Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

Next Episode
Detective Jinguji Saburo Shinjuku Chuo Park murder
1/26/12

Goddamn it! Another adventure game?! Don't they know how much work those episodes are? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

Goddamn it! Another adventure game?! Don't they know how much work those episodes are? :v:

Theyre being passive aggressive.

"Those gaijin are watching our show for free? Lets see them watch THIS poo poo!"

Eventually Arino will play Japanese Zork or something.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Oh wow. I didn't think Flashback would get done so soon, thanks a lot!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Games that rely on Arino's cunning rather than his reflexes are always the best. :woop:

That place he visited was great.

Arino was pointing and laughing at us! :saddowns:

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 19, 2012

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Always wanted to play Flashback but somehow I get the feeling this will be better. ;)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I was checking the English workbooks at the Japanese middle school I teach at, and I noticed one kid wrote "Arino is the game player I like the best." :3:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

leather fedora posted:

I was checking the English workbooks at the Japanese middle school I teach at, and I noticed one kid wrote "Arino is the game player I like the best." :3:

I sure hope you gave him some extra credit.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gutcruncher posted:

Theyre being passive aggressive.

"Those gaijin are watching our show for free? Lets see them watch THIS poo poo!"

Eventually Arino will play Japanese Zork or something.

Everything is better with Zork.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Snowed in this week so I rewatched Out of This World yesterday. Can't wait to watch Flashback!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Flashback was okay, but the real treat was watching him decimate Championship Lode Runner.

Arino's capacity for puzzle games will never cease to amaze me :stare:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

It's nothing terribly exciting, but I'd like to point out that the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation project did a "No, were not dead" post. I'll admit that I was starting to get worried about the project status.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 19, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Emalde posted:

Flashback was okay, but the real treat was watching him decimate Championship Lode Runner.

Arino's capacity for puzzle games will never cease to amaze me :stare:

Growing up as a kid in the NES days and as a military brat, my old man got me one of those pirated multi-carts that seemed to be pretty common in the Philippines (Clark AB never forget). That was one of the games on the cart, and he used to be pretty drat good at it, as well as Bomberman. Puzzles seem to be the forte of middle aged men, I suppose.

SCNWC
Nov 9, 2011
I just wanted to say, you guys are amazing. I could watch 20 episodes non stop. Keep up the amazing work! I have no idea why you aren't paid for this.
Oh also,

`"I have a tumor on my prostate gland and no health insurance"
- Tim Rogers

I Thought a few might enjoy that knowledge.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Big thanks for the Flashback episode I've been looking forward to that one for a while.

With Umiharakawase it's possible to get it boxed for $60 or less on ebay every now and then, I got mine for about $65 last year from a play asia sale and it didn't seem like much since the DS version cost me around $80 (I'm in Australia & the exchange rate sucked at the time). Both versions were worth the cost though it's a really special game. This is actually the only game from GCCX I own in the proper system and region, I've got a ton of the others as ports or western carts. Doesn't help that I've got three times as many Master System & Mega Drive carts then NES & SNES ones.

I would avoid the PSP version at all costs, the physics were ruined & not in a way that could be considered negligible by someone who hasn't spent time with the PS1 version.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

SCNWC posted:

I just wanted to say, you guys are amazing. I could watch 20 episodes non stop. Keep up the amazing work! I have no idea why you aren't paid for this.
Oh also,

`"I have a tumor on my prostate gland and no health insurance"
- Tim Rogers

Did he Twitter that, or was that his review of King of Fighters XIII?

Johanz
Nov 3, 2010
Oh man! Flashback! Awesome~! I was actually going to guess this would be the next episode when you guys teased it but I didn't want do be all like "Hey, hey heyheyhey, when are you guys gonna do Flashback?~" so I just kept it to myself. And then, bam! Flashback translated, awesome! Gonna watch this episode tonight, ouf, gotta go out and buy snacks for this!

Thanks a ton! Can never have too much Arino in my life :3:

All you guys wanting to see Battletoads because it is this essential american hard-to-beat NES game, the same feeling I as a european for Flashback and Another World, two games that I grew up with and played a ton that are sorta distinct and all european-like. I never had much exposure to Battletoads except I tried to play Battletoads vs Double Dragon in a mall once but I could never grasp the controls so for me, the Battletoads-series would remain a myster until later in life. I would love to see the episode but the excitement some of you guys have for the Battletoads episode, that's what I have for Another World and Flashback.

Johanz fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 19, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Johanz posted:

All you guys wanting to see Battletoads because it is this essential american hard-to-beat NES game, the same feeling I as a european for Flashback and Another World, two games that I grew up with and played a ton that are sorta distinct and all european-like.

