Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Kenning posted:

Don't be stupid, we're trying to help people find something to cook that they want to eat.

It was just a goof, I'm all for helping this guy cook fish. But without region or what he has access to it's kind of a dumb question.

How do I cook meat? Well what kind of meat sir, what are you looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Valid. And there's lots of places where fish is VERY expensive. Here, only trout is cheap, and that's only if you catch it yourself. Fish is an indulgence.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008
I'm sure there have been a whole bunch of posts extolling the amazingness of slow cookers, but HOLY gently caress are they useful. Cheap, and worthwhile for a whole bunch of stuff. I just got one for Christmas and it's already becoming my go-to device for most meals.

I've got a vegetarian chili going for tomorrow, and I'm so psyched about it! Just throw a bunch of stuff into it on low and you don't have to worry about cooking much of anything the next day.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

indoflaven posted:

But without region or what he has access to it's kind of a dumb question.

The reason for that is because I really know nothing. The types of fish I consume back home in Indonesia (Short mackerel, white pomfret and goldfish, if Google Translate is correct) isn't available in Melbourne. Or at least not in the usual place for buying fish. I have no idea what to do with the available kinds of fish and I'm afraid of wasting a fish.

I'll try to find more so I can ask something more specific. I'm sorry.

I do have something a bit more specific, though. I like broccoli but I don't know what to do with them besides soups or stir fry them alongside carrots with salt and oyster sauce. Any ideas?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

toanoradian posted:

I do have something a bit more specific, though. I like broccoli but I don't know what to do with them besides soups or stir fry them alongside carrots with salt and oyster sauce. Any ideas?

This may fall into stir-fry, but Broccoli Beef is this only way I have enjoyed broccoli.

quote:

Ingredients

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 pound boneless round steak, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups chopped fresh broccoli

Directions

In a small bowl, combine flour, broth, sugar, and soy sauce. Stir until sugar and flour are dissolved.
In a large skillet or wok over high heat, cook and stir beef 2 to 4 minutes, or until browned. Stir in broth mixture, ginger, garlic, and broccoli. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have a broccoli recipe that uses raw broccoli with a sweet balsamic-base dressing, finely-cut red onions and toasted flaked almonds. I wasn't sure about it when a friend first served it, but it is surprisingly amazingly good. We took it to a party recently and while people were initially trepidatious the whole large bowl full got devoured.

Simply roasted broccoli tossed in a bit of oil first is good too, either on its own or with a yoghurt garlic dressing, or a dressing made up of pulverized toasted flaked almonds, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, S&P.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
Broccoli:

Get some.
Steam till a fork will penetrate easily but it still has integrity. (10-12 minutes)
Put in bowl.
Toss in a couple pats of butter and some coarse salt.
Lid it.
Shake.
Eat.

I love broccoli. Middle of the night when I'm craving chips, if broccoli is in the house I'll eat it this way.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

toanoradian posted:

I've found that broccoli is lovely with garlic, cumin, sesame oil, red chile flakes, a hint of turmeric, and salt, all tossed together, and baked at 180C (350F) for about 10 minutes (then toss and stir), rotate the pans, and another 10 minutes. They get a whole different flavour when they're cooked in the dry heat of the oven.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

brick cow posted:

Broccoli:

Get some.
Steam till a fork will penetrate easily but it still has integrity. (10-12 minutes)
Put in bowl.
Toss in a couple pats of butter and some coarse salt.
Lid it.
Shake.
Eat.

I love broccoli. Middle of the night when I'm craving chips, if broccoli is in the house I'll eat it this way.

Same here, but I cook it less than you do I think, I like it to keep some texture. Brocoli was always something I kind of hated until I found out it's just amazingly delicious steamed "al dente". Butter and salt are not even necessary, but make it go from "wow, this is great" to pure indulgence. It's also so colorful and beautiful to look at, it really makes you want to eat it all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
12 minutes is a hell of a long time to steam broccoli. I do it for 5, and that's just because some family members like it more cooked than I do.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

toanoradian posted:

The reason for that is because I really know nothing. The types of fish I consume back home in Indonesia (Short mackerel, white pomfret and goldfish, if Google Translate is correct) isn't available in Melbourne. Or at least not in the usual place for buying fish. I have no idea what to do with the available kinds of fish and I'm afraid of wasting a fish.

I'll try to find more so I can ask something more specific. I'm sorry.

Any good fishmonger will be able to tell you what sort of fish to use in a dish. Tell them how you want to cook the fish, what sort of dishes you want to make and they will be able to tell you what fish to buy.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

12 minutes is a hell of a long time to steam broccoli. I do it for 5, and that's just because some family members like it more cooked than I do.

I've done it as long as 10 minutes and it's almost mush at that point.

Best topping is just a squirt of lemon juice. Mmmm.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
One day I tried roasted broccoli and haven't steamed it since. It's soooo good. Gets a little brown and crispy on the edges!

