Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Tsuruoka's weakness posted:

The E above High-C

Oh, Random Stranger, you cheeky devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bocc Kob posted:

I want to see Arino and an AD team up and play Toejam & Earl.

This would probably be the best thing ever.

Especially if they got into the music.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

This would probably be the best thing ever.

Especially if they got into the music.

Parappa the Rapper would be awesome too.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I've seriously gotten into this show. I love Arino :3:. Dating sim ones are the best, I wish there were more. I love when they draw detailed charts on the whiteboard, especially the one on the Solomon's Key episode. Thanks goon translators. :h:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

I love when they draw detailed charts on the whiteboard, especially the one on the Solomon's Key episode.

This is what I miss the most. Takahashi, bless his heart, has barely picked up a marker.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah, Sasano was the main whiteboard guy. :( Still, others have made detailed dioramas and character profile cards so there is that.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
In case you have not been to rdbbb's page latly, he has posted the summaries for the 2 Battltoad episodes. Also, can someone tell me what challenges were on DVD 8 including the DVD exclusive challenge.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Corridor posted:

Yeah, Sasano was the main whiteboard guy. :( Still, others have made detailed dioramas and character profile cards so there is that.

One of my all time favourite GCCX moments was the strategy meeting for how to perform the triangle jump during the Super Mario Bros 2 challenge.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

This is what I miss the most. Takahashi, bless his heart, has barely picked up a marker.

My first reaction was, "Takahashi used the marker all the time! In fact in..."

And then I realized you meant Takahashi the Second who I'm not entirely certain if he can write.

Thinking about it all of the AD's who were great gamers didn't really use the whiteboard. The only time during Urakawa's time as AD that it got used I think it was actually Sasano who drew on the board.

joek0 posted:

Also, can someone tell me what challenges were on DVD 8 including the DVD exclusive challenge.

Mendel Palace, Densha de Go!, Paris-Dakar Rally, Genpei Tōma Den, Night of the Kamaitachi (which for some reason is the extended episode), Megaman 4

There's two bonus challenges this time: City Connection and Genpei Tōma Den 2 (aka Samurai Ghost).

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Mendel Palace, Densha de Go!, Paris-Dakar Rally, Genpei Tōma Den, Night of the Kamaitachi (which for some reason is the extended episode), Megaman 4

There's two bonus challenges this time: City Connection and Genpei Tōma Den 2 (aka Samurai Ghost).

I'm glad that every megaman challenge has been on DVD. Arino playing the megaman games have been fun too watch. Hope to see Megaman 1 and 4 subbed soon. I hope 1 is subbed soon so that all the episodes with the female AD Takahashi will be subbed soon. Can't wait for Arino to play Megaman 5.

Also is there a good raw for the Director's Cut for Street Fighter II.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Obeast posted:

If they ever do Dragon Warrior/Quest, they should have him do the Game Boy version in Dragon Warrior I & II

The GBC version was a technically-scaled-down rendition of a similar Japan-only SFC remake. They would undoubtedly use that one instead.

Also, I saw this yesterday :3:
http://youtu.be/txFoaxURoV4 Music and sound effects are from Famicom DQ2, I believe.

Iviv
May 2, 2010
Just found this thread through one of the ads, and it looks like an interesting show to watch. Though when I click the links to download the first season episodes, I'm getting the message:
Sorry no .torrent found with this ID, it has probably been deleted.

Is there any continuing 'plot' between the episodes, or is it something where you can just pick random episodes featuring games you already know and enjoy it like that?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Also, I saw this yesterday :3:
http://youtu.be/txFoaxURoV4 Music and sound effects are from Famicom DQ2, I believe.

This is way too awesome. That cat really wants the exp.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Cat was insanely lucky, usually it would have ran away by like the third turn at best.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Iviv posted:

Just found this thread through one of the ads, and it looks like an interesting show to watch. Though when I click the links to download the first season episodes, I'm getting the message:

Is there any continuing 'plot' between the episodes, or is it something where you can just pick random episodes featuring games you already know and enjoy it like that?

