Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lblitzer posted:

Haha what? That's a crazy deal. All I got was a 40gb SSD for the same exact service for a friend. Those things are tanks.

I normally just get a handle of 17 dollar whiskey....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I normally get a pat on the back and a "thanks, couldn't have done it without you"...

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

HKR posted:

I normally get a pat on the back and a "thanks, couldn't have done it without you"...

Yeah, I got a hug for recovering data from a failing hard drive which tied up my laptop for 4 days running ddrescue.

Bitch the liquor store does not accept hugs as a form of payment, especially not second hand hugs.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Comradephate posted:

Yeah, I got a hug for recovering data from a failing hard drive which tied up my laptop for 4 days running ddrescue.

Bitch the liquor store does not accept hugs as a form of payment, especially not second hand hugs.

I typically call Best Buy, get a quote, and divide by 4.

When restoring an entire HDD, they charge by the GB so the price gets absurd pretty quickly
VVV

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 11, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I typically call Best Buy, get a quote, and divide by 4.

I take a Best Buy quote, say "Those guys don't know what they're doing" and charge the same.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

I take a Best Buy quote, say "Those guys don't know what they're doing" and charge the same.

Haha, always a good choice. Was for a (formerly) close friend. She got lovely with me about how long it was taking, and then even shittier when I told her if she took it to Best Buy it would potentially cost several hundred, or even into the thousands. Lesson learned though - when a friend says he/she is having trouble recovering data from a hard drive, I will plug it in to my caddy, if it doesn't read immediately and let me copy the files, then "Sorry, there's nothing that can be done." are the magic words.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Followed by the words "but you had all that data backed up anyway, right?" :smug:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I have a...peripheral problem.

(not pictured: 2 IBM model Ms, fully restored)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

please tell me you've heard of synergy and have a good reason not to use it?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Synergy is great! But these days I only use one computer. Currently my desk has 2 keyboards on it; USB apple keyboard for the iMac, and a bluetooth keyboard for the iPhone.

It was only when I uncovered these excess keyboards that I decided to take a photo. For archival purposes only.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

Synergy is great! But these days I only use one computer. Currently my desk has 2 keyboards on it; USB apple keyboard for the iMac, and a bluetooth keyboard for the iPhone.

It was only when I uncovered these excess keyboards that I decided to take a photo. For archival purposes only.
What do you use the keyboard for on the phone?

I'd consider getting Google Voice, and trying a setup where you use your computer while at home, and phone while away from home.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Dominoes posted:

What do you use the keyboard for on the phone?

I'd consider getting Google Voice, and trying a setup where you use your computer while at home, and phone while away from home.

No google voice here unfortunately :(

I just use it for typing iMessages to people, and sometimes for taking notes. Typing using the on-screen keyboard can get annoying.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Excuse the lovely camera quality

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Granite Octopus posted:

How much do you want for one of those compact wired keyboards? Seriously.

edit: poo poo, you're in Australia. :(

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 14, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

No google voice here unfortunately :(

I just use it for typing iMessages to people, and sometimes for taking notes. Typing using the on-screen keyboard can get annoying.
Gotcha. I made the realization a while back that my smartphone can't do anything my computer can't do better (other than GPS navigation) now that I can make calls and texts, and get messages from my computer. I still use the phone for checking messages while in a full-screen game.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 14, 2012

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Living a little bit like poo poo, but I don't mind. It's set up so that I can't really see any of the cables when I'm sitting down, and denial is easier than cable management

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks to backgrounds switching every 5 minutes, Jack pops up once in a while to distract me from work.

zero0ne
Jul 20, 2007
Zero to the O N E

Bob Morales posted:

Thanks to backgrounds switching every 5 minutes, Jack pops up once in a while to distract me from work.

That sounds somewhat creepy. Though that shouldn't talk much as I had this as my background for months.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

zero0ne posted:

That sounds somewhat creepy. Though that shouldn't talk much as I had this as my background for months.

Would clicking on the interweb icons pull up each webpage?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not really a "desk"top, more a table top I guess.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

What desk is that and where did you get it? I really need a stable desk.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Ephphatha posted:

What desk is that and where did you get it? I really need a stable desk.
Plugging the Geek Desk; large, straightforward desk with a motor that lets you sit or stand.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Dominoes posted:

Plugging the Geek Desk; large, straightforward desk with a motor that lets you sit or stand.

