if you decide to just take a baby carrier. How long do you plan on being down there?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Lyz posted:

(And Whitey, where'd you get that life vest? I think they'll have a boat down in Florida and I'd love to take the little man out on it.)
From here;
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=144&item=18270&intAbsolutePage=1

But I am in Australia so that link is likely useless to you.

It's for 3-10kg (6lb 10oz - 22lb)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

bamzilla posted:

As for the stroller thing, you could save a LOT of hassle if you decide to just take a baby carrier. How long do you plan on being down there?

We're going down there for two weeks most likely, staying in a house that the husband's parents own. They'll be down there too. They think they may actually buy a cheap car because they plan on driving down there in a pickup truck (to haul more stuff down) and want a car handy for more seating.

It's a bummer they're staying so much longer than we were planning on visiting for... I could load them up with some stuff to take down there, but I'd have to do without it for three or so weeks at home.

I wish we could just drive down and then we can load the car up with everything we'd need, but that's a long trip to take with a three month old. I don't think my husband would be thrilled either if I made him drive by himself and the kiddo and I flew. XD

I guess I can leave the stroller behind, I guess my mentality was that it would be nice to go on walks and such while we're down there, and he's getting pretty heavy. A stroller would probably be more comfortable for both of us. I guess I'll just have to call whatever airline we're taking and find out how much they let you check at the gate.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lyz posted:

We're going down there for two weeks most likely, staying in a house that the husband's parents own.

If it's a narrow/umbrella style stroller it'll be easier to transport. I think I just envisioned a giant travel system stroller. If it's 2 weeks, I'd want a stroller. If it would have been for a week or a few days I would probably go without.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I'm prepping our master bedroom now so we can sidecar a crib as recommended in this thread. I'm thinking about room temperature, and realized that our room is consistently at 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit, sometimes lower. We would like to avoid the heater if possible (my wife is scared of them -- similar to Koreans and fans..).

I'm guessing that's way too cold for a baby -- do I have any options? I will convince my wife to use a small space heater with thermostat if necessary.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Do you close the door when you're sleeping? If not, closing the door will trap your body heat in there and make a little less drafty. Also if you have a PC in the room (I know not everyone does) leave it on at night and it will help keep the room warm.

Maybe you should explain all the safety features on some heaters to help keep her calm. Lots of heaters even shut off if they get knocked over or too hot.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Bank posted:

I'm thinking about room temperature, and realized that our room is consistently at 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit, sometimes lower.

We keep our room at 62 degrees now, not because of the baby, but because I was freezing my rear end off feeding her with no shirt on at 58 degrees (if we raised the temp any more, I wouldn't be able to sleep). We use either the fleece sleepy sacks or some fleece footy PJ's and mitten each night. She's usually quite warm in that, and if I'm really worried she's cold, I also swaddle her in a light cotton blanket. You don't have to heat the room to 75 just because there is a baby in there, but make sure everyone is comfortable with where the temperature is.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for the tips -- It really is quite cold in the room, so it might be even colder than 55 since some mornings I don't even want to get changed because my clothes are ice cold. I will have to first try and convince my wife to use a small space heater. Otherwise we'll have to try doubly hard to keep the baby warm/comfortable when the time comes.

My wife is more worried about health (dry skin, dehydration) than the house burning down.

Bank fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 17, 2012

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Another idea is to use a warm steam humidifier -- you'll probably want to use a humidifier anyway with a new baby and the warm steam kind will absolutely help warm the room up.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Lyz posted:

We're going down there for two weeks most likely, staying in a house that the husband's parents own. They'll be down there too. They think they may actually buy a cheap car because they plan on driving down there in a pickup truck (to haul more stuff down) and want a car handy for more seating.

It's a bummer they're staying so much longer than we were planning on visiting for... I could load them up with some stuff to take down there, but I'd have to do without it for three or so weeks at home.

