Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Red Tails commercials on most channels and Red Tails commercials on the Historical Things Exploding featuring Hitler and/or Saddam channels are clearly promoting two different movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
The Geico country bar commercial got me googling for the song in the background. I normally hate most all country but it surprised the poo poo out of me to hear something good sounding coming from some marketing dept's idea of what country is.

The Wrinkle Neck Mules - Central Daylight time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf3FD0_BYiQ&feature=related

From this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOijSAOa1DI&feature=related
I want that big steak. Also the big haired blonde on the left.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Cracked has a relevant article today, Absurd situations that only happen in food commercials.

6. Fast food as party treat
5. Finding happiness in a can of soup
4. The delivery or DiGiorno mystery
3. Yogurt parties
2. Light beer as the ultimate test of manliness
1. Gourmet chefs working in fast food kitchens

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I can't decide what's funnier about the ads for "The Journey 2: The Mysterious Island"

1. That the title sounds like "The Journey to the Mysterious Island" and I thought there was just an awkward pause the first time I heard it
e: 2. It's a sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth starring Brendan Frasier, but with apparently no relation to it outside of the name
3. The song they used to open the ad is about teenage suicide
4. The irony of the title of that song being "Make it Stop"
5. Another "The Rock" adventure movie
6. The Special Effects

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 18, 2012

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Steak Justice posted:

I can't decide what's funnier about the ads for "The Journey 2: The Mysterious Island"

1. That the title sounds like "The Journey to the Mysterious Island" and I thought there was just an awkward pause the first time I heard it
e: 2. It's a sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth starring Brendan Frasier, but with apparently no relation to it outside of the name
3. The song they used to open the ad is about teenage suicide
4. The irony of the title of that song being "Make it Stop"
5. Another "The Rock" adventure movie

I don't know about the rest but #1 is intentional and #2 is because Fraser didn't want to work with the new director.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Steak Justice posted:

It shares one actor in Josh Hutcherson and apparently according to IMDB its the same character. Although he's kind of getting out of his "child actor" mold.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
This cartoon came up when I was getting some stuff for the Policomics thread.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There's a new commercial for those sleazy bullshit commerative coins and they've hit a new low--the 9/11 and combination "we killed osama bin laden" coin that also comes with a pile of poo poo that makes the manual to a Call of Duty game look like a David McCollough book.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

I thought I hated the Lexus theme song commercials over the holidays. Then the snowboarding truck commercial came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95bpVJJlI6s

I just... I mean... Why? What is the point? And they air it twice during every ESPN commercial break, and that WOO-HOO-HA-HOO :psyduck:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toffile posted:

This cartoon came up when I was getting some stuff for the Policomics thread.

I saw a new commercial for this and it was pretty weird as one of the "manly men" examples is a Moss from The IT Crowd lookalike.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Invenerable posted:

I thought I hated the Lexus theme song commercials over the holidays. Then the snowboarding truck commercial came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95bpVJJlI6s

I just... I mean... Why? What is the point? And they air it twice during every ESPN commercial break, and that WOO-HOO-HA-HOO :psyduck:

Nissan's been on a run the last year or two of basically taking all those truck commercials where they show the things like hauling huge loads, pulling gigantic-rear end rocks out of the road, etc. and turning the absurdity up to 11. They're fairly clever (I enjoy the disclaimers anyway) but I'm sure they get old in a hurry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvu4GYLBTuA they did one with a goddamn airplane landing on the bed.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
^^Fantasy. Trucks can't snowboard. Do not attempt.^^

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's a new commercial for those sleazy bullshit commerative coins and they've hit a new low--the 9/11 and combination "we killed osama bin laden" coin that also comes with a pile of poo poo that makes the manual to a Call of Duty game look like a David McCollough book.

It really is abominable how they market these things.

I have a commercial for the "Justice Coin" here but I don't think it's the exact same commercial we're thinking of here. Same concept, though.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

ElectricSheep posted:

^^Fantasy. Trucks can't snowboard. Do not attempt.^^

It really is abominable how they market these things.

I have a commercial for the "Justice Coin" here but I don't think it's the exact same commercial we're thinking of here. Same concept, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdvjGv0uIl4&feature=related

Christ these are just as offensive as the coin with the falling towers.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh come on, you're going to bring it up and not mention it's called the JUSTICE COIN?

For the low price of $19.95, you get:
- Gold Justice coin
- BONUS Silver Justice coin
- BONUS 2 acrylic capsules to keep them in
- BONUS 2 certificates of authenticity
- BONUS US Navy SEAL Creed

CALL NOW and you also get:
- Military Briefing Pack
- Gold Lapel Pin
Just pay $10 more in s&h!

I have no idea all of that stupid poo poo comes to $260. Most of it you can print off wikipedia or get on ebay for a couple of cents.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If its $260 value then when is the MSRP only $100?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I want someone to bring in a stack of all those crap coins to Pawn Stars and then flip out when Rick offers the guy like $20 in scrap value for the teeny tiny amount of gold in all of it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

raditts posted:

I don't know if they still do it, but there was a time in the 2000s where Pepsi started consolidating their fast food properties into single buildings as well as single commercials. I remember seeing quite a few KFC/Taco Bells and even a KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut once. I think there were a few KFC's combined with Long John Silver's too.
I think we've got... I think a KFC/Taco Bell, on the other side of town.

Also, were they responsible for the Dunkin'Donuts/Baskin Robbins? I've been to at least one of those.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SteveVizsla posted:

Oh come on, you're going to bring it up and not mention it's called the JUSTICE COIN?

For the low price of $19.95, you get:
- Gold Justice coin
- BONUS Silver Justice coin
- BONUS 2 acrylic capsules to keep them in
- BONUS 2 certificates of authenticity
- BONUS US Navy SEAL Creed

CALL NOW and you also get:
- Military Briefing Pack
- Gold Lapel Pin
Just pay $10 more in s&h!

I have no idea all of that stupid poo poo comes to $260. Most of it you can print off wikipedia or get on ebay for a couple of cents.

As scummy as these are at least they're not selling "legal tender*" coins/bills at "face value**."

*in the country of Liberia

**$20 in Liberian currency is actually $.273 in USD

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw this last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntDYjS0Y3w

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw this last night:

I have to admit I chuckled at the greyhound at the end.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw this last night:

This ad confuses the hell out of me, like there's nothing in there about a car until the very end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tardcore posted:

This ad confuses the hell out of me, like there's nothing in there about a car until the very end.

Gonna go way out on a limb here and say that's why the ad is labelled as a teaser.

Hell it's not even a teaser for the car itself, it's a teaser for the ad that's going to sell the car.

Wheels within wheels oh god my head :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DJExile posted:

Gonna go way out on a limb here and say that's why the ad is labelled as a teaser.

Hell it's not even a teaser for the car itself, it's a teaser for the ad that's going to sell the car.

Wheels within wheels oh god my head :psyduck:

I know it's very, strange. I saw it on live TV so I initially didn't get the luxury of seeing the title itself.

It took me about 20 seconds to even catch on that the tune was the Imperial March. By that time I was annoyed enough by a rehash of a late 90's fad of dogs barking christmas songs, so it just seemed to go on, and on, and on at that point.

Then VW logo out of nowhere. :psyduck:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Come on, the AT-AT Greyhound totally made it worth it.
I mean, no way is it going to make me buy a VW (let me guess, they're "bringing back" the loving Beetle again), but I thought it was a great commercial.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Local commercials are the best commercials.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3pZVbgLAiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQlKvDAuZQw

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

raditts posted:

Local commercials are the best commercials.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3pZVbgLAiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQlKvDAuZQw

"Vote for your favorite commercial at fredericksauto.com"

I'm gonna go vote for the old spice commercial with the fast-talkin' guy, brb.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I don't know if they still do it, but there was a time in the 2000s where Pepsi started consolidating their fast food properties into single buildings as well as single commercials. I remember seeing quite a few KFC/Taco Bells and even a KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut once. I think there were a few KFC's combined with Long John Silver's too.

Taco Bell/KFCs seem to be popular in the malls here in Canada. Same with Orange Julius/Dairy Queen.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

:eng101: Italian greyhound, not a greyhound. Greyhounds are way bigger than any of those other dogs. 13" tall, compared to 30" greyhound.

I thought the commercial was awesome, because it has a vizsla in it, until I discovered VW/Lucas Films stole the Italian greyhound idea. Watching it, I thought the dog was Bones Mello, the original At-At dog, who's really popular on the internet.

Boo on stealing ideas, especially when the original put so much time and effort into making an awesome thing happen.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
The talk of Red Tails reminded me that there's a new movie commercial voice-over guy whose been making the rounds lately. He tries to sound deep and dramatic, but it just sounds like someone with a plugged nose from a bad cold.

Red Tails = Ren Dails
Devil = Dehnvil

It's really irritating to listen to.

Mokinokaro posted:

Taco Bell/KFCs seem to be popular in the malls here in Canada. Same with Orange Julius/Dairy Queen.

Ha. Yeah, I was just going to say, up here in Canadaland we have lots of those weird Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Pizza combo places around.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey, do you guys remember Family Guy?

Do you guys remember that one joke about "Coo Huip" that wasn't all that great to begin with?

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaack...

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey, do you guys remember Family Guy?

Do you guys remember that one joke about "Coo Huip" that wasn't all that great to begin with?

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaack...

I take it you are also watching The Colbert Report? I was about to post this myself. It's still not as bad as the TBS "Mom... mom... mom... ma... ma..." one at least. I don't know how anyone could find that funny, especially repeated a hundred times a day.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GI_Clutch posted:

I take it you are also watching The Colbert Report? I was about to post this myself. It's still not as bad as the TBS "Mom... mom... mom... ma... ma..." one at least. I don't know how anyone could find that funny, especially repeated a hundred times a day.

I don't particularly think it's funny, but with a two-year-old I hear it all the time already so it doesn't affect me that much.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I thought it was alright at first, but then TBS played that commercial at least 6 times during their nightly 2 hour family guy block and holy poo poo does it wear off quick.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Jeezus, Microsoft, it's bad enough that you and Sony are trying to keep up this lovely practice of advertising a multi-platform game without actually acknowledging that it's on the competing system, but you can't even do that right. You'd think all those millions you paid Square for the exclusive Final Fantasy XIII-2 commercial would have come with the stipulation that it should be all 360 footage, but nope, there are the PS3 buttons, right there in the lower-right corner.

I shouldn't care, but I spend a good portion of the day rejecting a lot of multi-platform videos for the site because we're just PlayStation-based. It happens a ton with promo stuff for multi-platform games (after all, most are started on the 360 and ported to the PS3), but it's exceptionally weird to see it in a first-party-branded commercial that's supposed to be selling footage of the game running on their own hardware.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Holy poo poo! They have another infomercial with Vince (of Shamwow fame(?)). Doing a commercial for "The Schticky". At one point he says something about "getting that pussy hair off". Ugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQjF5RPgbg

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SamBishop posted:

Jeezus, Microsoft, it's bad enough that you and Sony are trying to keep up this lovely practice of advertising a multi-platform game without actually acknowledging that it's on the competing system, but you can't even do that right. You'd think all those millions you paid Square for the exclusive Final Fantasy XIII-2 commercial would have come with the stipulation that it should be all 360 footage, but nope, there are the PS3 buttons, right there in the lower-right corner.

The trailer is one provided by Square-Enix. Same one that's in the demo for either platform.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hamster_style posted:

Holy poo poo! They have another infomercial with Vince (of Shamwow fame(?)). Doing a commercial for "The Schticky". At one point he says something about "getting that pussy hair off". Ugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQjF5RPgbg

You're a page late, buddy.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
poo poo, sorry. I'm a moron.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

The trailer is one provided by Square-Enix. Same one that's in the demo for either platform.

Yet the JP commercials were free of any PS3 button callouts (and the solo 360 branding wrapper). It just smacks of laziness, I guess, but feels like weird come-uppance for trying to dupe the buying public. Sony is just as guilty; it's a really lovely practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I wish Chappelle's Show was still around to mock these Edward Jones commercials that play during NHL games. Just 30 seconds of entitled white people problems.