Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

sharktamer posted:

I'm using MIUI v4, I've uninstalled the default app, but I still can't get it to work.

It says that it's replacing a system application when I try, even though the music app is gone.

I had to restart my phone after uninstalling the default app before it would let me install it, try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lprsti99 posted:

Anyone using Circle Launcher: is there a way for me to put a shortcut on my app circle? I want my Awful app to open directly to the UCP, which they have a shortcut for.

Not at present. I'd recommend emailing the dev, thats be a really neat feature.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Mega Comrade posted:

I had to restart my phone after uninstalling the default app before it would let me install it, try that.

Thanks a lot, that worked! Not entirely sure why that would fix things though.

About the app, I'm not really too impressed. The newest version of the google music player on ICS is better in just about every way.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
This thread isn't being remade like the device thread just was anytime soon is it? I went through a lot of different android/tech sites app recommendations this past week looking for interesting apps I hadn't heard of and realized that they are all without exception terrible. They are either just posting inaccurate information, nothing but really obvious things (facebook/netflix/dropbox), or most commonly just really out of date. Most of what I found through a google search still recommended a task manager app.

Because of that I decided to start making my own based mostly on recommendations from this thread that I was hoping to get on the first page of a new App thread. I don't think it will be that useful in the middle of the thread and the goon wiki is long dead so I'm not sure where else to post it. For the list itself I wanted to go with the most common recommended app for a category or task with a short description, followed by any recommended alternatives. Also I want to give each app little icons for information like android version required, if it supports push updates, and if it's free/paid/free with pay version.

Here's an example

Clock Widgets
Beautiful Widgets [Paid] [1.6+]
Beautiful Widgets provides quality looking widgets with full skinning support. Clock/Weather, various toggle, battery, and date widgets are provided. Also has an option for a temperature notification in the notification bar.
Alternatives: HD Widgets [Paid] [1.6+?], Fancy Widgets [Free] [Paid] [1.6+]

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've used WidgetLocker for quite some time, and today decided to see how it works with a PIN lock. Unlocking is fine, but now whenever I hit the button to lock the screen, it turns off, then within a few seconds turns back on, and stays on for the length I have set in Android for the screen timeout (unless I hit the lock button again). Why is this happening?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

THF13 posted:

This thread isn't being remade like the device thread just was anytime soon is it? I went through a lot of different android/tech sites app recommendations this past week looking for interesting apps I hadn't heard of and realized that they are all without exception terrible. They are either just posting inaccurate information, nothing but really obvious things (facebook/netflix/dropbox), or most commonly just really out of date. Most of what I found through a google search still recommended a task manager app.

Because of that I decided to start making my own based mostly on recommendations from this thread that I was hoping to get on the first page of a new App thread. I don't think it will be that useful in the middle of the thread and the goon wiki is long dead so I'm not sure where else to post it. For the list itself I wanted to go with the most common recommended app for a category or task with a short description, followed by any recommended alternatives. Also I want to give each app little icons for information like android version required, if it supports push updates, and if it's free/paid/free with pay version.

Here's an example

Clock Widgets
Beautiful Widgets provides quality looking widgets with full skinning support. Clock/Weather, various toggle, battery, and date widgets are provided. Also has an option for a temperature notification in the notification bar.

I HIGHLY recommend checking out 1Weather, it's by the people who made Friendcaster, and it's really nice. Nice widget and a ton of features.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
I'll play.

Smart Rotator [Free] [1.6+]
Smart Rotator is an app that will automatically configure your devices "auto-rotate" setting based on what app is open. Auto-rotate will be disabled at all times by default. When you run Smart rotator it will populate a list of all your apps, and you choose which ones will trigger your devices auto-rotate setting to Enabled while those apps are open. Highly recommended, a "set it and forget it" app, you will be be rid of auto-rotate toggles for good.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Will Car Home ever be updated for ICS? Unless Google has decided to stop support for this app, it seems kind of ridiculous that it has not been updated yet.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

THF13 posted:

Here's an example

Clock Widgets

I stuck it in the OP, if the OP is absent for a bit longer I can close it if you want to start a new one, but I'd give them a week or so.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I like this but this was the point of the wiki, wasn't it? When/if the links break or the app becomes terrible, people can fix the entries. Theoretically.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Splizwarf posted:

I like this but this was the point of the wiki, wasn't it? When/if the links break or the app becomes terrible, people can fix the entries. Theoretically.

Yes, but nobody used it, so it too was way outdated.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Somebody get Grimbo in here.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Somebody get Grimbo in here.

Bat-signal activated.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Oh nooooo!!!!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My life is officially over.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

We might as well close this thread now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Penguissimo posted:

We might as well close this thread now.

Because the blog was not found? :confused:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Athenry posted:

Yeah, our last, best hope for useful and informative app reviews is now dead.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Athenry posted:

Maybe you're new to Android or something but that blog was the definitive source of app news and reviews. If Grimbo is out of the game, what hope does Android have against iOS?

:lol: Just saw the thread title.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 20, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The blog isn't even cached anywhere :negative:

With the blog gone, I'd might as well jump to iOS.

TyrantGuardian
Jan 26, 2011
So, I'm kind of used to booting programs/apps by searching in Windows. Say, I want to start Google Chrome, I just press the Windows key and type "goo", then click on the program. Is there anything that can do this on Android without requiring root?

Edit: I'm an idiot, the default Google search bar in ICS does this. Nevermind.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TyrantGuardian posted:

So, I'm kind of used to booting programs/apps by searching in Windows. Say, I want to start Google Chrome, I just press the Windows key and type "goo", then click on the program. Is there anything that can do this on Android without requiring root?

