Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

leica posted:

How about an aftermarket HUD? This one looks promising: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YPBGLY?tag=vglnk-c186-20

If you have a smartphone there are many HUD apps too. I tried a couple and they're nice on long trips when you can just settle down and follow directions without constantly looking down at your GPS. Wouldn't want one that turned on with the car though, that seems like a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

dissss posted:

Are we really doing HUDs again? I thought they were a late 80s fad like digital dashboards.

I seriously hope they come back or at least the option for them does. Not having to look down to check on things is really nice.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dissss posted:

Are we really doing HUDs again? I thought they were a late 80s fad like digital dashboards.

poo poo while you mention it, bring back the digital dashes. The Subaru XT dash modernized? YYYESSS.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

poo poo while you mention it, bring back the digital dashes. The Subaru XT dash modernized? YYYESSS.

what, sorta like this?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Are fighter jets a late 80s fad?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are fighter jets a late 80s fad?

Yes. The modern US Airforce doesn't engage in dog fights anymore. It's all over the horizon poo poo now.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Coredump posted:

poo poo while you mention it, bring back the digital dashes. The Subaru

XT dash modernized? YYYESSS.

Check out the Honda CRZ's dash and gauge cluster :) Some guy at Honda must have an XT turbo or Camaro Berlinetta. I think Honda will sell a strictly gas engined CRZ after the toyobaru ignites a rice craze.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

bidikyoopi posted:

If you have a smartphone there are many HUD apps too. I tried a couple and they're nice on long trips when you can just settle down and follow directions without constantly looking down at your GPS. Wouldn't want one that turned on with the car though, that seems like a distraction.

Not to be pedantic but you're not talking about a real "Heads Up Display", are you? I can't imagine your smartphone can actually project an image on to the windshield like previous posters were discussing. You're talking about a ODB app, I presume.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, it's a flipped image in suitable contrast to reflect off the screen. Works ok, albeit at night...

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

InitialDave posted:

No, it's a flipped image in suitable contrast to reflect off the screen. Works ok, albeit at night...

Well, poo poo. Did not know those existed, sounds pretty cool.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Robawesome posted:

Well, poo poo. Did not know those existed, sounds pretty cool.

Neither did I, wonder how it extracts engine data. I would assume it eats up battery like a meth addict.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

jvick posted:

Neither did I, wonder how it extracts engine data. I would assume it eats up battery like a meth addict.

I doubt it does; probably uses GPS to determine speed and give directions.

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

dissss posted:

The 1988 Nissan Silvia rears its head yet again....

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

jvick posted:

Apps exist to extract engine data by bluetooth communicating with an obd plugin module, torque is an example of an android app, I don't know about iOs.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
iOS has REV. Works the same way as Torque. I have yet to try it as a replacement for a scangauge II though.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I love Torque, fantastic app. The OBD2 scanner with bluetooth is a bit expensive but overall I think it's been worth it.

I just wish the manufacturer specific proprietary codes were available.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Stealth Like posted:

The ones in the newer BMWs have basically everything in them now with full color:

How much is a new windshield? $2000?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Brigdh posted:

How much is a new windshield? $2000?

It's probably nothing special on the windshield, unless they coated it with something. Most HUDs are just projected on the glass from the dashboard.

That said, yes, they'll probably charge $2000, even if it's the same glass as their 1990s cars. It's a BMW. You shouldn't even look at one unless you know what it'll cost :P

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dave Inc. posted:

I love Torque, fantastic app. The OBD2 scanner with bluetooth is a bit expensive but overall I think it's been worth it.

I have a 99 volvo which is allegedly fully obd2 compliant, I'd pay real money for a codec that lets torque talk to that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

I'm shocked that someone hasn't hacked the codes already. There's gotta be stuff out there for certain models, all it would take is a tech with a code reader to hack, right? I mean if people can hack i phones, someone should be able to figure it out and create an app for it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

I'm shocked that someone hasn't hacked the codes already. There's gotta be stuff out there for certain models, all it would take is a tech with a code reader to hack, right? I mean if people can hack i phones, someone should be able to figure it out and create an app for it.

No. It's not that easy.

Not all PID are available through the standard OBDII pins, nor are all ECU programming paths. There is little standardized about OBDII other than the connector size, the function of a half dozen of the pins, and the ability to interface with an ECU that stores the "generic" mandated DTCs that are mostly emissions related and show IM readiness and MIL status.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't mean to imply that it was easy, however there is clearly a market for it and I'm surprised someone hasn't taken advantage yet. Time will tell, hopefully in the future proprietary code readers/apps will be available ........Either legally or illegally :)

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

dissss posted:

Brace yourself for the future

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

I didn't mean to imply that it was easy, however there is clearly a market for it and I'm surprised someone hasn't taken advantage yet. Time will tell, hopefully in the future proprietary code readers/apps will be available ........Either legally or illegally :)

It exists, and has existed for quite some time now. Got a Duramax or SBC? EFI Live Rover? Autologic, Blackbox, and any number of others. VAG? VCDS.

While there is a "market" for it, each one is it's own thing for the most part. So your market is incredibly fragmented. And some/many of them require more than a standard OBDII cable/dongle, so now you're talking about additional hardware that has to be designed and built.

The market is there, the products exist, and they are expensive.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

TLG James posted:

I didn't see this posted yet.

http://www.green.autoblog.com/2012/01/10/toyota-prius-c-detroit-auto-show-2012/

I'm horribly excited about that.

I really hope they can just give the Prius C a 'normal' looking interior.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cheese posted:

I really hope they can just give the Prius C a 'normal' looking interior.

Part of the strategy is to visually differentiate the car both inside and out as a sort of "Prius" look and feel so I am gonna let you know that it ain't gonna happen buddy sorry :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's not that bad...

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's not that bad...

I like it. But then...I'm an idiot.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anonumos posted:

I like it. But then...I'm an idiot.

I like the XW30 (2009) Prius interior too. It's competently different while still being pretty ergonomic.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
I like that the shifter is a shifter now and not that little nub.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

69sofine posted:

I like that the shifter is a shifter now and not that little nub.

Traditional shifters are a gross waste of space with most cars now. Bring back the column shifters, I say!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

Traditional shifters are a gross waste of space with most cars now. Bring back the column shifters, I say!
The 60's knew what was up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

oRenj9 posted:

What else would you put in that space? More cupholders?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

Bench seating. :old:

Also, that giant, malformed silver arrowblob pointing to nowhere is hideous. And that's speaking from someone who liked the old Prius interior. A "driver-centered" dash that's really only driver-centered in terms of bright two-tone paint is ugly and gross. And in regards to those dashes in general, does the extra half degree of cant to the left really make touching the radio dials any easier? Does it make up for how ugly and unbalanced it looks?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 21, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

dissss posted:

Something that doesn't get in the way of road-head.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

oRenj9 posted:

Something that doesn't get in the way of road-head.

I always thought that area was for purse storage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
BMW's approach to an angled dash centre has always worked well, seems like the horse to back to me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Page from Camaro ZL1 powerpoint.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yeah but what about that warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Looks like Hyundai is coming out with an Elantra coupe. Maybe a more conventional alternative to the Veloster?