Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

shrughes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF7PMuSJXQI

Convince me not to get one of these.

Because the music's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Former Human posted:

Yeah man if you don't do what we tell you you're wasting your money and you're not allowed to post here anymore :rolleyes:

Yes, the guy with the CRT monitor is really loving objective :rolleyes:.

This isn't the "2002 Monitor Megathread." If somebody is determined to buy a 10 year old CRT, there's not much else to say other than it's a bad idea and move on.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ghostpilot posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Asus VH228H? There's shockingly little information on it and while a friend (who's admittedly not very tech-savvy) out of state has one and loves it, I was hoping I might be able to find a more informed opinion.

The only limiting factor (aside from budget) is that I'd like for the monitor to have VESA mounts as I use it on an articulating arm (seriously one of the best purchases I've ever made). I'd fall within the Power User category in the OP, by the way.

Have I come at a bad time? :ohdear:

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
TN monitors (like that ASUS) are pretty much commodity parts and there are a ton of models with very little to differentiate them. Basically, the only differences are the size, how many input ports it has, and whether you like the way it looks.

Most of the people in this thread are interested in IPS monitors (which are more expensive but have considerably better color and viewing angles) so we don't have much advice about the cheap stuff.

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ghostpilot posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Asus VH228H? There's shockingly little information on it and while a friend (who's admittedly not very tech-savvy) out of state has one and loves it, I was hoping I might be able to find a more informed opinion.

The only limiting factor (aside from budget) is that I'd like for the monitor to have VESA mounts as I use it on an articulating arm (seriously one of the best purchases I've ever made). I'd fall within the Power User category in the OP, by the way.

I have the VH226H, a previous model, so what I have to say might not be applicable since this one has an LED backlight and mine doesn't. It's fine for gaming and browsing, and has a quick refresh rate with no lag. It was setup to be brighter than the sun at default, so make sure you tweak the brightness downwards till it's comfortable for you. I don't do graphics work on it so I can't speak to any color problems it may have. Viewing angles aren't great but I'm the only one looking at it in my office. I'm happy with it considering the price.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Crackbone posted:

Yes, the guy with the CRT monitor is really loving objective :rolleyes:.

Believe it or not, not everyone is looking for the same features in a display. The FW900 has a lot of features that LCDs in 2012 still don't. If someone wants perfect blacks, various resolutions, and high refresh/response time, there's no comparison. For pokecapn to say "just waste your money and never post in this thread again since you don't plan on listening to any of the advice in it" is rude and not helpful.

quote:

This isn't the "2002 Monitor Megathread." If somebody is determined to buy a 10 year old CRT, there's not much else to say other than it's a bad idea and move on.

Movax's OP mentions the FW900 multiple times for a reason. Have you ever read it?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have a toshiba DLP tv - 62HM196, that I am using as a monitor.

The only options I have on the tv, as far as aspect or zoom is Natural and Theater, with Full being greyed out.

When I try native resolution(1920 x 1080) it overscans outside the display range. The only resolution I can seem to run properly is 1768 x 992. Nvidia resizing is no help.

Does anyone have some advice on this matter? I haven't been able to find anything so far.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

shrughes posted:

> it's 10 years old,

They don't make'em like they used to.

> takes up a fuckton of desk space

I don't live in a dorm.

> weighs 100lbs

That's still O(1) work, just a different constant factor.

> takes 170 watts to run,

My laptop has a 170 watt power adapter.

> costs more used than a new 2412

I already have a 2410 so I could just sell it and now the price is less!

> and if/when it breaks because it's 10 years old, you're more or less SOL.

You can buy a broken one and scavenge it for replacement parts.

> oh and it takes a VGA input.

My laptop has a VGA output!

I don't know why I'm bothering to respond to this since you aren't actually looking for advice, only looking to start a fight and/or get patted on the back by other CRT people. But.

Your arguments are hosed up and stupid, much like your face.

> weighs 100lbs

That's still O(1) work, just a different constant factor.

Those words up there? The ones that you typed? They don't make a lick of loving sense. What the gently caress.

> takes 170 watts to run,

My laptop has a 170 watt power adapter.

How much power your laptop uses is irrelevant. 170W is going to cost significantly more than a comparable LCD (esp. a LED-backlit type)

> costs more used than a new 2412

I already have a 2410 so I could just sell it and now the price is less!

Selling your 2410 doesn't lower the price of a FW900, it just gives you more money (which you could have put toward anything...)

It doesn't matter though. Like I said you don't want to be convinced and so you won't be.

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug

Kazvall posted:

I have a toshiba DLP tv - 62HM196, that I am using as a monitor.

The only options I have on the tv, as far as aspect or zoom is Natural and Theater, with Full being greyed out.

When I try native resolution(1920 x 1080) it overscans outside the display range. The only resolution I can seem to run properly is 1768 x 992. Nvidia resizing is no help.

Does anyone have some advice on this matter? I haven't been able to find anything so far.

If there is no option to disable overscan in the regular TV menu try using the service menu:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=883214

If there's no option there to disable overscan you just have to set the resolution lower like you already have, pretty much nothing you can do.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Thanks to this thread and its excellent OP, I now have on my desk:
DELL 23'' LED U2312HM Full HD / IPS

A lovely little piece of monitor and a huge step up from my previous one. It was a 19" LCD which was state of the art when it came out in 2001(?), but its resolution was 1280x1024, it had serious motion blur problems when gaming, and the white balance was way out of whack. (Do old CFFLs drift out of spec or something? I couldn't adjust colors to look OK.)

Oh, and also the power brick had given out, that's why I found it in the trash room of my university, so it's been running of an old PC PSU since 2003.

Anyway, Skyrim looks marvelous in full HD and apparently the textures include the veins and pores of people's skin. Never noticed until now.
For the price I paid, if this thing lasts half as long as my old one, I'll be happy.

E:sp

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Anyway, Skyrim looks marvelous in full HD and apparently the textures include the veins and pores of people's skin. Never noticed until now.

Yeah, but they're still blocky, and not really perfect.
Head over to Skyrim Nexus if you have a good quality card and CPU (if you throw on every maximum quality texture pack you could find, I'd recommend more than a gig of VRAM).

Tricking out your Skyrim. Some of the mods are very worthwhile. SkyUI makes the inventory so much nicer..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 16, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Former Human posted:

Believe it or not, not everyone is looking for the same features in a display. The FW900 has a lot of features that LCDs in 2012 still don't. If someone wants perfect blacks, various resolutions, and high refresh/response time, there's no comparison.

Yes you're right, and you know who really needs those features? Probably not either of you, and certainly not for more than what a good IPS LCD costs right now. Pretty much everybody in the world has moved on to LCDs and been happy enough, because the benefits outweigh drawbacks.

And you're the one that didn't read the OP. You must have done a word count check on FW900 and though "look how much he mentioned it" :smug:. Did you notice every mention of the FW900 was about how Movax quit using it because of all the bullshit CRTs entail?

Look, to close this out, the bottom line is it's a bad idea to buy a 100-lb, 10 year old, costs-a-fuckton CRT monitor, the OP covers why pretty comprehensively. If you're determined to do so there's nothing else to discuss.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 16, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Former Human posted:

Believe it or not, not everyone is looking for the same features in a display. The FW900 has a lot of features that LCDs in 2012 still don't. If someone wants perfect blacks, various resolutions, and high refresh/response time, there's no comparison.

Various resolutions, no, but native interlacing, and the rest, plasma does.

Irrelevant to this in a way since I don't think they're made smaller than 42", but hey

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 16, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
When are we going to get OLED monitors, they jumped right up to 55" TVs for some reason :mad:

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Dogen posted:

When are we going to get OLED monitors, they jumped right up to 55" TVs for some reason :mad:

Probably never because OLED suffers from burn-in. :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Basically, the market has decided TFT-LCD is good enough, and is concentrating on that.

Where did our exotic types go, such as this beast: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Crackbone posted:

Yes you're right, and you know who really needs those features? Probably not either of you

That's pretty condescending. Good thing we have Crackbone from the internet to tell people what they "need." I technically don't need a car but I own one of those too.

quote:

Did you notice every mention of the FW900 was about how Movax quit using it because of all the bullshit CRTs entail?

Which was his personal decision. Other people may not take issue with the bullshit as you call it. It doesn't invalidate the features that others may want.

It's amazing how belligerent a few people in this thread have gotten over someone else's choice in monitor. If someone is in the market for a display with specific features and they have the money then who the hell cares? Overall this thread has been really helpful but a few people could really lighten up.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The FW900 does own, but I did hit the personal moment of clarity where I sat down and realized that I didn't want to keep investing time in keeping them running / tweaked properly. They do have superior qualities to LCDs, but the benefit of having razor sharp, uniform text and not having a desk that bends under the weight of a thousand suns were too nice to pass up.

The only reason I ever got the FW900(s) was because a few days after reading about how awesome they are, I scooped up 3 of them off Craigslist from various sellers for ~$40 per monitor. I would have never paid over $150 or so for each of them, but some people may want to pay highly for them, which is fine, more power to them I suppose.

Now lets all be friends or agree to disagree or whatnot, for we are men (and possibly women).

HalloKitty posted:

Basically, the market has decided TFT-LCD is good enough, and is concentrating on that.

Where did our exotic types go, such as this beast: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfa...emitter_display
After reading about Canon or someone else shutting down their SED/FED prototype plant, I was also spurred to go primarily LCD because it's what we have for the foreseeable future. :(

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Thanks to this thread and its excellent OP, I now have on my desk:
DELL 23'' LED U2312HM Full HD / IPS

A lovely little piece of monitor and a huge step up from my previous one. It was a 19" LCD which was state of the art when it came out in 2001(?), but its resolution was 1280x1024, it had serious motion blur problems when gaming, and the white balance was way out of whack. (Do old CFFLs drift out of spec or something? I couldn't adjust colors to look OK.)

Oh, and also the power brick had given out, that's why I found it in the trash room of my university, so it's been running of an old PC PSU since 2003.

For the price I paid, if this thing lasts half as long as my old one, I'll be happy.

E:sp

:hf: U2311 bro, welcome to the club, glad to hear you are enjoying ~~Skyrim~~ on that.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Former Human posted:

Okay, let's chill.

Most of the advice-giving regulars here are feeling insulted because a guy who already made up his mind came in here with a challenge to dissuade him. That's generally a disrespectful tone to take, especially with people who spend their free time trying to help others. Then when the guy was given exactly what he asked for - attempts to dissuade him - he gave snotty replies. Rather than acknowledge the downsides and say "I still like it," he gave responses that could easily be read as dismissing these concerns for improper reasons and, by extension, dismissing the effort I and others put in to try to give a reasonable response. His responses were not about his personal preference and choices; they were about challenging the plebes to prove His Highness incorrect.

So that's annoying. And you're coming off as slightly elitist yourself in the same way.

On the flip side, the regulars in here do come off as short and "We know best" at times, and that isn't the best thing either. But generally we're not doing it to be rude intentionally, we're doing it because there's only so much time in the day. But then when someone someone simultaneously demanding advice and being disrespectful in an information megathread, you better believe that poo poo tweaks our gizzards, however unfairly we may have perceived the post.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 16, 2012

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Former Human posted:

Which was his personal decision. Other people may not take issue with the bullshit as you call it. It doesn't invalidate the features that others may want.

The problem is that he came into the thread under the pretense that he needed to be convinced away from getting the FW900, while in reality he already made the mental decision to buy it. You can tell because the responses to the negative points about the monitor start off idiotic and stay that way. Although maybe I missed the memo and everyone does their hardcore 120Hz noscope fragging on a laptop these days.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Fecal Jesus posted:

If there is no option to disable overscan in the regular TV menu try using the service menu:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=883214

If there's no option there to disable overscan you just have to set the resolution lower like you already have, pretty much nothing you can do.

Thanks for this. Now I need to figure out what the cryptic variables in the service menu mean. Atleast I was able to center the screen on my resolution with HPOS and VPOS. Know where I could find the values? The service manual isn't helping at all.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dogen posted:

Probably because the rich guys and AVSForum nutbars who will pay the initial ridiculous prices for larger OLED displays generally aren't interested in anything under 50".

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

That's still O(1) work, just a different constant factor.[/b]
Those words up there? The ones that you typed? They don't make a lick of loving sense. What the gently caress.

It's the running time of an algorithm. It's not nonsense, its just :spergin:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

David Tennant posted:

It's the running time of an algorithm. It's not nonsense, its just :spergin:

Oh I didn't realize that the weight of a monitor was in any way comparable to an algorithm. Probably because it isn't. At all.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
It's clearly O(n) anyway.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Factory Factory posted:

Most of the advice-giving regulars here are feeling insulted because a guy who already made up his mind came in here with a challenge to dissuade him.