Occasionally there will be callbacks to weeks previous, like "Arino has failed at the last four games he's attempted! Will he survive this week?" but those are fairly self-explanatory. Occasionally there will be segments like "Ring Ring Tactics" which run consecutively over the course of a season which have their own continuity, but in general, you're safe picking up one with a game you know---or don't know. Half the fun of the show is learning about games you've never encountered before.

ETA: The availability of the early episodes can be a little spotty at times---they were translated by TV-Nihon, a group of non-goons, and as such, the goonstaff can only rely on where they know the latest versions of the downloads exist.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 17, 2012

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Iviv posted:

There's no real inter-episode plot beyond some seasons keeping a running tally of his win-loss record and going "Arino, if you don't pick up the pace you'll get a demotion!" There are callbacks to earlier episodes sometimes that you might enjoy more if you've watched them in approximate order, but it's not going to be a big deal.

Actually, there is one sort-of inter-episode plotlike thing, but it's not really much of one: in seasons 3 and 8 he did a "Ring Ring Tactics" segment, where he plays a game over the course of several episodes with viewers calling in to offer advice. That said, with the games in question you're not going to lose much continuity.

^^e;fb

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Iviv posted:

What happened is TV Nihon changed their torrents the other day. I've switched the links in the episode guide to point to the new ones.

But I do recommend skipping TV Nihon's for your first episodes. There was a pretty hefty format change between season one and two, season two still has some rough edges, and TV Nihon's work isn't very friendly for new viewers.

To quote myself on this:

myself posted:

There's a lot of episodes; where's a good place to start?

The show doesn't have a whole lot of continuity so you can just pick an episode featuring a game you're interested in and go for it.

But if you want recommendations here are five places that you can start from:

023 - Adventure Island - If there was ever a game designed to hurt children this is it. It started out looking so simple and things quickly turn bad.

031 - Umihara Kawase - It's a strange game involving getting around levels with a fishing pole, it has a painfully difficult condition for getting the best ending, and Arino is teamed up with a new assistant whose abilities are really shaky.

041 - Mighty Bomb Jack - It's the first time that Arino played for a live audience and it works to his strengths as a performer. Crew and fans alike pitch in to try to help finish the game. You can watch the dubbed version of episodes 39 and 40 first to get the full context but it's not necessary.

105 - Hokkaido Serial Murders - Arino plays a classic adventure game where he tries to solve a series of murders. An extra special guest shows up to help him out.

Game Center CX in the USA - The shining moment for the original thread was when it was announced that an episode of the series would be taped in the US. A lot of goons appear in this episode.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I was surprised TV Nihon's sub work on this show look so, I guess quick? They're usually obsessive with quality control on their Kamen Rider stuff. More Arino is never bad Arino though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I just hope they respect the work other people have done and skip over episodes that have already been subbed. It'd be really stupid if they didn't, but I keep feeling like that's what they're going to do.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Mister Chief posted:

One of my all time favourite GCCX moments was the strategy meeting for how to perform the triangle jump during the Super Mario Bros 2 challenge.

Between that and the video tape fitting perfectly inside the fish stock box that is probably my favorite episode.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Nickoten posted:

I just hope they respect the work other people have done and skip over episodes that have already been subbed. It'd be really stupid if they didn't, but I keep feeling like that's what they're going to do.

Huh? Multiple groups fansub the same anime and dramas all the time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Usually as they're coming out when there's a competitive rush to see who can do it fastest and best. Otherwise it's because they feel that all other subs are inadequate.

It has nothing to do with respect, though. Doing episodes SA Team has done wouldn't be disrespectful or anything, just wasteful. If they think they can do it much better, then good luck, I guess.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I've known TVN to drop projects mid-way through but never to skip episodes (outside of GCCX incidentally).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If any of you actually care about this then just PM the translator on TVN.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well, didn't expect this:

http://kotaku.com/5877067/where-can-you-watch-more-retro-game-master/gallery/1

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I would hardly call TV Nihon localization masters, but hey, at least they mentioned the show again. I haven't bothered to check GamingCX to see if they at least credit the SAGCCX team for the translations on the episodes they put up, but I get this sinking feeling they don't.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

I haven't bothered to check GamingCX to see if they at least credit the SAGCCX team for the translations on the episodes they put up, but I get this sinking feeling they don't.
I did bother, and they don't mention SAGCCX anywhere, if you click the video to open in youtube, it has text like:
code:
Check out http://www.gamingcx.com

GameCenter CX Subs by zari-gani, Nagoyan, ShinYaguchi, Random Stranger, miscellaneous14 & Gutcruncher and Clover FansubsCheck out http://www.gamingcx.com
And that's the only credit they give. Directly on the website where the video is embedded they just give a quick intro to GCCX and to the episode.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, SAGCCX? I've been labelling your subs as "[Team SA]" all this time :psyduck:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

rdbbb posted:

Drama fansubs are serious business. If you start subbing something another group already called dibs on, they will set fire to your lawn. :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

e^^^ Yeah, I remember reading some fanslated manga once that came with a splash intro page bitching about the other fanslation team of the same comic. Every issue they did had this page.

Haha, it's like Kotaku straight up just hate SA.

http://www.gamingcx.com/gccx/gamecentercx-episode-11-kato-chan-and-ken-chan-j-j-jeff#comment-1164

God some of the people in those comments are annoying.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Usually as they're coming out when there's a competitive rush to see who can do it fastest and best. Otherwise it's because they feel that all other subs are inadequate.

It has nothing to do with respect, though. Doing episodes SA Team has done wouldn't be disrespectful or anything, just wasteful. If they think they can do it much better, then good luck, I guess.

Well I mean more in the sense that they release episodes for the series so rarely that it just seems pointless to wait so long just to watch a sub of an already completed episode, just with more literal subtitles.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Who were responsible for "Sometimes you should go to this kind of gamecenter"?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, SAGCCX? I've been labelling your subs as "[Team SA]" all this time :psyduck:

I always use the SA Team, myself. As in:

Someone cue up Raymond Scott's Powerhouse, there's a real flurry of activity right now for the SA Team.

Of course it really doesn't matter what people call us.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I'm pissed they don't credit the wonderful goon translation effort, but glad that SA isn't exposed.

Essentially, keep kicking rear end SAGCCX team! gently caress the haters!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

KOTAK posted:

Sure, they're not dubbed, so those who don't like to read and watch at the same time are poo poo out of luck.

Travesty! I suppose KOTAK editors can relate, though.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Is it common for Japanese TV Shows to be plastered with text like GCCX does? I don't know why I'm only really noticing it now (after about 40 episodes watched), but the show seems put quite a lot of what is said in text on the screen.

Is this unique to GCCX or a common occurrence for Japanese TV? And why?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Xik posted:

Is it common for Japanese TV Shows to be plastered with text like GCCX does? I don't know why I'm only really noticing it now (after about 40 episodes watched), but the show seems put quite a lot of what is said in text on the screen.

Is this unique to GCCX or a common occurrence for Japanese TV? And why?

I've seen text plastered all over in some japanese talk shows.

As for why... I guess it's some kind of trend that caught on :stare:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Korean TV does lots of text on screen as well. And it's frankly more of a US aversion to reading, IMO. Don't know of another group of people that hate reading as much as the average American.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm not complaining. It helps me learn kanji!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

NeilPerry posted:

I'm not complaining. It helps me learn kanji!

Maybe that's why. Words in Japanese language can be written differently depending on the meaning so it helps to both hear and read the kanji for a given word.