Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Schwarzwald posted:

So, it was kind of like Ghost Busters, then?

Yeah, but without any particular charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I think the stuff about Minecraft's poor coding is more interesting than the game itself (same with Terraria) and I wish there was a huge thread specifically about bad game coding (I know there's one about coding but it's just in general and doesn't explain to people who don't know certain languages and/or coding at all).

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jamesman posted:

Is pathfinding something that we actually need or want in the game, though?

Just give us more items please.

More items would be nice, but pathfinding is important. Good pathfinding will turn combat from "thwart hordes of undead by hiding behind a tree" into, well, something approaching combat. Plus wolves won't fall into lava anymore, God willing.

I would think that more items and block types would be a pretty easy to do, but then again I am assuming that there's some kind of logical, modular structure behind it all. Judging by some of the comments on notch's programming skills, I'm probably incredibly wrong.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Didn't he put in the snow goloms with actual pathfinding?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Kas, the painterly update is AWESOME, but the little tiny preview icons are all kinds of hosed the hell up (most of the rollovers are OK though).

Also you misspelled cracked as craked somwhere, and the original ghast tear option is missing I think? Not missing, just has a preview image and name that are wrong, shows up as the first choice as a bee honey drop, but gives the single blue tear-shaped ghast tear. :shobon:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 16, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Fuego Fish posted:

More items would be nice, but pathfinding is important. Good pathfinding will turn combat from "thwart hordes of undead by hiding behind a tree" into, well, something approaching combat. Plus wolves won't fall into lava anymore, God willing.

I can understand wanting to improve pathfinding for wolves (GET INSIDE THE HOUSE JERK), but wanting to improve it for enemies and making combat into a bigger deal than it currently is doesn't seem like a positive thing. I kind of prefer getting enemies stuck behind blocks to easily kill them or keeping them at a safe distance where I don't have to worry about them right away.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is that Matsumoto moon supposed to be Hitoshi Matsumoto of Downtown fame? Because if so that's pretty amazing. The Giygas is pretty nice too.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I can understand wanting to improve pathfinding for wolves (GET INSIDE THE HOUSE JERK), but wanting to improve it for enemies and making combat into a bigger deal than it currently is doesn't seem like a positive thing. I kind of prefer getting enemies stuck behind blocks to easily kill them or keeping them at a safe distance where I don't have to worry about them right away.

I'm sure they still won't be able to figure out waterfall ladders

at least, I hope so :ohdear:

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
I'll settle for fixing the memory leaks that force me to restart the program every 15 minutes.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Disappointing Pie posted:

And that guy who made Cube World has decided he likes being independent and chose not to join Mojang. There's some irony here somewhere.

I think I know how this went...

Notch: Do you want to work here at Mojang?
Guy: Sure!
Notch: You'll be working with me on Scrolls!
Guy: Actually, I really like being independent.

e: or they finally realized the guy doesn't code Java.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Is pathfinding something that we actually need or want in the game, though?

Just give us more items please.

The work being done on improving AI capacity for the current mobs will allow new mobs to be more interesting in what they are able to do. The AI guy is doing things the smart way instead of just leaving Notch's old AI code and slapping new code on top and making every new mob use that. With simple things like pathing the Ender Dragon fight could be improved because it would be able to better go after you (also needs more kinds of attacks).

Improved AI of mobs also gives a reason finally to actually look at combat and go "OK, this definitely needs to be improved". So hopefully we will see improvements there as well. Like maybe better block/actual shields, changed sword hit detection, new weapon types, etc.

Before we get new items though (at least physically placable items), Jeb needs to sort the code out to be able to increase the number Block IDs without having Java consume more ram than it already does, which probably means redoing how Minecraft even stores Block IDs. Jeb also needs to take a page out of Eloraam's book about how to store a ton of items to the same block ID.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
So I finally got to The End (the stronghold was glitching inside an underground ravine, was quite amusing) and I have on question. Is it supposed to spawn me on a single block of obsidian with the main part being several blocks away? Granted there are many other things I could moan about but that was fairly near the top.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Light Gun Man posted:

Is that Matsumoto moon supposed to be Hitoshi Matsumoto of Downtown fame? Because if so that's pretty amazing. The Giygas is pretty nice too.

Yes indeed, that's our man!

Boat posted:

Kas, the painterly update is AWESOME, but the little tiny preview icons are all kinds of hosed the hell up (most of the rollovers are OK though).

WAY TO CLEAR YOUR CACHE AND HARD REFRESH THE PAGE AS INSTRUCTED.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone here ever played Vechs Race for the Wool maps? Seems like something SA would be all over.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/191908-ctmcollection-%E2%98%A0-vechs-super-hostile-series-%E2%98%A0/

Super Hostile Race for Wool 01 Hostilities Begin Recommended Players: 4 to 8
Super Hostile Race for Wool 02 Direct Fire Recommended Players: 4 to 8

Basically two teams race on identical lanes to try to capture three wools and place them on the victory monument before the other team.

There's been live streamed matches with commentators and everything popping up on Youtube lately.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I love you Painterly Pack~

I also love this wonderful bit of therapy with monster eggs.

Die you long scary things that always ruin my tables. :argh:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

I love you Painterly Pack~

I also love this wonderful bit of therapy with monster eggs.

Die you long scary things that always ruin my tables. :argh:

Run along a cliff with a Ghast egg and just pop them out as fast as you can.

Oh god, the sounds

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Once Minecraft sales level off 2-3 years from now Mojang's stated worth ethic will not be sustainable unless they manage to come up with another completely unique and novel game like Minecraft. Considering Scrolls and Cobalt, I don't think they have the ammo. By now they should have started on their next big thing already in order to keep up.

Right now the company is literally running the business model and work ethic of a 90s Dot Com firm. Notch will not care because he will leave with sacks of money and retire. Everybody else will be laid off, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing as any of them given the opportunity.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

babies havin rabies posted:

Once Minecraft sales level off 2-3 years from now Mojang's stated worth ethic will not be sustainable unless they manage to come up with another completely unique and novel game like Minecraft. Considering Scrolls and Cobalt, I don't think they have the ammo. By now they should have started on their next big thing already in order to keep up.

Right now the company is literally running the business model and work ethic of a 90s Dot Com firm. Notch will not care because he will leave with sacks of money and retire. Everybody else will be laid off, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing as any of them given the opportunity.

I'm sure the talented guys like Jens will end up leaving the company voluntarily and working for Valve or something. Notch may have a lot of money but I bet his employees don't, and who knows what'll happen once the Minecraft sales taper off.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Has anyone had problems with 1.0 using Bukkit and only a couple of plug-ins (We're using one that keeps creepers from blowing blocks up, not sure what if anything else is enabled) and had said problems disappear when moving to 1.1? Our server crashes pretty much immediately as a third person logs on, and has been for a couple weeks. We don't want to update it yet though since Bukkit hasn't updated, but it's getting to the point where three or more of us want to play at once but we can't since the server restarts itself when that third person logs on. We've also gotten a "CPU lagspike, tell your administrator as it's probably caused by a bad plug-in!" message several times, even when I've been the only one online...

I just don't know what to do to fix it, our hosting service put in a plug-in that reduces the memory needed by letting the spawn chunks go inactive if no one's there (it was taking up 150 MB between the normal world, the nether and the End to keep those chunks active) which should have let another person or two play, but we're still getting the crash with the third person.

I just want to play with blocks and this memory problem isn't letting us. Notch/Jeb please fix your code :(

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone here ever played Vechs Race for the Wool maps? Seems like something SA would be all over.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/191908-ctmcollection-%E2%98%A0-vechs-super-hostile-series-%E2%98%A0/

Super Hostile Race for Wool 01 Hostilities Begin Recommended Players: 4 to 8
Super Hostile Race for Wool 02 Direct Fire Recommended Players: 4 to 8

Basically two teams race on identical lanes to try to capture three wools and place them on the victory monument before the other team.

