Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

JSnake posted:

To be fair, that blog is terrible itself. I can't count how many times the guy running it has jumped the hate gun only for the journalist to clarify his position on Twitter and ultimately come off a whole lot more reasonable than the blog guy.

Yeah, I tried reading a few entries, but stopped when I got to the guy raving about how horrible gamers and journalists are for reporting about some devs joking about making Arkham World or something(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Ok heres the Kato and Ken muli-upload link

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Is there really any more Dating Sims that Arino can do? They seem really hard to fit in the format the show is using, along with RPGs. I'm honestly surprised they haven't done Dragon Quest 1, considering the visual themes the intermissions use.

The next best thing for me is Adventure games. I loved the Clock Tower and Out of This World episode. How many of those does Arino do?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Davzz posted:

The next best thing for me is Adventure games. I loved the Clock Tower and Out of This World episode. How many of those does Arino do?

Check out the Hokkaido Serial Murders episode.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I still cannot believe they haven't done Metal Gear. It seems really weird since they have done plenty of Konami games, Kojima was interviewed for the show, the game has been in the opening credits for years and the it would be perfect for the show.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

iastudent posted:

Check out the Hokkaido Serial Murders episode.

I thought I would love that episode, but it was not that good. As a baka American it was hard to keep track of all the names, and it seemed like there weren't very many intermission segments. There wasn't any exciting mystery solving either, I mean the plot was pretty terrible.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

I still cannot believe they haven't done Metal Gear. It seems really weird since they have done plenty of Konami games, Kojima was interviewed for the show, the game has been in the opening credits for years and the it would be perfect for the show.

And it'd be the perfect way to have the MSX on the show! (yeah, yeah, they'd probably do the Famicom version...)

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok heres the Kato and Ken muli-upload link

Perfect! Downloading now, thanks.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

miscellaneous14 posted:

Ahahaha, as a side-note, the same supervisor I mentioned awhile ago who was already a fan of Arino and various Japanese comedies like that (her knowledge of this stuff is comparable to zari-gani, it's uncanny), did a pseudo-LP of this game and everyone at work got a kick out of it. She has this picture above her desk.

I showed this to a friend and he knew exactly who she was, and proceeded to link me to a bunch of her other stuff.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Davzz posted:

Is there really any more Dating Sims that Arino can do? They seem really hard to fit in the format the show is using, along with RPGs. I'm honestly surprised they haven't done Dragon Quest 1, considering the visual themes the intermissions use.

Yeah, DQ 1 would be perfect, but I would guess that Square-Enix is not keen on letting it happen with any of their properties. There hasn't been any titles by them on the show yet, has there?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

redmercer posted:

And it'd be the perfect way to have the MSX on the show! (yeah, yeah, they'd probably do the Famicom version...)

This brings up an interesting question. When a game is available on multiple platforms, what dictates which platform they use? Metal Gear on the MSX is a different game than the one on the Famicom, and the Famicom one isn't the fondly remembered one (at least not in Japan). If they ever played Prince of Persia 2, would they use the PC version (or maybe the Japan released PC 98 version), or would they use the inferior SNES version (I don't even know if the game got a SuFami release)?

Just something I've been wondering.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SmockJoc posted:

Yeah, DQ 1 would be perfect, but I would guess that Square-Enix is not keen on letting it happen with any of their properties. There hasn't been any titles by them on the show yet, has there?

Actraiser is it IIRC.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

take_it_slow posted:

Perfect! Downloading now, thanks.

Serious question, why do people prefer Multiupload to torrents?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Silentman0 posted:

Serious question, why do people prefer Multiupload to torrents?

Sometimes their internet connection is faster through DD than torrents.

Sometimes they live on leased places where they don't want to risk torrents, even for uncopyrighted stuff. (See, apartments, dorms, school computers)

Sometimes torrents just plain don't work in general, due to their ISP or geographical region.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Vlaphor posted:

This brings up an interesting question. When a game is available on multiple platforms, what dictates which platform they use? Metal Gear on the MSX is a different game than the one on the Famicom, and the Famicom one isn't the fondly remembered one (at least not in Japan). If they ever played Prince of Persia 2, would they use the PC version (or maybe the Japan released PC 98 version), or would they use the inferior SNES version (I don't even know if the game got a SuFami release)?

It's safe to say they stick with the consoles because more people are familiar with them and they're easier to set up (or replace if they break). And with a true multiplatform release, it seems clear that they, again, go with the likely more familiar version. Yes, I'm sure they could have hooked up a SuperGrafx to play a better version of Ghouls 'N' Ghosts, but they went with the original MD version because it was made into a big deal at the time and you don't need to find hard sales numbers to figure out that more people played it on Mega Drive.

