Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

rage-saq posted:

Posting my brewing setup.
I bought the brewstand from https://www.brewersequipment.com whom also made the eRIMS tube and control panel arm mount. I made the control panel based mostly off the designs that http://theelectricbrewery.com/ put together, modified to my own spec.

I do an initial strike heating with both propane and the RIMs tube, gets me up to strike temp in about 5 minutes, then I turn off the propane and let the Auber PID tune in and stabilize the mash temp to what I want it to be.
I recirculate during the entire mash after I do a 10 minute rest and on most beer styles I'll step the temperature up to 165f for 10 minutes for a mashout.

After my mash is done I drain off to the kettle by moving the lid and then batch sparge since I don't have a third fancy pot with a drain valve etc. I recirculate for another 20 minutes and then drain to the kettle again.

Boil for 90 minutes or so while recirculating through my plate heat exchanger and then start cooling. First with some (generally lukewarm) ground water from a hose that I spliced the QDs I use into, and then with some cold water & ice to get it down to temp nice and fast.
I have a copper tube drilled in through some pipe elbows with a QD on it to get a nice whirlpool going in the kettle and once I get down to temp I let it rest for 5 minutes to let the trub cone form and get a pretty clean draining to my fermenter.

Just move the hose and turn the pump back in, letting it run nice and slow as to not disturb the trub cone.

I ferment in a 7g Blichmann conical that I regulate in a chest freezer with a Ranco dual stage temp controller. After that I keg and put it in this bad boy.

I can fit about 8 kegs in there, a little free space for whatever and about 220-240 commercial bottles. I just put a 3 line and 4 line co2 distributor in there because all the hoses were a huge mess, cleaned things up a lot.

I hope sometime in the coming year to finally get my last 15g Blichmann kettle and have a 15/15/10 setup that I can do all kinds of fun stuff with, the least of which is getting back to fly sparging which should reduce my overall brew time.

madre de loving dios

That is an outstanding setup man.

eight kegs at a time going, you must drink a real lot of beer.

I salute you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Did my first 5 gallon batch on Sunday, along with my first attempt at mini-mashing. Also got to use my immersion chiller for the first time, although I found out too late that it only has a spigot connector and not a indoor faucet one. So I ended up standing there for 15 minutes clamping it onto the faucet as tightly as I could with my hands. That was a pain in the rear end.

Crappy image of immersion chiller and my rubberband rigging system which didn't hold any pressure at all.

Having the big canning pot was so much nicer. Did a 3 gallon boil volume (and I'm pretty sure my stove wouldn't be able to get much more volume boiling) and I had no problems with boilovers from it. Also, the canning rack makes a great sparging rack for a mini-mash.

The fermentor was already bubbling away this morning, so now I just have to drink and clean enough bottles for 5 gallons of beer...

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

chiz posted:

madre de loving dios

That is an outstanding setup man.

eight kegs at a time going, you must drink a real lot of beer.

I salute you.

Or he has friends who drink a lot of beer... but I wouldn't know anything about that... no, sir. Not me.

If Austin hadn't gifted me 6 bottles of Maharaja on Saturday I could say I'm "low on beer" and justify breaking into your garage and stealing what's left of that keg of blonde, rage-saq, BUT I GUESS I'LL JUST SUFFER ALONG QUIETLY.

Actually, that reminds me, my IPA should be ready by next weekend methinks.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I found a decent cheap turkey fryer at Home Depot online if anyone is interested. I've heard good things about it for what it is.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Alleric posted:

Or he has friends who drink a lot of beer... but I wouldn't know anything about that... no, sir. Not me.

If Austin hadn't gifted me 6 bottles of Maharaja on Saturday I could say I'm "low on beer" and justify breaking into your garage and stealing what's left of that keg of blonde, rage-saq, BUT I GUESS I'LL JUST SUFFER ALONG QUIETLY.

Actually, that reminds me, my IPA should be ready by next weekend methinks.

You left too soon yesterday. You can see a list of beers we opened. Good times.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Found stuff floating on the top in my cider bottles when I got home from a weeks vacation, what is this? Is my cider ruined?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

His Divine Shadow posted:

Found stuff floating on the top in my cider bottles when I got home from a weeks vacation, what is this? Is my cider ruined?

It's hard to tell what it is, if anything - what stage is your cider at? Is it still fermenting or is it conditioning? Have the yeast been killed off via campden tabs or something like that?

If you're still in the fermentation process I'd crack the fermenter open and take a sniff - most critters that could live in cider will produce some noticeable odors.

If you're in the middle of bottle conditioning you may want to open a bottle and see what's going on - wild bugs can ferment further than yeast can and it's possible that an infection could lead to bottle bombs so it's important to know if you're dealing with before it gets to that stage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It smells like apple wine and tastes sour, which I guess is normal. It's been a bit over a week, week and a half maybe. All the bottles I look has stuff, not all have the dark bits though.

Edit: The yeast has not been killed off either, I added sugar in fact so I could carbonate the cider in the bottles, the bottles where also sterilized in the oven for an hour at 200C. No noticeable odors either, just the usual wine and alcohol smell. I will see about opening another bottle in a month and trying it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 16, 2012

grass
Jun 10, 2008

by T. Mascis
I do all my apple wine/ciders with no added preservatives or chemical cleaners, alot of the time you will get a fine white mold layer on the top, its no problem, it will slightly effect the taste, but you can filter it out with a really fine filter, wont hurt you or nothing. From talking to some brewmasters in the area, when you brew with nothing added the fine white layer is all good, its when it changes color that you have to worry. Iv done around 30 44l carboys full of apple cider/wine in my time, all done with nothing added but pure fresh pressed apple juice, honey and yeast. SO yea, that is just some personal opinion, but you say some have dark bits, thats the worry, new to me.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Speaking of ciders, I just took a hydrometer reading of mine and HOLY CRAP did it get dry: 0.992! I had an estimated OG of 1.079 (didn't have a thief at the time and had to rely on the estimate) which means I'm looking at just short of 12%.

I still need to back sweeten it, but currently, it tastes like a tart apple champagne that was left out too long and lost it's fizz. I'm thinking about maybe siphoning off some in this state to try carbonating it like a champagne to see how it tastes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

grass posted:

I do all my apple wine/ciders with no added preservatives or chemical cleaners, alot of the time you will get a fine white mold layer on the top, its no problem, it will slightly effect the taste, but you can filter it out with a really fine filter, wont hurt you or nothing. From talking to some brewmasters in the area, when you brew with nothing added the fine white layer is all good, its when it changes color that you have to worry. Iv done around 30 44l carboys full of apple cider/wine in my time, all done with nothing added but pure fresh pressed apple juice, honey and yeast. SO yea, that is just some personal opinion, but you say some have dark bits, thats the worry, new to me.

It's not in all bottles, I guess it could be crud in this particular one. They where all sanitized like all gently caress multiple times, and then sterilized in the oven. Some of the bottles had lots of crap in them as they had been sitting in a shed for over a decade. This cider was also made from fresh apple juice, with wine yeast and "brewing sugar" (I think it's dextrose).

BTW I wanted to try brewing ale now and I saw Alton Browns episode on beer making and it was quite interesting, his fermenting buckets had taps though, that would really have made things easier for me, can you buy them separately and install them yourself later on?

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 16, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BTW I wanted to try brewing ale now and I saw Alton Browns episode on beer making and it was quite interesting, his fermenting buckets had taps though, that would really have made things easier for me, can you buy them separately and install them yourself later on?

They are usually called bottling buckets. You should be able to buy the spigots from any brewing supply place I think. You will need a way to drill a ~1" hole in an existing bucket if you want to just buy a spigot.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Speaking of ciders, I just took a hydrometer reading of mine and HOLY CRAP did it get dry: 0.992! I had an estimated OG of 1.079 (didn't have a thief at the time and had to rely on the estimate) which means I'm looking at just short of 12%.

I still need to back sweeten it, but currently, it tastes like a tart apple champagne that was left out too long and lost it's fizz. I'm thinking about maybe siphoning off some in this state to try carbonating it like a champagne to see how it tastes.

What yeast did you use? That sounds like the kind of cider I want to drink.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
In my experience, cider and any sort of yeast always yields extremely dry hard cider. I've gotten under 1.000 using both champagne yeast and US-05 and this year I tried WYeast's sweet mead and that still brought it down to .998. Cider must be nothing but fermentable sugars.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Jacobey000 posted:

Add them to secondary.

Why wouldn't I want them to ferment with everything else?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

how well can the wine yeast go after normal sugar? Can it eat it at all, or only partially

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

I saw Alton Browns episode on beer making and it was quite interesting

I've seen that episode also, and unfortunately, it's kind of crap. I mean, I think it's great that someone like Alton Brown used his popularity to spread the word about homebrewing, but the methods he used were kind of questionable in several places.