While absolutely awesome, we have 7 of them here at work, and we're getting more... They're $750 minimum.

Ephphatha: The desk of choice if you want stable and affordable is the IKEA Galant. It'll run you about $200 for the largest size. My Galant is home to a 36" LED TV, 2x 22" widescreen LCDs, keyboard, mousepad, clamped microphone boom, and other random poo poo. I've never felt like it was unstable with all that on top of it.

Everything has been moved around since I moved out of that house, but here's the last picture of my setup:

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 15, 2012

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I just got back to my dorm, and I don't have any pictures of my desktop back home, but I can show my cramped desk at school.

No dorm picture is complete without an empty beer bottle.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 15, 2012

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
Wanted to remove the lamp from my desk but still have light behind my monitor, soooo...

Done with the flat, round Dioder lights from Ikea and some sticky tack. Next up is mounting the Mac Mini underneath the desk and doing a better job hiding the lights' cabling.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Cross-posting from the GBS thread:

Pressed wood :negative:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Behold! The land that cable management....forgot!

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That's a lot of recordable media.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Nice catte

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

^^^^
I prefer to think of Fidel Catstro as a footwarmer that shits.

Triikan posted:

That's a lot of recordable media.

Doesn't include the 2 100+ binders in the closet, a handful of spindles in the closet, or these:
(right hand case is entirely recordable)

Yeah, this is what happens when you don't throw anything away/collect bootlegs for 14 years.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Reason posted:

Not really a "desk"top, more a table top I guess.

How many times has that laptop fallen over and/or you've spilt on the floor? That looks really nerve-racking.

baxate posted:

I just got back to my dorm, and I don't have any pictures of my desktop back home, but I can show my cramped desk at school.

No dorm picture is complete without an empty beer bottle.

UC(SC?) student spotted. What's wrong with your laptop keyboard?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's nice to be able to sit back more than 4 inches from your screen!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is where I spend some most of my time.

The "always on/ever vigilant" shelf + COD

Geek Shrine

Detail 1

detail 2

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

Love the Unicorns poster in back, do you have that album on vinyl? It's one of my alltime faves.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have it on vinyl and CD :D Do you have it as well? The record is pink. I got the poster when I went to go see them open for Hot Hot Heat in Toronto in late 2003. They didn't show up and some guy working there claimed that they trashed a strip club in Montreal the night before. I never did get a chance to see them live :(

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

I have it on vinyl and CD :D Do you have it as well? The record is pink. I got the poster when I went to go see them open for Hot Hot Heat in Toronto in late 2003. They didn't show up and some guy working there claimed that they trashed a strip club in Montreal the night before. I never did get a chance to see them live :(

Only on CD. I was going to see them on their last US tour but missed out and found out they had broke up. I don't even care to see Islands just because the Unicorns were such a staple for me growing up. I would have been so pissed to not see them, but Hot Hot Heat aren't bad!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We left midway through the Hot Hot Heat set, I wasn't a big fan of theirs at the time. French Kicks opened at the same concert which was cool in theory but they were super drunk and played like poo poo. Then I got a super bad migraine on the way home and it was pretty much the worst concert I've ever been to, but at least I have that sweet poster!

Ended up seeing Islands in Toronto a few years later. Great show but totally not the same, I never got into them the way I did with The Unicorns.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Bob Morales posted:

What desklamp is that above your left monitor?

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Laserface posted:

This is where I spend some most of my time.

detail 2

Holy crap, a Skyline 2000GT-R Bit Char-G?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
So because my Ikea tabletop is a piece of poo poo (protip: don't screw in the Galant cable organizer into a Vika particleboard top, regardless of if the Ikea salesmen say it'll be fine), when I press down on my normally silent Mac keyboard, it wobbles a bit and is apparently loud as poo poo, which pisses off anyone in an adjacent room. While I've been considering just saying gently caress it, embracing the loudness, and getting a mechanical keyboard, in the meantime I've been doing this to quiet it:

Problem is, the notebook of course slides around like crazy. Are there any rubber keyboard mats that can go under it to both hold it in place and silence it?