Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Xik posted:

Is it common for Japanese TV Shows to be plastered with text like GCCX does? I don't know why I'm only really noticing it now (after about 40 episodes watched), but the show seems put quite a lot of what is said in text on the screen.

Is this unique to GCCX or a common occurrence for Japanese TV? And why?
I've seen it on clips from other Japanese shows like that "Don't Laugh" thing and it's pretty common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

jyrque posted:

Maybe that's why. Words in Japanese language can be written differently depending on the meaning so it helps to both hear and read the kanji for a given word.

From what I've heard, this is indeed the reason. Tons of Japanese shows have subs. Without them, viewers might accidentally miss some puns! :ohdear:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
There aren't many puns that are really dependent upon seeing the words. The text is mostly to make things more visually interesting, and to distract people from how awful and boring 90% of the variety shows on television are.

\/\/\/ We're not talking about news programs

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 18, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

pnumoman posted:

Korean TV does lots of text on screen as well. And it's frankly more of a US aversion to reading, IMO. Don't know of another group of people that hate reading as much as the average American.

Yep, no text on our TV stations. :confused:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
The Umihara Kawase episode was cool but that game is crazily expensive to buy :sweatdrop:

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

xamphear posted:

This is a news channel.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

xamphear posted:

I was talking about entertainment shows, not news. I never see prime time programming in the States with nearly as much text onscreen as I do with Asian TV.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

pnumoman posted:

Korean TV does lots of text on screen as well. And it's frankly more of a US aversion to reading, IMO. Don't know of another group of people that hate reading as much as the average American.

This is a stupid generalization and you know it. European and South American TV dont do this either. I guess everyone hates reading except the Korean and Japanese.

The on screen text in variety and comedy shows makes no sense 90% of the time in Japanese tv. * Shot of Yamazaki stuggling with prop - Text says "Yamazaki cannot open the prop". How is that necessary or good? I think its just a style that caught on an has now become the norm/expected. The crazy amounts of text rarely add anything to the shows.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Quodio Stotes posted:

This is a stupid generalization and you know it. European and South American TV dont do this either. I guess everyone hates reading except the Korean and Japanese.

The on screen text in variety and comedy shows makes no sense 90% of the time in Japanese tv. * Shot of Yamazaki stuggling with prop - Text says "Yamazaki cannot open the prop". How is that necessary or good? I think its just a style that caught on an has now become the norm/expected. The crazy amounts of text rarely add anything to the shows.

Maybe it's a stupid generalization, but I have never encountered people other than Americans who react like such loving babies about subtitles.

"EW, I have to read while I watch tv/movies?" Never heard that in any other language than American. (No, not English, I won't insult the Brits like that.)

Yeah, it's a bit douchey, but I'm loving tired of it. So yeah, it might be a stupid generalization, but I don't care.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

pnumoman posted:

Maybe it's a stupid generalization, but I have never encountered people other than Americans who react like such loving babies about subtitles.

"EW, I have to read while I watch tv/movies?" Never heard that in any other language than American. (No, not English, I won't insult the Brits like that.)

Yeah, it's a bit douchey, but I'm loving tired of it. So yeah, it might be a stupid generalization, but I don't care.

It's stupid and your being childish. Maybe its the crowd you hang around? Also American isn't a language. Since Americans get spoonfed dubs against their own will maybe you should have some sympathy if your going to feel anything about the issue.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wow, this is an awesome derail. Stupid America vs. Stupid Japan, WHO WILL WIN

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

nthing the It's Very Common on Japanese tv shows thing. I mentioned how different it was for to a Japanese coworker who thought all that text (and GCCX is FAR from the most prolific) was perfectly natural. It's just what they do I guess.

pnumoman posted:

And it's frankly more of a US aversion to reading, IMO. Don't know of another group of people that hate reading as much as the average American.

hahaha did you really just unironically type that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ I'll be honest with you man, I grew up in a place where people hate reading because white people read, so that statement isn't too obtuse from my point of view.

Corridor posted:

Wow, this is an awesome derail. Stupid America vs. Stupid Japan, WHO WILL WIN
Yeeeaaaah, I was gonna come in all "blah blah blah dialects" and "blah blah blah examples of weird text popping up all over in screenshots of Japanese programming from the 80s" but really.

I will say the thing I find really interesting about Japanese TV is that they subtitle their dialects in interviews in a standard form, and that I've never heard them overdub folks who aren't speaking Japanese.

v Oh now you're just being a loving pedant.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 18, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

The White Dragon posted:

^ I'll be honest with you man, I grew up in a place where people hate reading because white people read, so that statement isn't too obtuse from my point of view.

