Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
The best podcasts on tech in the industry. The funniest. The most insightful. And there's enough to listen to something almost every day!

You might read daring fireball. It's enormously popular. John Gruber is even better as audio. (John Gruber moved the Talk Show to Mule Radio)

You may have heard of John Siracusa. He's (in)famous for writing huge articles on Mac OS X for Arstechnica and griping about the Visual Finder. His podcast is hilarious. (John Siracusa discontinued his podcast)

You've definitely seen a tumblr site at some point. Maybe you even use instapaper. That's Marco Arment. (Marco Arment discontinued his podcast)

And 43folders was really famous. Getting Things Done is still a huge movement. Merlin Mann is absolutely, mind-blowingly funny.

Asymco.com is probably not on your radar. Or possibly it is. It's new, it's small, but it's the best business and financial analysis of the tech and phone industry. Horace Dediu is a genius. The man figured out smartphones were the future. In the 90s. Went to work for Nokia. Decided they would fail and went to do his own thing. And he got an MBA from Harvard Business School. He is very, very smart, and worth your time.

Finally, Dan Benjamin is one of the best podcast hosts you could ever hope for. He's witty, just snarky enough, but able to stay out of the way while the "hosts" of his podcasts speak. He's really the host though. He'll keep people on topic, keep things focused, and make sure every episode is interesting.

(Let's Make Mistakes is also excellent.) (Let's Make Mistakes also moved to Mule Radio)

5by5.tv

what is this fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Marco Arment is the smartest man who uses PHP. Possibly the only smart man who uses PHP.

I've only ever heard Build & Analyze; thanks for reminding me to check out the rest of the podcasts in this network. I think I'll give Back to Work a shot - holy crap, Rob Corddry was on an episode of that :aaa: guess I know which one I'm starting with.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm happy to see 5by5 represented so quickly here. Dan Benjamin does great work, and his decision to bring Merlin Mann onto the network made me a die-hard devotee.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

As soon as I saw the new subforum, I knew I'd have to start this thread if no one else did. I can't say enough good things about 5by5.

I have to admit that when I first found the network I thought that Dan was really dull, and just basically listened for the co-hosts. Over time I've grown to love him though. I think I just didn't get his humor until I listened to him for a couple hundred hours.

I wish there would occasionally be some more crossover between the shows, though. I loved the episode of The Talk Show that Gruber did with Merlin while Dan was on paternity leave. Dan's co-hosts all have such different styles, so I think it would be great to hear how they would play off of each other every so often.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Anal Volcano posted:

Marco Arment is the smartest man who uses PHP. Possibly the only smart man who uses PHP.

I've only ever heard Build & Analyze; thanks for reminding me to check out the rest of the podcasts in this network. I think I'll give Back to Work a shot - holy crap, Rob Corddry was on an episode of that :aaa: guess I know which one I'm starting with.

Whatever you do, don't listen to that episode first.

Merlin Mann is fantastic but also completely incompetent at hosting a podcast. He's great with Rob but you have to listen the After Dark first, because Merlin didn't really edit it right, and anyways he's completely ADHD.

Dan Benjamin is very underrated in terms of how he holds Merlin together. This became obvious when Dan left and Merlin got all these amazing guests and they just babbled, completely unfocused, and Merlin just hit the record button at some random point, and cut it off again somewhat randomly an hour or so later.

John Gruber suffered somewhat when Benjamin was gone. Siracusa was a bit annoying, but he has a script and stuck to it. You miss the constant, subtle teasing Dan Benjamin makes about Siracusa's peeves, it's not as good without that constant poking. Marco pretended to like and get along with the fill-in guy, but you can tell Marco is kind of a company man, he'll pretend to like anything (though not do a great job). There just wasn't the spirit without Dan Benjamin.

Horace Dediu was just fine without Dan because Horace just speaks, like a college professor giving a lecture. Or a preacher. Or maybe it's like listening to a prophet. Horace is brilliant and you can just soak it up, there's no story or conversation. Dan rarely gets a word in edgewise, rarely needs to, and my main complaint about his show is how quickly it ends.

what is this fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 22, 2011

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Diabolik900 posted:

I wish there would occasionally be some more crossover between the shows, though. I loved the episode of The Talk Show that Gruber did with Merlin while Dan was on paternity leave. Dan's co-hosts all have such different styles, so I think it would be great to hear how they would play off of each other every so often.

There is a fair amount of crossover. Merlin listens to everything, Marco listens to a fair amount, and Siracusa seethes in the IRC channel for every taping.

When they call it the squidward show he's there, in the channel, commenting.

The whole toaster oven thing was an extended practical joke/gag about Siracusa and his aspergers.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

what is this posted:

There is a fair amount of crossover. Merlin listens to everything, Marco listens to a fair amount, and Siracusa seethes in the IRC channel for every taping.

When they call it the squidward show he's there, in the channel, commenting.

The whole toaster oven thing was an extended practical joke/gag about Siracusa and his aspergers.

This is all true, and I do enjoy that stuff, but what I mean is that I would like to hear a couple of them on the same show together every so often. I wouldn't want it to be every week by any means, but maybe once a month or even every two months or something. Maybe, we'll get a bit of that whenever they actually start doing that movie show they've talked about doing for a while now. Or maybe I'm wrong and they just shouldn't mess with something that already works.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Well, I guess dan and faith have a show now.

edit: OK, it's sort of funny, he's completely making fun of faith. you like jeggings, right? and the gaga? I buy my jeans in bulk, is that not how you do it?

what is this fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 24, 2011

Roeun
Dec 11, 2010
I quit listening to Back to Work for a while when all they did was talk about fear and Buddhism. But it seems to be sort of getting back on track now.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'll never understand why Merlin is so polarizing. I guess it's because I've been such a big fan since the 43folders days, but I think a lot of the stuff he says is generally sound and delivered in an entertaining way. You can assail the practicality of it all day long, but I don't know if that justifies some of the venom I see (or that he comments on).

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Today is the inaugural episode of the andy ihnatko's podcast (about comics?).

Live right now.

http://5by5.tv/live

http://5by5.tv/schedule

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I enjoyed the show, even though I read very few comics. Plus it's an interesting change of pace for a 5by5 show to actually announce a topic a week in advance.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

5by5 continues to gobble up existing geeky podcasts:

http://5by5.tv/incomparable

I've only listened to a couple episodes of The Incomparable before, but it seems like a great fit to me. Essentially it's just a bunch of geeks having a roundtable discussion of geeky movies, tv, and books. Siracusa is on it semi-regularly, and Gruber has been on it at least once that I know of.

I do wonder how the mythical 5by5 movie discussion show would fit in now that they have this on the network. Maybe that was the idea though. Maybe they decided it would be better to have The Incomparable brought into the fold than to start a similar new show. On the other hand, there's already a lot of content overlap between many of the shows, so maybe they wouldn't even mind having.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis
Back to Work was my gateway into the 5by5 world, just because I've always been a huge fan of Merlin's ever since he used to be on the TWiT shows regularly. I can see how he's divisive, though. I feel like BtW has gotten more unfocused since they attacked a lot of the basic topics at the beginning (I discovered it late and ended up listening to 20+ episodes of backlog), but I still enjoy listening to it and of the many podcasts I listen to, it's the one I anticipate most and the only one I give my full attention. I enjoyed the episodes when Merlin was solo host but I agree they demonstrated how much Dan holds things together, and I would probably have gotten sick of them if they had continued for much longer.

I'm giving his show with Faith a try, and Andy Ihnatko's new show as well. I don't regularly listen to the Talk Show but I'll download an episode here or there if it looks interesting (John and Merlin, John and Dan talking about Steve Jobs retiring, etc.)

Plus, I love the art style for the show logos. Can't put my finger on why.

Nadesico
Jun 15, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I enjoy the core 5by5 shows almost universally. I find a good deal of the stupidity from Leo Laporte's network is absent here. Dan has this thing down pretty well now and manages his core shows especially well. Someone else in this thread mentioned how Dan prods his co hosts to keep things interesting or moving. He really does a nice job and deserves success with his network.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Nadesico posted:

I enjoy the core 5by5 shows almost universally. I find a good deal of the stupidity from Leo Laporte's network is absent here. Dan has this thing down pretty well now and manages his core shows especially well. Someone else in this thread mentioned how Dan prods his co hosts to keep things interesting or moving. He really does a nice job and deserves success with his network.

5by5 puts TWiT to shame. The flagship TWiT show on sundays has slowly devolved into old people talking about dumb, stale Techmeme items and rumor speculation no one cares about, followed by endless self-promotion. You have Patrick Norton, Dvorak, and all these dinosaurs from the 90's who have been out of the tech game for years opining on things they have no business discussing.

I used to have lots of respect for Leo but he has bunch of faces depending on which show he's on. Goes on Windows Weekly and bashes Android. Goes to the Google show and shits on Microsoft.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
In case you missed it, the wrap up show after Apple's Keynote yesterday was really excellent.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

cioxx posted:

5by5 puts TWiT to shame. The flagship TWiT show on sundays has slowly devolved into old people talking about dumb, stale Techmeme items and rumor speculation no one cares about, followed by endless self-promotion. You have Patrick Norton, Dvorak, and all these dinosaurs from the 90's who have been out of the tech game for years opining on things they have no business discussing.

I used to have lots of respect for Leo but he has bunch of faces depending on which show he's on. Goes on Windows Weekly and bashes Android. Goes to the Google show and shits on Microsoft.

I am really turned off to twit as well.

Just listened to both geek Friday shows and they were pretty decent, its my first dan benjamin fix he seems pretty good.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm trying to read the descriptions of their shows and I can't quite understand: do any of them talk about non-Apple platforms to any significant degree? I spurn Apple and I was automatically turned off by this network because I think John Gruber is an annoying cock, and he was the first name attached to it in their Wikipedia entry.

I'll give people who say TWiT isn't that great some credit, but probably about half of their office doesn't use iPhone and several of their people (including Leo) loves Google as much as I do. It's not that Gruber is enthusiastic about Apple, it's that he seems to be dedicated to spreading the political dogma with a lot of HURR HURR DONT BE EVIL RITE GUYZ stuff that just pisses me off.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

If you don't like Apple, this might not be the network for you.

Back to Work is the only show on the network (that I listen to) that isn't entirely Apple-centric.

Edit: There are shows that deal with movies and comics, but I haven't paid too much attention to them.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 7, 2011

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Craptacular! posted:

I'm trying to read the descriptions of their shows and I can't quite understand: do any of them talk about non-Apple platforms to any significant degree? I spurn Apple and I was automatically turned off by this network because I think John Gruber is an annoying cock, and he was the first name attached to it in their Wikipedia entry.

I'll give people who say TWiT isn't that great some credit, but probably about half of their office doesn't use iPhone and several of their people (including Leo) loves Google as much as I do. It's not that Gruber is enthusiastic about Apple, it's that he seems to be dedicated to spreading the political dogma with a lot of HURR HURR DONT BE EVIL RITE GUYZ stuff that just pisses me off.

Marco Arment criticizes Apple a lot. John Siracusa's show is based on the premise of criticizing Apple.

Neither of them are android "fans," though. You'll have to listen to oggcasts for that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

what is this posted:

Marco Arment criticizes Apple a lot. John Siracusa's show is based on the premise of criticizing Apple.

Neither of them are android "fans," though. You'll have to listen to oggcasts for that.

While it's true that they both criticize Apple, it's more from the perspective of "I'm a big fan of Apple and I use their products, but this is where they could improve." They are much more critical of Apple's competitors, but that's not the focus of their shows.

I'll echo the sentiment that if you're not a fan of Apple, this network isn't for you. Even the shows that aren't about Apple are hosted by enthusiastic Apple users.

squash86
Feb 25, 2005
Saving the world, one snack at a time...

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'll never understand why Merlin is so polarizing. I guess it's because I've been such a big fan since the 43folders days, but I think a lot of the stuff he says is generally sound and delivered in an entertaining way. You can assail the practicality of it all day long, but I don't know if that justifies some of the venom I see (or that he comments on).

I love me some Merlin, but lately I've been bored with BTW. I can't seem to put my finger on why though. Although, I really liked him on the Talk Show.

So.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
There's something really adorable about Marco and Dan talking about SUVs and minivans and kids on the newest Build & Analyze :3:

"I mean, you or me could probably scale a wall - "
"Oh yeah, part of my daily workout."

e: the After Dark is good too.

"Do any minivans go 0 to 60 in 5 seconds?"
"I don't know, I'm more concerned about the safety of my family :colbert:"

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 1, 2011

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
I like Back to Work, mostly because I think Merlin is a mad genius. He flips from really smart and inspiring to stupid hilarious so fast. He was why I listened to MacBreak weekly (Andy is why I continue to). I like Gruber but don't listen to the talk show.

I really wish You Look Nice Today would return. I think it is one of the top 10 funniest things to EVER go up online.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

StrikerObi posted:

I like Back to Work, mostly because I think Merlin is a mad genius. He flips from really smart and inspiring to stupid hilarious so fast. He was why I listened to MacBreak weekly (Andy is why I continue to). I like Gruber but don't listen to the talk show.

I really wish You Look Nice Today would return. I think it is one of the top 10 funniest things to EVER go up online.
Sometimes (but not always) I enjoy the After Darks even more than the real show. I'm a sucker for Merlin and Dan doing funny voices.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

Diabolik900 posted:

Sometimes (but not always) I enjoy the After Darks even more than the real show. I'm a sucker for Merlin and Dan doing funny voices.

Yes. I only listen to the BtW After Darks, and love them. Merlin's fascination with that one Cars character (Guido?) makes me smile so much. Pit stop!

