Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OneEightHundred posted:

TASVideos just published another abuse classic: Super Mario World cleared in 2:36 via memory corruption. The run can be roughly summed up as "Yoshi vomits a lot of fish, Mario conjures a Yoshi out of thin air, jumps around, game ends."

It's kind of surreal, like someone piped one of Miyamoto's bad dreams to a monitor.

I love runs that involve corrupted memory, where it STARTS OUT seemingly normally, and then suddenly everything goes completely batshit ridiculous and the game turns into your typical Slender Man fan video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"triggers end screen through nonstandard means" would be a better name for the category, in my opinion. It fits new stuff like the Kirby run where you enter a water block from the bottom, or the Earthbound run that triggers the debug menu to skip past the credits. Alternatively: "direct memory manipulation" if you're going for stuff like the indescribable Chrono Trigger run or the similar GB pokemon run (can't remember which version).

Or both!

e: can someone point me to where they're discussing this on the site so I can basically copy/paste this comment over there

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I feel like "triggers end screen through nonstandard means" is not really specific enough of a category. Nearly every TAS gets to the end screen through nonstandard means.

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home
So did Peaches ever play Quest 64? I kind of tuned today's runs out.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Duet posted:

So did Peaches ever play Quest 64? I kind of tuned today's runs out.

He's going to play it during the bonus stream, which is happening at some point tomorrow and going on until Uyama basically tells everyone to get out of his house.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

flatluigi posted:

"triggers end screen through nonstandard means" would be a better name for the category, in my opinion.
Well, I think what bothers people is that once you start getting into code/data security bugs and storing data in locations clearly not meant to store that type of data, pretty much everything else about the run goes out the window. "Corrupts memory" is probably a good place to draw the line there because getting into invalid level space and cheesing bosses to reach the end are par for the course there.

Although ironically, I think SMW is a hard thing to even draw a definition of this over because every one of those runs uses block duplication which is a form of memory corruption.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Does this category include the couple of runs that use the 2 frame save procedure to reset between them and then utilize the corrupted savegame data values to glitch everything?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

After watching and following speedruns for so long, I'm finally tossing my hat into the ring with the Genesis version of Pit-Fighter. I've been tinkering at it on and off for awhile now but just got to the point where I can beat the game consistently. My current record is 16:19 but I can get it much closer to sub-16 with a bit of optimization, maybe even lower.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Here's a speedrun stream for Darksiders which has almost as many exploit glitches as Zelda: OoT.

http://www.twitch.tv/aftermathrar

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

At some point today, Skateman222 will be doing some world record attempts at Earthbound with no out of bound glitches and in a single segment. Despite how random it can be, Earthbound can be a blast to watch speedrunned.

http://www.twitch.tv/skateman222

EDIT: He got a 5:37 tonight, getting him the world record. Awesome run, especially that stonehenge base.

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 15, 2012

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Nero's on Twitch.tv doing a 70 star run!
http://www.twitch.tv/neronero679

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

AnacondaHL posted:

Nero's on Twitch.tv doing a 70 star run!
http://www.twitch.tv/neronero679

Just turned into a race with Sig.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Looks like Siglemic is going to eat and then race Nero in a 70 star run.

http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

edit: f u Crotch Bat

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
This seems somewhat relevant to Speedrunning interests, and I don't think it's been shared here thus far:

Bit Brigade plays the MegaMan 2 soundtrack while Noah McCarthy speed runs it on stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQ7bDGhOLI

Pretty impressive.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

zxqv8 posted:

This seems somewhat relevant to Speedrunning interests, and I don't think it's been shared here thus far:

Bit Brigade plays the MegaMan 2 soundtrack while Noah McCarthy speed runs it on stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQ7bDGhOLI

Pretty impressive.

Crash Man was pretty weak, which is a shame considering it's the best song in the game.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Peaches_ is about to go for the Quest 64 low % world record in a few minutes! Get a snack and a few drinks, because this will be a very long run.

https://www.justin.tv/peaches__

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Bebopaloobop posted:

Crash Man was pretty weak, which is a shame considering it's the best song in the game.

Not knowing MM2 bosses offhand, you mean that second one where he insta-kills it and they don't even get to play, right?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would like that video so much more if the band was truly great. As it is in the first few minutes they can't play in tune and it makes me cry. If they really knew the songs like musicians and could play around them it would be really really cool. The coordination that it takes is pretty cool. I'm sure it's hard to call so many tempos and keep it together. It does show that the intro theme is a legitimately pretty cool composition.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Leonid posted:

Peaches_ is about to go for the Quest 64 low % world record in a few minutes! Get a snack and a few drinks, because this will be a very long run.

https://www.justin.tv/peaches__

It's starting now.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just over 2 and a half hours into the run and he finally takes down Solvering, using nothing but 1hp wind cutter and meleeing him for 1-3 damage after he runs out of potions. :stare:

I'm being serious when I say this is just about the biggest display of patience I've seen applied towards anything.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

iastudent posted:

Just over 2 and a half hours into the run and he finally takes down Solvering, using nothing but 1hp wind cutter and meleeing him for 1-3 damage after he runs out of potions. :stare:

I'm being serious when I say this is just about the biggest display of patience I've seen applied towards anything.

... What time is he shooting for?

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Longinus00 posted:

... What time is he shooting for?

maybe like 10 hours? Really have no idea. It gets easier after Zelse since I'll have a ton of hp/defense by then and my water will heal for quite a bit.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

zxqv8 posted:

Not knowing MM2 bosses offhand, you mean that second one where he insta-kills it and they don't even get to play, right?

No I mean the cover of the song itself. And it's the third to last stage. All the boss battle music is the same so it doesn't really matter if he insta-kills the bosses. The run itself is outdated and slowed down so they can have time to play the songs, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

furry drum circle posted:

maybe like 10 hours? Really have no idea. It gets easier after Zelse since I'll have a ton of hp/defense by then and my water will heal for quite a bit.

And this is a world record attempt :stare:

I think after a while it stops being speedrunning and starts being masochism.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

furry drum circle posted:

Ask your doctor about Autism

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

fleshweasel posted:

related:

Siglemic decided he's gonna practice/speedrun/play SM64 for 24 hours starting right now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ToxicFrog posted:

And this is a world record attempt :stare:

I think after a while it stops being speedrunning and starts being masochism.

It's a world record attempt insomuch as no one else is insane enough to try it.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

fleshweasel posted:

I wasn't even playing for 80% of the time, just reading websites or talking on skype while mashing A+Z. I didn't even go for 10 hours since I died at nepty anyways. I'll just do another attempt tomorrow :spergin:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Brett824 posted:

related:

Siglemic decided he's gonna practice/speedrun/play SM64 for 24 hours starting right now.

This is getting painful to watch

edit: oh he's making a sandwich now

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Brett824 posted:

related:

I love watching Sig run but god drat the people in this chat are some of the most annoying denizens of the internet, I can't stand it. I think it gets to me because it's live.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Liku posted:

I love watching Sig run but god drat the people in this chat are some of the most annoying denizens of the internet, I can't stand it. I think it gets to me because it's live.

Gear symbol -> Hide Chat

Usually what I do when watching any stream.

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006
Sig stream chat is filled with like 99% spillover from fighting game streams so it's a shitload of annoying catchphrases and floe faces/salt thing.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

scrooger posted:

Sig stream chat is filled with like 99% spillover from fighting game streams so it's a shitload of annoying catchphrases and floe faces/salt thing.

It's more the 4chan/reddit/neogaf crowd than the fighting game community, they just happen to also be the people you find in fighting game streams or any popular stream on Twitch.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

This is getting painful to watch

Yeah, there's no way this can be healthy for anyone.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I see Peaches is doing the low % Quest 64 run again.

I don't know the mechanics of the game at all. Why does he sometimes run away from enemies and other times just stand around while they chip away his health and kill him?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Vakal posted:

I see Peaches is doing the low % Quest 64 run again.

I don't know the mechanics of the game at all. Why does he sometimes run away from enemies and other times just stand around while they chip away his health and kill him?

I think it's because he's looking for the most efficient encounters to grind HP/Def against, which involves multi-hit attack monsters.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Every time he gets hit it counts towards leveling up the character's defense. It's not based on total damage but just number of hits, so he wants enemies who attack quickly but not for a lot a damage.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Five hours in now - I feel like i'm staring at a singularity. PEACHES_ is currently on World 5 of Super Meat Boy, and also at 312/400 HP for his Zelse preparations!

God save us all.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Now that you've mentioned it, I can't help but watch. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
We're a little over 7 hours in now - we're almost at Nepty, but we're doing some soul searching because of Brian's horrible PTSD. The run's looking really good so far, but anything* could happen!

*Nothing, because bosses take a half hour.

• Locked thread