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
Roasted broccoli with mushrooms, garlic, onions and a bit of olive oil is fantastic.

I may have described inaccurately. 10-12 minutes is from when I turn on the heat. It isn't actually steaming that long. I like a fork to penetrate but it still is pretty solid.

e: Also, where in America are pork chops a cheap cut? I'd eat pork chops every day if they were even on par with chicken prices. Tell me! I will move there.

brick cow fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 20, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

brick cow posted:

Roasted broccoli with mushrooms, garlic, onions and a bit of olive oil is fantastic.

I may have described inaccurately. 10-12 minutes is from when I turn on the heat. It isn't actually steaming that long. I like a fork to penetrate but it still is pretty solid.

e: Also, where in America are pork chops a cheap cut? I'd eat pork chops every day if they were even on par with chicken prices. Tell me! I will move there.

Anywhere I've lived in Florida has had pork about on par with buying white meat chicken cuts here. Sometimes cheaper if its on sale.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

brick cow posted:

I'm in Quebec and we produce massive amounts of pork so it's usually the cheapest meat (as cheap or cheaper than chicken).

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
A lot of cuts are sold as "chops", but when I think chops I think that one that looks like a tomahawk with the bone handle.

It should be a rule not to sell not-chops as chops. They don't do it with lamb. Lamb chops are always lamb chops.

tldr;chops are something you can chop with

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

A lot of cuts are sold as "chops", but when I think chops I think that one that looks like a tomahawk with the bone handle.

It should be a rule not to sell not-chops as chops. They don't do it with lamb. Lamb chops are always lamb chops.

tldr;chops are something you can chop with

I think that, like all meat products in the US, there is a high demand for boneless items, and this extends to pork chops, hence calling some boneless cuts "chops" when they really aren't. Just a guess.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I love this thread.

Yesterday I made a delicious although inauthentic chili with red beans, chicken thigh (it was what I had), onion, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, ancho chili powder, a little bit of paprika, and cayenne. It turned out very well.

Making meals that will freeze well is great, I'm starting work soon so I have lots of nice lunches to take in.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

brick cow posted:

Place fresh or frozen broccoli on baking pan. Mince up 3-4 cloves of garlic. Drizzle olive oil over broccoli and add salt, pepper and the garlic. Grate fresh parmesan cheese over all of the broccoli. Place into 400 oven for 40 minutes. Halfway through, move broccoli about.

After 40 minutes, take out and squeeze lemon juice on top. This is the best broccoli.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Place fresh or frozen broccoli on baking pan. Mince up 3-4 cloves of garlic. Drizzle olive oil over broccoli and add salt, pepper and the garlic. Grate fresh parmesan cheese over all of the broccoli. Place into 400 oven for 40 minutes. Halfway through, move broccoli about.

After 40 minutes, take out and squeeze lemon juice on top. This is the best broccoli.

That sounds like something I do with asparagus. Broccoli seems to be a cheaper and just as delicious substitute, in my area, where asparagus is always overpriced.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Agreeable Employer posted:

That sounds like something I do with asparagus. Broccoli seems to be a cheaper and just as delicious substitute, in my area, where asparagus is always overpriced.

Yep and as I had mentioned, this works extremely well with frozen broccoli. I can get a huge bag of frozen broccoli for $2.50 here in NYC, where everything is extremely overpriced. This will give me at least 4 servings.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind eating the same thing every day for a week or two. I also just got a new crock pot. I'm wondering if there are any crock pot recipes for chicken that I can just make a couple times a week and reheat the leftovers? Something simple where I can throw a bunch of veggies in and maybe some spices and let it cook all day.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
2nd pork chop trip report. Slightly overcooked the chops, but they were still tender. Bone in makes a world of difference. Also, ~1 oz of jack daniels + juices for the meat + heavy cream + salt and pepper = good sauce for chops.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Krittick posted:

I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind eating the same thing every day for a week or two. I also just got a new crock pot. I'm wondering if there are any crock pot recipes for chicken that I can just make a couple times a week and reheat the leftovers? Something simple where I can throw a bunch of veggies in and maybe some spices and let it cook all day.

Chicken isn't the best thing to cook for 8+ hours, it'll fall apart too much and be kind of gross-mushy. If you're going to be cooking for the whole week anyhow, then you can make a braised chicken soup/stew on the weekend in 3-4 hours and then just eat that all week. It'll also freeze extremely well.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Chicken isn't the best thing to cook for 8+ hours, it'll fall apart too much and be kind of gross-mushy. If you're going to be cooking for the whole week anyhow, then you can make a braised chicken soup/stew on the weekend in 3-4 hours and then just eat that all week. It'll also freeze extremely well.
Also, older chicken will stew better and will be cheaper, if you can find it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Chicken thighs hold up in the crock pot better than breasts.

http://www.marthastewart.com/318209/slow-cooker-chili-chicken-tacos

I've made that many times and it is wonderful

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Ammanas posted:

Salsa chicken rises from the grave once again

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ammanas posted:

Chicken thighs hold up in the crock pot better than breasts.

1: 8 hours is still too long for thighs.

2: nooooo salsa chicken

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Double post

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Good suggestion with the soup. I may just do that. I'm also not opposed to thighs or even buying a whole chicken and cooking it for a less hours instead.

For beef types of stews I'm guessing just buying stew meet would be best? Using this to complement a 20/4 intermittent fasting diet while staying mostly low carb, so I'm somewhat flexible on the actual meat I use.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Krittick posted:

Good suggestion with the soup. I may just do that.
what soup are you referring to?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

MasterFugu posted:

what soup are you referring to?

Sorry, forgot to quote. I meant the braised chicken stew / soup. I have white wine and can make stock / broth if I use a whole chicken too. This actually sounds pretty tasty now.

Should go well with some brown rice I imagine.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I recently found a recipe that is so simple and fast it looks like a joke or a mistake, but it turned out AMAZING. Maybe not the cheapest thing in the whole world, but it comes together in less time than it takes to make the rice, which is a big deal when time is money and the alternative is ordering takeout. Here is how it's done:

Heat some neutral oil in a skillet and in it stir-fry the garam masala you bought for a pittance at the Indian grocery. How much depends on how spicy your masala is; they vary. I use a very heaping tablespoon. Cook until masala is highly fragrant, about a minute.

To the skillet, add one can coconut milk and one can diced tomatoes with green chiles. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are breaking down and mixture has thickened, maybe 10 minutes.

Add protein -- boneless skinless chicken, el cheapo frozen fish fillets from Costco, shrimp if you're ballin', or tofu. Cover and simmer until protein is cooked through. Salt to taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro unless you hate it.

Rice, cucumber-and-onion salad, dinner, done.

I think you could use skin-on bone-in chicken, which is much more delicious, provided you brown it first. Also you could do kind of a Goan thing with the thin-cut pork chops that make everyone angsty because they're so cheap but impossible to cook. Anyway, this fed two of us for a couple of days and was delicious all out of proportion to the cost and effort.

spite house fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 24, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
I know that canned refried beans are cheap, but you can make your own. I like black beans but I have pintos now:

Soak a cup of beans overnight or longer. A week is too long but anytime shorter is good. What you are trying to do is get the beans to think it is time to germinate so they start breaking down the indigestible sugars that make you fart.

Drain put in a pan and add more water to cover them. Boil them until they are soft. Drain the liquid, except reserve a bit.

Pour the beans and maybe a half a cup of the liquid into your big skillet and bring it up to boiling again. Then mash it to paste with your spatula or equivalent utensil. Mash and stir it while it is boiling until it starts to get thick. Don't worry if it is a bit soupy, it will mostly thicken up as it cools.
(do be careful, you are making a boiling hot goo that will stick like boiling jam if you spill it on yourself)

you can add spice or salt or cheese or anything else. Tastes better than most canned stuff. It will last in the fridge for a couple of days and when you are tired of burritos, you can use it for soup thickener.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

feelz good man posted:

Salsa chicken rises from the grave once again

I want to give the world an alternative to Salsa Chicken.

1. Poach some chicken. 2 thighs, 3 legs, whatever: bring some broth to a boil, add chicken pieces, turn it down to a simmer, poach til chicken is no longer pink. Then, shred into bite sized pieces. (Cut into 2" chunks then use a fork to pull apart).

2. In a cast iron pan, saute 1 chopped onion, garlic, and 1 or more serrano chiles til fragrant. Add 2 chopped Roma tomatoes and cook until about half-soft (you want some tomato chunks). Add shredded chicken.

3. Saute until most of the liquid is gone. Serve on soft corn tacos with some fresh white cheese, chopped cilantro, and limes.

There. The chicken doesn't get overcooked, you don't rely on some crappy jar of Pace, and the whole thing is done in less than an hour.

[edit] to add amounts but honestly you can add whatever amounts you want

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rule .303 posted:

Soak a cup of beans overnight or longer. A week is too long but anytime shorter is good. What you are trying to do is get the beans to think it is time to germinate so they start breaking down the indigestible sugars that make you fart.

I know this is half joking but seriously don't soak your beans more than a day, because they'll start fermenting.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I know this is half joking but seriously don't soak your beans more than a day, because they'll start fermenting.

What if I want to make homemade natto, huh, what then? What. Then. :colbert:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All I can say is "enjoy" because I can't even look at that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
You can drain them and let them sprout, I suppose. Doubt that would be a good flavor for refried beans.

My pintos right now are a tiny bit old and don't soak overnight so well, so I do have to soak them longer.

I don't like the recipes that say to boil the beans until the skins will crack when you blow on them. It is good for when you are in a hurry and need something quick, but I like to soak mine if I have a choice.