Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mercury Ballistic posted:

The Italian Cruise industry has a tradition of laying ships over after collisions with other objects.

Ouch. Too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

meatpimp posted:

Ouch. Too soon.
60 years is too soon?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Irony/bad joke or not there is a much desputed AI connection to the sinking of the AD.

Its been rumored for years that a number of other custom bodied chryslers and other show cars were lost and still sit at the bottom of the ocean. The most notable of these cars being the Chrylser Norseman.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I have to wonder at the amount of force that was needed to break loose and embed in the ship a chunk of rock the size of that boat in the foreground :psyduck: .

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MREBoy posted:

I have to wonder at the amount of force that was needed to break loose and embed in the ship a chunk of rock the size of that boat in the foreground :psyduck: .
When your tonnage is into six figures, and you're still only a little shy of 1bhp per ton, things that you hit tend to stay hit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MREBoy posted:

It probably didn't have to be broken loose, but jamming it in there that far would take some serious force too.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Saw on the news that they were telling people after the hit that there was an electrical issue or something and dont be worried.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

kastein posted:

It probably didn't have to be broken loose, but jamming it in there that far would take some serious force momentum too.
That's what's at play here.

Moral of the story: don't gently caress with a slow moving object if it's bigger than you are by over a factor of 100.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Just an electrical problem, please continue eating at the buffet. Thank you.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

:stare:

So he should be charged with manslaughter.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
I bet sliding down the side of that boat into the water would be the coolest slide ever. WHEEE!

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Method Loser posted:

I bet sliding down the side of that boat into the water would be the coolest slide ever. WHEEE!

Didn't you learn anything from The Propeller Guy?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Millstone posted:

Not to aim your cock at a propeller?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BlackShadow posted:

:stare:

So he should be charged with manslaughter.

He is.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/?hpt=hp_t1

quote:

The captain of the ill-fated vessel, which turned over on its side after the grounding, was arrested late Saturday and was being investigated for abandoning ship and manslaughter, a local prosecutor said.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Note to self, never get on, in, or near an Italian cruise ship. I see them come into Boston a lot. They've nearly run us over before.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was on a Costa cruise ship once when I was a kid :eek:

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Millstone posted:

Personally I'd be more worried about hitting the big loving rock. Or falling in right before said rock.

Also, I'd be fatality #4.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Chinatown posted:

Just an electrical problem, please continue eating at the buffet. Thank you.

Well saltwater has never mixed well with exposed electrical wiring so I can see their point. :pseudo:

So are they just going to leave the ship as it is to the elements or try salvaging it for scrap at least? I can't imagine the cost of excavating and repairing something like that as opposed to just replacing it with one built from recycled bits. :signings:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 15, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Oh, it is definitely getting salvaged at minimum. In large part because if they just left it there, a first world government, even in Italy, isn't going to like it there, leaking fluids.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

nm posted:

Oh, it is definitely getting salvaged at minimum. In large part because if they just left it there, a first world government, even in Italy, isn't going to like it there, leaking fluids.

Also, looters. If they're not there already, that is.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Black88GTA posted:

Chatham Massachusetts, anyone?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Black88GTA posted:

Wouldn't they be plunderers? :yarr:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Sponge! posted:

Wouldn't they be plunderers? :yarr:

Not really... any good pirate knows the age old saying...
First you pillage THEN you plunder.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

Not really... any good pirate knows the age old saying...
First you pillage THEN you plunder.

The women and children are all gone, so no pillaging. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pillage is bad enough without the rape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJqEKYbh-LU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCfgx_krIo0#t=35s

thus confirming that sema cars were not meant to actually be driven.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Some chains on ships are connected with a pin that is secured with a lead plug. Could be one of those. The chains are not hollow though.
are you with an ATON unit of a tender? I was up at ANT puget sound for a few years, no better job in the world

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-tUeHp6uXY&hd=1

:laugh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

law abiding rapist posted:

related:

From that video it looks like the entire weight of the front of that truck was being supported by a single 5/8" (ball park on size) bolt on each side, with the coil overs attached to opposite ends (one on the head of the bolt, one of the threaded end), in horizontal shear.

Talk about an mechanical failure waiting to happen.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's ok. The tiny-dick douchbag who would drive that would never take it off the road anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wow. I see 40k+ dollars worth of bling hardware assembled by a loving moron with the same level of mechanical aptitude as most florida mud truck builders.

At least the florida mud truck builders have fun with their stuff and aren't out much cash if their rolling junkpile flops over or spontaneously explodes :haw:

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

law abiding rapist posted:

related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-tUeHp6uXY&hd=1

I feel the same way about this as I do a Viper or what not.

Great, but how do you get in gracefully?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Every single time that things posted I can't stop laughing at the six second gap of silence

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

The Locator posted:

From that video it looks like the entire weight of the front of that truck was being supported by a single 5/8" (ball park on size) bolt on each side, with the coil overs attached to opposite ends (one on the head of the bolt, one of the threaded end), in horizontal shear.

Talk about an mechanical failure waiting to happen.

Yeah, but there's TWO of them so it's in double shear which is good right?

I really love the tragically undersized rotors. Probably not an issue because the braking system appears to be simply dropping the body straight onto the tires.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The bolts probably came from harbor freight, or Lowes

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I can see the entire thought process

"Ok, this bolt has a shear force of.....1500lbs. Four of them right? Yeah that's more than enough to support the truck!"

or the more likely

"these look big enough!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Even if the suspension wasn't supported by a single comically undersized bolt... is that kind of truck actually useful for anything?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

CaptBubba posted:

Even if the suspension wasn't supported by a single comically undersized bolt... is that kind of truck actually useful for anything?

Ignoring speed bumps, apparently.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i like the huge frame lift when the wheels are outside the arches anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

CaptBubba posted:

Off roading dude! Check out his huge(stock) ground clearance under those axles!