Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine
god speed Brian, please defeat the sexy underwater boss :pray:

edit: how long do the boss fights take in quest 64 if you are playin' normally?

sleeps-chan fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nepty and Shilf are dead.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Are this year's Awesome Games Done Quick runs going to be uploaded at any point? I was told they would be available in reasonable definition!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Kyrosiris posted:

Nepty and Shilf are dead.

He's also beaten the Light Worlds in Super Meat Boy one handed during this run, and is moving on to Cotton Alley one handed because I guess he is that insane.

scary ghost dog posted:

Are this year's Awesome Games Done Quick runs going to be uploaded at any point? I was told they would be available in reasonable definition!

Yeah, it's just going to take a few weeks for things like encoding and syncing and whatnot. I'm positive someone will post about it in here when they start going up for download.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

He's also beaten the Light Worlds in Super Meat Boy one handed during this run, and is moving on to Cotton Alley one handed because I guess he is that insane.

Dark Forest as well. I was going to try and hold out for a 9 hour mark post, but i'm exhausted and need to not be reaching for keyboard any time soon. You can do it, Peaches! Please don't kill me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Almost at the 9 and a half hour mark and Guilty is tearing Peaches a new rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Guilty down! :woop:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 18, 2012

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
He's now fighting the final boss I think. There's still probably half an hour left of the fight though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:siren: 11:21:42.42! :siren:

Edit: 100 POINT LEVEL 3 JUMBLE HOPPING

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 18, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Peaches is doing a Blast Corps 100% attempt right now: http://justin.tv/peaches__

Wideshanks
May 17, 2007

B.M.O.F.
Big Man On Forums
What does WR mean? I keep seeing it everywhere. White Run? Whale Run?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Wideshanks posted:

What does WR mean? I keep seeing it everywhere. White Run? Whale Run?

World Record

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

World Record. The best of the best. Women want him, men want to be him.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Peaches is doing a Blast Corps 100% attempt right now: http://justin.tv/peaches__

Blast Corps RACE starting now.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
TASVideos: Still crazy as gently caress:

quote:

This movie takes a different approach to Super Metroid. Rather than simply beating all the bosses as quickly as possible, this run deliberately defeats them in reverse order. This makes life more difficult for Samus since she does not have the protection and mobility granted by her suit upgrades.
Yeah for everyone that tried going into Norfair and left because you couldn't complete it while on fire and especially couldn't get through the lava swim, here you go, it's been done.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

God drat that was a fun watch.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The highlight of that run was the mocktroid bridge.

Dessyreqt played that on his stream back when there were no encodes, and it was a piece of art to watch. If you know anything about Super Metroid, go watch it.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I expected it to have more of a NBMB route, but the route they took was pretty insane. Also, they are using such precise, frame-specific movements that it looks like they're cutting frames out of the recording.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
That was a really cool run, but reading the author's notes I still have no idea what went on at one point where it appeared as if Samus was jumping multiple times straight up, kind of like bomb jumping but only crouching and jumping slightly, no morph ball or bombs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Reading the notes, it's weird reading the bits talking about how such and such an occurrence was lucky. I go into TASes these days with the assumption that the RNG is completely and entirely the runners' bitch.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ToxicFrog posted:

Reading the notes, it's weird reading the bits talking about how such and such an occurrence was lucky. I go into TASes these days with the assumption that the RNG is completely and entirely the runners' bitch.
The authors notes describe a "lack of knowledge when it comes to Super Metroid RNG", the RAM address list for it doesn't have an RNG address yet so I'd bet they haven't cracked it yet.

That's kind of why I have to completely disagree with the "TAS don't take skill" thing, it often takes a lot of engineering skill to find and manipulate the subtler behavior that can save huge amounts of time, or do this superoptimization that lets you find exotic tricks that being even one frame off would have ruined.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 20, 2012

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Incredible patience is also a skill as far as I'm concerned.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
There's a lot of research that shows it's something you can train, and that there are lots of factors that cause people to have more/less of it.