Edit: I'm an idiot, the default Google search bar in ICS does this. Nevermind.
You can also use Voice Search or Gesture Search for the same.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this or if it has been addressed already; I did some digging on the net and couldn't find anything useful. I'm trying to use the Citrix Receiver Beta client on my Kindle Fire to connect to my work apps. Authentication works fine and I get the appropriate list of apps, but when I actually try to launch one, I get a loading screen briefly and then it goes back to the list. So, basically, the apps won't launch. Has anyone else had this problem?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Maybe you're new to Android or something but that blog was the definitive source of app news and reviews. If Grimbo is out of the game, what hope does Android have against iOS?

:lol: Just saw the thread title.

I'm not new to Android and I don't know who the heck grimbo is or why I should care. :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
You're not alone. I can't tell if everyone is joking because it was a crap malware site or if it was actually a breeding ground for awesome Android stuff.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The blog isn't even cached anywhere :negative:

With the blog gone, I'd might as well jump to iOS.

This.

Once my work iPhone 4S comes in, I suppose I'll just dump my current phone.

How the gently caress am I supposed to get screenshots of the applications I'm interested in now?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

krushgroove posted:

You're not alone. I can't tell if everyone is joking because it was a crap malware site or if it was actually a breeding ground for awesome Android stuff.

Early in one of the app threads, he came in and posted that he had created a blog for app reviews. Which actually just turned out to be a picture of the app icon on a clear desktop and a short description of what the app does. People gave criticism, to which he greatly declined... goon mentality followed.

Pretty awesomely vague site.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

rotaryfun posted:

goon mentality followed.

Not entirely accurate. Goon Mentality(tm) didn't kick in until Grimbo repeatedly (and more vehemently with each iteration) refused to take even the most basic advice for providing real content on the site.

Eventually, he just ragequit because we were trying to help, and then ridiculed once it was obvious he wasn't open to any kind of constructive criticism.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So when's the memorial service? I still have a few G1's I can throw on the pyre.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

Early in one of the app threads, he came in and posted that he had created a blog for app reviews. Which actually just turned out to be a picture of the app icon on a clear desktop and a short description of what the app does. People gave criticism, to which he greatly declined... goon mentality followed.

Pretty awesomely vague site.

It wasn't even that detailed. It was a picture of the app icon and then one screenshot from within the app, which often failed to give even the slightest idea of what the app was about. The "goon mentality" that followed was along the lines of "Hey, maybe you could tell us something about what the app, you know, does?", to which Grimbo responded by saying he didn't want to draw any conclusions for people, as "it's a horrid business".

The mocking that resulted from that is what drove him out of the thread and got the title changed to "Grimbo's blog is the new wiki".

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I'm having some kind of issue with Beautiful Widgets. Everything works great except my toggles. Every time I try to change the toggle skin or add another toggle it fucks up and says it has to "force close". Anyone else run into this? I'm on a HTC EVO 4G.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spixxor posted:

I'm having some kind of issue with Beautiful Widgets. Everything works great except my toggles. Every time I try to change the toggle skin or add another toggle it fucks up and says it has to "force close". Anyone else run into this? I'm on a HTC EVO 4G.

Make sure BW isn't installed to the SD card. Past that, get in touch with the dev. He's pretty responsive.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Penguissimo posted:

It wasn't even that detailed. It was a picture of the app icon and then one screenshot from within the app, which often failed to give even the slightest idea of what the app was about. The "goon mentality" that followed was along the lines of "Hey, maybe you could tell us something about what the app, you know, does?", to which Grimbo responded by saying he didn't want to draw any conclusions for people, as "it's a horrid business".

The mocking that resulted from that is what drove him out of the thread and got the title changed to "Grimbo's blog is the new wiki".

OK, so somewhere in between 'crap malware site or breeding ground for awesome Android stuff' :) gotcha

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Does anyone know of a Sense clock app clone? Not the widget, but the app that has alarms, a countdown and a stopwatch. It's one of the things I miss from Sense and I can't find an app that has all of these features.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh market...

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Steriletom posted:

Will Car Home ever be updated for ICS? Unless Google has decided to stop support for this app, it seems kind of ridiculous that it has not been updated yet.

I've been using Car Widget on my GN. You add a widget to your home screen instead of having a second car mode home screen. One of the themes copies Google Car Home very well so I don't miss the actual app at all.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.anod.car.home.free

Edit: Here's how I have mine set.

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 21, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Penguissimo posted:

Oh nooooo!!!!

I can't help but wonder if this is related. Should we be excited? Or scared?

Or...both?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Everyone loves Google Navigation right? Well I think it sucks, and I'm looking for alternatives. My problem with it is it's accuracy.

I live in an apartment complex that's in between two shopping complexes. Gnav is convinced that my address is around 50 yards away from where it actually is, so as soon as I turn into home it immediately tries to re-route to the complex. I know what you are thinking, to just turn it off, but I also have a worse problem when I leave from my house. Technically the roads I live on are on most GPS maps I've seen as a unnamed road, including Gnav but Gnav is convinced that the apartment is located in a subdivision that is actually a half mile from the nearest exit out of my apartment. My old phone a iPhone 3GS with MotionX GPS drive could tell that I was on the unnamed road and navigate out of the two exits I could take, depending on which direction I would ultimately take to my destination, so a Galaxy Nexus should be able to figure this out too.

What I'm afraid of is that most of the other GPS programs are going to take the easy way out like CoPilot seems to do and just become a front end to Gnav and have the same errors. Any suggestions so i don't keep wasting money for the same problems?

Ryokurin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 21, 2012

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

This isn't really addressing your question, but why do you even need navigation in the vicinity of your house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like Waze for GPS.

• Locked thread