I wish we could just drive down and then we can load the car up with everything we'd need, but that's a long trip to take with a three month old. I don't think my husband would be thrilled either if I made him drive by himself and the kiddo and I flew. XD

I guess I can leave the stroller behind, I guess my mentality was that it would be nice to go on walks and such while we're down there, and he's getting pretty heavy. A stroller would probably be more comfortable for both of us. I guess I'll just have to call whatever airline we're taking and find out how much they let you check at the gate.

Maybe you could go on Florida's craigslist and buy a cheap stroller to use while you're there, maybe have the in-laws pick it up before you get there. Airlines might charge for checking one anyway.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We have an oil-filled radiator type space heater. There are no exposed heating elements and it automatically shuts off if it tips. Ours has a digital readout that allows you to set it at a specific temp, instead of just vague low, medium and high settings. We turn the central heat off at night and turn on the space heater in our bedroom and keep the door shut. Everyone is warm and we're not heating an empty house all night.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Bank posted:

My wife is more worried about health (dry skin, dehydration) than the house burning down.

lotion and a humidifier.

You can also get something called a dish heater which also has a safety shut off for over heating. My friends have one for their basement since it's only half finished so it can get pretty drat cold in the portion that is finished.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Bank posted:

I skimmed right past this. This is silly. Get some lotion and a $20 humidifier. Babies don't sleep soundly if they're too cold or too hot. If you keep your room that cold, you'll have luxurious skin and a squalling baby. :thumbsup:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My sister keeps her thermostat at 63 degrees. She lives in a drafty 120 year old farmhouse in a place that sees multiple sub-zero days and has five kids. They're all fine. The baby will adjust. Just remember that back in the old days people wore nightcaps for a reason: hats trap body heat. Slap a fleece sleeper on baby, put her in a sleepsack, pop a hat on her head and she'll be good to go. Alternately you might consider cosleeping since your body heat will also help keep baby warm.

I feel you about the ice cold clothes. Man I hate going up there for Christmas. At least my Smartwool socks get a work out (get these, they rule, I would buy a smartwool bodysuit if they made one).

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah, understood that my wife has a bit of a tin foil hat on as she mentions these things to me. Just to be clear, she's worried about the baby dehydrating and skin getting dry, not so much hers. I think the warm humidifier idea is great, I've been meaning to buy one and she should be fine with it since it will only help the baby. Our bedroom isn't very big, so it should be perfect.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Dr Sears says "Keep a consistent bedroom temperature around 68-70 ?F and a relative humidity of around 50 percent." http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/faqs-about-sleep-problems/sleepwear

I think 55-60 sounds too cold for a newborn. I would convince her to get some kind of heater.

Another website says 65-70 is a good temperature: http://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/tips/best-baby-sleep-tips/

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 17, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Chickalicious posted:

We have an oil-filled radiator type space heater. There are no exposed heating elements and it automatically shuts off if it tips. Ours has a digital readout that allows you to set it at a specific temp, instead of just vague low, medium and high settings. We turn the central heat off at night and turn on the space heater in our bedroom and keep the door shut. Everyone is warm and we're not heating an empty house all night.

I'd also recommend this type of heater. I was always nervous about the kind that blow hot air, but after I borrowed the oil radiator from a family member, I feel pretty safe with it. I also thought that it wouldn't put out nearly as much heat as the other kind, since there's nothing blowing the air around, but I've found it to be a lot more efficient than other heaters. Mine has a timer on it too, so I can set it to turn itself off after a few hours.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
If you get a heater, definitely get a humidifier! You may think she's being paranoid but when we pumped up the heater in our place to accommodate for baby-safe temps, I started waking up with bloody noses and chapped lips every morning until we invested in one. Would hate for that to happen to baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
For those of you considering or already in daycare, do you recommend a place that's closer to your office or home? I'd really like to visit the baby during lunch but it would be more convenient for my husband if it's closer to home. It's slightly more expensive to be closer to my office but my husband is on the road a lot.