Battletoads is as essential nail-your-balls-to-the-wall-hard NES game even in Europe, especially considering its creator Rare Ltd. is based in UK. Not sure how widely sold it was but I never, ever found Battletoads when I tried to buy it or even rent it. Luckily I had the priviledge of friending a kid who owned the game and could play Battletoads loads. I never passed through that ice stage which I think I only ever reached once.

All things considered I have to say Flashback was probably my favorite childhood game. An adventure through multiple locales and even a barebones city hub with a working metro system was mindblowing for a console kid.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I don't know why, but I didn't feel like I was enjoying the Flashback episode as much as I should have. It had nothing to do with the translation (you guys did a great job as always), but I think it felt like they cut out a lot of the stuff in editing, especially near the beginning of the game. But, to be fair, I never actually played Flashback, so I didn't connect with the game that much, and I've been having kind of an off night tonight (probably because school starts tomorrow/today), so maybe it's just me. :shobon:

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for the new episode!

Anyone else bothered how the file naming seems to change on every upload? Especially the leading zero on episode number.

I think you should unify this a bit, and always include the leading zero (if the file is under #100) and then I would add the [Team SA] and maybe even the CRC checksum, to check for corruption (e.g. in Flashback, the whole filename would be like; Game Center CX 056 - Flashback [Team SA][2F7E8FAF].avi).

Anyways, this is just a very tiny complaint, and I can always rename the files for myself.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Obeast posted:

I don't know why, but I didn't feel like I was enjoying the Flashback episode as much as I should have. It had nothing to do with the translation (you guys did a great job as always), but I think it felt like they cut out a lot of the stuff in editing, especially near the beginning of the game. But, to be fair, I never actually played Flashback, so I didn't connect with the game that much, and I've been having kind of an off night tonight (probably because school starts tomorrow/today), so maybe it's just me. :shobon:

Yeah, I'm feeling you. I personally thought Arino looked tired throughout the episode excluding the segments. I just attributed it towards the pacing of the game itself, though.

Speaking of the segments, I like to think I have a pretty open mind when it comes to the food Arino eats and sometimes even crave it (53 Stations, Cafes, that Ramen Noodle Machine); however, those egg wrapped noodles with a side of red beans to drink for dessert -- no thanks. When he opened the egg: :can:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 19, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I thought the egg noodles looked pretty good. Dunno about the red bean drink though.

Obeast posted:

I have played Flashback and you're right. All of the story cutscenes were cut. It's loving weird. It's a really fun interesting game, but the runthrough of that was kinda boring. Even a brief summary via voiceover would have been good. I dunno if the GCCX director was just terrible, or if the J version really did remove all the cutscenes for some reason.

Johanz
Nov 3, 2010

jyrque posted:

Battletoads is as essential nail-your-balls-to-the-wall-hard NES game even in Europe, especially considering its creator Rare Ltd. is based in UK. Not sure how widely sold it was but I never, ever found Battletoads when I tried to buy it or even rent it. Luckily I had the priviledge of friending a kid who owned the game and could play Battletoads loads. I never passed through that ice stage which I think I only ever reached once.

All things considered I have to say Flashback was probably my favorite childhood game. An adventure through multiple locales and even a barebones city hub with a working metro system was mindblowing for a console kid.

Oh drat, you are right! I knew Battletoads was a Rare game but I forgot that they were from the UK!
And yeah, Flashback's city hub blew my mind, I really felt like I could live there. Nowadays, the city isn't as impressive but being an action game and a platformer, the game sure has a lot of neat little features, details and such that really make it something more than a Prince of Persia clone or somesuch.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just downloading the new episode now - it should be an easy win. Flashback is an easy game, just quite intricate. It'll be nice to see Arino take on something more accessible, at the very least.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Fantastic to see another new episode in the new year!

2l2q
Sep 5, 2011
Random Stranger:
Ultraman and Ultraseven (eps 21 & 45) should link here (current links are broken)
Also check out #40 Mighty Bomb Jack is listed a second time on accident.

Also, you guys are the greatest. This is a terrible first post (actually I just posted this as a topic on accident, god). But I regged my account just for this thread months ago because I got sick of that drat paywall. Been watching this show since the TV-Nihon days and am so happy there's finally someone actually putting out episodes at a real rate. Awesome work. Thanks thanks thanks.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

2l2q posted:

Random Stranger:
Ultraman and Ultraseven (eps 21 & 45) should link here (current links are broken)
Also check out #40 Mighty Bomb Jack is listed a second time on accident.

Another victim of TV Nihon changing their torrents around. I've changed it.