Maybe I'm just used to CoC where more people know me, but I thought my post was obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Movax thank you for your job on the OP and to everyone else who contributed it. I would have never gotten a U2311h or U2312HM for that matter without it. And the recommendation for the 120hz TN panel, that ASUS one, has beautiful black levels and is just a great monitor all around. I actually like glossy panels too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am trying to get the eyefinity working on my 7970.
My 3 monitors are connected as follows
7970>HDMI>Monitor
7970>miniDisplay to DVI adaptor>Monitor
7970>DVI to VGA adaptor>Monitor

All three monitors are detected but when I group them together via eyefinity i get 3 duplicated screen instead of one large screen

Is it my adaptors that are causing it? I only used the ones supplied with the 7970

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
CES is over. Any word on new goodies for this year?

Chances are ill just hang on to my U2311H, but if something awesome came out like a ultra-retina-IPS display, I might want to splerge again this year.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

evensevenone posted:

It's clearly O(n) anyway.
O(1) work outlay plus O(n) maintenance outlay in $ v. t and amortized O(n) in time & labor spent v. t as you have to spend time to fix the stupid tube. TFTs are a substantially smaller k in front of that O(1) and the other O(n) factors are amortized O(n) in that if your monitor breaks, you just get a new one, and it'd probably be lower cost than the first k in front of the O(1). If one moves regularly, that O(1) is actually amortized O(n) in physical labor to move the fucker.

I used to have an FW900 at an old job, but as much as I like it, I'll take my U2711 at home that I can put into a box that doesn't double as a child's coffin. It's not like developers need the deepest blacks or something. I had some odd issues here and there with moire patterns and a pink pattern that started creeping in after a surge could have nuked the tubes, so it's not like FW900s are impervious to damage compared to TFTs either. Sharp text that works with wtf you use in your software for 12+ hours / day is what matters in the end.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dogen posted:

They already exist, they're just expensive enough that they aren't targeted for consumers, so you've never heard of them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Avalanche posted:

CES is over. Any word on new goodies for this year?

Chances are ill just hang on to my U2311H, but if something awesome came out like a ultra-retina-IPS display, I might want to splerge again this year.

Yeah I posted basically this in the laptop thread - tiny 4" displays in phones is one thing, but 10" 1920x1200 IPS is already in the ultraportable laptop territory. If we could get that kind of DPI in desktop monitors, I wouldn't even be too upset over the lack of OLED monitors.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The 10" screens with that kind of DPI are only just now coming into the price range where they are reasonable for consumer products. And aside from the price, there are a few practical problems, with the poor DPI scaling of desktop OSes and software, graphics cards capping out at 2560x1600, and only very recently (past 6 months) has there been any hardware that can support DisplayPort 1.2, which is actually fast enough to support that high of a resolution.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Oh god. I just submitted an order for a U2412M to compliment my 22" LG TN display. What have you all made me do?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

Oh god. I just submitted an order for a U2412M to compliment my 22" LG TN display. What have you all made me do?

We've made you hate your TN screen. Well, soon.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

19 o'clock posted:

Wait until you decide you need a 30" display to live. :laugh:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Jan posted:

I was on the fence about it...my buddy has the Ultra Sharp 30" on his desk and it's glorious.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Jan posted:

Yeah that's me. I got a 2410 after frequenting this thread some time ago, and well, it's not enough. It's sounding like I need a 30" in my life.

I have a quick question though, and I'm sure it's dumb/common but I didn't pick up the answer after reading the OP. I know that 30" displays require a dual link DVI. But does that mean it occupies two "slots" or whatever?

Currently I use two displays, and since I work from home I need that second display for watching all kinds of random poo poo in the day to make my coding more enjoyable. Does a Dual link DVI mean I can't use a second monitor or what?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Taima posted:

I have a quick question though, and I'm sure it's dumb/common but I didn't pick up the answer after reading the OP. I know that 30" displays require a dual link DVI. But does that mean it occupies two "slots" or whatever?

It just means more pins on the connector and cable. You could also just use a single DisplayPort connector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sadly, I think my old 22" Samsung TN is on its way out. It takes awhile for it to return from sleep with really dim...lackluster colors, then gets bright over 15-20 seconds. Compare that to my Dell U2311H, which is instantly on and bright. Sometimes my TN even returns from sleep with a blank white screen that only a power cycle fixes.

Sadly, no $$ for a replacement now, so here's to my eventual monitor fire. :shepface: