Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I am not white-knighting dreamhost, but going by a sales rep's word and not reading the TOS was not wise on your part.

The good news is that you can still use cheap shared webhosting for actual websites, staying in line with the TOS, and get a cheap VPS for your file sharing needs. Or use the VPS for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

VerySolidSnake posted:

Still my fault?

You abused their Terms of Service. Yes.

VerySolidSnake posted:

Some of you guys are so :fap: for Dreamhost you refuse to ever hate them, for any reason.

I wouldn't recommend Dreamhost to any of my clients or friends. In fact, I would recommend not using them. With that being said I also wouldn't recommend using a shared hosting account for a file distribution service for the exact reasons you are complaining about, not to mention it's against any reputable shared hosting company's Terms of Service.

e: beaten twice.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I talked with a representative of the company about what I needed and my exact plans for using their service. They green lighted it. How the hell are you spinning this to my fault? Why would I check the TOS for those terms when a representative whose job is to know the TOS inside out told me it was ok?

quote:

I've sped down the same stretch of highway for the last 7 years on my commute to work, if I get busted for going 8 mph over tomorrow I won't complain.

The cop tells you it's ok to go 8 mph over, then pulls you over. Now we're on the same page.

How about you go into a movie theater, buy a ticket, then sit down to watch the movie. The terms on the ticket say you can be kicked out if you are wearing a hat. You were wearing a hat the entire time, the person that sold you the ticket saw you wearing the hat, but they kick you out halfway through the movie. How is that for an analogy?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I was going to come up with an analogy like you did, about sporting events and video cameras but I decided not to.

You can't expect some customer service tard to be the end-all of company policy.

"Can I use fizzbap 4.2?"

"Sure!"

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

I talked with a representative of the company about what I needed and my exact plans for using their service. They green lighted it. How the hell are you spinning this to my fault? Why would I check the TOS for those terms when a representative whose job is to know the TOS inside out told me it was ok?

The cop tells you it's ok to go 8 mph over, then pulls you over. Now we're on the same page.

How about you go into a movie theater, buy a ticket, then sit down to watch the movie. The terms on the ticket say you can be kicked out if you are wearing a hat. You were wearing a hat the entire time, the person that sold you the ticket saw you wearing the hat, but they kick you out halfway through the movie. How is that for an analogy?

You really need to relax and use this as a learning experience. There is a very clear consensus here that the responsibility to understand the TOS that you agreed to is yours and yours alone.

Sales people are not necessarily technically savvy and they may stretch the truth or even outright lie to you to get a sale. Now you know this firsthand and you are better off because of it.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

DNova posted:

Sales people are not necessarily technically savvy and they may stretch the truth or even outright lie to you to get a sale.

You'd be surprised how often they just have no idea what they are talking about and are too stupid or lazy to care.

E: Or they're in 8 chats and just want you to go away.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

quote:

Personal Backups

With the exception of DreamHost Dedicated Server products, the customer agrees to make use of DreamHost Web Hosting servers primarily for the purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions. Data uploaded must be primarily for this purpose. DreamHost Web Hosting servers are not intended as a data backup or archiving service. DreamHost Web Hosting reserves the right to negotiate additional charges with the Customer and/or the discontinuation of the backups/archives at their discretion. If you exceed your allocated transfer bandwidth for a month, you will be billed at the rate of $1 per additional 10GB.

The websites were not personal backups. It was a full website with files, logins, everything displayed with HTML. There were email notifications sent out and a public facing login page. Comments could be posted to files, and additional descriptions and META data could be added to each file. Reading this section without talking to the representative I still would of still created the websites.

Like any TOS, it protects the company far more than the consumer, and the loose wording can be interpreted in a million ways to protect themselves.

The only learning experience and takeaway is to never use Dreamhost again.

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 19, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

The websites were not personal backups. It was a full website with files, logins, everything displayed with HTML. There were email notifications sent out and a public facing login page. Reading this section without talking to the representative I still would of still created the websites.

Like any TOS, it protects the company far more than the consumer, and the loose wording can be interpreted in a million ways to protect themselves.

You're a little dense. Let me help you:

quote:

Personal Backups

With the exception of DreamHost Dedicated Server products, the customer agrees to make use of DreamHost Web Hosting servers primarily for the purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions. Data uploaded must be primarily for this purpose. DreamHost Web Hosting servers are not intended as a data backup or archiving service. DreamHost Web Hosting reserves the right to negotiate additional charges with the Customer and/or the discontinuation of the backups/archives at their discretion. If you exceed your allocated transfer bandwidth for a month, you will be billed at the rate of $1 per additional 10GB.

The bold parts are what you need to pay attention to. I hope I've cut it down enough that you can understand it.

One would think that in your 7 years as a customer, you would read the policies you agreed to. One would also think that after violating the policy for 7 years you would understand that you finally got nicked for it and take it in a mature fashion, rather than having a tantrum about it.

I have read a bunch of shared hosting agreements. Certainly not ALL of them but at least a dozen or so, and all of those have had the same policy. No files not related to the actual website. A folder full of random binaries in a cache directory does not meet this requirement.

In the future, read what you are agreeing to and abide by the rules. Or violate them, but know that you are exposing yourself to action by the host to stop the violations from happening.

edit: I would also like to respond to your claim that the TOS protects the company more than the customer. First of all, no poo poo. Second, that particular clause protects all of the other customers on your server from having their available space shrink to nothing because of your violations.

edit2: I kind of doubt this would have happened at all if the files weren't in a cache directory, even though dreamhost had a right to do so either way.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 19, 2012

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
A website with a large directory of files would violate the TOS then, such as a company listing all of their press releases and company documents. Since you are the expert, do those terms clearly state that if the website's directory of files is private instead, is it in violation?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

A website with a large directory of files would violate the TOS then, such as a company listing all of their press releases and company documents. Since you are the expert, do those terms clearly state that if the website's directory of files is private instead, is it in violation?

A directory full of press releases and company documents accessible on a company's website is exactly what they are allowing you to host. A private directory full of inaccessible files is exactly what the AUP prohibits.

edit: Look, I know it sucks, but it's the reality of "UN-FUCKIN-LIMITED!!!!*" hosting.

*limits and exclusions apply

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 19, 2012

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

DNova posted:

A directory full of press releases and company documents accessible on a company's website is exactly what they are allowing you to host. A private directory full of inaccessible files is exactly what the AUP prohibits.

And where does the AUP define whether or not their terms apply to a website that has a login or not?

DNova posted:

edit: Look, I know it sucks, but it's the reality of "UN-FUCKIN-LIMITED!!!!*"

I just want team awful on my side.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The AUP does not address that, leaving it up to the host's discretion. That's preferable to you as a customer because it means that you can probably get away with it indefinitely as long as you are not a resource hog.

Check out the $15/yr VPS at buyvm.net

You get 15gb of space and you can put whatever the heck you want on there. Cheaper than S3 and you get a VPS along with the space! It's fairly anemic on RAM and CPU, though, so you might want to keep your dreamhost (or other cheap shared hosting) account to serve up the websites while using the VPS for your random file swapping space and maybe some development.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

DNova posted:

Check out the $15/yr VPS at buyvm.net

You get 15gb of space and you can put whatever the heck you want on there. Cheaper than S3 and you get a VPS along with the space! It's fairly anemic on RAM and CPU, though, so you might want to keep your dreamhost (or other cheap shared hosting) account to serve up the websites while using the VPS for your random file swapping space and maybe some development.

That is insanely cheap. I have about 80 websites on InMotion Hosting right now, but their VPS packages start at $40/month for 40gb of space.

With buyvm I clicked on the "Storage" tab and they are even larger. CPU and RAM is not a huge issue as it's only several people a day accessing it, probably at most 2-3 people at the same time. 1TB of space for $30/month and it's legitimate?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

VerySolidSnake posted:

That is insanely cheap. I have about 80 websites on InMotion Hosting right now, but their VPS packages start at $40/month for 40gb of space.

With buyvm I clicked on the "Storage" tab and they are even larger. CPU and RAM is not a huge issue as it's only several people a day accessing it, probably at most 2-3 people at the same time. 1TB of space for $30/month and it's legitimate?

Keep in mind that inmotion's VPS has WHM, backups, managed firewall, and some other nonsense.

E: Though it still is not priced very competitively.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've had the $15/yr VPS for a couple of years now. I don't use it heavily so I am not the best judge, but I've had no real problems with it. Sometime last year when HE went down, the VPSes were down for like a day.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

DNova posted:

I've had the $15/yr VPS for a couple of years now. I don't use it heavily so I am not the best judge, but I've had no real problems with it. Sometime last year when HE went down, the VPSes were down for like a day.

This looks great but they are out of stock (since November) of all server options with no ETA.

How about Rackspace Cloud for just hosting the files? (http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/cloud_hosting_products/files/)

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 19, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

This looks great but they are out of stock (since November) of all server options with no ETA.

How about Rackspace Cloud for just hosting the files? (http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/cloud_hosting_products/files/)

I've heard nothing but good things about Rackspace but I have no firsthand experience with them.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

:siren: Dreamhost has been hacked, change your passwords :siren:

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2012/01/20/changing-ftpshell-passwords-due-to-security-issue/

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

VerySolidSnake posted:

Lmao no, the lesson is keep your own backups of your website you monumental retard, are you literally 12 years old?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

blunt posted:

:siren: Dreamhost has been hacked, change your passwords :siren:

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2012/01/20/changing-ftpshell-passwords-due-to-security-issue/

No fat fingers this time?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Unlimited anything is bullshit. A long while ago I ran a site with funny pictures on it. People from LJ, all sorts of blogs and forums started hotlinking them. My account was terminated due to traffic. When I pointed out their unlimited bullshit, the reason suddenly shifted to my stuff, or rather the CPU power burnt on handling the requests, affecting the other shared hosts.

I may be bleeding out of my rear end for a dedicated host, where bleeding is relative because it's just 50 bux a month for my own machine, I have had exactly zero issues the last three years. Meanwhile I'm doing some other things, so it makes the fee worthwhile anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Unlimited anything is bullshit. A long while ago I ran a site with funny pictures on it. People from LJ, all sorts of blogs and forums started hotlinking them. My account was terminated due to traffic. When I pointed out their unlimited bullshit, the reason suddenly shifted to my stuff, or rather the CPU power burnt on handling the requests, affecting the other shared hosts.

Technically they wouldn't allow you to host just images on a DH account, it'd have to be an actual site.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Technically they wouldn't allow you to host just images on a DH account, it'd have to be an actual site.

I've seenhuge wallpaper crap sites get away just fine on dreamhost, just no image hosting and whatnot

pretty princess
Jan 3, 2010

-|-
/ \

Bob Morales posted:

He said it was a site.

Anyway I use my best friend's 'unlimited plan' server on eleven2 and it's been amazing so far. They're cheap cheap. We bought a plan when they were still called sharkspace (or something like that).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

god damnit I am paying two american dollars per month and I demand the highest quality service available!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DNova posted:

god damnit I am paying two american dollars per month and I demand the highest quality service available!

I like prgmr.com's stance:

An easy to understand price schedule: $4/month per account, and $1/month for every 64MiB ram. Please note; this means all plans come with $4/month worth of support.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

I may be bleeding out of my rear end for a dedicated host, where bleeding is relative because it's just 50 bux a month for my own machine, I have had exactly zero issues the last three years. Meanwhile I'm doing some other things, so it makes the fee worthwhile anyway.

I don't know your specific situation, but CPU is usually why we end up suspending people - that, or database usage. I have never seen a shared hosting account suspended because their bandwidth usage was hurting us. It's always because their CPU/database usage was crashing the server and we would rather make that person mad than the 300 other people on the server.

fungi^2
Oct 2, 2004

people say i'm a fun guy
Just looking for a place for my programming blog guys. It gets about ~12K hits per post, nothing too insane, but a bit more demanding than the normal wordpress site.

It's just so frickin embarrassing when it goes down.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Do you use the WP Super Cache plugin? That can help quite a bit.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Seconding SuperCache. 12K hit isn't anything.. Are you getting bombed with spam comments?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I prefer w3 total cache. It does database caching, object caching, javascript/css minify, supports CDNs and varnish.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

JHVH-1 posted:

I prefer w3 total cache. It does database caching, object caching, javascript/css minify, supports CDNs and varnish.

Yeah, total cache is better. And its use of APC is pretty awesome (and a shitload faster than using the file system).

fungi^2
Oct 2, 2004

people say i'm a fun guy
I was using w3 but when I upgraded to 3.3.1 it seemed to make my site really slow. No idea what was going on, but I attribute it to Hytek's overloaded servers with pitiful hardware.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

fungi^2 posted:

Just looking for a place for my programming blog guys. It gets about ~12K hits per post, nothing too insane, but a bit more demanding than the normal wordpress site.

It's just so frickin embarrassing when it goes down.

w3 + medialayer.com

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

fungi^2 posted:

I was using w3 but when I upgraded to 3.3.1 it seemed to make my site really slow. No idea what was going on, but I attribute it to Hytek's overloaded servers with pitiful hardware.

When I was still using Hytek, I'd remember that from about 2:00 AM CST to around 11:00 AM (estimating there, it may not have been quite as long as that) my site would slow to a CRAWL, as in taking 15 seconds or more to begin loading the page. The only answer I ever got about it, was that they were doing weekly backups during that time, and nothing ever appeared to get done about it, with any successive tickets I'd sent about it past that point.

Maybe whatever they were using to archive or back up contents on that particular server was pegging the cpu or memory heavily, I don't really know.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Killer_B posted:

When I was still using Hytek, I'd remember that from about 2:00 AM CST to around 11:00 AM (estimating there, it may not have been quite as long as that) my site would slow to a CRAWL, as in taking 15 seconds or more to begin loading the page. The only answer I ever got about it, was that they were doing weekly backups during that time, and nothing ever appeared to get done about it, with any successive tickets I'd sent about it past that point.

Maybe whatever they were using to archive or back up contents on that particular server was pegging the cpu or memory heavily, I don't really know.
Sounds like the backup was causing excessive disk i/o causing high i/o wait which would do exactly what you are talking about. Its what happens when you backup user data from -> to the same disk. A good setup would be to backup to an offsite server or have a second disk setup for backups so you aren't using all of the disk i/o for the backup job.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
It only happened once a week, on Sundays. But still...That issue, among some of the awful customer service issues that they had, is what drove me to bail from Hytek.

As an aside, anyone that still happens to have data with Made2Own/Brutal.net, get out NOW. The previous owner, evidently was having financial problems, and sold the business to someone else;

The current owner seems to have zero idea how to run a hosting business, or just doesn't care...Complaints/tickets are going to the support black hole, probably never to escape...They have permanent bad rain associated with them as a business, there are far better alternatives.

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
Anyone have any recommendations for hosting Python/Django/Flask web apps? They're just going to be small personal projects. I'd love a Linode but can't justify it right now.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
A question,

I seem to recall that 1 and 1 has a custom control panel for managing domains, is this correct?

Someone I know has had issues with them, where their site was down for more than a day, and from what I can gather, it was having them restore data on the site...But I haven't looked indepth to see what the exact issue was. I'm on the urge of telling him to fire 1 and 1 to look for a real host, obviously...Which would bring me to my next question,

If 1 and 1 does still use a custom control panel, how easy would it be to migrate a medium-large sized site to a host that's using cpanel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I think people are too control-panel-dependent these days. A control panel should just be for adding/managing your domains and other hosting-related stuff.

To migrate hosts without special control panel functions, just do it like everyone has done it before cPanel or Plesk. Download a copy of your site with FTP (or SCP or FTPS or SFTP or whatever), then upload it to the new site via the same (or available) method.

For database, use whatever database utility is available (phpMyAdmin, phpPgAdmin, command line, etc) to dump the database and use the same tool to import it.

Obviously you may need to add everything to the control panel manually which can be tedious if you have lots of domains, emails, etc.