Of course, you can also just have autism.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OneEightHundred posted:

That's kind of why I have to completely disagree with the "TAS don't take skill" thing, it often takes a lot of engineering skill to find and manipulate the subtler behavior that can save huge amounts of time, or do this superoptimization that lets you find exotic tricks that being even one frame off would have ruined.

Yeah; it just doesn't take the same kind of skill that an unassisted run does.

Anyone saying that TASing does not require skill full stop has been spending too much time with the :catdrugs:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

The highlight of that run was the mocktroid bridge.

Dessyreqt played that on his stream back when there were no encodes, and it was a piece of art to watch. If you know anything about Super Metroid, go watch it.

Actually this was the highlight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OneEightHundred posted:

TASVideos: Still crazy as gently caress:

Yeah for everyone that tried going into Norfair and left because you couldn't complete it while on fire and especially couldn't get through the lava swim, here you go, it's been done.

It had never occurred to me to try to use the power bomb combos on bosses. I always figured them for little easter eggs that didn't serve much purpose other than something different to do.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
There are a couple of runs from the recent marathon available, and I have a few more queued up for encoding:

http://www.archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2012

I'll be spending the next few days moving, so don't expect anything new from Friday evening until Monday evening, at a minimum.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I watched the EVO speedrun and honestly I could see that being done without tools. When you've got your timing down for charging attacks it's just silly how easily you can stunlock everything.

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtXZ3n7nh0

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo, Zaccio, and others are doing an OoT Bingo Blackout (meaning you have to fill all 25 squares to win) race with a freshly-drawn card (meaning Sockfolder is going to randomly select the seed for the card, give it to them, and they have to start immediately) pretty soon here: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Edit: This is the card that got drawn up: http://speedrunslive.com/tools/oot-bingo-v4/?seed=310585

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 21, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo and Jiano have organized a gigantic OoT race with an as-of-yet unannounced goal. There's at least 70+ people signed up so far, and it was enough to crash the SpeedRunsLive server, forcing them to do a hasty upgrade. As soon as the goal condition is announced and the race starts, I'll edit this post, but for now you can get updates on the status of things at http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Whose streams should I look out for? 70+ people wow.

edit: This is much better.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 22, 2012

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Watch Cosmo's stream, he's going to do a restream/commentary thing like he did for the Halloween puzzle race.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Race is on.

Conditions: Defeat Meg, must wear Iron Boots & Broken Knife at all times in the Forest Temple.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Oh boy that goal is pretty ridiculous.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Heran Bago posted:

Whose streams should I look out for? 70+ people wow.

Notable people of the 74 entrants (jesus, that's a lot of OoT players) in this race include:

- SA members: Peaches and canoshiz, maybe some others I missed?
- Japanese OoT players: izu, sva, and at least two others
- Top-level 3D Zelda runners: Runnerguy, ingx24, sockfolder, ZFG, Zaccio (he of the bomb luck), etc.
- Old school Zelda legends like Kazooie and Librari, who were the initial discoverers of Reverse Bottle Adventure

Alternatively, just watch Cosmo's stream at http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright because he'll be jumping around between various streams and commentating.

:siren: The mystery race condition:

- Defeat Meg (one of them special Poes in the Forest Temple)
- Must wear Iron Boots and Broken Knife at all times while in the Forest Temple

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 22, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
In case people weren't paying attention for a bit, Cafde did a weird thing. For some reason, he got the ice arrows (and the odd mushroom chest in the Gerudo Training Grounds that only exists as Child Link.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This stream is like a magical journey of discovering how much I don't know poo poo about Zelda. This stuff is insane.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Honestly the best part of this race is all the scrublords whining in chat about how it's too hard. "omg how do u do dotskip!!!"

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So many Stalfos deaths. :psyduck:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So far the Stalfos seem to be winning this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
This second battle with the respawning Stalfos is going to take a while for people to get past.

• Locked thread