That said, brewing using better methods is not hard. Read http://howtobrew.com and get equipment and supplies from a good retailer and you should have good results.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Speaking of ciders, I just took a hydrometer reading of mine and HOLY CRAP did it get dry: 0.992!

RiggenBlaque posted:

In my experience, cider and any sort of yeast always yields extremely dry hard cider. I've gotten under 1.000 using both champagne yeast and US-05 and this year I tried WYeast's sweet mead and that still brought it down to .998. Cider must be nothing but fermentable sugars.

Using Champagne yeast, I got 0.995. When I used Sweet Mead, S-04 and WLP775, I had much less dry results. It seems to help to add a bunch of sugar or honey as the yeast slow down a lot in higher-gravity ciders. Champagne yeast is more aggressive even in that circumstance, though.

how well can the wine yeast go after normal sugar? Can it eat it at all, or only partially

It will eat the gently caress out of it. High OGs may not be fully attenuated, but in anything below say 1.060 (higher with some strains), sucrose will get converted to ethanol and CO2 quite handily by any beer or wine yeast.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 16, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I was using Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast for the cider. Oddly enough, the apple cider I used as a base DID contain potassium-sorbate (.1% according to the package). I was worried about it stalling out early since all reproduction would be inhibited, so I did a 1.52 qt starter using some dark brown sugar and pitched it all the next morning.
Since I had only done beer before, I was expecting a kraeusen on top that never came, so despite the fizzy bubbling, I pitched two more packets of Red Star that I hydrated but did not put in a starter. Beersmith estimated my yeast population at 600 billion. Based on the cake on the bottom of the carboy, I believe it, that thing is just over 2 inches tall.

As for my recipe, it's pretty simple:

5 Gallons cider
1 lb dark brown sugar
2 lb honey
1 lb maple syrup

and I used a 1.5 qt of water in the starter and a little bit of water to get the remnants of honey and maple out of their bottles.

The airlock is still bubbling, but I assume at this point it's mostly just CO2 coming out of suspension, not continued fermentation action. Just to be sure, I'm considering stirring everything up and letting it re-settle over another week or two before I hit it with campden and potassium-sorbate so I can back-sweeten it.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
One more kegging question: Are the chrome Perlick faucets fine, or should I shell out for the stainless steel ones?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

RiggenBlaque posted:

I used Nottingham this year and it finished sweet.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Plastic Jesus posted:

Why wouldn't I want them to ferment with everything else?

Because if they were present during primary fermentation, the much more vigorous stage of fermentation will drive away most of the fruity goodness right out of your airlock. There will be enough yeast in suspension to ferment the blackberries in the secondary.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Imaduck posted:

One more kegging question: Are the chrome Perlick faucets fine, or should I shell out for the stainless steel ones?

I've heard a few times that after using them for a couple years all the chrome gets worn off and there's only one place the chrome could be going. I just shelled out the extra dough for stainless even thought it was painful to spend that much more.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Imaduck posted:

Depends on how much use you're expecting out of your setup - on paper it makes more sense to go all out with SS from the very beginning to avoid replacement costs, but this can set the initial costs prohibitively high if you're going for a multi-tap setup.

From what I hear, your average restaurants/bars use chrome-plated stuff so it can't be positively lethal though still not very pleasant to consider - I personally have a 4-tap setup with chrome-plated faucets and shanks and have yet to see any of the brass below in the handful of times I've disassembled the faucets and plating is supposed to be extremely thin so I can't imagine each individual glass has an amount of chrome that's significant though over time... yeah... I just try not to think about it :)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chromium and molybdenum aren't heavy metals and can even be biologically active in a helpful way. The worst part about chroming coming off your taps is that your taps now look like horse poo poo.

e. speaking of kegging I am in the market for a system and was wondering if anyone had guidelines on how many cornies and optionally CO2 cans you can fit into any given size of chest freezer. I could do the legwork or research eventually but that goes against the whole point of the internet.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 17, 2012

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

zedprime posted:

e. speaking of kegging I am in the market for a system and was wondering if anyone had guidelines on how many cornies and optionally CO2 cans you can fit into any given size of chest freezer. I could do the legwork or research eventually but that goes against the whole point of the internet.

It depends on if you build a collar that lets you fit kegs on the compressor hump and also if you use ball or pin locks as well as the size of the chest freezer. I have an 8.8 cu ft one with a collar and ball locks and I can fit 5 kegs and a 20 lb CO2 tank, or six kegs if I moved the tank outside.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Stupid noob question

My first two batches were Brewers Best kits. The first one I did was an IPA this spring, and a cream ale in October/November or so. I got lazy and left that batch sit in a secondary for a while, and then 2 weeks ago I bottled it the same time as I bottled a porter I made (extract recipe, but not a kit).

Last night I tasted the cream ale, and I noticed an aftertaste that it had in common with the IPA. It was overly sweet, and just seemed off. It seemed to have mellowed out some after the IPA sat a month or two in my basement, but was still there. The initial taste seems appropriate to the style, but then this sharp sweet taste hits.

The porter, which was not from a kit, does not have this flavor. It was smooth and tasted great; I am really happy with it. I used extract, specialty grain, and whole leaf hops purchased from a different shop than where I got the first two kits, and used a week-old pack of Wyeast 1056.

Is this aftertaste what people talk about when they say "extract twang" and is this the result of the kits having been spoiled? The homebrew shop had a wall full of those kits, so I can't imagine they get turned over fairly quickly.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

I've heard a few times that after using them for a couple years all the chrome gets worn off and there's only one place the chrome could be going. I just shelled out the extra dough for stainless even thought it was painful to spend that much more.

I've seen faucets that had had all the coating eaten off inside. I think it took more than a couple years, but I decided I would just buy stainless gear after that. Zedprime is probably right that it won't actually kill you or even hurt you. Super Rad is probably right that bars and restaurants use chromed faucets without issues. I figured I was only going to buy faucets once (unless I expand), so why not get the nice ones.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

kitten smoothie posted:

Is this aftertaste what people talk about when they say "extract twang" and is this the result of the kits having been spoiled? The homebrew shop had a wall full of those kits, so I can't imagine they get turned over fairly quickly.

I would hesitate to say "spoiled," but the theory is that the "extract twang" comes from stale extract. Unfortunately, a lot of shops just don't do a lot of business and can't turn over their stock that fast. Buy from a retailer you know has good turnover and you won't have to worry.

It's hard to say for sure this is what you're tasting, but it's a pretty good guess. Try another vendor for a batch or two and see if the issue goes away, maybe.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

I would hesitate to say "spoiled," but the theory is that the "extract twang" comes from stale extract. Unfortunately, a lot of shops just don't do a lot of business and can't turn over their stock that fast. Buy from a retailer you know has good turnover and you won't have to worry.

It's hard to say for sure this is what you're tasting, but it's a pretty good guess. Try another vendor for a batch or two and see if the issue goes away, maybe.

This is primarily why I won't buy LME or the Brewers Best kits at my LHBS anymore. DME has a much better shelf-life. I'll happily buy anything else at the LHBS though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jo3sh posted:

Yep, the next batch was all ingredients from a different shop and not out of a kit, and it tastes really good with none of the twangy aftertaste. I'm a little sad I'm handing this batch out because from the one bottle I tasted, I really liked the stuff and not just because I made it. On the other hand I'm happy that the celebratory beer for the upcoming birth of my son is not going to be swill :v:

The shop where I got the bum kits was a place that had a ton of LD Carlson/Brewers Best stuff in the back of the store and also sold a bunch of herbal crap in the front of the shop. The fermentables in the kits were mostly LME with a little bit of dry extract, so that might well have explained it. I don't remember if the kits had pack dates on them or not but I guess I'd put a fair bit of money on them being stale. The shop where I got the good ingredients seems to move the stuff fast since that's all they do. Hops and yeast are super fresh there; the 2 or 3 Wyeast packs I've bought there were all less than 10 days old.

Now that I think about it, the kits in shops probably have to trend toward being stale in general. You might do a kit for the first batch or two to get the hang of the process, but then after that you're buying loose stuff. So your ability to get a kit that isn't stale depends upon the shop's ability to get people in the door who are completely new to brewing.

At any rate, I have bought the valves to convert coolers to all-grain and that would pretty much render this all moot. But I have hesitated on going forward with it until March or so, because I don't see myself standing out there in the damned cold for a few hours cooking stuff up. And then this weekend and last weekend we had 70 degree days in the middle of January which would have been perfect brew days. Oh well.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
In looking to pick up a new brewing book, would people recommend Designing Great Beers or Brewing Classic Styles?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Toebone posted:

Brewing Classic Styles?

I haven't read Designing Great Beers but I really like my copy of Brewing Classic Styles. The recipes are extract by default and he's got a blurb with each of them sort of explaining the history and characteristics of the style. It's very, very informative for a neophyte like myself.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I have and use both of them. It's telling that they are here on my desk, rather than in the bookcase behind me. The other brewing book I have on my desk is Radical Brewing, so I guess those are my three favorite brewing books, at least at the moment.

Designing Great Beers is a rundown, style by style, of what goes into recipes that do well in competitions. Basically, it's an analysis of recipes, with results like, "x% of advancing recipes used this type of malt, in amounts ranging from y to z% of the grist." It will tell you what goes into a winning recipe, in an aggregated way. It does not contain recipes as such, just information about what you can put in a recipe if you want to do well with judges.

Brewing Classic Styles is mainly a book of recipes, again arranged style by style. The recipes are presented as extract plus specialty grains, with addenda for converting them to all-grain. I disagree a bit with some of the conversions they use, so check the math before you go buying grain, is my advice.

Both books address brewing primarily as brewing to the target of BJCP style guidelines. That's not really where I tend to brew, but if that's what you're looking for, you could do much much worse than to have these two books on your shelf and to use them as tools in building your recipes. I have made some very good beers by using these books, but I have not tried entering them in any competitions, as that's not really my thing.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Two part-er

Should I replace these poppets?

Is this an infection in my braggot?

I used raw honey and added to fermentor right before pitching the yeast so I'm not shocked if yes.They are conditioning (2nd week in fermentor). The bubble move kinda 'scummy' when container is shifted. When can I bottle then? Should I give them extra time before conditioning them in the bottles? Need I add sugar when bottling even?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TLDR it's about whether you want a recipe book, or a book on how to write your own recipes. I think both books are great but they have different goals.

A couple other distinguishing features:

* Designing Great Beers does not cover every style. I don't have it with me but off the top of my head, there is zero discussion of anything Belgian. It's also pretty old, so the discussion of American styles isn't necessarily all that relevant. I don't think there's much talk about all-late-hopping, for example, which is key to many of the hop bombs we know and love. That said, the styles it covers get a great treatment, including the history of how they came to be. BCS has at least one recipe, and sometimes several, for every single BCJP style including poo poo like pumpkin beer and lambics. But the "how" and "why" of the recipe gets maybe half a page instead of 20+.

* Designing Great Beers devotes half the book to brewing processes and ingredients, and how to choose which ones to use to get your desired result. There's also a lot of math on figuring out volumes and mash temps and stuff since it's from before brewing software was available. Some of it is a bit dated (good luck finding like half of the hop varieties he describes) but there's a lot of nice info, too. BCS has a couple brief chapters on the processes and ingredients the authors use so that you can more closely reproduce the recipes, but it's not as broad or deep as DGB.

* BCS is "just" a recipe book, but it is a very good one. I think it's a great book for new brewers, or really anyone who just wants to make beer they know will be good without a lot of fuss. It takes the recipe out of the equation and lets you focus on process. You will need something like Designing Great Beers and/or Radical brewing if you progress to developing your own recipes, though.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 17, 2012

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I decided to go with BCS. I figured it'd be worth it to have a solid baseline recipe for whatever style I'm riffing off of, instead of looking up a bunch of random recipes on homebrewtalk or whereever and hoping for the best. Designing Great Beers also sounds a bit more in depth than I need at the moment.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Anyone done a IPL? (India Pale Lager) How do they taste? I've got some experimental yeast from Wyeast that I need to get through 6 generations worth of data and I'm having a hard time keeping the variety in my fridge with it.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Noghri_ViR posted:

Anyone done a IPL? (India Pale Lager) How do they taste? I've got some experimental yeast from Wyeast that I need to get through 6 generations worth of data and I'm having a hard time keeping the variety in my fridge with it.

You could always be the first.

What about a lagered porter?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Left Hand and Terrapin did a collab IPL in 2010 called Oxymoron. They brewed it at Left Hand so I don't know anything about it other than it was delicious. Left Hand might have some info on their site.

Jacobey000 posted:

What about a lagered porter?

It's known as a baltic porter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I can't imagine it would be THAT different from a standard American IPA; it's not like WLP001 is imparting huge yeast character or anything. You'd probably also need to go even more overboard on late/dry hops to account for the long lagering period.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, just seems an odd choice. But most of the best homebrew probably is.

Josh Wow posted:

It's known as a baltic porter.

Or schwarzbier!