Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
There was an app posted in here a few months back. It was an android app that would give you a web interface that you could connect to from a browser on the same LAN that you could copy files and media to/from your phone. My searches are coming up blank, does anyone remember what it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Kies Air? Well, that might not be what you mean, but it does exactly that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

falz posted:

There was an app posted in here a few months back. It was an android app that would give you a web interface that you could connect to from a browser on the same LAN that you could copy files and media to/from your phone. My searches are coming up blank, does anyone remember what it was?

AirDroid.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

falz posted:

AirDroid. I'm on my phone so no Market link.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

AirDroid. I'm on my phone so no Market link.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zYW5kLmFpcmRyb2lkIl0.

You can share Market pages from the app itself to something like a text or blank email if you only need the URL.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
File expert is a filemanager that has a built in httpd and ftpd for transferring files. You can even have it zip up selections or folders on the server/phone side before xferring.

I keep it around just for that, like ES better as a file mgr.

edit: and speaking of ES file explorer, a question on it: Is there a way to enable wake-locking for smb (and sftp, dropbox etc) file transfers? They all pause when the screen goes off and I can't find a setting.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 16, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wagonburner posted:

File expert is a filemanager that has a built in httpd and ftpd for transferring files. You can even have it zip up selections or folders on the server/phone side before xferring.

Airdroid also allows you to manage the files on your phone and text messages and poo poo from your web browser, it's pretty awesome.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

big mean giraffe posted:

Airdroid also allows you to manage the files on your phone and text messages and poo poo from your web browser, it's pretty awesome.

Have they fixed it so you don't have to refresh the page every time you hear your phone ding to see the new text?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

falz posted:

I think he's referring to an app called Awesome Drop.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Awesome Drop worked over the internet, not LAN. It's also not particularly quick.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
If you have an ICS phone/tablet Haxsync provides a method to get hi-res Facebook pictures attached to your contacts without Google compressing and wrecking them upon sync.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

edit: and speaking of ES file explorer, a question on it: Is there a way to enable wake-locking for smb (and sftp, dropbox etc) file transfers? They all pause when the screen goes off and I can't find a setting.

I use a widgesetoid turn off screen timeout toggle for this purpose.

But no.

However Wi-Fi wake lock is a new API in ics.. so the developer can add that if he wants.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Yes, AirDroid was what I was looking for. This thing is pretty amazing, thanks.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
First I've heard of AirDroid, that looks awesome. No more USB plugs!

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
I use AirDroid at work where there is no wireless, all over USB.

I just cable up to it, and run this:

./adb forward tcp:8888 tcp:8888

and then hit http://localhost:8888 and it works perfectly.

Just tossing that out there since I had to dig a little to find it, and its VERY handy.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

godzirraRAWR posted:

./adb forward tcp:8888 tcp:8888

This doesn't look right. Are you sure it's this? Where did you find this documented? I really need this.

Edit: Got it working. This is awesome.

Edit again: ok, now it's not working. I got some weird error about the browser being too slow and now it's just 404'ing.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 17, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So apparently HTC killed the ability to disable the shutter sound on the stock, non rooted HTC evo 3D. This also is already driving my fiance crazy. Any thoughts on fixing it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

So apparently HTC killed the ability to disable the shutter sound on the stock, non rooted HTC evo 3D. This also is already driving my fiance crazy. Any thoughts on fixing it?

Expect to see this a lot more in the future; it's an anti-pervert measure. Plugging in a headset almost always works to silence it, there's a nice 0-day for you. Software-wise, you're probably going to have to root.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Tell her to stop being a perv.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

If this was ever an option they got rid of it a while ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't you just mute media volume? I know that worked with my OG droid, which was annoying when I tried to do anything else. Based on something I read a few years ago, it started being forced on in Japan because they were all being creepy pervs taking upskirt shots of people. Then it migrated to the US. I haven't bothered with my Gnex.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Can't you just mute media volume? I know that worked with my OG droid, which was annoying when I tried to do anything else. Based on something I read a few years ago, it started being forced on in Japan because they were all being creepy pervs taking upskirt shots of people. Then it migrated to the US. I haven't bothered with my Gnex.

I think putting the phone on vibrate or silent will disable the shutter sound, but I can't test because I'm not on stock.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Midjack posted:

Expect to see this a lot more in the future; it's an anti-pervert measure. Plugging in a headset almost always works to silence it, there's a nice 0-day for you. Software-wise, you're probably going to have to root.
What a bunch of nonsense. I own a regular digicam and those things are completely silent. Good job on doing nothing useful what so ever, HTC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cardiovorax posted:

What a bunch of nonsense. I own a regular digicam and those things are completely silent. Good job on doing nothing useful what so ever, HTC.

It's every phone manufacturer.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've seen plenty of phones that can turn of shutter sounds for still cameras, but not a single one for video recording. They're always loud and obvious tones too. How am I supposed to film morons doing idiotic things without them noticing?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've seen plenty of phones that can turn of shutter sounds for still cameras, but not a single one for video recording. They're always loud and obvious tones too. How am I supposed to film morons doing idiotic things without them noticing?

Root your phone or use a custom camera app.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Question: Can anyone recommend an app (or a more suitable thread to ask this) for basic, multi-track audio recording and editing?

e: Not unlike GarageBand for IOS, I guess. But simpler - without all the useless built in samples and backing tracks.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 17, 2012

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

az jan jananam posted:

If you have an ICS phone/tablet Haxsync provides a method to get hi-res Facebook pictures attached to your contacts without Google compressing and wrecking them upon sync.

Users who viewed this also viewed
FetLife for Android
GOLDEN SPIRAL SOFTWARE, LLC
(1,092)
$1.99

:cry:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same on Sense, but on stock Gingerbread (2.3.7) on my Nexus S 4G, you can turn off the camera sounds by going into Silent Mode.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Motoblur still lets you shut off the shutter sound...wonder how long that's gonna last?

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
Ugh, my new HTC phone came so full of useless uninstallable apps I have no room to pick and choose my own useless apps! And I can't even move most of them to the SD card. I'm too paranoid to root my phone as I'm not overly tech savvy and don't want to void the warantee yet. Is there anything else I can do?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Hoplosternum posted:

Ugh, my new HTC phone came so full of useless uninstallable apps I have no room to pick and choose my own useless apps! And I can't even move most of them to the SD card. I'm too paranoid to root my phone as I'm not overly tech savvy and don't want to void the warantee yet. Is there anything else I can do?

Preinstalled apps reside in the /system partition and don't take up your usable space in the /data partition so don't worry about it. If they bug you that much you can install a third party launcher and hide them so they don't show up in your list of apps.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

Preinstalled apps reside in the /system partition and don't take up your usable space in the /data partition so don't worry about it. If they bug you that much you can install a third party launcher and hide them so they don't show up in your list of apps.

Oh, so I need to decide if I *really* need internet banking and various email apps on my phone... they seem to be the apps that won't move. I don't even have that many, but enough that I can't download new apps to then move to the card. Frustrating.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hoplosternum posted:

Oh, so I need to decide if I *really* need internet banking and various email apps on my phone... they seem to be the apps that won't move. I don't even have that many, but enough that I can't download new apps to then move to the card. Frustrating.
What phone? Anything released after the original Desire should have more space than you could ever fill up with apps.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
nm, beaten

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LastInLine posted:

What phone? Anything released after the original Desire should have more space than you could ever fill up with apps.

My wife has a wildfire s, it has 150mb app space. I'm counting down the days until she wants me to root it & do something.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

Cakefool posted:

My wife has a wildfire s, it has 150mb app space. I'm counting down the days until she wants me to root it & do something.
I have this also.
I thought the ability to buy a larger sd card nullified the pathetic internal space. I was wrong.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

:stare: 150MB of app space? I guess a2sd will never die.

That being said, really since going with a2sd (both DarkTremor and Simple2EXT) app storage just isn't an issue for me on the N1. It's completely transparent and has always just worked. I can't imagine why I'd bother with stock when it's so easy to just not have the problem.

Hoplosternum posted:

I have this also.
I thought the ability to buy a larger sd card nullified the pathetic internal space. I was wrong.
If you want me to walk you through setting up a true a2sd solution I'd be happy to do it. Once you're rooted it's not difficult at all and storage just won't be a problem anymore.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

I'll have a read through the rooted Android thread, but I was thinking I would wait until warantee was expired anyway before rooting. It's a brand new phone, I saved for ages for it (student!) and I'm paranoid about loving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hoplosternum posted:

I'll have a read through the rooted Android thread, but I was thinking I would wait until warantee was expired anyway before rooting. It's a brand new phone, I saved for ages for it (student!) and I'm paranoid about loving it up.
With phones not designed to be unlocked I can definitely see that side of it. The other side I'd present would be that people seldom need warranty work and in the meantime you've got a barely usable phone.

Looking over at xda though it looks like the dev scene is a clusterfuck. I originally clicked on the Buzz (Wildfire) forum instead of the Wildfire S one. It doesn't look good for Wildfire S owners.

• Locked thread