Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
The Yogscast's youtube channel has gone dark for a day to protest SOPA, too. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

babies havin rabies posted:

As in... You only need to place every other ladder to make a climbable surface? Because I thought that looked horrible.

I think that's as in the ladder hitbox extends up a block so you can climb out of a trapdoored hole.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I think that's as in the ladder hitbox extends up a block so you can climb out of a trapdoored hole.

That's not how it used to be, it used to have a hitbox, period, and you could stand on top of its 1 block high hitbox to get out.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Install Gentoo posted:

That's not how it used to be, it used to have a hitbox, period, and you could stand on top of its 1 block high hitbox to get out.

I think that's as in the ladder has a hitbox so you can stand on the top and climb out of a trapdoored hole.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Do pumpkins only grow on a certain side of the vine? Also, I thought you needed water directly next to tilled dirt to make it fertile but either that's not true or I'm doing something weird here.

There really need to be grass seeds or some way to get grass blocks besides having it spread, I was trying to make an indoor garden on the third floor of my house and had to make a staircase out of dirt for the grass to spread and wait almost 2 days worth of playing for it to spread all the way up.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Water makes dirt fertile within (I believe) 4 squares of the water. I have 2 rows of melons and 2 rows of pumpkins around a single row of water and it works fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wrist Watch posted:

Do pumpkins only grow on a certain side of the vine? Also, I thought you needed water directly next to tilled dirt to make it fertile but either that's not true or I'm doing something weird here.

There really need to be grass seeds or some way to get grass blocks besides having it spread, I was trying to make an indoor garden on the third floor of my house and had to make a staircase out of dirt for the grass to spread and wait almost 2 days worth of playing for it to spread all the way up.

Water works up to 4 blocks away to hydrate farmland. Although not necessary to grow, hydrating will make things grow faster. Also once a pumpkin or melon has spawned from a vine, all vines next to it will "connect" to it, preventing them from spawning additional pumpkins or melons until you remove the melon or pumpkin.

So, the best way to make a pumpkin or melon farm is like this, with a line of water down the middle and something to walk on on top:

It's a picture from when you needed tilled soil for the pumpkins to grow on,which they don't need now of course, so the blocks in-between the stems can just be dirt now.

If you get a shovel with Silk Touch, you can collect Grass blocks that you can then place wherever you want and have them spread.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

Simple solution: Have bonemeal convert dirt blocks into grass blocks.

Hire me as your ideas man, Mojang.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jamesman posted:

Hire me as your ideas man, Mojang.

No kidding; I wish to christ they had a dedicated sound designer. Don't they just farm that out to C418 or whatever his name is?

EDIT: vvv I thought Junkboy was doing art on Scrolls?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 18, 2012

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

They hired(?) him to do the music for the game and then didn't put in over half the tracks until 1.0 and the extra records.

It's like how they hired Junkboy to do graphics and yet Notch still draws everything.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Didn't they have another artist at one point who started adding decent looking models, then they fired him for some unknown reason and removed all his work from the game?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They had one way, way back when it was jut Notch on the game. The models were just that, models. They had no animations or way of customization for them. It was actually the artist who left Minecraft if I remember correctly. Here's the video of one of the models in game

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

How hard could it be to get simple vertex animated models into the game? Nothing fancy, something like they had in Quake.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No kidding; I wish to christ they had a dedicated sound designer. Don't they just farm that out to C418 or whatever his name is?

The opening chest sound is the worst sound imaginable. I don't know how the hell he gets "chest opening" out of whatever that sound is. It's like he googled "chest.wav" and used the first result he found without ever listening to it. Or he couldn't find a chest sound so he fired up windows sound recorder at the lowest quality setting and tried to create the sound effect with his mouth like Michael Winslow. And I think it single-handedly has given me dozens of migraines. Especially when you play a team PVP version of the game where people are constantly going through a dozen chests every time they die to restock their inventory.

And they really need to add a sound effect for sword swinging, and dozens of other things like that. They should stop adding features that barely make the game better and actually polish the game. Do things like adding death animations to players. The actual combat in the game is really ungratifying because of how glitchy it is.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Borden posted:

How hard could it be to get simple vertex animated models into the game? Nothing fancy, something like they had in Quake.

As with most things, that depends on code quality. I've heard that Notch basically used deprecated, entry-level style OpenGL (immediate mode, basically), so maybe its harder than one would think?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So do melons not need tilled dirt to grow now?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

So do melons not need tilled dirt to grow now?

Correct. The only things that required tilled soil are wheat, melon vines and pumpkin vines. The melons and pumpkins will grow on just plain old dirt/grass.

Also you can't trample tilled soil just by walking on it anymore, though jumping on it will trample it instantly. :engleft:

timewarp
Jan 5, 2011

Borden posted:

Looks like Notch is way ahead of you:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/273755794/whoa-five-days-since-my-last-blog-post-anyway

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Install Gentoo posted:

Water works up to 4 blocks away to hydrate farmland. Although not necessary to grow, hydrating will make things grow faster.

I believe hydration is necessary for wheat to grow.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Schwarzwald posted:

I believe hydration is necessary for wheat to grow.

Yeah, tilled ground un-tills itself if it's not watered for a bit. That means the wheat pops off.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

timewarp posted:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/273755794/whoa-five-days-since-my-last-blog-post-anyway

You mean ahead, but backwards?

Fake Edit: I love the "Obviously" comment.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Boat posted:

Also you can't trample tilled soil just by walking on it anymore, though jumping on it will trample it instantly. :engleft:

I noticed this too, but I wasn't sure if walking through wheat fields would still cause you to kick up the seeds and wheat, so I've still been sneaking through my farm.

So, I need help with my redstone circut for a piston door. I'm trying to set it up so that it can be opened by buttons on each side of the door. I've gotten the first side done.

This very skillfully done blueprint shows the top view of a two-blocks-deep setup. Push the button, and it powers the redstone wire/repeater. The torch is attached to the side of the block with the last redstone wire, and sends power to both pistons, keeping them extended, but the torch depowers when the button is pressed.

Now, the walls on the left and right are non-negotiable, so I'm working in a width of 1-2 blocks, and I want to get the second button on the outside of the wall on the left.

Help. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

timewarp posted:

Complex models? But what about INDIE CHARM?

EDIT: Oh bah, sorry, didn't see the date on Notch's post there.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 18, 2012

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Allen Wren posted:

Complex models? But what about INDIE CHARM?

Maybe that's why he hasn't revisited it since 2009.

I mean, there's something to be said for remaining stylistically consistent, but something like a fully-skinned version of the frog-girl model linked earlier would be good.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Well, it has been two years, so Notch has obviously changed his mind.

Right now, I'd almost happily settle for support of higher resolutions of texture packs in the visual department.
Or perhaps let me change skins without having to upload it to Minecraft.net. If I can change texture packs in game, let me change skins the same way, jeez.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You can change a file named char.png inside the jar and it will reskin your char, but only you can see it IIRC.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Jamesman posted:

I noticed this too, but I wasn't sure if walking through wheat fields would still cause you to kick up the seeds and wheat, so I've still been sneaking through my farm.

So, I need help with my redstone circut for a piston door. I'm trying to set it up so that it can be opened by buttons on each side of the door. I've gotten the first side done.

This very skillfully done blueprint shows the top view of a two-blocks-deep setup. Push the button, and it powers the redstone wire/repeater. The torch is attached to the side of the block with the last redstone wire, and sends power to both pistons, keeping them extended, but the torch depowers when the button is pressed.

Now, the walls on the left and right are non-negotiable, so I'm working in a width of 1-2 blocks, and I want to get the second button on the outside of the wall on the left.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

HardDisk posted:

You can change a file named char.png inside the jar and it will reskin your char, but only you can see it IIRC.
It'll also make anyone/anything using the default skin look like you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

HardDisk posted:

When the website isn't blacked out, you can upload a .png under your profile and it changes your skin, and others can see it just fine, as far as I'm aware.

Schweinhund posted:

Sticks out too far. That's 3 blocks wide.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Jamesman posted:

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking, but if I do: It won't work because the blocks that the buttons directly power are next to the extended pistons, thus powering them while the torch is off. If you set the repeater to four ticks, you will get a half second of it opening once the button turns off, but I take it that's not what you want. In general, you need the button blocks situated so that they aren't adjacent to the pistons.

edit: You can get one button to work if you place it at the bottom of the wall that is not adjacent to the pistons by running one piece of redstone out from underneath that block, but this technically violates what you want and doesn't help you at all with the other side.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Sticks out too far. That's 3 blocks wide.

It's the same size as your diagram.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I couldn't make the thing less than three deep/wide placing the buttons where you said.

beaten oh well.

Jamesman posted:

When the website isn't blacked out, you can upload a .png under your profile and it changes your skin, and others can see it just fine, as far as I'm aware.

The poster said that he doesn't want to upload the skin to Minecraft.net.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 18, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

It's the same size as your diagram.

But you turned it all sideways. The walls on the left and right HAVE to stay in place, except for one small gap that makes up the doorway. Turning it sideways makes the circuit fit, but it doesn't function for my needs.

Willie Trombone posted:

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking

Basically, the diagram shows a working circuit for a button opening a piston door on one side of the door. I'm wondering how I can extend that circuit, within the restrictions, to add another button to open the door from the other side as well.

The restrictions being I only have 1-2 blocks of width to work in.

HardDisk posted:

The poster said that he doesn't want to upload the skin to Minecraft.net.

I missed that. :(

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Oh, if you can place the buttons back along the wall like the bottom green block in Schweinhund's picture indicates, then you can just do that on both sides with a piece of redstone below each and then place a conducting block edge-diagonally down behind the bottom piston, a redstone torch on top of that block, and then a conducting block on top of that torch. That would be for a 1-wide space, for the two-wide space you show, just add an extra piece of redstone to either side to connect it to the bottom conducting block.

Otherwise, if the buttons have to be at that front edge, it won't work as you seem to want.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Willie Trombone posted:

Oh, if you can place the buttons back along the wall like the bottom green block in Schweinhund's picture indicates, then you can just do that on both sides with a piece of redstone below each and then place a conducting block edge-diagonally down behind the bottom piston, a redstone torch on top of that block, and then a conducting block on top of that torch. That would be for a 1-wide space, for the two-wide space you show, just add an extra piece of redstone to either side to connect it to the bottom conducting block.

Otherwise, if the buttons have to be at that front edge, it won't work as you seem to want.

OK, that gets the button on the other side to work, but now I can't get a circuit to connect to the first button.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNZNP5sKBTQ

This is amazing. I made a Minecraft frag video myself, but this one blows mine out of the water.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Polka_Rapper posted:

This is amazing. I made a Minecraft frag video myself, but this one blows mine out of the water.

That's like the Minecraft version of Somethingawf's pvp video.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Polka_Rapper posted:

I'm so happy this is in 3d

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Jamesman posted:

OK, that gets the button on the other side to work, but now I can't get a circuit to connect to the first button.

What I was saying earlier was that the first button would have to be moved because it won't work as long as the block that the button is on is adjacent to either of the extended pistons.

Maybe a video will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA1UeIh1l_0

To make that work with a two-wide cavity in the wall, just build the repeaters back from the redstone under the buttons like in the video and add a piece of redstone to the end to connect them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

:drat: