Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Anal Tributary posted:

So because my Ikea tabletop is a piece of poo poo (protip: don't screw in the Galant cable organizer into a Vika particleboard top, regardless of if the Ikea salesmen say it'll be fine), when I press down on my normally silent Mac keyboard, it wobbles a bit and is apparently loud as poo poo, which pisses off anyone in an adjacent room. While I've been considering just saying gently caress it, embracing the loudness, and getting a mechanical keyboard, in the meantime I've been doing this to quiet it:

Problem is, the notebook of course slides around like crazy. Are there any rubber keyboard mats that can go under it to both hold it in place and silence it?

I got a gigantic mousepad from Office Depot that would probably work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Dominoes posted:

Gotcha. I made the realization a while back that my smartphone can't do anything my computer can't do better (other than GPS navigation) now that I can make calls and texts, and get messages from my computer. I still use the phone for checking messages while in a full-screen game.

How exactly do you do this?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I built a protools PC for my great-uncle, and he just sent me pics of his desktop setup (not sure what all this poo poo does, but it looks neat at least) :

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Anal Tributary posted:

So because my Ikea tabletop is a piece of poo poo (protip: don't screw in the Galant cable organizer into a Vika particleboard top, regardless of if the Ikea salesmen say it'll be fine), when I press down on my normally silent Mac keyboard, it wobbles a bit and is apparently loud as poo poo, which pisses off anyone in an adjacent room. While I've been considering just saying gently caress it, embracing the loudness, and getting a mechanical keyboard, in the meantime I've been doing this to quiet it:

Problem is, the notebook of course slides around like crazy. Are there any rubber keyboard mats that can go under it to both hold it in place and silence it?

Pretty sure you can get some pretty big faux leather desk pads from Ikea that would fit the bill, and keep the Swedish train rolling.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Anal Tributary posted:

I don't know where you'd get these from in the US as i'm in the UK but I've used some of these before:

They're like little sticky dots/feet which stops a HDMI switcher I have from sliding around on my stand and they work a treat. As I said not a clue where you would get them from but maybe you could get something like those?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

DanManIt posted:

How exactly do you do this?
Calls through Gmail, texts/receive voicemails through the Google Voice page. Contacts with Google Contacts, synced to phone.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anal Tributary posted:

I have a smaller one of these as a mousepad and it would probably work well to silence wobbliness (I think this one is massive--like 15" wide or so) http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-QcK-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B000UYCRQ6/ref=pd_cp_e_2

I like these over regular mouse pads because they're made out of a much thinner material.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

grumperfish posted:

I built a protools PC for my great-uncle, and he just sent me pics of his desktop setup (not sure what all this poo poo does, but it looks neat at least) :

I'm kind of surprised that he spent what I'm guessing is quite a bit of money and had you build him a PC. Normally people spending that level of money buy Macs, not because they're actually better at it, but because people think they are.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm kind of surprised that he spent what I'm guessing is quite a bit of money and had you build him a PC. Normally people spending that level of money buy Macs, not because they're actually better at it, but because people think they are.
He said he did some checking on that (when we were gathering requirements for the build) and apparently some of the people he worked with got Macs and weren't that impressed with them. He was running everything on an ancient P4 northwood (somehow) so the budget quad/16GB setup we ended up with was a pretty massive upgrade overall that he seems pretty thrilled with. Pushed him into getting an Intel SSD for the OS drive, which blew him away at least.

He's a bit older, so I don't think he really wanted to re-learn an OS since PC's were already working fine for him. Updated him to Windows7 at any rate, and other than a couple things with UAC that I had to help him with he's seemed to have figured it out.

This is the only pic he sent me of the equipment close-up, but I've asked him to send me a few more:

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 18, 2012

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Apple seems to have all but abandoned the high end media crowd.

See: Final Cut Pro launching without multi-camera support

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Comradephate posted:

Apple seems to have all but abandoned the high end media crowd.

