Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ZackHoagie posted:

Hey, don't joke like that. Wait until Street Fighter EX4 and then we'll talk about the genre dying.
Oh you mean Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition: 2012?

Fighting Game Crash: Second Impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Broken Loose posted:

Fullscreen, kinda slow startup, hits instantly, ideal for trades (because it continues even if you get hit out of it), ground only, DHC into it makes it amazing. It otherwise sacrifices the chip of Hail Storm for crumple stun.

Does it cover the entire screen? Do you mainly use it to bait assist calls? Does it do a lot of chip? Does the startup cause parasoul to float backwards?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

apophenium posted:

I vaguely remember hearing that all the DLC characters would be free. Is that still a thing?

E: Also is Skullgirls gonna be at Final Round by any chance? Or maybe it'll have been released by then

Free dlc will definitely NOT happen, except for patches and maybe some minor things (backgrounds, music, colors, etc).

I checked the Final Round website, and they won't have an official tourney there. However, you can almost guarantee they will be there to show the game off whether it's been released or not. Isn't that right, Jmcrofts?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd like them to do what Bloodline Champions (eventually) did with its units, and allow you to play every class in single player so you know precisely how they work, but not online or in versus mode. Especially since they expect you to pay money for them, I'd like to know what I'm getting first. And I mean we'll all have to download them anyway in case we play against them online so the files are there already. Make it happen.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Countblanc posted:

I'd like them to do what Bloodline Champions (eventually) did with its units, and allow you to play every class in single player so you know precisely how they work, but not online or in versus mode. Especially since they expect you to pay money for them, I'd like to know what I'm getting first. And I mean we'll all have to download them anyway in case we play against them online so the files are there already. Make it happen.

I don't know, I've always hated this pay model. You don't get to use your character outside of training mode if you don't pay $5 a pop for them? That always came across to me as really scummy. It'd be like paying for individual chess pieces or something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PalmTreeFun posted:

I don't know, I've always hated this pay model. You don't get to use your character outside of training mode if you don't pay $5 a pop for them? That always came across to me as really scummy. It'd be like paying for individual chess pieces or something.

I'm working under the assumption we'll have to buy individual characters, which all signs have pointed to.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Countblanc posted:

I'm working under the assumption we'll have to buy individual characters, which all signs have pointed to.

I don't mind if the game already has 8 characters and you can buy more as DLC as they come out, but I hate the DotA-like trend of making you pay for every single one of the characters to use them. Especially the ones where they rotate out which ones are free on a cycle, so you can get the guy you were practicing as swiped out from under you unless you pay :10bux: or play 100 games to get them back. It's worse in those games because it's a team game where dying makes the enemy better more than just situationally. It'd be like if you were playing TF2 and woops, pay 5 dollars for medic to continue when your team needs one.

Plus, it's kind of hard to get a feel for which characters you like when you can only access a couple without spending like 60 dollars for all 12 characters or something.

But yeah, I'm fine with something like 8 characters, then $2.50 for each one after, and there aren't a ton of them because it's a fighting game.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 17, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PalmTreeFun posted:

I don't mind if the game already has 8 characters and you can buy more as DLC as they come out, but I hate the DotA-like trend of making you pay for every single one of the characters to use them. Especially the ones where they rotate out which ones are free on a cycle, so you can get the guy you were practicing as swiped out from under you unless you pay :10bux: or play 100 games to get them back. It's worse in those games because it's a team game where dying makes the enemy better more than just situationally. It'd be like if you were playing TF2 and woops, pay 5 dollars for medic to continue when your team needs one.

Plus, it's kind of hard to get a feel for which characters you like when you can only access a couple without spending like 60 dollars for all 12 characters or something.

But yeah, I'm fine with something like 8 characters, then $2.50 for each one after, and there aren't a ton of them because it's a fighting game.

But his suggestion seems to only apply to the DLC characters you would have to pay for regardless. This way it lets you figure out how they work even if you dont wanna pay for them, so you will more effectively play against people who actually use them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

We're going to have to buy characters anyway, and they're going to already be in the game because you need to be able to play against them. I don't see anything wrong with his thinking, it would be nice to try out a character before you buy since they have to be patched in for everyone anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's a little less noxious in fighting games just because of the sheer amount of work that goes into developing a fighting game character compared to a DotA/BLC hero.

Also in those games, having access to a variety of heroes is a part of the gameplay, being able to play them is part of ban/pick strategy and makes a real difference in how strong your options are. Counter-picking still exists in fighting games of course, but for the most part not having access to a particular character is something that affects you at a meta-game level (picking and practicing a character/team ahead of time) and opposed to directly constraining you during play.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I understand why there are DLC characters. They want to release the game like, in the next year and making new characters and balancing them is so time and cost intensive that they'd rather get the game out and playable, and work on the characters after release. That makes sense, right? I mean I can't see anything particularly horrible about it considering its an indie team with limited manpower and resources.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
The Painwheel trailer's up!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutcruncher posted:

But his suggestion seems to only apply to the DLC characters you would have to pay for regardless. This way it lets you figure out how they work even if you dont wanna pay for them, so you will more effectively play against people who actually use them.

Yeah this is basically what I meant. And of course it lets you decide if you like their style before buying them as an added bonus.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
In Parasoul's trailer they showed a move where a guy jumped out in front of Peacock's ultra and looked like he took the whole hit and I haven't seen a single person use it other than in that little clip. Is that still something she can do? How does it work? Same thing with her BB Hood style projectile ultra from the trailer. And what's with the guy who pops out and she says "not now"?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

In Parasoul's trailer they showed a move where a guy jumped out in front of Peacock's ultra and looked like he took the whole hit and I haven't seen a single person use it other than in that little clip. Is that still something she can do? How does it work Same thing with her BB Hood style projectile ultra from the trailer. And what's with the guy who pops out and she says "not now"?

She has a move where she calls one of three agents, and they each have different properties. They can:

- Interrupt one of her moves (ie. if she's doing a command normal with a long animation she can call that dude to cut the animation short, which enables her to do combos she couldn't otherwise).
- Absorb projectiles, including supers, and stay on screen until hit with a physical attack (they might have a duration, but it wasn't listed on the wiki)
- Drive across the screen on a motorcycle and if they hit the opponent (it looks like a grab but they have to actually hit them) they drag them to the other side of the screen and wall bounce them.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

In Parasoul's trailer they showed a move where a guy jumped out in front of Peacock's ultra and looked like he took the whole hit and I haven't seen a single person use it other than in that little clip. Is that still something she can do? How does it work? Same thing with her BB Hood style projectile ultra from the trailer. And what's with the guy who pops out and she says "not now"?

The human shield guy absorbs a certain number of hits then goes away, kind of like a big slow projectile wall that can't do damage. It's her charge back -> forward MK move. The LK version is the Not Now guy who basically just acts as a Roman Cancel to make things safe, continue pressure, etc.

The BB Hood looking super is her level 3. It just does a crapload of damage and covers a bunch of space, but her other two supers are so good that the meter is probably better spent elsewhere (HK flash kick -> motorcycle super is cheap as hell GET AT ME CHILLDOG).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Chilldog, just remembered a feature that I want if/when Skullgirls gets ported to PC. Please, variable size window mode, so when I'm laboring in training mode I can watch other crap or look up movelists, etc. SFIV has a terrible windowed mode and I hate it.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
I can't wait to be playing skullgirls, on valetine's day 2012.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

I can't wait to be playing skullgirls, on valetine's day 2012.

Practice your Cerebella resets with your sweetie.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Last two SCR videos:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/socal-regionals-skullgirls/725778
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/socal-regionals-skullgirls/725780

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
New Friday Night Fights with Valentine footage: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/726034

Looks like she has Ibuki's SA3.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 21, 2012

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Groghammer posted:

Looks like she has Ibuki's SA3.

Yeah but Valentines actually does damage.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
The entire top 8 from SCR skullgirls is now on gametrailers. You can watch a match by clicking on it in this nifty lil bracket.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/01/20/watch-the-best-of-the-best-skullgirls-players-duke-it-out-at-socal-regionals/

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You know how the night and cathedral levels have atrocious lighting? well right after the FNF this week, they changed it. They say that characters will blend less into the backgrounds. Hallelujah!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but is there a projected price for the game yet?

Would be helpful if the response was in pounds, as I live in the UK.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but is there a projected price for the game yet?

No price is confirmed yet. It has been said it will be cheap. I'm not sure about pounds, but it might be the same price as Third Strike but likely even less.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

No price is confirmed yet. It has been said it will be cheap. I'm not sure about pounds, but it might be the same price as Third Strike but likely even less.

So around 10-15 pounds? Sounds pretty cheap! Was worried it might be 30+!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Chipp Zanuff posted:

There's no confirmed price point but it's probably gonna be about what you'd expect for a download-only game.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Hey, Valentine's moveset has been revealed.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/23/skullgirls-valentines-full-move-list-revealed/

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

Hey, Valentine's moveset has been revealed.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/23/skullgirls-valentines-full-move-list-revealed/

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of supers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
B-button lag... :negative:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, for us people who didn't play GG (:smith:) what was Chipp's alpha blade?

EDIT: also the Animation for her super throw sounds sick as hell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Boxman posted:

So, for us people who didn't play GG (:smith:) what was Chipp's alpha blade?

A quick horizontal dash along the bottom of the screen (or in the air) that pretty much happened in a flash.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Huh, the revival thing should be interesting. Good to see a five-meter super that's actually worth five meters for once and not something like 20 (lol Dark Phoenix).

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

PalmTreeFun posted:

Huh, the revival thing should be interesting. Good to see a five-meter super that's actually worth five meters for once and not something like 20 (lol Dark Phoenix).

Yeah, that's surprisingly balanced for a resurrection mechanic. Hats off to Mike Z and crew as always for designing unique gameplay elements that work.

I want this game more than anything. Give it to me.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
I can't wait to play with Valentine's full move set on the day from which her namesake originated, Valentine's Day.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
valentine and painwheel are like four of my mains in one I'm throwing money at my computer help I can't stop

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Definitely hype for Valentine. So far I think her and Ms. Fortune are my favorites. I might just end up running Valentine solo. Seriously can't wait to get in the lab with this game.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Jesus Im so pumped for this game the closer it gets, that valentine list looks pretty awesome, but sadly I never could play those dang ninjas in any fighting game. Im really leaning toward ms Fortune and Parasoul, I might pick up peacock and possibly filia, As much as I love complex characters for their uniqueness, I never can grasp them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gamasutra interviewed Daisuke from Arc System and they touched on Skullgirls:

quote:

There's a game called Skullgirls under development in the US. The style of that game looks a little similar to Arc's stuff -- a 2D game with an anime feel.

DI: I like that look at lot. I met the makers before, and while the game system is what it is, the design and characters are something I really like.

Have you played it?

DI: I have.

What did you think of the gameplay?

DI: The control response is a lot like what you see in Japanese games, but the fine-tuning and balancing isn't really there yet.

It's still a work in progress, though.

DI: Right. So seeing a game like this being developed overseas is something that excites and even worries me a little. We need to make games that won't leave us left behind in the business, I think.

Skullgirls' system doesn't allow for combos that go on forever.

DI: I don't know if it's still the case now, but when I played it, it was set up so that you could escape after 15 hits, I think.

Most fighting games have infinite combos. In Skullgirls, you can do it, but the damage goes further and further down. What do you think of that?

DI: Well, it's too early to say how Skullgirls will turn out, but I don't think infinite combos are a bad thing at all. If it's something that players can accept and work with, that I don't see any harm in having them there. Of course, it'd be a boring game if anyone could do them easily.

• Locked thread