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone listen to the last two Hypercriticals about the Jobs biography? They were super nitpicky (not that I'd expect less from the guy who writes zillion-word OS X reviews), and I can't deny I enjoyed reading the Isaacson bio, but by the end Siracusa had me pretty persuaded that the whole thing represents a missed opportunity.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

patricius posted:

Anyone listen to the last two Hypercriticals about the Jobs biography? They were super nitpicky (not that I'd expect less from the guy who writes zillion-word OS X reviews), and I can't deny I enjoyed reading the Isaacson bio, but by the end Siracusa had me pretty persuaded that the whole thing represents a missed opportunity.
They were both great. I think it's worth pointing out for anyone who hasn't listened yet that it wasn't like, "Here's a bunch of nitpicky reasons I didn't like the book." It was more like, "Here's why the book was a wasted opportunity, plus a ton of nitpicks."

I think Hypercritical is becoming my favorite show on the network.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I hope J. Sir gets around to doing the video game episode. They've touched on it in the After Dark several times, but a full-on Hypercritical about the topic would delight me.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

I think Hypercritical is becoming my favorite show on the network.

It hasn't quite reached that point yet, but there's definitely a 5by5 creep in my podcast listening. I started off with just Back to Work, then dipped in to the Ihnatko Almanac (easy enough of a gateway since I'm a longtime MBW listener), Geek Friday, the Talk Show and now Hypercritical. The one constant in all of these is Dan as a co-host... I'm really apprehensive about trying any of the shows he isn't on, even though I'd say I trust his taste pretty thoroughly at this point. Anyone a regular listener to the shows that Dan doesn't co-host and have a recommendation or two to make?

At this rate I'll be a paleo-eating software developer by January.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

"I look a little homeless."
"No. You look reeeeally homeless."

A minute in and I'm already laughing at the new Back to Work.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Build and Analyze was good this week. Last week too, love the hilarious coffee chat and a great balance of real dev stuff.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

This week's super-sized Hypercritical was really good. I have to admit, I was expecting it to be an annoying show to listen to from the description, but I like it more and more each week. His analysis of why Gruber is divisive was really cogent and fair, and managed to articulate something I sort of felt but hadn't been able to figure out for a long time. The whole "partisan" discussion was really interesting in general.

Is Build and Analyze worth listening to if you don't have a software development background? I listen to pretty much all the other 'core' shows, but I've never listened to B&A.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

patricius posted:

Is Build and Analyze worth listening to if you don't have a software development background? I listen to pretty much all the other 'core' shows, but I've never listened to B&A.
It's really not as development-heavy as you might expect. It really covers pretty similar ground to The Talk Show, at least as far as tech topics go. And even when they talk about development topics, it's usually about high-level strategy kind of stuff, and not nitty-gritty coding details. I don't enjoy it as much as Hypercritical, The Talk Show, and Back to Work but I still think it's worth listening to if you like those shows.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.

Diabolik900 posted:

It's really not as development-heavy as you might expect. It really covers pretty similar ground to The Talk Show, at least as far as tech topics go. And even when they talk about development topics, it's usually about high-level strategy kind of stuff, and not nitty-gritty coding details. I don't enjoy it as much as Hypercritical, The Talk Show, and Back to Work but I still think it's worth listening to if you like those shows.

I just sat in the B&A chatroom for the first time because I was interested in the reasoning behind the enormous mute switch debate.

I now see why they call them jackals.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

While far from the worst Internet discussion area, I've found that the chat room is not somewhere I want to spend my time. The only time I ever use it is to suggest show titles, and that's rare.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
For fans of Merlin Mann may I suggest instead his podcast Roderick On The Line, which is a good hour of general Merlin nonsense banter that doesn't have to live under the conceit that it's trying to help anyone be better at anything.

I listened to maybe ten Back To Work episodes back in the day and got tired of this weird sycophantic interaction:

Merlin: (hours of babbling)
Merlin: Oh god, was any of that any good? Is this helping people?
Dan: I think that was great.
Merlin: You think so? I don't think it was any good.
Dan: No, this is what people want.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Yes, Roderick on the Line is a good representation of Merlin -- him at his best in some ways -- but I have learned a ton from Back to Work. I use Instacast to listen to my podcasts and they drop in the following order, weekly:

Back to Work
The Talk Show
Build and Analyze
Bombcast
Hypercritical
AfterDark

I rarely make it through B&A before the next week's shows arrive. Argh!

I'm glad Fathix pointed me to this thread though because I've been listening since before there was a 5by5 and really like Gruber's take on technology, Merlin's madcap workflow tips and musics and Dan's anchoring of the entire thing.

I think Dan's really underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Totally agreed about Dan. It took me a while to realize it, but he really does bring a lot to the shows he co-hosts.

Now I've posted enough 5by5 praise in here that I think it's time to get a little negative. I had to give up on Andy Ihnatko's show after a while when I realized I just really don't like Andy.

Also, this is extremely nitpicky, but it annoys me how Dan refers to things by their URL. For example, he usually refers to Marco as the creator of instapaper.com. While this is technically accurate, Instapaper is far more than just the website. It's almost like calling Steve Jobs the founder of Apple.com.

• Locked thread