See: Final Cut Pro launching without multi-camera support

Agreed, and their absolute hatred of the Mac Pro (although that can be more because processing is getting the point where it makes sense) and kind of scaling back of the Pro apps. I think their thinking is that there is lots more money in the "prosumer" market than in the full on Pro market. Or that they can meld the Pro into the Prosumer making them LOTS of money.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I vaguely remember reading that OSX had some set of something-or-others built into it that handled digital audio transcoding/streaming to DAWs better, but now that I type that sentence out, it seems like bullshit. That said, I know dick about OS engineering, so...

I use Windows to record music, and I have no problems that aren't the result of me being a poo poo musician.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Apparently the old G5 Macs had really, really well-tuned audio software packages that were the bee's knees, and the G5 worked pretty well on audio stuff. There are still die-hards and pros who will pay a lot of money for a well-functioning G5 because of that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ptier posted:

Agreed, and their absolute hatred of the Mac Pro (although that can be more because processing is getting the point where it makes sense) and kind of scaling back of the Pro apps. I think their thinking is that there is lots more money in the "prosumer" market than in the full on Pro market. Or that they can meld the Pro into the Prosumer making them LOTS of money.

Apple are pretty obviously banking on Thunderbolt to be the death-knell of the desktop mac tower- at least when it comes to storage and multi-monitor setups. Intel didn't come out with a processor that followed in the path set by the previous Mac Pro updates (at least based on what Apple wanted) in the last year, so Apple didn't update them (and also because they probably didn't give a poo poo)- resulting in a top-of-the-line iMac with a Sandy Bridge i7-quad registering the fastest clock speeds on a mac as of yet.

For the most part, having tons of cores becomes less important than having lots of processing speed and RAM for A/V stuff (this is particularly true when the version of Final Cut Pro worth using doesn't even support those 10 extra cores on your spec'd out Mac Pro). The biggest selling point the Mac Pro has for the A/V market is it's "expandability"- by virtue of its big RAM bay, 4 hot-swappable HDD bays, and 4 PCI E bays. Because of that, A/V people don't really need to blow several grand extra on 6/8/12-core computers (but lots of them do) when a base quad-core should at least suffice. The iMac can already take a lot of RAM and Thunderbolt promises to make the other three points something of a non-issue, albeit in the form of external RAID arrays and PCI E boxes from third-parties. Toss in a faster quad-core processor than the Xeon on the Mac Pro, a solid (though mobile) GPU with 2gb of RAM, and a 27" screen for a few hundred less than the tower alone and you have a legitimately compelling reason to ignore the Mac Pro- especially as a "prosumer."

And now that several third party companies have successfully gotten Thunderbolt notebooks working with desktop GPU's in external docks (in Windows at least, but all you need is an OSX driver to make it workable on OSX) it seems like the desktop might become redundant more quickly. Either that or Apple will just dump the pro market without an afterthought to chase after sweet iOS and Macbook Air money, kill their desktop line, and small companies will develop elaborate and expensive workarounds in order for set-in-their-ways editors to hold onto the Apple workstations they so desperately crave.

Of course, this is all largely speculation and wishful thinking since Thunderbolt's been out for almost a year and Apple have done gently caress-all to push for its wide adoption or get peripherals out there beyond "hey you can buy this 4-bay RAID box for $1,200 if you want."

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 19, 2012

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

FISHMANPET posted:

Pretty sure you can get some pretty big faux leather desk pads from Ikea that would fit the bill, and keep the Swedish train rolling.

Some of those gently caress with the wireless, though. I'm not sure if it affects all Ikea desk pads, but there was at least one that had a warning regarding wireless mice.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple are pretty obviously banking on Thunderbolt to be the death-knell of the desktop mac tower- at least when it comes to storage and multi-monitor setups. Intel didn't come out with a processor that followed in the path set by the previous Mac Pro updates (at least based on what Apple wanted) in the last year, so Apple didn't update them (and also because they probably didn't give a poo poo)- resulting in a top-of-the-line iMac with a Sandy Bridge i7-quad registering the fastest clock speeds on a mac as of yet.

For the most part, having tons of cores becomes less important than having lots of processing speed and RAM for A/V stuff (this is particularly true when the version of Final Cut Pro worth using doesn't even support those 10 extra cores on your spec'd out Mac Pro). The biggest selling point the Mac Pro has for the A/V market is it's "expandability"- by virtue of its big RAM bay, 4 hot-swappable HDD bays, and 4 PCI E bays. Because of that, A/V people don't really need to blow several grand extra on 6/8/12-core computers (but lots of them do) when a base quad-core should at least suffice. The iMac can already take a lot of RAM and Thunderbolt promises to make the other three points something of a non-issue, albeit in the form of external RAID arrays and PCI E boxes from third-parties. Toss in a faster quad-core processor than the Xeon on the Mac Pro, a solid (though mobile) GPU with 2gb of RAM, and a 27" screen for a few hundred less than the tower alone and you have a legitimately compelling reason to ignore the Mac Pro- especially as a "prosumer."

And now that several third party companies have successfully gotten Thunderbolt notebooks working with desktop GPU's in external docks (in Windows at least, but all you need is an OSX driver to make it workable on OSX) it seems like the desktop might become redundant more quickly. Either that or Apple will just dump the pro market without an afterthought to chase after sweet iOS and Macbook Air money, kill their desktop line, and small companies will develop elaborate and expensive workarounds in order for set-in-their-ways editors to hold onto the Apple workstations they so desperately crave.

Of course, this is all largely speculation and wishful thinking since Thunderbolt's been out for almost a year and Apple have done gently caress-all to push for its wide adoption or get peripherals out there beyond "hey you can buy this 4-bay RAID box for $1,200 if you want."

I agree with all of that. I think the thing that will push adoption is it being on PCs with the intro of Ivy Bridge. I think in the beginning as an add-on chip and then built into the die. One of the problems with TB adoption is the price of chips from Intel because they aren't dumping them into every board they make, they are charging an rear end and a leg for them. I want to see if happen for PCs (laptops) so that they can make a ton of hardware, make it cheaper and give us some mac drivers. I really just want one of those external boxes where I can plug a 3 monitor low power card into and get 3 external monitors on my 13" MBP. And if you get a "better" box that has some other PCI-E slots, you can start putting black magic or other AV cards in there completely negating the MacPro (I am ok with this).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

A couple of interesting audio interfaces with Thunderbolt have been announced so far at NAMM, including stuff from Apogee and UA.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ptier posted:

And if you get a "better" box that has some other PCI-E slots, you can start putting black magic or other AV cards in there completely negating the MacPro (I am ok with this).

I am too. I mean, you end up spending like 3 and a half grand at bare minimum on a Mac Pro editing rig as it is when you pop in RAM, a RAID card, a display, extra HDDs, and whatever other peripherals you want (external RAID bays= a lot more than that). A top-tier iMac or up-there MBP with an external TB RAID box is gonna run you at around that much anyway- with the added bonus that both of them are more portable (the iMac is *somewhat* more portable than a Mac pro?) and you can save your external box (and a grand) when you upgrade. As the tech improves I'll be glad to see less reasons to have a big tower.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A couple of interesting audio interfaces with Thunderbolt have been announced so far at NAMM, including stuff from Apogee and UA.

Yeah, but Apple hasn't done anything themselves aside from putting TB in their computers (except for the Mac Pro...you know, because there's no future there *wink wink) and saying "alright....uuh, here's the future of interfaces. Buy our laptops."

Anyway, this is a derail that does not belong in this thread. I'mma see if I take a picture of my "workspace" this weekend.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 20, 2012

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

:haw: CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Alexander Nevermind posted:

What mousepad is that? It looks like a steelseries, but what model specifically?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You have the same case, keyboard, and optical drive as me. I'm freakin out :psyduck:

Also possibly monitor but the bezel looks funky

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Why wouldn't you put that gigantic case on the floor?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

What mousepad is that? It looks like a steelseries, but what model specifically?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817114174

You can get it in XL, or XXL.

Dogen posted:

You have the same case, keyboard, and optical drive as me. I'm freakin out :psyduck:

Also possibly monitor but the bezel looks funky

Just borrowing your setup for awhile. :c00l:

You have an 800D to? Jesus I hate this case for the simple fact that it is too heavy.

