Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Linode is pretty great but maybe stay away from the Fremont DC until they find a new provider. We had 2-3 outages last year because of how bad the DC was at keeping the power up.

Aside from that, go with Linode, you'll get the best bang for your buck with them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fungi^2
Oct 2, 2004

people say i'm a fun guy
Worked for days on an essay and as soon as I put it up, BAM, my Hytek site went down. Sent a critical email 6 hours ago and still haven't heard anything.

As you might expect, I'm looking for a new host with support guarantees. My top two right now are hostdime and bounceweb. Any experience reports?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Trinitrotoluene posted:

Wondering if I could get some advice on a decent web host. I'm currently on the Dreamhost shared service, which to be honest is good value for money but the site I am developing has outgrown it. What I'm after:

-Budget between $30-$40 dollars a month
-VPS or Dedicated (I don't want to go on to shared hosting)
-Bandwidth and diskspace are not much of an issue, the primary thing I want is speed
-Would need to get MYSQL and PHP hosting (assuming apache) on there.
-A host that is established (goon run or not I don't care)

Any suggestions welcome!
Managed for you:
Wiredtree
Knownhost
Medialayer (obscenely fast shared)
Servint

You're on your own:
Linode

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

every posted:

How long does it typically take for a registrar to send me that authorization thing? How long does the transfer take once its begun? I'm assuming my nameservers and stuff will still be set up the same way when the transfer has begun, so I'll need to update those away from GoDaddy, correct?

I generally advise people to get the name servers pointed before beginning the transfer, because it will sometimes not be an option during the transfer, which can take a few days.

crip drinkn milk
Jan 31, 2001

IS DOG VEGABLE?
I'm looking for someone to host a mailing list with about 40 people on it. I had mailman hosting with someone previously but they don't want to offer it any more. I'm not 100% stuck on mailman, it just has the options I need and I'm familiar with it, happy to use whatever works thourhg.

This isn't really the main subject here so you can contact me via email if you like : sambo.c at google's mail.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

fungi^2 posted:

Worked for days on an essay and as soon as I put it up, BAM, my Hytek site went down. Sent a critical email 6 hours ago and still haven't heard anything.

As you might expect, I'm looking for a new host with support guarantees. My top two right now are hostdime and bounceweb. Any experience reports?
Check reviews before you buy. Might be a little trickier with HostDime because you'll be relying on a 3rd party site to provide you with reviews, unless of course people here can speak to their reputation. As for BounceWeb, since you clearly trust the Goon community, check their thread for reviews:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3176453

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
As a personal thing if I see "UNLIMITED SPACE AND BANDWIDTH" I leave, immediately, no questions asked

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mooky posted:

Check reviews before you buy. Might be a little trickier with HostDime because you'll be relying on a 3rd party site to provide you with reviews, unless of course people here can speak to their reputation. As for BounceWeb, since you clearly trust the Goon community, check their thread for reviews:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3176453

I had various issues with them while I used them as well.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I'm getting ready to sign up with Linode. I see there's a referral thingy here. Anyone have a referral code? Might as well use one, right?

Also if anyone has any Linode discounts or anything, now would be a great time to tell me

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

I'm getting ready to sign up with Linode. I see there's a referral thingy here. Anyone have a referral code? Might as well use one, right?

Also if anyone has any Linode discounts or anything, now would be a great time to tell me

Here's mine

As far as discounts go, I've never seen Linode do them. They will from time to time (at least 2-3 times in the last year for me) Upgrade their hardware and give you free, permanent increases in RAM/disk/bandwidth which makes the lack of discounts seem worth it.

Be sure to take a look at the Linode Library, which has some prtty quick and short tutorials for setting up popular software packages and VPS maintenance tips that help if it's your first time.

Also, the first thing you should do is login and lock down SSH, since they set up the root account only with SSH password logins by default

text editor fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 14, 2012

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

text editor posted:

Here's mine

As far as discounts go, I've never seen Linode do them. They will from time to time (at least 2-3 times in the last year for me) Upgrade their hardware and give you free, permanent increases in RAM/disk/bandwidth which makes the lack of discounts seem worth it.

Be sure to take a look at the Linode Library, which has some prtty quick and short tutorials for setting up popular software packages and VPS maintenance tips that help if it's your first time.

Also, the first thing you should do is login and lock down SSH, since they set up the root account only with SSH password logins by default

Signed up with your referral code. Enjoy the :10bux: or whatever. I'll take a look at the tutorials, thanks. This isn't my first rodeo, I just got tired of using other hosts that would just disappear/go into maintenance without telling me. Thanks again!

mooky
Jan 14, 2012
Another great VPS provider is https://serveraxis.com.

They sell 3 types of VPS Servers:

SSD Based (typical SSD performance and size)
High Capacity HDD Based (larger with fewer iops)
Classic HDD Based (Smaller but more iops

Their pricing is very reasonable, support is excellent and the service quality is outstanding. I've used them for years and so has my friend. They definitely deserve a mention in the OP. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer.

Edit: It's Xen based hosting

mooky fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 14, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Linode's pretty loving awesome. If your site contains stuff you care about, you ought to consider enabling their backup feature. It's only $5 a month, and it'll give you a little peace of mind.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 17, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

fungi^2 posted:

Stay away from Bounceweb. Read their thread for a list of reasons why.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fungi^2 posted:

What do you need, a ticket answered within 1 hour, or the site back up in 1 hour if the server it's on goes kaput?

There's about a $300/month difference in price there.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
HD would win hands down, bounceweb doesn't even come close..

kind of an apples/oranges comparison though

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Well, looks like I was dumb to stick with Made2Own when Brutal.net bought them. My sites with them have been down for almost two weeks now, and my last email from them was 9 days ago when they claimed they were under a DDoS attack. Emails since have fallen on deaf ears.

So, I'm pretty much done with these guys. All I have is a website dedicated to my music and brewing, so nothing terribly mission critical other than "don't go down for weeks/months without so much as a refund." Recommendations for something barebones, cheap and reliable are welcome. In the meantime, don't do business with Brutal.net.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Ubik posted:

Well, looks like I was dumb to stick with Made2Own when Brutal.net bought them. My sites with them have been down for almost two weeks now, and my last email from them was 9 days ago when they claimed they were under a DDoS attack. Emails since have fallen on deaf ears.

So, I'm pretty much done with these guys. All I have is a website dedicated to my music and brewing, so nothing terribly mission critical other than "don't go down for weeks/months without so much as a refund." Recommendations for something barebones, cheap and reliable are welcome. In the meantime, don't do business with Brutal.net.

Honestly, if you want cheap and reliable, go with Dreamhost. They're always running insane deals like a year's hosting for $10 or something. I was with them for 4 or 5 years before moving, and I hardly ever had any downtime. Support was always super fast to respond, too (I had a response for every ticket I submitted about 30-45 minutes after submitting it).

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Fangs404 posted:

Honestly, if you want cheap and reliable, go with Dreamhost. They're always running insane deals like a year's hosting for $10 or something. I was with them for 4 or 5 years before moving, and I hardly ever had any downtime. Support was always super fast to respond, too (I had a response for every ticket I submitted about 30-45 minutes after submitting it).

Any host that offers yearly hosting for $10 will just potentially put Ubik in the same position. You really do get what you pay for. Sometimes it doesn't bite you, sometimes it does.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Dreamhost is good. I don't understand why they jumped on the unlimited bandwagon, but they're still good. Even for dumb poo poo like "my jabber server isn't working" at like 2am on a Sunday I can still get someone in live support to go and fix it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm sure all hosts are susceptible but the biggest issues I've had with shared hosts are being on a box that's getting DDoS attacks, or the shared mail server is getting blacklisted for spam.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

dvgrhl posted:

Any host that offers yearly hosting for $10 will just potentially put Ubik in the same position. You really do get what you pay for. Sometimes it doesn't bite you, sometimes it does.

It's dreamhost, as long as your expectations aren't servint-level it's fine

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

dvgrhl posted:

I'd agree with this for every host except Dreamhost. They've had their issues in the past, but in general, they're reliable. They've been around long enough to know how this whole shared hosting thing works. Ubik said he doesn't have anything mission-critical. It sounds like he's mainly using it for a file dump or small Wordpress blog, and DH is great for that.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

fungi^2 posted:

I'm pretty biased but I think we at HostDime are pretty awesome :) If you decide on us, let me know and I'd be glad to toss you a coupon for whatever level of service you choose.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Dreamhost is a huge piece of poo poo.

I am running Omnistar Drive as a private file sharing service for two websites. It has a Java uploader that splits files of any size into chunks, then pieces they back together. So you can get around any server upload file size limits. At any given time there is one, maybe two people using it.

By default (and I had no reason to change it), the system uploads and stores all files into the /cache/ directory. Over the course of two years this folder has grown to several gigs in size.

Today I wake up and the cache folder on the two separate websites has been completely cleared.

I can only assume a system admin had a red flag pop up on the account due to the large amount of disk use (but well within the "unlimited" amount) then noticed the size was due to cache folders. 99.9999% of the time it is ok to clear out cache folders as they just rebuild, however the dumb poo poo didn't realize it was not acting as a regular cache folder.

How else do you explain 2 accounts having cache folders cleared at the exact same time? Everything on the system works fine, except every single file is gone.

I'm still waiting to hear back from support.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'm willing to bet that using their service in that manner is against the TOS, so you won't really have a leg to stand on. I could be wrong though.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

eightysixed posted:

I'm willing to bet that using their service in that manner is against the TOS, so you won't really have a leg to stand on. I could be wrong though.

No it's not, unless their sales people lie. Before I started the account I sent a link to Omnistar Drive to the salesperson, along with estimates on disk space usage. They kept saying "yes, it is unlimited".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

eightysixed posted:

Dreamhost web hosting accounts are for hosting websites, not personal file storage.

Dreamhost AUP posted:

Personal Backups

With the exception of DreamHost Dedicated Server products, the customer agrees to make use of DreamHost Web Hosting servers primarily for the purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions. Data uploaded must be primarily for this purpose. DreamHost Web Hosting servers are not intended as a data backup or archiving service.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

VerySolidSnake posted:

No it's not, unless their sales people lie. Before I started the account I sent a link to Omnistar Drive to the salesperson, along with estimates on disk space usage. They kept saying "yes, it is unlimited".

Then they weren't understanding what OmniStar was. See the post above. You really can't be mad at them. At least you got away with it for as long as you did :v:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

VerySolidSnake posted:

I'd guess there's a fair chance they were simply ignorant, not trying to trick you.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Not to mention that the odds of his "private file sharing service" almost certainly distributed copyright protected files. Not only is it against their TOS, it's also illegal. Just trying to convey that you shouldn't be mad at Dreamhost.

Dreamhost is a mediocre webhost at best anyways. Shared hosting is definitely not the place to run a :filez: site though.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

eightysixed posted:

Then they weren't understanding what OmniStar was. See the post above. You really can't be mad at them. At least you got away with it for as long as you did :v:

I can't get mad at them for first telling me it was ok, then deleting the files without any notice? You guys are loving insane.

eightysixed posted:

Not to mention that the odds of his "private file sharing service" almost certainly distributed copyright protected files. Not only is it against their TOS, it's also illegal. Just trying to convey that you shouldn't be mad at Dreamhost.

It was schematics and diagrams of parts for a tooling company.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

VerySolidSnake posted:

It was schematics and diagrams of parts for a tooling company.

I played the odds :buddy:

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

eightysixed posted:

I played the odds :buddy:

Copyrighted? Yes. Illegal? No.

A worthy gamble.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

VerySolidSnake posted:

I can't get mad at them for first telling me it was ok, then deleting the files without any notice? You guys are loving insane.

You're not the first person to get this treatment from DH. I actually got into the biz after getting fed up with DH's poo poo. They have a long history of making 'problem' customers go away.

No host should nuke content without at least a warning stating that you've got x-time to clean up your poo poo. Hopefully they can restore the content from backups for you, but they're dreamhost and they probably don't give a poo poo.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

optikalus posted:

You're not the first person to get this treatment from DH. I actually got into the biz after getting fed up with DH's poo poo. They have a long history of making 'problem' customers go away.

No host should nuke content without at least a warning stating that you've got x-time to clean up your poo poo. Hopefully they can restore the content from backups for you, but they're dreamhost and they probably don't give a poo poo.

I'm with you on this one. Even if I find someone hosting Office_2010_Pro_wcrack.rar, I don't delete the content. I issue a warning and give a time frame for them to remove the content before action is taken. You have to treat people and their property with respect, deleting things without notice is ridiculous regardless of the circumstances.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
It sounds like either a) his script went crazy and deleted the cache folder or b) his script went crazy and created a massive folder of illegal crap that Dreamhost found and discarded. Either way he's in the wrong. They're not obligated to let you back up your 10000GB :filez: folder before deleting it, especially for $9/month.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Ubik posted:

This sure makes me feel better about my company. I thought our service was sub-par, but the longest downtime we've had since I started was a server being down for 4 days because it was seized by the FBI, and we spent all 4 days in a frenzy.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

NOTinuyasha posted:

They're not obligated to let you back up your 10000GB :filez: folder before deleting it, especially for $9/month.

I'm paying for their service, I deserve the same respect optikalus described. If it was a problem, they could give me a notice.

Also, what are the chances of a runaway script happening the same time on two different websites? Some of you guys are so :fap: for Dreamhost you refuse to ever hate them, for any reason.

And for the record, the account I had this under has been active since February 2005 at Dreamhost. A couple of years ago I moved all my sites off their servers after constant downtime but kept using them for domains. I then came back to them for these sites since their salespeople said they would accommodate the setup I described. If I didn't specifically describe my setup I would not be furious right now, but I did. I've been a paying customer for 7 years, and they still did this.

They have no backups of any of the files, and confirmed there was no security breach on my server. The only response I got was "we're sorry".

Still my fault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

Still my fault?

You were in violation of the terms of service which are posted plain as day on their site.

I've sped down the same stretch of highway for the last 7 years on my commute to work, if I get busted for going 8 mph over tomorrow I won't complain.