Mighty Bomb Jack, however, is not an error. The first ten minutes of episode 40 are a continuation of the challenge from episode 39. That's subtitled as part of Kotaku's episodes. The rest of episode 40, Gargoyle's Quest 2 was subtitled by the SA team. And then episode 41, of course, was the Mighty Bomb Jack live episode which we subtitled.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

The new year has now officially begun. Thanks again for everybody's efforts!

SCNWC posted:

"I have a tumor on my prostate gland and no health insurance"
- Tim Rogers

While I would love for him to lose the ability to communicate with others, I'm not sure I'd wish a tumor on most anybody. THAT SAID, I find it ironic he would say that after his infamous article, as Japan has national health insurance.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I wanted to give people a heads up on this because it's a bit confusing.

As already posted next week's episode of Game Center CX will be the first of the Detective Saburo Jinguji games. And while double checking things to see what the proper localization name is I decided that I might as well pick up the DS version since you can get it dirt cheap.

The catch is that there are actually two DS games that feature very similar but oddly distinct content. The original one is Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles (currently $8 on Amazon). It contains remakes of the first three Detective Saburo Jinguji games.

Now here's where things get funny. A couple of years later they re-release it as Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past (currently about $12 on Amazon). It also has the first three Detective Saburo Jinguji games but it uses a different translation. On top of that they added two more adaptations of Famicom games and five of the mobile phone games.

So Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles is an extremely stripped down version of Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past. They both contain Shinjuku Central Park Murder Mystery which is the game Arino will be playing but Memories of the Past has the better translation.

And FWIW, since the contents of the DS game is so radically different from what Arino will be playing I'm going to stick with a translation of the Japanese title.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

"Western games are odd!" *plays Japanese game about a kindergartener slinging her way around a screen with a rubber band to avoid giant bouncing fish*

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

Speaking of the segments, I like to think I have a pretty open mind when it comes to the food Arino eats and sometimes even crave it (53 Stations, Cafes, that Ramen Noodle Machine); however, those egg wrapped noodles with a side of red beans to drink for dessert -- no thanks. When he opened the egg: :can:

Have you ever had eggs with worcestershire sauce? They're like made for each other. Apparently yakisoba sauce (the noodles are fried with that to make it brown) is a sweetened variant of that, so it probably tasted awesome. :aaa:

The bean "drink" looked like a variant of the red bean soup you get as dessert in some restaurants.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's Aquabats music in the episode? The staff must have good taste.

SCNWC
Nov 9, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

Did he Twitter that, or was that his review of King of Fighters XIII?

It was his review Super Mario Land 3D, actually.
It seems that game has something to do with him missing out on the love of his life... with puppies and everything.

I stopped reading before he got to reviewing the game..

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Also re: Tim Rogers, I could swear I read in one of his posts that he claimed he sold some internet site or concept or whatever for tons of money?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

SCNWC posted:

It was his review Super Mario Land 3D, actually.
It seems that game has something to do with him missing out on the love of his life... with puppies and everything.

I stopped reading before he got to reviewing the game..

I wish I could make a living reviewing games like they were 500-word high school essays that I wasn't graded on, and pad them out with bullshit nobody cares about.

"As I was waiting for my 3DS to charge so I could get through my first playthrough of Super Mario 3D Land, I flipped the TV on and Moonshiners was on. 'Goddamnit, Tickle,' I thought, 'you didn't break your ribs making moonshine, you broke your ribs because you're a drunk idiot.' Seeing him drink that moonshine got me thirsty; do I have any bourbon left? As I arose from my couch, the Big Mouth Billy Bass on my wall started singing. I still have some Old Crow.

Super Mario 3D Land is a must-play experience, much like the movie 'Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector' is a much-watch. I'm confused, is he a cable guy or a health inspector? I know he ain't a plumber, which Mario is."

Give me money, Games Journalism.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Megaupload is dead at this point.

You might want to find somewhere else to upload episodes on.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Aw, they're the best one. :(

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Megalixir posted:

Megaupload is dead at this point.

You might want to find somewhere else to upload episodes on.

Multiupload covers just about all the major sites.. but I expect the number of file-hosting options available to shrink VERY quickly soon.

gently caress, I had some legal, legit stuff up on there!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe not, the other hosts didn't have a direct way of streaming anything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dominic White posted:

gently caress, I had some legal, legit stuff up on there!
Wow, that's fuckin' creepy. I used MU like, not even two hours ago to grab a memory card a goon put together for me because I couldn't figure it out myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011
Aww poo poo. I've been waiting for Flashback to get subbed for a long time. Glad to see it up! My internet will probably let me download it in the next 8 hours. Wonderful.

Thanks again! Looking forward to this one, a lot.