Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
How should it have been pronounced, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with you people, of course it's pronounced ho-door, as in look at those hos use that door, and I didn't even realize there was another way to pronounce Arya at all.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
Shouldn't it be like "Airy-a"? Because y'know, her being called Arry' at times. I don't even remember how they said it in the show to be honest.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

How should it have been pronounced, then?

Are ya.

neongrey posted:

I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with you people, of course it's pronounced ho-door, as in look at those hos use that door, and I didn't even realize there was another way to pronounce Arya at all.

Hodor is a servant so he uses the ho door to get the hoes and hos.

Also I hate all of you. Absolute fuckers.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Chipolte_Away posted:

You couldn't have Bran slip his skin into a full fledged human
Do you mean physiologically, or in an ethical sense? Because Varamyr basically tries to take up permanent residence in a spearwife's body in the ADWD prologue, so I don't think the latter objection is really à propos here.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I think he's talking in terms of difficulty. Varamyr was weakened, sure, but he was still the most powerful fully-trained warg we know of, and he couldn't manage to force his way into that spearwife's body. Presumably it's easier to warg into less sapient creatures, so Hodor would be easier than, say, Meera or Jojen.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I always thought it was Arry-a when I was reading the books but Arr Ya works too I suppose.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Orbital Sapling posted:

Shouldn't it be like "Airy-a"? Because y'know, her being called Arry' at times. I don't even remember how they said it in the show to be honest.

There's some inconsistency with how things are pronounced in the show. Mostly it's are-e-ya, but sometimes it's are-ya. Daenerys sometimes gets an extra syllable thrown in, too.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if they did that on purpose, like the dialect in King's Landing is different from the North.

Or maybe I am just trying to rationalize something that is their mistake.

Anywho, I just did a search on Wikipedia for "Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog", and Wikipedia suggest that I search for "Wanderer Above the Sea of Food" and the first thing to come to mind was "by George R. R. Martin, his first painting"

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
It's clearly pronounced "arrhea" as in diarrhea.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I pronounce it ɑriɑ (IPA)

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Arya is an actual real world name, so go with that pronunciation. This isn't Drizzt Do'urden or whatever that garbage is called.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I also pronounce "Ned" as "Fuckingbadass"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Dead Man Posting posted:

I also pronounce "Ned" as "Fuckingbadass"

Ned, it rhymes with dead. You have to know your name.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ned, Ned, it rhymes with head.

How can you rhyme with that which you do no longer possess?

Ned Ned it rhymes with dead.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If you don't like hodor I'm about to show you the ho door. You a ho.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I read them as Hoe-door and Are-yuh.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bigmcgaffney posted:

This isn't Drizzt Do'urden or whatever that garbage is called.

Yo, at least Drizzt is pretty obvious in a clumsy-rear end fantasy way. I was taken quite aback when I discovered Guenhwyvar is pronounced "Guinevere", considering Guen was a guy for the longest time.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yo, at least Drizzt is pretty obvious in a clumsy-rear end fantasy way. I was taken quite aback when I discovered Guenhwyvar is pronounced "Guinevere", considering Guen was a guy for the longest time.

If you were a good reader you would have seen the obvious foreshadowing of good sir Guen's fantasy sex change. Pay more attention, Master _of_tyshalle.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

bigmcgaffney posted:

If you were a good reader you would have seen the obvious foreshadowing of good sir Guen's fantasy sex change. Pay more attention, Master _of_tyshalle.

It's good to see a subtle treatment of transgender issues in a licensed fantasy work :allears:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I plan to troll this thread suggesting that holders of disenting opinions "be better readers" until TWoW is released.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Sorry, that position is already filled. We'll keep your resume on file and let you know if a new employment opportunity arises.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Ross posted:

I plan to troll this thread suggesting that holders of disenting opinions "be better readers" until TWoW is released.

This were the last words of the creature we now refer to as the ghost of ASOIAF, forever doomed to roam these boards and to suck shitdick. Because there will be no next book.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Do you guys suppose the chapter that the Dear Leader posted on his website was something new that he wrote recently or just something cut from ADWD? The cut stuff that was previously noted didn't mention any Theon chapters to my knowledge.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ross posted:

was something new that he wrote recently

Ross posted:

something that he wrote recently

Ross posted:

something that he wrote

Highlighted the classical logical fallacy here (assumptio of gurmwritio).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Not quite, neongrey. The key fallacy is actually:

Ross posted:

he wrote

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Well, gently caress me for not reducing it all the way.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

neongrey posted:

Well, gently caress me for not reducing it all the way.

I think you mean gently caress me bloody.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

zocio posted:

I think you mean gently caress me bloody.

Moon blood or miscarriage? Though Daario did 'gently caress' Danaerys Targaryen, roughly and repeatedly, there were no instances that he bloodied her vagina with his manic thrusting. In fact, it was not until chapters later when Daario was captured by enemy forces that her bloodying occured on the Dothraki sea. In thr question above, only if you subscribe to the latter school of thought is Daario (or Hizrahr) tangentially responsible for the blood.

So by your joke I assume you buy into this theory, which I call, "The Daario Vitality Ultimatum".

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Edit: Double post, for my posting vitality may rival even Daario.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I will need detailed descriptions of Tyrion pissing in at least four chapters to consider Book 6 a success.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Will Daario and Dany's inevitable love child have blue or silver hair, and blue or purple eyes? :iiam:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Joramun posted:

Will Daario and Dany's inevitable love child have blue or silver hair, and blue or purple eyes? :iiam:

Daario dies his hair you noob.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ross posted:

Ned dies.

Daaaaaaario dyes.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ross posted:

That does not preclude anything I said, unless there is an Essosi law against dyeing babies' hair.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
We can only hope Daario's natural hair coloring is revealed in future novels.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Aegon is the one that dyes his hair.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ross posted:

We can only hope Daario's natural hair coloring is revealed in future novels.
Aegon (VI) dyes his hair blue too, and his eyes have that special Targ color but appear blue like Daario's. This must have some significance.

Conclusion: Daario is a secret Targ.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Aegon "pick up those loving chess pieces" Targaryen is actually a secret Daario, I think you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

One does not preclude the other. Daario could even be Rhaegar in disguise.