Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Can you pop up examples? I was focusing on finding the first instance in this readthrough and if I missed it already...

Edit: unless its using the flame and void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
There are only two instances that I think have direct evidence.

Other then the flame and the void, which if you pay attention during Egwene's first training with Moiraine is very similar to her channeling instructions, the big thing I noticed is during their flight:

"...With all his heart and desperation he silently shouted at Bela to run like the wind, silently tried to will strength into her. Run! His skin prickled, and his bones felt as if they were freezing, ready to split open. The Light help her, run! And Bela ran."

This is later followed up with:

"..."You were right about your Bela, Rand," Moiraine said from where she stood by the mare. "She has a good heart, and as much stubborness as the rest of you Two Rivers folk. Strange as it seems, she may be the least weary of all."....

I think that is pretty clear evidence that he was channeling strength into the horse, and Moiraine probably wouldn't detect it because he was probably only channeling a trickle of the source while she was preoccupied with the Fade and flying thing.

The other thing that is he gets goosebumps and a weird feeling when Moiraine channels. The book plays it off like he's being a superstitious farm boy but as we find out later, most people who can channel can detect when other people using the source.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Yes! I picked up on this too, and it's my third read-through. There are many more hints that Rand is chanelling/learning to channel early on, and it's mind-blowing the amount of foreshadowing we're seeing in all these different aspects that I never picked up on. Rand, Perrin and Mat all have their 'specialties' being foreshadowed. Perrin with wolves, Mat with luck and Rand with the dragon and chanelling. Keep an eye out for it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I love the foreshadowing especially when you realize this was written to stand alone.

Tonight lets hit up chapters 14, 15, and 16

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
Well I might as well throw in my stick too. Started it yesterday, I'll be all caught up by tonight. I hope we don't lose the OP halfway through, posting everyday is hard!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I think the OP should set weekly goals, even if he keeps up the daily discussions, so that people can go at their own pace throughout the week but so that the fast readers can discuss the weekly goal early.

Chapter 16 and we already have Nynaeve and Lans love foreshadowed.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 16, 2012

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I think the OP should set weekly goals, even if he keeps up the daily discussions, so that people can go at their own pace throughout the week but so that the fast readers can discuss the weekly goal early.

Chapter 16 and we already have Nynaeve and Lans love foreshadowed.

I'll switch it up to weekly tomorrow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Unspoilering things discussed in a chapter already reached.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

There are only two instances that I think have direct evidence.

Other then the flame and the void, which if you pay attention during Egwene's first training with Moiraine is very similar to her channeling instructions, the big thing I noticed is during their flight:

"...With all his heart and desperation he silently shouted at Bela to run like the wind, silently tried to will strength into her. Run! His skin prickled, and his bones felt as if they were freezing, ready to split open. The Light help her, run! And Bela ran."

This is later followed up with:

"..."You were right about your Bela, Rand," Moiraine said from where she stood by the mare. "She has a good heart, and as much stubborness as the rest of you Two Rivers folk. Strange as it seems, she may be the least weary of all."....

I think that is pretty clear evidence that he was channeling strength into the horse, and Moiraine probably wouldn't detect it because he was probably only channeling a trickle of the source while she was preoccupied with the Fade and flying thing.

If memory serves me right, while male channelers get goosebumps when women channel around them, female channelers don't get any reverse indication.

You're right, though, Rand was channeling there. Moiraine more than foreshadows it in TEOTW:21 when she's describing how Nynaeve learned to channel - the rough quote is "you wanted something more than you ever wanted anything, and you got it". Once you've seen that, you'll be keeping an eye out for all the other things she says at the same time.

Omnibobb, if we're switching to weekly we should strongly consider using spoilers with chapter markings for the first few days. Discussion of last week's goal isn't going to stop dead when the new goal is set. If we don't protect the current week's chapters, the slow readers won't be able to participate in existing discussion threads without being spoiled for them.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'll add that to the OP

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

If memory serves me right, while male channelers get goosebumps when women channel around them, female channelers don't get any reverse indication.

This is correct. Men are also stronger on average but can't link.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
He channels three times in EoTW, before the whole Eye of the World bit I can only remember two off the top of my head. One is the one you mentioned. One of the others is when Mat and Rand are trapped in an Inn later with Darkfriends about to break down the door, Rand channels lightning and blows the wall off and they escape I can't remember the other one.

You can always tell because, as Moirane describes, when someone is learning to channel on their own they become sickly afterwards. It isn't noticeable with Bela, but later Rand starts to get really loving ill for a while, then suddenly gets better, and it gets worse every single time

I'll be glad when we are at weekly here, as I'm a bit behind cause I've been busy the last two days.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Even though we're switching to weekly, I would still like to keep up with the daily goals too if you're wanting to do both. It helps keep me better paced.

Also, if he was channeling into the horse, like Moiraine but with saidin, wouldn't the horse still have been really tired when she went to heal it? And shouldn't we be still be spoilering this because we technically don't know that Rand is able to channel yet? Might it not ruin the whole "Rand is the Dragon" bit for people who haven't read the series yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cryptoclastic posted:

Even though we're switching to weekly, I would still like to keep up with the daily goals too if you're wanting to do both. It helps keep me better paced.

Also, if he was channeling into the horse, like Moiraine but with saidin, wouldn't the horse still have been really tired when she went to heal it? And shouldn't we be still be spoilering this because we technically don't know that Rand is able to channel yet? Might it not ruin the whole "Rand is the Dragon" bit for people who haven't read the series yet?

She wasn't healing them, just removing their exhaustion. Which Rand had already done. Its a minor miracle Bela holds together as long as she does to be honest, they push her really loving hard in this book.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Zore posted:

She wasn't healing them, just removing their exhaustion. Which Rand had already done. Its a minor miracle Bela holds together as long as she does to be honest, they push her really loving hard in this book.

Well it's obviously because Bela is the Dark One. Or the Creator. I forget which.

From chapter 15, Min's viewings. She says she sees "a bloody hand and a white-hot iron" around Rand. Is this foretelling Rand getting his hand blasted off, already in book number one? Or was there something else I'm forgetting?

Another of her viewings that caught my eye. When he asks her about dreams, she says "As for dreams, maybe it's your idea of a dream, but I never thought it was mine." Obviously a reference to them falling in love! It's sort of amazing to me how much is already being foreshadowed so early.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I think RJ has the whole Rand as Jesus/Tyr, Perrin as Thor/Perun and Mat as Odin thing thought up pretty early on. There are a LOT of hints towards later stuff in Min's visions, paying attention to pretty much every one she has is essential

MassiveTrauma
Mar 31, 2010

cryptoclastic posted:

From chapter 15, Min's viewings. She says she sees "a bloody hand and a white-hot iron" around Rand. Is this foretelling Rand getting his hand blasted off, already in book number one? Or was there something else I'm forgetting?

I think this might be an allusion to Matt and Perrin, in that the bloody hand is the symbol of the Band of the Red Hand and white-hot iron is the material of blacksmiths but also describes Perrin's demeanour up until book 13.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I think the bloody hand is Rand's lost hand, and the iron is just balefire (min wouldn't know what balefire is yet.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.
Not all spoilered text is created equal. I should have known not to read the spoilered stuff but I foolishly assumed it would be about stuff within EOTW. My own fault. It kills me though because I like to go into books and movies with as blank a slate as possible. I don't even like reading the backs of books.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It's so funny discussing Min's viewings and no longer being able to do properly nutty theorycrafting with them. If you've read up to book 13 you just read that part and its like "yes, that certainly is the plot".

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

One posted:

Not all spoilered text is created equal. I should have known not to read the spoilered stuff but I foolishly assumed it would be about stuff within EOTW. My own fault. It kills me though because I like to go into books and movies with as blank a slate as possible. I don't even like reading the backs of books.

Me too, curses.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cryptoclastic posted:

From chapter 15, Min's viewings. She says she sees "a bloody hand and a white-hot iron" around Rand.

A lot of stuff in WOT is derived from real myth-motifs, which should be obvious to anyone who's noticed the lead character is al'Thor and his girlfriend is Gwen al'Vere. It is excused by the cycle of time bringing everything up again.

In this particular instance, the white-hot iron could refer to (later books)the drawing of Callandor, which looks like a sword glowing white when it's used.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Min's viewing, I thought that the bloody hand and the white hot iron just referred to Rand's hand getting branded with the heron, with the iron being the melting hot sword. Though, now I agree it could also be Mat and Perrin.

Omegauo
Nov 4, 2003
this is an amazing idea.

I stopped after book 10 because after reading them all in a row, by the time book 11 finally came out, I was halfway through the prologue when I realized I had no idea who the minor characters even were anymore, and quickly lost interest.

I wanted to wait till it was ACTUALLY over before restarting, and this is a perfect way to do it

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Alright suckas, we're moving to a weekly format here.

Between now and January 23 read chapters 17-35.

During this week, remember to spoiler any discussions we have for slower readers.

As usual, previous chapters are spoiler crazy.

tv_is_drowning
Sep 14, 2004

The Dandy and the Clown
This is great, I started rereading the series recently before AMOL drops, I just finished book 4 but I have a fuckton of other stuff to read so I'll keep following the thread until we're at the same place. I love that there are already 3 suggestions in the thread as to what the white-hot iron viewing refers to :)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

omnibobb posted:

Alright suckas, we're moving to a weekly format here.

Between now and January 23 read chapters 17-35.

During this week, remember to spoiler any discussions we have for slower readers.

As usual, previous chapters are spoiler crazy.

Woo, weekly schedule, awesome!

So it turns out I lent my copy of EoTW to a friend (I am that guy), and there's pretty much no chance of me getting it back any time soon. Good job I have the audiobooks I guess. It'll make looking up quotes and whatever pretty much impossible. Oh well!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Prison Warden posted:

Woo, weekly schedule, awesome!

So it turns out I lent my copy of EoTW to a friend (I am that guy), and there's pretty much no chance of me getting it back any time soon. Good job I have the audiobooks I guess. It'll make looking up quotes and whatever pretty much impossible. Oh well!

With kindle and the sony book store (presumably the nook as well), you can download an app for your computer to read ebooks. Then download the book. Read at your leisure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm a little behind on the reading, but there's this great moment in Chapter 10 or so when Lan is talking about how wolves hate trollocs and Perrin gets excited and goes, "Wolves!" Its such a cute :haw: moment.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Omegauo posted:

this is an amazing idea.

I stopped after book 10 because after reading them all in a row, by the time book 11 finally came out, I was halfway through the prologue when I realized I had no idea who the minor characters even were anymore, and quickly lost interest.

I wanted to wait till it was ACTUALLY over before restarting, and this is a perfect way to do it

This was me throughout the prologue of Book 10 the last couple days. With about half the characters I was like "who the hell is this?", meanwhile the book was referencing their past interactions with each other and with the main characters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prison Warden posted:

He channels three times in EoTW, before the whole Eye of the World bit I can only remember two off the top of my head. One is the one you mentioned. One of the others is when Mat and Rand are trapped in an Inn later with Darkfriends about to break down the door, Rand channels lightning and blows the wall off and they escape I can't remember the other one.

You can always tell because, as Moirane describes, when someone is learning to channel on their own they become sickly afterwards. It isn't noticeable with Bela, but later Rand starts to get really loving ill for a while, then suddenly gets better, and it gets worse every single time

I'll be glad when we are at weekly here, as I'm a bit behind cause I've been busy the last two days.

It's actually almost bizarre how much of EotW is foreshadowing. It's almost an entire book of just foreshadowing.

As to those tipoffs,

1) Removing Bela's weakness. He later gets loopy and dizzy around the Whitecloaks and in the Inn in Baerlon, briefly.
2) Breaking loose the rudder on Domon's ship. He later gets loopy and dizzy up in the rigging.
3) Blasting the darkfriend with lightning in (Market Sheran?). Gets flat out sick in an inn and Matt takes care of him.

Almost every single thing that happens in EotW is not just a plot point but also foreshadowing or part of some puzzle. It's really an amazingly intricate book.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wow, I haven't gone back to the beginning of this series in years. Summer vacation, tearing through eight books in eight days.... I think I might just do this. Remember the good times a bit.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Bongo Bill posted:

Wow, I haven't gone back to the beginning of this series in years. Summer vacation, tearing through eight books in eight days.... I think I might just do this. Remember the good times a bit.

You read eight WoT books in eight days :aaaaa:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ross posted:

I did it by not doing anything else at all.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Bongo Bill posted:

That is remarkable, I don't think I could even force myself to do that. I like the series for sure but it just doesn't grab me with the "can't put it down" bug very often.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's actually almost bizarre how much of EotW is foreshadowing. It's almost an entire book of just foreshadowing.

As to those tipoffs,

1) Removing Bela's weakness. He later gets loopy and dizzy around the Whitecloaks and in the Inn in Baerlon, briefly.
2) Breaking loose the rudder on Domon's ship. He later gets loopy and dizzy up in the rigging.
3) Blasting the darkfriend with lightning in (Market Sheran?). Gets flat out sick in an inn and Matt takes care of him.

Almost every single thing that happens in EotW is not just a plot point but also foreshadowing or part of some puzzle. It's really an amazingly intricate book.

Ah, thats it. It really is amazing how much is foreshadowing, yeah. I must've read the book three or four times, and I JUST picked up that Rand can sense Moirane is channeling, even if he doesn't yet know he can do it. There is even a scene where he says "the moon made a nimbus around her", that I think may have been originally tied into this before it was decided that men could only FEEL not see women embracing the True Source. Thom saying Rand has "the height of an Aielman" is nice too..

I'd also COMPLETELY forgotten that the stone of Tear was even mentioned this early in the story, I thought it didn't come up till book two.

Ross posted:

I dunno that sounds about right.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Still, that requires significant reading speed. If I can do more than a page a minute in the hardcover format, I'm doing well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I certainly wouldn't want to do it that way again, though. You miss a lot speed-reading too fast, and the point of a reread is to pick up on the little details. Since you already know what happens next, you can afford to sit back and enjoy the mood. So I'm going to take my time with this. Probably.

(There's a relative of mine who's a notoriously quick read. On a few occasions we've raced, but I haven't beaten her yet. We think she does it by skipping all the adjectives.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

terminal mehmet posted:

Still, that requires significant reading speed. If I can do more than a page a minute in the hardcover format, I'm doing well.

I know people who read books all the time, but have a really slow reading speed because they pour over and absorb every word, taking thier time and enjoying every second of the experience. And then there's people who read so fast that the only reason reading the Mistborn series took them two days was because they had to go back to the book shop and buy the sequels.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I just finished my first read of the series last month and I've got a lot of other books that I want to read right now, so I won't be reading along with this thread. It'll be fun to see the discussion and be reminded of early-book details via the thread, though. Good luck, all, and just push through when you get to book 10; it's worth it, I promise! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Prison Warden posted:

I dunno that sounds about right.

Maybe I'm just slower than average but it sounds nigh impossible to me without skimming most of it or devoting your whole waking day to it like he said he did. Your typical WoT book is ~ 300,000 words and Wiki claims the average adult reading speed is about 250 words/min, that's 20 hours of reading. 250 sounds pretty slow to me but even if you triple it that's 6-7 hours a day. I'd suspect the average WoT reader is not getting through the books at anywhere near that pace.

• Locked thread