Davzz posted:

Well, you implied as much already: Full-on RPGs will likely never happen, even if it's Dragon Quest. Imagine how uneventful that ep would really be. Be happy we got Zelda games at least (or not, considering what people think of the OOT episode).

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 16, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just wish Arino would play some old Leisure Suit Larry game. It would not only totally fit him, but Im sure he would think of the most retarded poo poo to till Larry to do!

Something tells me it never got a Japanese translation though...

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

I just wish Arino would play some old Leisure Suit Larry game. It would not only totally fit him, but Im sure he would think of the most retarded poo poo to till Larry to do!

They got to have changed the name if they did.

...and after a little research it was only released in the us and eu

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

Well, you implied as much already: Full-on RPGs will likely never happen, even if it's Dragon Quest. Imagine how uneventful that ep would really be. Be happy we got Zelda games at least (or not, considering what people think of the OOT episode).

Yeah as much demand as there may be for Arino to play through Dragon Quest (and I'm sure Japanese fans are calling for it) I have to agree. There's just not enough "action" to it to justify an episode.

But I also wouldn't be shocked to see something featuring Arino playing Dragon Quest eventually. Just not a challenge.

I just ordered more famicom games for my GCCX collection. From what I'm finding the worst two games to complete the set are Mr. Gimmick and Bio Miracle. For most of the more expensive games Arino has played there's a less expensive alternative available out there: Battle Formula may have cost the show $250 for a boxed copy but you can get a loose Super Spy Hunter cart for a couple of bucks. Those two however just don't seem to have any inexpensive options.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

SmockJoc posted:

Yeah, DQ 1 would be perfect
It would be fun at first until you realize that 70% (maybe more) of it is grinding. If they ever do Dragon Warrior/Quest, they should have him do the Game Boy version in Dragon Warrior I & II (it's Super Game Boy compatible, so they could do something like that one mini-segment where he played random Game Boy games on a SGB). I've never played much of it myself, but I know the enemies in that drop a shitload more XP and gold that makes grinding a lot less tedious.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Speaking of retro game collecting, I bought Chrono Trigger sealed over Winter break for 2,000 yen, around 26 USD I believe. This weekend I went into a recently opened Book Off and found it, in a box in pretty good condition for 105 yen, along with Shin Megami Tensei 1 for the same price. I bought both, so now I've got two copies of the drat game. They also had Ghosts and Gobins for 500 yen, a full thousand less than most other places selling it.

Let this be a lesson: Always hunt for retro games in stores not dedicated to them first. And if there's another retro game store somewhat close to a Super Potato, for the love of god check the other one first! I learned my lesson on that one before it was too late, thankfully.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 16, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nickoten posted:

Speaking of retro game collecting, I bought Chrono Trigger sealed over Winter break for 2,000 yen, around 26 USD I believe. This weekend I went into a recently opened Book Off and found it, in a box in pretty good condition for 105 yen, along with Shin Megami Tensei 1 for the same price. I bought both, so now I've got two copies of the drat game. They also had Ghosts and Gobins for 500 yen, a full thousand less than most other places selling it.

Let this be a lesson: Always hunt for retro games in stores not dedicated to them first. And if there's another retro game store somewhat close to a Super Potato, for the love of god check the other one first! I learned my lesson on that one, thankfully.

It also helps that the Japanese retro market isn't as rabid as America.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I went back to Kotaku to see if the articles about Arino coming to America were really as bad as I remember. Yes. They were.

http://kotaku.com/5837877/meet-the-retro-game-master

That's the only warning they gave anyone about the vist, 2 days ahead of time. In fact the bottom of the article credits another website for the news. This is the show Kotaku spent money to get an exclusive license to.

http://kotaku.com/5839212/meeting-the-kacho/gallery/1?tag=retrogamemaster

And that's the article about it after it happened. Several days later and basically just copy/pasting segments from peoples emails who actually gave enough of a poo poo to actually attend the event.

They literally gave no shits about their TV show acquisition.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 16, 2012

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah as much demand as there may be for Arino to play through Dragon Quest (and I'm sure Japanese fans are calling for it) I have to agree. There's just not enough "action" to it to justify an episode.

But I also wouldn't be shocked to see something featuring Arino playing Dragon Quest eventually. Just not a challenge.

They really could just do it as a sequel to ring ring tactics just do like 1 hour of gameplay condensed to 5-10 min. in show over a season.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I think once the numbers dipped by episode 3 they just wrote it off outside of posting the next episode.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Gutcruncher posted:

I went back to Kotaku to see if the articles about Arino coming to America were really as bad as I remember. Yes. They were.

http://kotaku.com/5837877/meet-the-retro-game-master

That's the only warning they gave anyone about the vist, 2 days ahead of time. In fact the bottom of the article credits another website for the news. This is the show Kotaku spent money to get an exclusive license to.

http://kotaku.com/5839212/meeting-the-kacho/gallery/1?tag=retrogamemaster

And that's the article about it after it happened. Several days later and basically just copy/pasting segments from peoples emails who actually gave enough of a poo poo to actually attend the event.

They literally gave no shits about their TV show acquisition.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Davzz posted:

The Septentrion/SOS episode on youtube is a good one, his reactions to the AI freaking out are pretty funny.

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?

Kiranamos posted:

What was the "unique interpretation" of the Atlantis no Nazo episode? The original episode was pretty excellent.

The majority of my complaining has to do with the big reveal at the end. The "Master" you are trying to save is actually the main character from Ikki (another early Sunsoft title, and the game for which the term "kuso-ge" was invented).

TV-Nihon version:
Arino: What about the master?
Toujima: This is the master.
Arino: Isn't this person from Ikki? This person is from Ikki, isn't he?

KOTAK version:
Arino: Which one is the master?
Toujima: It's him.
Arino: This one? Isn't he one of the lives?

I can understand where maybe the average viewer might not be familiar with Ikki, but "one of the lives" doesn't make sense in any context.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Gutcruncher posted:

Monkey Island got a Japanese release on Sega CD, that's the only classic adventure game that I'm aware of that I know for sure was released in Japanese. Leisure Suit Larry would fit in really well with Arino though since he'd try all the dirtiest possible things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GidgetNomates posted:

Monkey Island got a Japanese release on Sega CD, that's the only classic adventure game that I'm aware of that I know for sure was released in Japanese. Leisure Suit Larry would fit in really well with Arino though since he'd try all the dirtiest possible things.

There's been a lot more than that but the PC didn't get a lot of strength in Japan as a gaming platform so they generally weren't very high profile. I know that Maniac Mansion's NES port was released in Japan, for example.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?
There were 6 LucasArts games released for the Fujitsu FM Towns computer.

Most if not all of them have improved graphics and/or sound over the DOS versions.

Zak McKracken even had the graphics slightly retooled to look more animeish if you're playing it in Japanese. The Towns version of Loom is considered by many fans of that game to be the superior port, better even than the CD 'talkie' version for PC.

Needless to say these all command high prices if you're looking to collect.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

If Game Center CX is Top Gear, who is Game Center CX's Stig?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

zari-gani posted:

Urakawa.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

zari-gani posted:

I'd go with Abe, since hides behind a maskcamera most of the time.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Plasquatch posted:

The majority of my complaining has to do with the big reveal at the end. The "Master" you are trying to save is actually the main character from Ikki (another early Sunsoft title, and the game for which the term "kuso-ge" was invented).

TV-Nihon version:
Arino: What about the master?
Toujima: This is the master.
Arino: Isn't this person from Ikki? This person is from Ikki, isn't he?

KOTAK version:
Arino: Which one is the master?
Toujima: It's him.
Arino: This one? Isn't he one of the lives?

I can understand where maybe the average viewer might not be familiar with Ikki, but "one of the lives" doesn't make sense in any context.

一機 is a term that is thrown around enough in the series to warrant some confusion but it seems that the translator was just bored of his job and just wanted to get it over with. On the other hand, did Kotaku use caption notes to explain jokes and stuff? It could just be he didn't want to bother translating a reference he couldn't explain.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

GidgetNomates posted:

I was thinking Abe too, what with his mysterious silent presence, affinity toward cars and hidden talents.

NeilPerry posted:

一機 is a term that is thrown around enough in the series to warrant some confusion but it seems that the translator was just bored of his job and just wanted to get it over with. On the other hand, did Kotaku use caption notes to explain jokes and stuff? It could just be he didn't want to bother translating a reference he couldn't explain.

The title itself was put up in quotation marks as an in-show subtitle. Here's a screenshot. A quick Google search would reveal to anyone what the reference is.

They don't use notes, but even if they wanted to gloss over the reference, like Plasquatch said "isn't he one of the lives" doesn't make any sense. Kotaku also once translated ikki as "one machine" in Ninja Gaiden, which is weird since they translated it correctly in all other instances as far as I remember.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It also helps that the Japanese retro market isn't as rabid as America.

Yep...

(Arino's remark upon seeing that was "Whoa, that's expensive!")

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 16, 2012

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Sweet William posted:

There were 6 LucasArts games released for the Fujitsu FM Towns computer.

I would kill to see a Monkey Island GCCX...

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

GidgetNomates posted:

But is Stig a triple threat (cameraman/cook/mangaka)?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
An RPG or adventure game might work better as a 24-hour game. That way they don't have to chop out all of the story. (Of course, Arino might need a bit of help to finish one in 24 hours... but since when is that new?)

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I want to see Arino and an AD team up and play Toejam & Earl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

But is Stig a triple threat (cameraman/cook/mangaka)?

No, but some say that he lives in a tree and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals.

Just saw the new staff bio on the OP by the way. Good work!