Just for shits and giggles here is how shitacular my building skill is. SD1011s hooked up into my H100, and I couldn't screw in my screws all the way. It wouldn't let me for who knows why.:iamafag:

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Why wouldn't you put that gigantic case on the floor?
My carpet is way too thick and I hate having electronics on the floor.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh. No, I have a 650D. Looks similar.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

The 650D rules. I needed the clearance of the SD1011s and the H100, it wouldn't have worked with the 650D and my mobo from what I researched. If it did, I wouldn't be hulking around with an 800D.

I definitely want to go mATX the next time around.

BTW the monitor is a U2312HM. I really miss how the U2311h looked. :(

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

The 650D rules. I needed the clearance of the SD1011s and the H100, it wouldn't have worked with the 650D and my mobo from what I researched. If it did, I wouldn't be hulking around with an 800D.

I definitely want to go mATX the next time around.

BTW the monitor is a U2312HM. I really miss how the U2311h looked. :(

I love my 800D so much.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Glorious Cooler Master HAF 932 master race. Even with a monstrous video card and 6 hard drives there is definitely enough room in the tower to store a human baby.

I wish they didn't have such an ugly loving logo though.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

EvilMuppet posted:

I love my 800D so much.

Why's that? I mean it makes a great 2001: A Space Odyessey monolith prop.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Why's that? I mean it makes a great 2001: A Space Odyessey monolith prop.
How are those fans working out for you?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
poo poo...

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 20, 2012

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Wicaeed posted:

What's the general opinion of easy-style lacing (the metal laces with the wheel tighteners?) and Vans boots?

I'm trying to put together babbys first snowboard set on the cheap and ran across a dude selling a set of Vans Boa size 12 boots for 50 bucks.

[Giant loving image of weird boots]
They look to be in decent condition and about 75 bucks cheaper than anything I can find at PlayItAgain Sports.
Uhh..pretty sure you have the wrong thread.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

zero0ne posted:

That sounds somewhat creepy. Though that shouldn't talk much as I had this as my background for months.

That's amazing, do you have it in higher resolution?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Comradephate posted:

Glorious Cooler Master HAF 932 master race. Even with a monstrous video card and 6 hard drives there is definitely enough room in the tower to store a human baby.

I wish they didn't have such an ugly loving logo though.

I love my HAF932. I'm still pondering clipping the stupid LED leads and getting a shitload of 120mm fans to replace the gigantic 240mm's on the top and side though. So much harder to keep dust out when you can barely create positive pressure.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

grumperfish posted:

How are those fans working out for you?

See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=914AklVcOqs

LOL

Sentinel82
Apr 7, 2009
I'm looking to replace my desk and from what I've seen from everyone, the Galant is the way to go. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Corner desk left - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19836967/
Adding an extension right - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39843759/
I'm also looking at adding the shelf, cable management, and the computer holder.

I've got a couple of questions for those with more Galant experience than myself. First off, will that extension work on that desk? Based on the measurements listed on the site, they don't match. But, is the depth measurement for the desk the total depth, including the section on the left? Is the right side of the desk actually 31.5" deep (same size as the extension), or 47.25"

Also, are the cable management and computer holder extras worth a drat? They're only about $23 for both, so I'm curious if they're decent at all.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think the 47 1/4 refers to the total depth of the left part, i.e. not the part where the extension attaches, which should be 31 1/2. Wouldn't make sense otherwise. Google has this as an example. I think you're in the clear.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ikea-galant-modular-desk-right-corner-t-leg-black-brown-981973/

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Kind of cheating because I just cleaned the desk off today to set up the new monitors.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The desks in my office are fantastic. They're this sort of shape:

Normally it's just me and 1 other guy to my left on this pod, but in that particular picture we had people over from 2 other locations so there were about twice as many as normal.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I see Kayako. Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Sentinel82 posted:

Also, are the cable management and computer holder extras worth a drat? They're only about $23 for both, so I'm curious if they're decent at all.

The computer holder is really personal preference. Depending on the design of your case, it may reduce dust by a small amount. There are a few different cable management options from IKEA, and most are considered decent.