There's been live streamed matches with commentators and everything popping up on Youtube lately.

I really wanna play those maps with someone!! But I havent raised a finger to make that happen until now

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Here's an example of one of the maps. I think it's a bit old but the map hasn't changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP_UANBBaKQ

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Here's a more recent match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEgn3Zj8io

This video is from a team that has an extremely tight build order and assigned roles; the other videos I've see has them basically destroying the opposition, but this one is a much narrower race.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 17, 2012

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Polo-Rican posted:

The real question here is: What salary did Notch offer this guy? I need to know. Knowing Notch, I'd guess $30k.

This is a guy who made the main speakers at his for-profit con pay for their own airfare and speak for free and got furious when they asked to be partially compensated.

I'd be amazed if the salary offer was anything more than "we'll buy you lunch and give you a company t-shirt."

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

The Triumphant posted:

This is a guy who made the main speakers at his for-profit con pay for their own airfare and speak for free and got furious when they asked to be partially compensated.

haha what. Hasn't he made like 40 million off his lovely Java game?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

pseudorandom name posted:

This video is from a team that has an extremely tight build order and assigned roles; the other videos I've see has them basically destroying the opposition, but this one is a much narrower race.

That was beautiful, and anyone who hasn't seen it definitely should.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

That's exciting, no idea what I'm watching.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hey thats one of cyriaks tunes! (Its perfect)

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
So, Mojang websites are going black on the eighteenth in protest of SOPA. Cool, but the Cobalt and Minecraft login servers are still going to be on.. which sort of kills the effect. "If SOPA passes, you won't be able to view our websites if someone wants them censored.. but you can still play the games." Doesn't sound so bad to me!!

I can understand why they wouldn't want to inconvenience customers.. but like I said, it kind of neuters the blackout.

edit: nvm im dumb. I didn't realize it'd only prevent people from playing multiplayer. I remember when Notch was in Norway or whatever and the server was down for weeks and some dude with a Sonic-themed domain hosted the tools to authenticate logins. That was a bit shady, actually..

moondust fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 17, 2012

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

To be fair it'd be like two seconds between Mojang's login servers being taken down and someone providing hacked tools to skip the login requirement. They're being realistic.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

haha what. Hasn't he made like 40 million off his lovely Java game?

Aye. That was the incident where he flipped it at the yogscast guys for asking for payment. Notch reckoned that nobody else got paid, so neither should they. Frankly the fact nobody else asked to be paid ought have been irrelevant. The yogscast people brought and bring marketing value to a product thats made a fortune, and as much as I strongly dislike the over-entitled notch bashing that goes on these and other forums, the man was completely wrong about attacking the yogscast lads over that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This might be old news by now, but I just noticed that pumpkins and watermelons no longer need farmland to spawn from a vine. So that's good.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

duck monster posted:

Aye. That was the incident where he flipped it at the yogscast guys for asking for payment. Notch reckoned that nobody else got paid, so neither should they. Frankly the fact nobody else asked to be paid ought have been irrelevant. The yogscast people brought and bring marketing value to a product thats made a fortune, and as much as I strongly dislike the over-entitled notch bashing that goes on these and other forums, the man was completely wrong about attacking the yogscast lads over that.

As I recall, the Yogcast people were fairly inappropriate and disrespectful while there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Met posted:

As I recall, the Yogcast people were fairly inappropriate and disrespectful while there.

Wasn't this already debunked?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Debunked? I had friends there that said they were fairly inappropriate. Not sure how one can debunk opinion.

Considering it was fairly big news from multiple sources, I'm inclined to believe it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Met posted:

Debunked? I had friends there that said they were fairly inappropriate. Not sure how one can debunk opinion.

Considering it was fairly big news from multiple sources, I'm inclined to believe it.

The only news I saw was people reposting the statements Notch made on his twitter. In fact the only things I saw was evidence that the Yogscast guys were perfectly nice. Maybe that's because they come from here so there's a bias towards them but I don't remember hearing any other stories about them being lovely. Maybe you should share your friends stories about how they were being inappropriate?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wasn't this already debunked?

Not necessarily. Notch was overreacting to whatever it was they might have done, but him overreacting at all means they had to have done something to upset him. Nobody ever bothered to find out what it was (because they didn't curse out any children, that's for sure).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Al! posted:

The only news I saw was people reposting the statements Notch made on his twitter. In fact the only things I saw was evidence that the Yogscast guys were perfectly nice. Maybe that's because they come from here so there's a bias towards them but I don't remember hearing any other stories about them being lovely. Maybe you should share your friends stories about how they were being inappropriate?

This post was a little more hearsay then I remember it being. Oh well.

quote:

So, it's got everyone worked up now and into a Notch vs Yogscast thing. We didn't see the Yogscast group live but I just watched the video. They were told to do a panel with a Q&A and they ignored that and put together a bunch of videos instead. The videos contained lots of F words. (bad choice on their part). There were a ton of kids there, very young kids. Lots of families. Not a good place to use the F word and I'm sure they were told to watch the language.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Met posted:

Since you regged just yesterday, I will provide this link for you:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=227#post397830549

Start reading here. It contains the entirety of the debate on this thread, including a great many links to other things directly related. As much as I hate hearing the bashing, I'd really much rather hear current problems than a rehashing of the old ones.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
This is the thread you want to read for all the details - Minecon - Hitler could've made this, it doesn't change the fact it is best game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Met posted:

This post was a little more hearsay then I remember it being. Oh well.

quote:

So, it's got everyone worked up now and into a Notch vs Yogscast thing. We didn't see the Yogscast group live but I just watched the video. They were told to do a panel with a Q&A and they ignored that and put together a bunch of videos instead. The videos contained lots of F words. (bad choice on their part). There were a ton of kids there, very young kids. Lots of families. Not a good place to use the F word and I'm sure they were told to watch the language.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust your source too much. They don't know the half of it. To sum up a huge debate with first hand info, the Yogs weren't told to do a panel with Q&A, and to watch the language, because they weren't told anything. They were given no guidelines or censorship at all. All of their content contains swearing, all of it. The Mojang staff they had reviewing content just waved it by and didn't say anything so they figured it was ok, and maybe Notch had had the foresight to include a disclaimer on their panel that it may contain harsh language or something along those lines. Nope! There weren't even tables and chairs there for the 6 hour autograph session. They had to go find their own.

The complete truth is that Notch had absolutely no foresight at all. He barely planned the convention, and spent as little as he possibly could, and then left everything up to a handful of mojang staff and some woman with pink hair he found on youtube. He mostly just had an idea and then was very upset on twitter that it didn't all run itself and that so many things went wrong. We of course didn't hear anything from him about Minecon goers being bounced out of the Deadmau5 concert en masse.
He had numerous opportunities to ask Yogs to change their content beforehand, and then numerous more to discuss his grievances in person afterwards. But instead of being an adult, or the head of a multimillion dollar video game company, he got on twitter after a night of partying and started slamming his highest profile guests. He called them islands of ego because they were hoping the thousands of dollars they spent on air fair to get there from england might be reimbursed? Well they agreed to go under that impression and found out after they had booked their flights that he had decided, no, that they earned enough money through Minecraft already. Like by notches grace they are popular or something. :shepicide: Islands of ego? Notch was having a convention for his basement indie game that he hadn't even properly finished yet.

I wonder how often Yogs will be leaving their islands to visit Notches Continent of Smug Self-Entitlement in the future?

edit: grammer!

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 17, 2012