Yeeeaaaah, I was gonna come in all "blah blah blah dialects" and "blah blah blah examples of weird text popping up all over in screenshots of Japanese programming from the 80s" but really.

I will say the thing I find really interesting about Japanese TV is that they subtitle their dialects in interviews in a standard form, and that I've never heard them overdub folks who aren't speaking Japanese.

The obtuseness here lies in the fact that white people aren't limited to America, for starters. Nor are large groups of people who have something against reading for whatever reason.

I have heard overdubbing on news programs and (for obvious reasons) live events, but not elsewhere, admittedly. Regardless, I've always found the random text a stylistic thing. Seems to fit the mood a lot of these shows go for. But I wouldn't know for sure.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Nickoten posted:

I just hope they respect the work other people have done and skip over episodes that have already been subbed. It'd be really stupid if they didn't, but I keep feeling like that's what they're going to do.

For the record if TV-Nihon wants to sub an episode SAGCCX already subbed, I have no problems with that. And I hope they don't have any problems with us subbing an episode they've already subbed too, should that ever happen. Nothing wrong with two different groups subbing the same thing, especially when the subbing styles are different. Then the viewers have more of a choice; if people prefer TV-Nihon's subs they can watch theirs, and vice versa.

But I agree that in the case of this show, it's best to avoid subbing something that's already been subbed when there are so many other episodes that need subbing, which is exactly the reason why we haven't had any overlap with TV-Nihon yet.

Xik posted:

Is it common for Japanese TV Shows to be plastered with text like GCCX does? I don't know why I'm only really noticing it now (after about 40 episodes watched), but the show seems put quite a lot of what is said in text on the screen.

Is this unique to GCCX or a common occurrence for Japanese TV? And why?

It's interesting that you bring this up because GCCX actually has very few subs compared to many other Japanese entertainment shows. But then again, it's not a variety show.

My best guess is this: Japanese variety shows often have many people on stage at a time (like a dozen) and are unscripted for the most part. Talking in a fast-paced manner and/or in a Kansai dialect is a common Japanese comedy style. So you have a lot of comedians fast-talking over each other. It's easy to miss the funnier lines, so maybe that's why they began subtitling them -- to bring attention to the more notable lines and jokes. Then they realized hey, it actually makes things funnier at times, especially when the text comes with emphasis. Eventually it ended up becoming an entertainment industry standard, so even slower-paced comedy shows like GCCX gets the sub treatment now.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
It's just an accepted trope. Sitcoms here have laugh tracks. Commercials will play a record skip noise right before a punch line. Same kinda thing.

..and Americans read, you racist bastard. Amazon Kindle, by 'Mericans for 'Mericans :911:

makere
Jan 14, 2012
I think the large amount of text on japanese shows is because they want to teach kanjies in television to those who would rather watch TV than read a book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

whip posted:

The Umihara Kawase episode was cool but that game is crazily expensive to buy :sweatdrop:

There is a PSP release out there that's a bit more affordable.

But yeah, the Super Famicom version is another crazy expensive game.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

There's also a release for Nintendo DS, it has both the Super Famicom and Playstation versions on it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EvilLemmy posted:

There's also a release for Nintendo DS, it has both the Super Famicom and Playstation versions on it.

But my quick research showed that the DS version of Umihara Kawase was going for more than the Super Famicom version. :psyduck:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

But my quick research showed that the DS version of Umihara Kawase was going for more than the Super Famicom version. :psyduck:

I also hear that the PSP versions physics are totally hosed so the DS one is the way to go.

Wait, looking that the comments the guy who before did everything in his power to push down the links to fansubs because of the harm they cause is now... posting fansubs in the comments!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 18, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

My best guess is this: Japanese variety shows often have many people on stage at a time (like a dozen) and are unscripted for the most part. Talking in a fast-paced manner and/or in a Kansai dialect is a common Japanese comedy style. So you have a lot of comedians fast-talking over each other. It's easy to miss the funnier lines, so maybe that's why they began subtitling them -- to bring attention to the more notable lines and jokes. Then they realized hey, it actually makes things funnier at times, especially when the text comes with emphasis. Eventually it ended up becoming an entertainment industry standard, so even slower-paced comedy shows like GCCX gets the sub treatment now.

