Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Iacen posted:

Also, I may have to temper my criticism of the 1.1 update. The inclusion of those monster eggs could actually be very nice in adventure maps. Imagine walking through a fully lit library or something, only to discover that it on the return trip has been filled with monsters.
I bet it could be arranged with redstone and dispensers, to let waves upon waves attack the player.

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually updated, so I don't know if it actually works like that. But as a more Dungeon Master-like element, I think it's quite nice!)

Mob eggs don't work in dispensers. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Yeah :(

Which doesn't make sense since it would probably have been extremely easy to just copy the chicken egg code and change the spawned mob and the spawn rate to 100% rather than make an entirely new entity from scratch, but... I can't think of a countervailing clause to put after that "but".

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Willie Trombone posted:

Yeah :(

Which doesn't make sense since it would probably have been extremely easy to just copy the chicken egg code and change the spawned mob and the spawn rate to 100% rather than make an entirely new entity from scratch, but... I can't think of a countervailing clause to put after that "but".

So how DO they work? Do you place and then break them to get mobs out?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

What the gently caress? Optimism cancelled! What else could those eggs be used for, if not building elaborate traps?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

The very first thing I tried to do was make a dispenser that fired Creepers. :(

EDIT:

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So how DO they work? Do you place and then break them to get mobs out?

They allow you to place mobs when you are holding the egg by right-clicking somewhere.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Polka_Rapper posted:

They allow you to place mobs when you are holding the egg by right-clicking somewhere.

That is the least useful mechanism I have ever heard of.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

That is the least useful mechanism I have ever heard of.

Mobs created from eggs seem to be persistent. Ergo, you can make adventure maps with the enemies or other mobs pre-placed.

EDIT: According to the wiki, I'm wrong. Never mind.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Cheap Shot posted:

We suffered the slow roll of the end lore, fumbling, trying to figure out how to banish it and return to the game. A force quit and restarting minecraft woke me to a horror. The scrolling text resumed on log in.

Oh my god. :cry:

I tried to think of a way to make the dragon more fun as a fight, but it really just shines a spotlight on how horrid Minecraft combat can be. I guess changing the crystals from items on towers to items being carried by Endermen could make it less of a pain. But better? Eh...

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

kas posted:

:wooper:

:allears:

I cobbled together my own pack from the images you released when you were done, but I'm going to go through the customizer tonight and make a 'real' pack with all the new stuff. I think this will be the 22nd custom Painterly pack I've made.

One question: Have you ever thought about enabling Randomobs support for the customizer? Right now I pretty much just make a custom pack and then download the entire pack for manual customization and place/number the files myself, but a checkbox for each mob that just puts every possible file for them in the mobs folder would be really awesome.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 16, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The mob eggs don't seem to be stackable though anyway.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
And that guy who made Cube World has decided he likes being independent and chose not to join Mojang. There's some irony here somewhere.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Disappointing Pie posted:

And that guy who made Cube World has decided he likes being independent and chose not to join Mojang. There's some irony here somewhere.

Dude's crazy.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Cheap Shot posted:

Playing Tekkit multiplayer, we entered the end wearing pumpkins and sporting mining laser rifles. Battery packs draining as we filled the sky with laser beams. Blasts of pure energy slamming constantly into the dragon. He flew around dopily, as if in a stupor, not even bothering to fight back. And yet it ground on, until the retarded blocky beast fell abruptly from the sky. Suddenly, an unexplained park fountain dropped on our heads and half of us were ejected without getting experience. Those who remained laughed mercilessly at those poor unfortunates who were to experience the end of Minecraft for the first time. We suffered the slow roll of the end lore, fumbling, trying to figure out how to banish it and return to the game. A force quit and restarting minecraft woke me to a horror. The scrolling text resumed on log in. I feared I was trapped, doomed to read endless drivel. It's quality not unlike that which a socially challenged youth with delusions of anime vampirism would produce. Perhaps worse. I clicked the safety off the glock in my hand, while I blindly mashed the keyboard. I wondered which would end first, my torment, or my life. In the end, I managed to escape the matrix inspired horsecrap of an ending though complete chance. I to this day don't remember what key was my angel of mercy. In this life, you just can't question miracles. The End would not be my end that night, but still I lay awake, wondering. will I be as strong in times ahead?

Wait... can you not actually skip the end text?

(I have basically zero interest in The End so I don't know personally).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Triumphant posted:

Wait... can you not actually skip the end text?

(I have basically zero interest in The End so I don't know personally).

You can, just hit escape. But that's less interesting from a suffering point of view.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

kas posted:

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

I am so glad to have contributed to this :) Bees for the bee hell!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Dude's crazy.

No, dude was probably sane enough to realize that working under Notch may not be the best thing.

God forbid Notch hires someone who is a workaholic, think of the conversations that would arise when Notch starts throwing a tantrum over his mandatory company game time. :v:

I mean, just look at what they have for the top five reasons why you should work for Mojang.

5) We’re less serious than many other companies. We rely on having a pool of talent rather than long discussions, and make decisions very organically and spontaneously. (We don't plan poo poo, we just throw half thought ideas and features and hope the pile doesn't fall over)

4) We encourage people at Mojang to speak publicly about what they do and have a personal connection with the players. (Even if it causes massive drama, also note that we don't have an actual PR person, just a girl who baked a cake that was hired as "Director of 'Fun'")

3) Tobias Möllstam (What)

2) We have mandatory gaming Friday afternoons. Working after lunch on Fridays is frowned upon. (Having a laid back attitude in the office can be nice, but saying that working is frowned upon? Seriously?)

1) Mojang’s mission statement is “Mojang shall be the most influential indie game development studio on Earth”, and we intend to live up to that. I kid you not. (OK, mission statements mean jack poo poo, why is this considered your NUMBER ONE reason to apply?)

This is a company that will fall apart (or dissolve when Notch has to decide between working at a loss or keeping his money) in a few years, Minecraft's popularity will one day wane and with the work ethic we've seen so far I have doubts that Mojang is going to make another smash hit. I mean, Cobalt isn't even Mojang's game, and the next Mojang title is a card battle game. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the whole virtual card battle fad had long since passed. Everything else released so far is all Minecraft related what with Minecraft Pocket and Notch thinking about developing Minicraft into something more robust.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Enzer posted:

No, dude was probably sane enough to realize that working under Notch may not be the best thing.

God forbid Notch hires someone who is a workaholic, think of the conversations that would arise when Notch starts throwing a tantrum over his mandatory company game time. :v:

I mean, just look at what they have for the top five reasons why you should work for Mojang.

5) We’re less serious than many other companies. We rely on having a pool of talent rather than long discussions, and make decisions very organically and spontaneously. (We don't plan poo poo, we just throw half thought ideas and features and hope the pile doesn't fall over)

4) We encourage people at Mojang to speak publicly about what they do and have a personal connection with the players. (Even if it causes massive drama, also note that we don't have an actual PR person, just a girl who baked a cake that was hired as "Director of 'Fun'")

3) Tobias Möllstam (What)

2) We have mandatory gaming Friday afternoons. Working after lunch on Fridays is frowned upon. (Having a laid back attitude in the office can be nice, but saying that working is frowned upon? Seriously?)

1) Mojang’s mission statement is “Mojang shall be the most influential indie game development studio on Earth”, and we intend to live up to that. I kid you not. (OK, mission statements mean jack poo poo, why is this considered your NUMBER ONE reason to apply?)

This is a company that will fall apart (or dissolve when Notch has to decide between working at a loss or keeping his money) in a few years, Minecraft's popularity will one day wane and with the work ethic we've seen so far I have doubts that Mojang is going to make another smash hit. I mean, Cobalt isn't even Mojang's game, and the next Mojang title is a card battle game. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the whole virtual card battle fad had long since passed. Everything else released so far is all Minecraft related what with Minecraft Pocket and Notch thinking about developing Minicraft into something more robust.

I was gonne write up something like this, but you did it in a far more sane way than I could have put together.

Seriously, Mojang doesn't exactly look like a company that have their poo poo together.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Which is sad because they REALLY do have some talented folks on board. If Notch was just a regular level employee and they had someone who knew how to... give direction I guess would be a good way of putting it, actually knew how to run things and giving structure to the team, the company would do fine. Unfortunately that isn't the case and I have a feeling it is because Notch is still clinging to this sense of wanting to be an "Indie" game developer while still having a multimillion dollar company.

Notch needs to hire someone who can direct the team and give it structure, step down a little and really take this:

Word of Notch posted:

When doing a programming test for a large US based game developer, I did well on most tests. After the programming test, they told me it was obvious that I was intelligent, but also that I was self-taught. I had to work on programming more carefully and think things through before diving in, or I’d have a hard time working in a large group. Externally, I nodded politely. Internally, I was stunned and confused.

To heart and maybe take some side classes, broaden what code he is proffecient at (so we can move away from Java maybe, Minecraft Pocket was written by Jeb in C++) and maybe get to the point where he can work better with others because everyone is using similar coding methods. I mean, watching Notch code on one of his live streams is migraine inducing and I feel sorry for Jeb having to comb through Minecraft's code now and sort it all out.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Enzer posted:

(so we can move away from Java maybe, Minecraft Pocket was written by Jeb in C++)

I didn't know that. I wonder if there are plans to actually convert to C++ when the Pocket edition has been worked on for a bit.
That would be neat, especially if there is a performance boost to be gained.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Enzer posted:

It seems like Notch is convinced that Mojang's success is based on force of personality rather than the fact that Minecraft was a really interesting product that blew up more or less by accident.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Why is Minecraft Pocket written in C++ when Android does Java?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Install Gentoo posted:

Because the iPhone probably doesn't. And there's no reason to build it twice when they can do it once that works on both platforms.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Coleman posted:

Because the iPhone probably doesn't. And there's no reason to build it twice when they can do it once that works on both platforms.

They have to build it twice anyway to run it on both android and ios.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Disappointing Pie posted:

This isn't really surprising. What would you rather do:

- Develop your own game
- Spend countless hours digging through Notch's garbage java code, the end goal being maybe a few improvements to Minecraft, while having Notch as your boss.

The real question here is: What salary did Notch offer this guy? I need to know. Knowing Notch, I'd guess $30k.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 16, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Iacen posted:

I didn't know that. I wonder if there are plans to actually convert to C++ when the Pocket edition has been worked on for a bit.
That would be neat, especially if there is a performance boost to be gained.

They'd kind of have to release the API alongside it too, because you can't reverse-compile a C++ program anywhere near as easily as Java. That is, you'd kill all modding except for texture packs, basically.

It also wouldn't improve much because Minecraft's problem is that Notch is apparently self-taught and has no idea how to properly optimize the game, and all the dumb, inefficient code in Minecraft now would probably carry over unless someone else took a long, hard look through everything and changed it as they rebuilt it.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Install Gentoo posted:

They have to build it twice anyway to run it on both android and ios.
I am by no means a programmer, but they wouldn't have to completely rebuild it twice would they? Modify, maybe, but less work than rebuilding it in two different languages.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Many reasons. Besides the issue between java and the iPhone, a few are:

-Minecraft Pocket is a limited creative mode, but is now being patched to be more like the PC survival mode, so initially it did not need a lot of the code minecraft PC had.

-Jeb was the one who coded Minecraft Pocket, I believe Jeb is more proficient in C++ (probably the same for the guys maintaining the code now) while Notch is really only good working with Java, you don't see Notch touching other coding languages often at all.

-Minecraft PC has very little optimization, still has a ton of memory leaks and has a lot of what I would describe as bloated code. To get this to run on a phone it had to be recoded anyway and C++ is a much more stable language to work with.

PalmTreeFun posted:

They'd kind of have to release the API alongside it too, because you can't reverse-compile a C++ program anywhere near as easily as Java. That is, you'd kill all modding except for texture packs, basically.

It also wouldn't improve much because Minecraft's problem is that Notch is apparently self-taught and has no idea how to properly optimize the game, and all the dumb, inefficient code in Minecraft now would probably carry over unless someone else took a long, hard look through everything and changed it as they rebuilt it.

That is the beauty of it though, Notch doesn't do C++ as far as I am aware and Jeb did all the code for Minecraft Pocket, literally rebuilding everything from scratch, the code for Pocket is SO much cleaner. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that Jeb has probably put too much work into the Modding API and that Notch would never allow it, I would love for Jeb to just take a few months, pull up the original Pocket code and finish it so that it has all of the current 1.1 features into it, get a competent modding API set up (because the current way of doing things is retarded) and then just moving on from there, hell it would make adding more game features to the Pocket edition that much easier and hell, you know for sure that the guys making the 360 version are probably ripping out their hair trying to recode Minecraft as well.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 16, 2012

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

PalmTreeFun posted:

Notch is apparently self-taught and has no idea how to properly optimize the game, and all the dumb, inefficient code in Minecraft now would probably carry over unless someone else took a long, hard look through everything and changed it as they rebuilt it.

This is really what needs to happen, and I assume why the API is taking so goddamn long. His code is utter crap. The game is a horrible inefficient resource hog for no good reason whatsoever except the he just jumped in and wrote without any planning and just kept piling it on. I think Jeb is just going to have to entirely rewrite a lot of the game in order for an API to work, and hope every day that's what's happening, and that Notch stepped out because he can't handle seeing his "baby" getting wrecked, even though it's being dismantled because he's bad at coding.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Boat posted:

This is really what needs to happen, and I assume why the API is taking so goddamn long. His code is utter crap. The game is a horrible inefficient resource hog for no good reason whatsoever except the he just jumped in and wrote without any planning and just kept piling it on. I think Jeb is just going to have to entirely rewrite a lot of the game in order for an API to work, and hope every day that's what's happening, and that Notch stepped out because he can't handle seeing his "baby" getting wrecked, even though it's being dismantled because he's bad at coding.

The worst part about it is that it's not like dumb slap-yourself-on-the-forehead poo poo. It's like, oh yeah let's glBegin glEnd every character drawn to the screen for text in multiplayer, and let's do the same for each cube used for the models in the game. What's a VBO? How do I OpenGL? :saddowns:

That's just on the display end of things. I don't even wanna know how bad the world handling and physics code is, looking at all the weird batshit insane glitches carts and redstone have.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

The worst part about it is that it's not like dumb slap-yourself-on-the-forehead poo poo. It's like, oh yeah let's glBegin glEnd every character drawn to the screen for text in multiplayer, and let's do the same for each cube used for the models in the game. What's a VBO? How do I OpenGL? :saddowns:

That's just on the display end of things. I don't even wanna know how bad the world handling and physics code is, looking at all the weird batshit insane glitches carts and redstone have.

Oh god, when I found out how he has signs coded, I thought a bit of my brain died. I don't understand how someone could write some of this poo poo, step back and go "Yep, that's good" and then go on his marry way.

Watching him code is horrible, he mass copies bits of his code and tweaks it slightly for different things, but you end up with a lot of redundant code or stupid things like when giving dimensions of a cube instead of just giving, say "h=50" he has it do something like "h=2*25", he'll then have that line run for width and length and then use that same method for anything that needs dimensions, all those small calculations begin to add up and that is why his drat code is so bloated.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cheap Shot posted:

Battery packs draining as we filled the sky with laser beams. Blasts of pure energy slamming constantly into the dragon. He flew around dopily, as if in a stupor, not even bothering to fight back. And yet it ground on, until the retarded blocky beast fell abruptly from the sky.

So, it was kind of like Ghost Busters, then?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Enzer posted:

That is the beauty of it though, Notch doesn't do C++ as far as I am aware and Jeb did all the code for Minecraft Pocket, literally rebuilding everything from scratch, the code for Pocket is SO much cleaner.

Eh? Is the source for Minecraft Pocket out there somewhere?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

feedmegin posted:

Not as far as I know, but seeing as the pocket version even runs while the PC version even gets laughed at by TF2 for being a huge fatass that stuffs RAM and processor cycles into his face all day long, I'd say it's an improvement. :pcgaming:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

feedmegin posted:

You might be able to unpack the apk file, I'm not really sure what's in them though.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

PalmTreeFun posted:

One problem is that lwjgl has frankly horrible documentation, and differs from c++ OpenGL in crucial ways that are barely mentioned.

In other news, the new coder is doing some long needed improvements to AI:

quote:

I have now separated the mob head from the movement dir, so they can walk one dir and look another.

quote:

I think I will doing a lot of debugging when it comes to mobs. Right moving wolves into new ai system.

quote:

Yes, zombies spots you and tries to look at you while moving after a path to you. (Wont get stuck against glas walls for example)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zombies are supposed to get stuck on simple obstacles, they're zombies.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

pseudorandom name posted:

Zombies are supposed to get stuck on simple obstacles, they're zombies.

Indeed
http://youtu.be/uv-FORwG2oo?t=1m5s

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
I loving love the fact that pathfinding is something that they're only just starting to implement in the game...

I mean it would probably take me half a morning to bang out some A* that works on a regular 3d grid. Obviously a bit more to optimise it properly but still...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is pathfinding something that we actually need or want in the game, though?

Just give us more items please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Is pathfinding something that we actually need or want in the game, though?

Just give us more items please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQdLIPApRE