Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manekineko
Feb 15, 2008

So glad I found this thread!

I've been dabbling in tea for the past year or so. I'm a huge fan of gongfu and the like, and I typically stick with greener oolongs. I'm also a fan of English (read: black teas, sometimes milked) style tea. It's nice to see tea drinkers with different backgrounds; usually tea forums are full of gongfu snobs and that's it. Is it such a crime to enjoy flavored blacks as well as 600-trillion-dollar cakes of puerh? (Don't answer that.)

Anyway, I'll stop wasting your time and list off a few teas I've had recently that you really ought to buy/brew:

Andrews and Dunham drat Fine Tea: of the teas currently available, Caravan (smoky smoky) and mermaid's kiss (magnolia scented oolong) are my faves.

Kusmi Teas: They make a flavored tea called Caramel that is TO DIE FOR. Most notably, they use Fujian Black tea for the base, and the flavor doesn't obscure the fabulousness of the tea itself.

Republic of Tea: There's a tin I found in my grocery store of a limited run 2010 Darjeeling. Tastes like first flush to me, but they don't specify. It's quite tasty.

California Tea House: Order online. Their Golden Monkey Paw is so f-ing tippy and good I can't stand how great it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Inspired by GrAviTy84's beautiful gaiwan pick up from an Asian grocery, I decided to swing by our local Asian grocery to see what I could find! I picked up two teas in my eagerness, before getting home and realizing I have no idea if what I bought was in any way legit/good. :ohdear:

My purchases!:

The Chrysanthemum jar says it's distributed by Fuzhou Blue Lake Import & Export Trading Co.--does anyone know anything about them? I'm not finding too much on Google. Here's a close up of the label for the Chrysanthemum:

Okay, so this one is fun: I realized the only English words on it are "Golden Bridge Brand" and "Ginseng Oolong Tea." The "Ming Cha" on the front might be the brand...? There's a Hong Kong brand called "Ming Cha," but their products don't look much like this tea. Plus, the "Golden Bridge Brand" at the top makes me think "Ming Cha" might not be the brand. Again, does anyone know anything about this brand?

edit: my pictures are apparently no longer sideways.

Niemat fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 13, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Thanks for the nice pics/ report. What kind of pot do you plan to brew the Pu Er in? The reason I ask is that its strong smell will completely "take over" the pot. I'd recommend one pot for aged teas/ pu er/ black tea and a separate pot for oolong/ lighter teas (this includes your Tie Guan Yin). This way, your "lighter" type teas will begin to taste better and better as you season the pot through successive brews of only lighter teas. Of course, like all things tea prep, this is not the one and only opinion (but the majority of Taiwanese mostly drink light oolong and have a specially relegated pot for it). I also know a tea farmer who told me that that's all bullshit and I may as well just brew anything in anything.

One view of pots that's a little more universally accepted is that Pu Er is best brewed in a thick walled vessel (I think most Zi Sha pots fit this description), whereas oolongs are better brewed from the thin walled variety. This has something to do with water temperature, but I don't really know more than "oolong should be brewed hot-as-poo poo and Pu Er shouldn't."

Also, what is your opinion of sheng vs. shou Pu Er? And how many brews can you get out of the Pu Er you bought before the leaves are spent?

Yeah, I was planning on using it for only one type of tea, probably young sheng pu erhs. I'm not planning on getting super spergy about Yixing stuff, but it was a good deal and figured why not. For most things I will stick to gaiwan for now, at least until I have money/space for a fancy display case for all the pretties :3

I'm pretty new to puer, Bob_McBob and bears have been helping me out a lot. I've literally tried one sheng, this one, and dozens of unmemorable shous over the years. I've yet to try a truly aged sheng, but I have my eyes on a sample of some 1970's stuff that I might pull the trigger on sometime soon. So far I think comparing young shengs (based on the one sheng I've had and the descriptions I've read online of others) and shous are like apples and oranges. If I was to Yixing sperg, I don't think I would have just one pot for pu erh, I would probably have 3: one for young sheng, one for aged sheng, and one for shou (if I would even grace a shou the privilege of its own yixing pot :P). Since shou ("cooked" or "ripe") pu erh is a style made to imitate the effect of age on a bingcha (tea cake for the uninitiated), I think the better comparison to draw is between aged raw and cooked pu erh. I have not had any remarkable shous to my recollection. I've only had restaurant pu erh with dimsum, Asian market bingchas, and factory-removed tuo chas from online vendors back when they were called "special teas" and not teavana. All of these would brew a deep dark mahogany brown cup (admittedly a very beautiful color) and taste of anything from forest floor to minerally earth to dry autumn leaves. I haven't had any offensive shous, but I know they exist. I have heard that there are good shous out there, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet, I hear good things about the menghai 7562 brick so that will likely be my first foray into "good" shous.

The sheng I have has a pretty cool herbal almost effervescent note of camphor. It brews a light yellow brown cup and lasted about 7 infusions the way I did it last night:

Some tea pics! Here are the dry and spent leaves of the raw pu erh I got yesterday.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
If tea's been around longer than several months, will it ever truly "go bad", or just lose flavor? I have a hard time finishing even 100g in a reasonable timeframe, and I think I have a tin that's a year old or so now...how should I approach this problem (aside from drinking more tea, trust me, I'm trying).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If it's gotten wet, it can go bad. Otherwise it will just lose flavor. However, if it's only a year old, it might be okay (depending on how you stored it). Why don't you just try some?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

While rooting around my parents' house for a tea pot I discovered that, even though all they ever drink is Lipton, they have like 500+ grams of nice loose leaf teas. 100g each of a couple black darjeelings, one green darjeeling, and some korean reds. They've never used any of them. The newest one is from late 2010 and the oldest one is from 1998. I think I'm going to cry.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 14, 2012

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I think you're probably going to have tea social, more like! Seeing how tea parties have negative connotations, these days...

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
So I'm getting really into florals. Does anyone have any floral favorites? I'm not remotely a snob, I'll drink bagged tea as well as loose leaf. There's a rose tea I got from the grocery store that I love way too much, and right now I'm drinking some jasmine green tea and it's amazing. What do you tea fanatics like?

Dick Smegma
Oct 12, 2010

by T. Couchfucker
What's good to sweeten green tea with? Honey seems overpowering.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dick Smegma posted:

What's good to sweeten green tea with? Honey seems overpowering.

I don't care for sweetened tea, but agave nectar is a nice neutral sweetener that I use for other things. Otherwise make a simple syrup.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Look Under The Rock posted:

So I'm getting really into florals. Does anyone have any floral favorites? I'm not remotely a snob, I'll drink bagged tea as well as loose leaf. There's a rose tea I got from the grocery store that I love way too much, and right now I'm drinking some jasmine green tea and it's amazing. What do you tea fanatics like?

Depends on how floral you like things, but I'm fond of Ti Hu Shan's rose green tea. It has decent quality whole-leaf green tea with pink rosebuds in it, and it's fairly cheap. I paid around $10 for a jar at my local Asian grocery, and it's lasted me a couple years. They also make a nice whole-leaf jasmine, oolongs, and blooming teas. I haven't tried all of them, but they're nice if you like your tea "greener". Plus, they come in these awesome, airtight glass jars:

If you like things a bit less green, Zhena's Gypsy Tea has a great black tea with pink rose petals. I drink it like it's like crack, with a bit of milk and sugar.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
That rose green tea sounds fabulous, I will have to look for an Asian grocery store around here. Unfortunately I live in a really small town so it might take some research.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A year or so ago, a goon used to sell tea on SA Mart and one of his most popular kinds of was Japanese Sour Cherry Green Tea. Does anybody know of a place I can get something similar? I'm all out and it's one of my favorites.

breaks
May 12, 2001

"Sakura sencha" is what you are looking for. I don't drink it myself so I can't make a specific recommendation. I used to get a lot of emails from Den's Tea about theirs but it looks like they are out of it until the spring harvest. O-cha.com has one and they are one of my favorite vendors for sencha. Or, you can google it and you'll be able to find a bunch of shops I'm sure.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Corbet posted:

A year or so ago, a goon used to sell tea on SA Mart and one of his most popular kinds of was Japanese Sour Cherry Green Tea. Does anybody know of a place I can get something similar? I'm all out and it's one of my favorites.