This is exactly what I came to post. They either do it for dialect reasons or because there were 8 guys talking at once and one of them said something particularly hilarious. They'll put subs up for a variety of things but I usually find they fit within the context of the shows. On the Gaki no Tsukai batsu games they will often sub the snickering laughter that is sometimes nearly inaudible in order to let people know which guy laughed and that he's not getting butt slapped for a random reason.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

pnumoman posted:

Americans don't like subtitles because they have a whole entertainment industry who is concerned with their money. If you want to watch a movie, you have millions of options before you even have to get into the dub-vs-sub thing.

And guess what: other countries have the same thing. There are plenty of European countries where it is more common to dub something than it is to sub it. Be happy we don't have what Poland have: A Polish guy talking over the soundtrack explaining what everyone is saying. Just one Polish guy.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait, looking that the comments the guy who before did everything in his power to push down the links to fansubs because of the harm they cause is now... posting fansubs in the comments!

This is the same dude who thought a worthwhile news post was asking everyone to post pictures of their Skyrim character.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I think, now with the Kotaku exposure and TV-Nihon reference, y'all should be more pissed at that GamingCX site. After I posted that thing about them on the first page it looks like someone called them out but the admin justified it by saying they just don't edit out the credits at the end. The youtube description also references you guys in such a way that makes it look like you "work" for GamingCX.

So it looks like some admin there basically trolls this thread (and never posting letting us now who they are) looking for megaupload links and puts them up on youtube and takes all the credit. Hell, I'd be pissed, especially since some other website is now getting ad revenue off your work and the commenters have no clue.

Hell, it's still ridiculous that TV-Nihon got credit when only about 25% of the videos posted are by them, the rest are SA-Team! Perhaps you should stop using megaupload and instead set up an SA-Team youtube account to post your translations, hell you'd make partner in no-time given the amount of clicks the vids would get.

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 19, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Next Episode
Detective Jinguji Saburo Shinjuku Chuo Park murder
1/26/12

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

joek0 posted:

Next Episode
1/26/12

Sweet. I love it when they do mystery games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

got dat wmd posted:

Hell, it's still ridiculous that TV-Nihon got credit when only about 25% of the videos posted are by them, the rest are SA-Team! Perhaps you should stop using megaupload and instead set up an SA-Team youtube account to post your translations, hell you'd make partner in no-time given the amount of clicks the vids would get.

In our early days, I think maybe a bit after Tokemeki Memorial, Random Stranger set up a Youtube account for SAGCCX. It got pulled really quick by someone who wasnt even FujiTV, I wanna say blip.tv.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Or yea, go to his YT channel and just claim copyright. You can pretty much claim copyright for whatever and they'll yank it.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

got dat wmd posted:

hell you'd make partner in no-time given the amount of clicks the vids would get.

Nobody should be making ad revenue off of these except for Fuji TV or licensees. In this case I'd just let sleeping dogs lie, though. At the end of the day it's GamingCX who's doing something wrong, not SAGCCX.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

joek0 posted:

Next Episode
1/26/12

FYI, you can find this in the Jake Hunter game(s) for DS.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

rdbbb posted:

FYI, you can find this in the Jake Hunter game(s) for DS.

Care to clarify a little? I'm not sure exactly what you're saying we can find and where.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

In SA GCCX's 2012 premiere, Arino takes on a game from the strange, sick, and twisted sub-genre: Western Games.

Arino vs Flashback, ladies and gentlemen. A Nagoyan translation and a Gutcruncher (THATS ME!) timing.

http://www.multiupload.com/UQESKBNOCT

And the subs
http://www.multiupload.com/0E6K1ZPKJT

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Beautiful!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
This should be good!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

OOOO I can't wait. Thanks for all the great work people.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

redmercer posted:

Care to clarify a little? I'm not sure exactly what you're saying we can find and where.

The DS game is a few remakes of the earlier Saburo Jinguji games, and that's what they localized as Jake Hunter in America.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just started it, Aquabats song (I'm A Winner) opening!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

In SA GCCX's 2012 premiere, Arino takes on a game from the strange, sick, and twisted sub-genre: Western Games.

Arino vs Flashback, ladies and gentlemen. A Nagoyan translation and a Gutcruncher (THATS ME!) timing.

http://www.multiupload.com/UQESKBNOCT

And the subs
http://www.multiupload.com/0E6K1ZPKJT

Thanks guys! I've been looking forward to this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Flashback was one of the most requested episodes. Glad to see it up!