Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Max Payne 3 is getting delayed till May, the XCOM FPS is getting delayed as well.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/17/max-payne-3-delayed/

I figured as much. The time between when it got announced (Max Payne) and when it was suppose to come out, seemed very early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

She'd be happier with the Saints in 3 than in 2. Compared to 2 the Saints in 3 are practically...saint-like.

... to my loins!

Oh!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

So I just got 3D Dot Game Heroes, what happened to that custom character database where you could download the saves on a flash drive?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Does Parasite Eve hold up? I've got six bucks burning a hole in my PSN wallet.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

RandolphCarter posted:

The soundtrack alone does, so yeah, get it.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

So I just borrowed and finished both Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3 and I can't count the times how frustrated I got due to inane stupid game design. I'm still gonna play UC2 as that one's widely heralded as the best in the series though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

It's dated but it holds up better than some. The biggest problem is the "fancy" CGI (which looks like crap now) and the fact that everything in the game is s-l-o-w. The text, the walking, everything.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

BAN DICKEYE posted:

So I just got 3D Dot Game Heroes, what happened to that custom character database where you could download the saves on a flash drive?

The official site is here: http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com/hallofheroes/. The bad news is that the only sort method they have for almost 40 pages of characters is 'by date', and there is no search functionality (though you can do a site search through Google). On the bright side, it is fun to just page through all the characters and see some of the crazier ones. Looks like they've trimmed off all the licensed content, so I guess I'll have to hang onto my pre-purge Sir Batman.

XionPi
May 8, 2006

nosophoros posted:

So I just borrowed and finished both Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3 and I can't count the times how frustrated I got due to inane stupid game design. I'm still gonna play UC2 as that one's widely heralded as the best in the series though.

The complaints about 1 are pretty consistent across everyone's playthroughs, but what were your specific issues with 3? I'm not saying there aren't any; just curious what yours were. Between the 3, I thought the 3rd had the best overall design.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

RandolphCarter posted:

I think so, but I never got around to owning and playing PE when it was new. I managed to get all the way to day 6(?) I think after the hospital attack, on the roof Sort of put it down for no reason...

I think I want to finish PE1 before I start any new games.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Scyron posted:

I think so, but I never got around to owning and playing PE when it was new. I managed to get all the way to day 6(?) I think after the hospital attack, on the roof Sort of put it down for no reason...

I think I want to finish PE1 before I start any new games.

That's on day 4.

EDIT: You're more than halfway through the game.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 17, 2012

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

nosophoros posted:

What is the consensus around here on Uncharted 3? I recently rented and beat the game and to be honest, I thought it was pretty bad. The gameplay is generally pretty boring, the game holds your hand through the entire game, the climbing sequences are almost always linear and impossible to lose at. I cannot fathom how it got so many amazing reviews, I feel like I'm missing something.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Uncharted 3 was the worst of the series for me. The plot went full-on grimdark and had none of the charm the first one had, the battle setpieces were worse than in the first game and the pacing was all over the place - there's no platforming or puzzle-solving during the last half of the game. The latter was the only thing I liked about it since I've always thought combat was the only thing Uncharted's gameplay was good at.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Orzo posted:

What is the consensus around here on Uncharted 3? I recently rented and beat the game and to be honest, I thought it was pretty bad. The gameplay is generally pretty boring, the game holds your hand through the entire game, the climbing sequences are almost always linear and impossible to lose at. I cannot fathom how it got so many amazing reviews, I feel like I'm missing something.

I thought the 3rd was pretty weak myself whether it was from the initial aiming problems, to the sloppy encounter design, to the sloppy narrative. It also annoyed me that enemies just sometimes did not react to being shot at all. I just felt like 1 and 2 were much better, although 3 was passable.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
How can you tell if your PS3 is PS2 backwards compatible? Mine is a PAL fat 80gb model. I don't think it is, but the system menu has an option for virtual PS2 memory cards, so I'm not certain.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Dr Snofeld posted:

How can you tell if your PS3 is PS2 backwards compatible? Mine is a PAL fat 80gb model. I don't think it is, but the system menu has an option for virtual PS2 memory cards, so I'm not certain.

It's not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Model_comparison

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I played through the Uncharted series this weekend and UC2 and UC3 were equally awesome. It really seems like people are reaching for anything negative to say about the game, as if they really want to dislike it for some reason. They'll find a single example of a fault and apply it to the game as a whole, or say something completely retarded like "too linear" as if that's inherently a flaw (or somehow different from the previous two). Or they just really suck at the game and therefore blame the game instead of themselves despite almost nobody else running into the same issues as them (which is not limited to Uncharted 3).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr Snofeld posted:

This should help, but I guess it looks to me like 80gb PAL units aren't. That surprises me though, I thought they were.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

I played through the Uncharted series this weekend and UC2 and UC3 were equally awesome. It really seems like people are reaching for anything negative to say about the game, as if they really want to dislike it for some reason. They'll find a single example of a fault and apply it to the game as a whole, or say something completely retarded like "too linear" as if that's inherently a flaw (or somehow different from the previous two). Or they just really suck at the game and therefore blame the game instead of themselves despite almost nobody else running into the same issues as them (which is not limited to Uncharted 3).

Understand that I paid $60 for the game new. It is idiotic for me to want to pay that much money just to hate a game. No, I was genuinely disappointed after playing through and beating said game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and I feel that my complaints are valid despite other people enjoying it or having no problems at all with it.

I got a game full of sequences that seem to rather show me a movie than actually give me my freedom to deviate from the plan. One of the major setpieces in the game is simply beating up a dude, hitting a button and then climbing and taking cover while waiting, and the chase sequences started to wear thin after about the 2nd one.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 18, 2012

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think the most depressing thing about Uncharted 3 is that so many people talk about the game as if it's only a singleplayer experience, completely ignoring the fact that is has absolutely amazing online co-op and competitive gameplay modes.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Three PS3 games I want in the next three months:

Never Dead: You're immortal. Also a Dick. I think it's the apocalypse. Your body parts come off and you can attach your arms to your head and shoot demons. Holy poo poo.

Binary Domain: Robots evolve to a point where they believe they are every bit as alive as humans. Sounds like Blade Runner! Maybe it will feature a philosophical quandary about what constitutes being alive! Nah, it looks like you're part of a crew of humans that blasts those stupid robots to a hell they never qualified to go to. I think the guy who created Yakuza is behind this.

Yakuza of the Dead: It's Yakuza but with zombies. Buy this!

MelvinTheJerk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 18, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

I think the most depressing thing about Uncharted 3 is that so many people talk about the game as if it's only a singleplayer experience, completely ignoring the fact that is has absolutely amazing online co-op and competitive gameplay modes.

It might be the whole online pass thing. I did enjoy the multiplayer much more than the singleplayer so there is that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Yakuza of the Dead: It's Yakuza but with zombies. Buy this!
Well that and a really bad control scheme, unless they do intend to fix it for the foreign versions.

Also it's just weird and wrong being Kiryu but unable to punch anyone (outside of one specific scripted encounter it seems).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Never Dead: You're immortal. Also a Dick. I think it's the apocalypse. Your body parts come off and you can attach your arms to your head and shoot demons. Holy poo poo.
I'm looking forward to your impressions of it, because the Youtube videos all look terrible.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Uncharted 3's real crime was taking out single player unlocks, thus eliminating any reason to go back and replay the game or find treasures.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Right, so anyone who says anything negative about the game is reaching, retarded, or bad at the game.

I wanted to enjoy the game, I thought the first two were pretty decent and kept waiting for the third one to get good. And it certainly wasn't too difficult, there were only a few spots that I can recall dying more than once at, and they were pretty quick. I don't know if you're referring to my post when you quote 'too linear', but seriously, you actually enjoyed the climbing sequences? In almost every climbing situation, there are no decisions to be made--you just jump from this pole to the next one, then climb up 5 stones (they don't even break, unlike Uncharted 2 iirc), then shimmy across a thing, and tada! You did it! The game treats the player like an idiot.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well that and a really bad control scheme, unless they do intend to fix it for the foreign versions.

Also it's just weird and wrong being Kiryu but unable to punch anyone (outside of one specific scripted encounter it seems).

Buy this so they keep porting Yakuza games to the US!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Buy this so they keep porting Yakuza games to the US!
It may be the first Yakuza game I buy, depending.

I'm confused how they're going to make brawling with zombies satisfying, though. Zombies aren't usually known for combos and counters or intelligently wielding weapons.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

ElwoodCuse posted:

Uncharted 3's real crime was taking out single player unlocks, thus eliminating any reason to go back and replay the game or find treasures.

I wondered where those were in the menu. I just assumed that it would open up after a first completion. That's a really strange decision on ND's part.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Shalinor posted:

It may be the first Yakuza game I buy, depending.

I'm confused how they're going to make brawling with zombies satisfying, though. Zombies aren't usually known for combos and counters or intelligently wielding weapons.

Don't buy this as your first Yakuza game. I say this because it's a wonderful series and this game as your first will give you the worst impression of the series.

Yakuza of the Dead is a stupid zombie game for fans of the series and at worst fans of zombies. It's not even a brawler.

Here's my suggestion to you: Buy Yakuza 4. There's a thing in there that does a truly great job of catching you up on the previous games. Watch all of that then play through 4. Once you've done that and you're now a fan, then get Yakuza of the Dead.

Seriously, Yakuza 4 is an incredible game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Don't buy this as your first Yakuza game. I say this because it's a wonderful series and this game as your first will give you the worst impression of the series.

Yakuza of the Dead is a stupid zombie game for fans of the series and at worst fans of zombies. It's not even a brawler.

Here's my suggestion to you: Buy Yakuza 4. There's a thing in there that does a truly great job of catching you up on the previous games. Watch all of that then play through 4. Once you've done that and you're now a fan, then get Yakuza of the Dead.

Seriously, Yakuza 4 is an incredible game.

Listen to this man, and if you have a PS2, buy Yakuza 2.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

blackguy32 posted:

Listen to this man, and if you have a PS2, buy Yakuza 2.

Yes!

Yakuza 1 doesn't hold up gameplay wise, but the story is important. Yakuza 2 is one of the very best PS2 games ever made. Absolutely worth playing, though kind of rare. Yakuza 2 is notable for how insanely over the top the badassness gets.

Yakuza 3 scratched an itch, but Yakuza 4 is just so much better in every regard that I just suggest people skip it and go from 2 to 4.

But yes, 2 is such an incredible game that if it's possible you MUST play it. Preferably as your first Yakuza game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Yes!

Yakuza 1 doesn't hold up gameplay wise, but the story is important. Yakuza 2 is one of the very best PS2 games ever made. Absolutely worth playing, though kind of rare. Yakuza 2 is notable for how insanely over the top the badassness gets.

Yakuza 3 scratched an itch, but Yakuza 4 is just so much better in every regard that I just suggest people skip it and go from 2 to 4.

But yes, 2 is such an incredible game that if it's possible you MUST play it. Preferably as your first Yakuza game.

Yakuza 2: You invade a Japanese castle that splits open to reveal a solid gold Japanese castle full of samurai warriors who you gun down with an MG42. Then you punch two tigers to death. This is just something that happens in the middle of the game.

If you don't play any other Yakuza games, play Yakuza 4. If you want to play Yakuza 3, play Yakuza 2 first, as Yakuza 3 takes a long time to get going and can get boring if you're not already invested in the series. If you want to PUNCH TWO loving TIGERS IN THEIR FACES BECAUSE YOU'RE GODDAMN loving KIRYU KAZUMA, then play Yakuza 2, because it's so good.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I was hoping to not spoil that for someone new to the series, but yes, that is a thing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I was hoping to not spoil that for someone new to the series, but yes, that is a thing.

That scenario is what got me into the whole series in the first place, and words did not do justice to how badass it was. There's also that one host club. You know the one.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

edit: nevermind

the truth fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 18, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Binary Domain: Robots evolve to a point where they believe they are every bit as alive as humans. Sounds like Blade Runner! Maybe it will feature a philosophical quandary about what constitutes being alive! Nah, it looks like you're part of a crew of humans that blasts those stupid robots to a hell they never qualified to go to. I think the guy who created Yakuza is behind this.

I was in a focus testing group for this. You don't want it.

In other news:

I'm away from gaming for a week, what I wanna know is;

1) is the Starhawk beta different from the private beta in any way?

2) is the Amalur demo good?

Maybe more stuff... We'll see.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Puddin posted:

I wondered where those were in the menu. I just assumed that it would open up after a first completion. That's a really strange decision on ND's part.

They've stated that for some reason they couldn't figure out the unlock system caused a bunch of problems with the engine. They didn't just take it out to take it out.

Feenix posted:

2) is the Amalur demo good?

Maybe more stuff... We'll see.

I played the 360 version and the game is okay. Its actually deeper than at first blush where it just appears to be a standard third person lite-RPG. One thing I really didn't like about it though was the camera, it just felt too close and is too easy to run around hitting enemies and lose view of yourself/enemies.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Feenix posted:

I was in a focus testing group for this. You don't want it.

I'm interested in the game, can you elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Krad posted:

I'm interested in the game, can you elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

The art, the gameplay, the graphics, the heart of it...

• Locked thread