"Sakura sencha" or "sakurambo" - if you're USA, try Lupicia Tea: link here. They typically come out with new batches mid to late spring, rather predictably, so you'll probably see some promotions for them in the coming months.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

GrAviTy84 posted:

Pu Er chat

I too have limited experience w/ Pu Er. I have been to two shops that specialize in Pu Er, and they both sell sheng. One of them sells young, and the other sells aged.

From what I gather, young sheng has become trendy lately by necessity. Everyone wants the pu er from the "mao cha" kind of leaves(big, old, wild tea trees), and obviously there is only so much of the aged variety going around. The idea of drinking it before it's been aged is pretty new and controversial, but the people who jumped on that trend are really into it - and jesus can it be expensive. I've had a few different young shengs that were all cakes made by up and coming Taiwanese-teamaker-setting-up-shop-in-Yun Nan pu er companies, and I liked them all (though not enough to pay the exorbitant price for a cake of my own).

The guys that run the aged pu er shop I go to do the funniest, snobbiest scoff imaginable as soon as the subject of young sheng is broached. Besides having tradition on their side - they point out that young sheng is really harsh on the stomach. Many tea drinkers turn to aged (or dark) teas to give their stomach a break - it's the belief of many that years of drinking light tea (high mountain oolong in Taiwan's case) will slowly kill your stomach. This is one of the appeals of aged tea, it is much milder on the stomach, so good pu er is traditionally the hobby of old tea heads who have made a switch from some other expensive, but stomach-killing variety. So anyway the old sheng proprietors, in their description of young sheng, openly pity the boss of the young sheng shop. Surely, they lament, he is rapidly killing his stomach drinking young sheng with customers all day, and surely he takes stomach medicine after closing shop every day.

Can you take a picture of the chinese name of your pu er? I'm also curious what the guy told you about the pot you bought and how much it cost. Here's a picture of a small pear shaped yixing pot I've been using for my dark teas. I'm a little proud of my current setup. The steel plate is from my childhood camping set, and the little wooden stand ran me $2 at a flea market:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've had a few different young shengs that were all cakes made by up and coming Taiwanese-teamaker-setting-up-shop-in-Yun Nan pu er companies, and I liked them all (though not enough to pay the exorbitant price for a cake of my own).

Can you take a picture of the chinese name of your pu er? I'm also curious what the guy told you about the pot you bought and how much it cost. Here's a picture of a small pear shaped yixing pot I've been using for my dark teas. I'm a little proud of my current setup. The steel plate is from my childhood camping set, and the little wooden stand ran me $2 at a flea market:

If you really think about it, bingchas of young shengs aren't really that pricey. For instance, you can get a 357 g bingcha of 2007 Menghai 7532 for 31bux, which is a pretty tippy mix, from a well known factory, using an average of grade 3 leaves. 31 bux for tea may sound like a lot, but when you're only using 5g or so for a 100ml gaiwan, and you can do, like, 10 infusions for each 5 g, 357 g makes a lot of tea.

The pu erh I got was loose in a jar, so I have no idea what factory it's from. The pot was from a different shop, a random kitchen supply shop that carried other things like carbon steel woks and cleavers. It was :10bux:.

I was in the area again yesterday. I decided to pass by again, as they had some Jun Shan yellow tea so I picked up some of that. They had a friend in the shop and brought out a broken-into bingcha of something he said was 26 years old and raw. I couldn't believe it, so I politely asked if I could have a taste and he said sure. So I have now tasted aged raw pu erh :woop: It was pretty amazing. I can see what the shous are trying to get at, but also how they are nothing like the real thing. It tasted like what wet forest floor and fallen leaves smell like, and had a subtle sweetness, but it also had a bit of the camphor notes that my young sheng has, very interesting. Not wanting to push my luck and his generosity by asking to see the label on the cake and all that, I didn't get a chance to see what factory it was from or what the recipe was, but I really enjoyed it.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you really think about it, bingchas of young shengs aren't really that pricey. For instance, you can get a 357 g bingcha of 2007 Menghai 7532 for 31bux, which is a pretty tippy mix, from a well known factory, using an average of grade 3 leaves. 31 bux for tea may sound like a lot, but when you're only using 5g or so for a 100ml gaiwan, and you can do, like, 10 infusions for each 5 g, 357 g makes a lot of tea.

Young sheng prices have been going up so fast you can often end up spending more on a 2011 cake than you would on an older version of the same cake. The puerh market is rife with speculation and other weird factors affecting prices. There is also more of a demand for the really fancy productions from companies like Hai Lang Hao, where a 2011 cake could be upwards of $300-400.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

GrAviTy84 posted:

The pot was from a different shop, a random kitchen supply shop that carried other things like carbon steel woks and cleavers. It was :10bux:.
Well, cherish that poo poo. Ignoring any yixing teapot voodoo is natural, because you just fall in love with the fact that you use something as fragile as a tiny teapot all the time without having broken it after all these years god damnit! Teapots are one of the more inherently lovable things ever.

GrAviTy84 posted:

So I have now tasted aged raw pu erh :woop:
I know very little about tea, but someone told me that there's a noticeable jump after a certain age with aged oolong, where the flavor that had any bite just drops out, but all the other flavors are still there - 20 years. My limited experience with some different aged oolongs seems to confirm this. You can say "this oolong must be under/over 20 years" as soon as you taste it. I'm guessing pu er is the same, but I wouldn't know what that "dividing age" is for it. I remember telling the young sheng guy (this pottery dealer) that the tea he was giving me was sour, but that I like a lot of sour things so that is totally fine with me. The aged guys are cool because they talk about the ages (very old it turns out) at which different teas transform into medicine.

Death Vomit Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 15, 2012

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I once went to a pow-wow type where the Elders made spruce root tea. The flavour was so smooth and delicate that I find myself craving it from time to time. unfortunately going out and getting spruce roots is usually a bug-ridden, messy adventure, and not ideal for the middle of winter.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
BAM. So I have had a couple of puerhs in the past but never had a real proper drinking session with one, and since I had two shou puerh lying around I figured I would at the very least try one of them.

Shou (ripe or black) puerh is puerh that, as mentioned earlier, is artificially fermented/composted and then pressed into cakes, bricks, or loose. They can age, however the flavor profile remains fairly consistent compared to their counterparts, sheng (raw or green) puerh, as mentioned elsewhere.

I'm about six cups in and there is definitely a strong "medicinal" taste to it which spreads through the mouth and leaves a warm feeling as it passes through the body. The taste of herbs remains in the mouth for quite some time. It's easy to see why puerh is an 'acquired' taste, but also easy to see why some would be drawn to it for that exact reason. I'll have to hunt down some shengs and see how they turn out to compare, since I suppose they are more mellow and on the sweeter side compared to the more earthy tones that a shou has from the forced fermentation.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MOAR TEA PIX

So here's my current setup with tea table.

Drank some of this potpourri ti guan yin today:

It is wonderful. I'm always surprised how much oolongs unfurl in the cup. This tea has a fantastic floral and green aroma that jumps out of the cup. Subtly sweet, and lasted 3 infusions before starting to noticeably water down. I think I got about 6 infusions before I gave up on them, but then again I also didn't jam leaves into the gaiwan like some do.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I'm pretty neutral with regards to puerh but I do go to some shops that sell the good stuff. The really expensive shops here usually will set up a special table just for puerh. A chunk of puerh is dropped into a ceramic or Yixing pot and boiling water is added. Then it's placed on a burner(live flame). It starts to simmer for a couple of minutes and then the first pitcher is poured. It's about half the content of the pot. More water is added to the pot and it is allowed to simmer while the first pitcher is drunk. The second infusion is the best infusion so they pour that into the pitcher and refill the pot again. And so on. It's like a chemistry experiment really.

I'm a TieGuanYin lover myself, but I have a good selection of just about every tea. This is my tea setup.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

GrAviTy84 posted:

It is wonderful. I'm always surprised how much oolongs unfurl in the cup. This tea has a fantastic floral and green aroma that jumps out of the cup. Subtly sweet, and lasted 3 infusions before starting to noticeably water down. I think I got about 6 infusions before I gave up on them, but then again I also didn't jam leaves into the gaiwan like some do.
Based on that picture, your leaves don't look like the type that I'd really expect more than 3 good pots of (out of a gaiwan your size). At least that's my experience with most oolongs that are within a sane price range. These pictures are not tie guan yin, but they are a high mountain oolong, in some ways similar to your tea.

Two leaves one heart; pluck pluck pluck. =D

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Do any of you who use metal thermoses find that they make your tea taste different? I was thinking of getting one, but I recently had some tea served in stainless steel cups and it tasted kind of metallic.

Put more directly—what's a good way to carry around a day's worth of tea?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

dik-dik posted:

Do any of you who use metal thermoses find that they make your tea taste different? I was thinking of getting one, but I recently had some tea served in stainless steel cups and it tasted kind of metallic.

Earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a thermos Teavana sells that is metal, but has an inside lining of yixing clay. I think the idea is brilliant, don't own one though. You might want to check it out.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 17, 2012

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a thermos Teavana sells that is metal, but has an inside lining of yixing clay. I think the idea is brilliant, don't own one though. You might wasn't to check it out.

Awesome! thanks for the tip. I tried searching the thread for the word "thermos" but I guess I didn't see that one.

In other news: a friend of mine bought me a green tea from Starbucks. How did they manage to make a green tea that tastes like fish?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That's a good drat question. I'd also like to know why their rooibos tastes like utter death.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

dik-dik posted:

One of the travel mugs I use is stainless steel. I've kept tea in it for around 6 hours but that's probably less than 16 oz of tea. Never had any strange taste from it. But I don't drink anything too delicate, either.

dik-dik posted:

In other news: a friend of mine bought me a green tea from Starbucks. How did they manage to make a green tea that tastes like fish?

Chain coffee shops made me think I hated tea for years. The only tea I liked was chai from some places and that's really drat hard to screw up since it's mostly milk (the way they do it, at least). A friend of mine loves Starbucks vanilla rooibos. I have a chocolate rooibus from SereneTeaz that I don't love and I was going to give it to her but I'm afraid that since it's not whatever terrible crap Starbucks is peddling she won't like it.

Your pictures of your tea setups are making me jealous, overwhelmed, and shameful. But I love them. I don't drink anything that requires special teaware and I haven't even used my teapot yet (or the nifty pot warmer) but it's nice to think that someday I may have moved beyond flavored teas and have the room to store fancy teapots and cups. But my teapot is way cuter than any cast iron one. I at least have that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The only thing good from Starbucks that is related to tea is the matcha frappuccino. And luckily, as of a year ago, the US locations switched to the Japanese recipe and now its super delicious. Since I dont drink coffee, thats the only thing I ever buy from them.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
With the discussion about puerh recently I figured it'd be worthwhile to discuss some of the more popular online shops to go and buy:

Jas E-Tea
Yunnan Sourcing, also has a US gateway with different selection here
Bana Tea Company

One to avoid as I understand it is Puerh Shop. Bob might be able to explain a little more in depth, but the products featured have varying quality and poor explanations and no mention of sourcing. One of the resellers reputed to source from this place happens to be Chicago Tea Garden, which also has some weird notes about "Tea Caves" and shoving bamboo charcoal into water in order to purify the taste.

---

In other news I am polishing off some Aged Oolong from Imperial Tea Court, which has a similar color of liquor to a puerh. As a bit of changing things up, I decided to use a fair cup to decant into a tasting cup roughly the size of a shot glass, going for fairly short but intense infusions. Pretty good so far!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sirotan posted:

The only thing good from Starbucks that is related to tea is the matcha frappuccino. And luckily, as of a year ago, the US locations switched to the Japanese recipe and now its super delicious. Since I dont drink coffee, thats the only thing I ever buy from them.

Alright, if a friend of mine ever insists on shouting me starbucks again I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sirotan posted:

The only thing good from Starbucks...

The only thing good from starbucks are their cups. Even their coffee sucks.

</derail>

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

dik-dik posted:

I have had green tea that tastes like fish too. It's probably not the leaves, but the water. If the water used to steep your green tea is TOO HOT, then out comes the fish taste. Here are some water temp suggestions: Green Tea Brewing Tips.

aldantefax posted:

In other news I am polishing off some Aged Oolong from Imperial Tea Court, which has a similar color of liquor to a puerh. As a bit of changing things up, I decided to use a fair cup to decant into a tasting cup roughly the size of a shot glass, going for fairly short but intense infusions. Pretty good so far!

Here is a 32 year oolong (I don't know the further details) I just made.

This is actually the "shake" from the bottom of the "sack", but don't worry - it's all flavor country. For me, a really old tea is fun because it's mild enough to really steep the poo poo out of. You can make really strong tea that really has zero of those little bad tastes (or aftertastes) we know so well.

In case anyone was wondering, pu erh and aged oolong do not taste similar. Playing with your taste buds is fun!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I have had green tea that tastes like fish too. It's probably not the leaves, but the water. If the water used to steep your green tea is TOO HOT, then out comes the fish taste. Here are some water temp suggestions: Green Tea Brewing Tips.

Good to know! Earlier today I managed to do the same thing to some green tea I was brewing and I was worried that I'd started going crazy or something.

Maybe my thermometer isn't as accurate as I'd thought. The tea came with directions to brew at 180F, and I think my thermometer was reading about 178 when I poured it over the tea. Or maybe I shouldn't have preheated the pot, and the tea got burnt when I put the leaves in the pot. Are you only supposed to preheat the pot for black tea? (I'd never brewed loose leaf green tea before today).

Ninja edit: It was the Upton First Grade Gunpowder Green by the way.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Good to know! Earlier today I managed to do the same thing to some green tea I was brewing and I was worried that I'd started going crazy or something.

Maybe my thermometer isn't as accurate as I'd thought. The tea came with directions to brew at 180F, and I think my thermometer was reading about 178 when I poured it over the tea. Or maybe I shouldn't have preheated the pot, and the tea got burnt when I put the leaves in the pot. Are you only supposed to preheat the pot for black tea? (I'd never brewed loose leaf green tea before today).

Ninja edit: It was the Upton First Grade Gunpowder Green by the way.

Every gunpowder I've tried has a seaweedy "fishy" taste. If you really think something went wrong you could try steeping at a lower temperature or for a shorter time. As for pre-heating, I'm pretty sure it's a good idea to always do that.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

apparently a bunch of people posted:

Every gunpowder I've tried has a seaweedy "fishy" taste.

!?

Gunpowders are quite strong and planty but they should never have flavor profiles like that unless they were rotten or way far overcooked (the flavor is common to badly kept puerh, for example).

A guy I know likes doing it in the touareg style where he uses freshly crushed mint with the gunpowder for. I'd consider starting from a boil and letting the water cool off for awhile if your leaves getting roasted at what your thermometer reads as 178.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

aldantefax posted:

!?

Gunpowders are quite strong and planty but they should never have flavor profiles like that unless they were rotten or way far overcooked (the flavor is common to badly kept puerh, for example).

A guy I know likes doing it in the touareg style where he uses freshly crushed mint with the gunpowder for. I'd consider starting from a boil and letting the water cool off for awhile if your leaves getting roasted at what your thermometer reads as 178.

It's not at all unpleasant, I guess "spinachy" would be a more palatable way to describe it.

I know the second suggestion wasn't directed towards me but gosh that sounds good. Wonder if catnip would work, as that's the only plant in the mint family I've ever had success in growing.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hummingbirds posted:

Wonder if catnip would work, as that's the only plant in the mint family I've ever had success in growing.

Very different flavor profile but yeah it'd probably still be nice. Catnip makes a very mild infusion that's good for settling digestive distress and has very mild sedative properties.

In other tea news, a Taiwanese guy I work with gave me a package of this high mountain oolong. It's got to be one of my favorite teas I've tasted in quite some time. Fragrant aroma with sweet vegetal and floral notes typical of such teas. Rich, creamy taste with, again, striking sweet floral notes, very clean profile. Just really pleasant all-around and hits pretty much all the points I like in high-grown lighter oolongs. The tea consists of tightly rolled pairs of leaves, just like in the pictures Death Vomit Wizard posted.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TRIP REPORT

Was in the area after a gig today so I passed by this place in Monterey Park. "Wing Hop Fung" Found it just randomly internet searching for tea shops near me or places I frequent. It was quite awesome.

Tetsubins and clay pots

Yixing selection. The small plain shui ping style ones are about 10bux.

Care for a gaiwan? I found the one I bought for 6bux the other day, here for 3bux. :negative:

Looseleaf tea selection. Lungjings, Ti guan yins, and Bai hao yinzhens, Oh my! :holy:

Some cheaper bingchas, a few ripe, but mostly raw here. These were from Six-famous-tea-mountain, CNNP, and Mengku.

More pu erh, some older bingchas, in a display case.

Tongs and individual bingchas on shelves behind the counter

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

My haul: