Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Seriously. Free performance on the table. The (nice) boards will even do all the heavy lifting for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know the timeline for IB-E is probably a year out, but is there any news at all if IB-E is/is-not going to be socket compatible with SB-E?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

incoherent posted:

Seriously. Free performance on the table. The (nice) boards will even do all the heavy lifting for you.

Wait, there was heavy lifting involved?

Maybe if you want to go for 4.5+

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Chuu posted:

I know the timeline for IB-E is probably a year out, but is there any news at all if IB-E is/is-not going to be socket compatible with SB-E?

Scuttlebutt from the Googles says it will be.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

HalloKitty posted:

Wait, there was heavy lifting involved?

Maybe if you want to go for 4.5+

He was just saying the better boards (I just got an Asus P68Z68-V) literally do push button overclocking on Sandy Bridge. I got the Cooler Master Hyper 212 and clicked two things in the BIOS and have been running stable at 4.4GHz for about 3 weeks now. It was the easiest overclocking experience I've ever had.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mayodreams posted:

He was just saying the better boards (I just got an Asus P68Z68-V) literally do push button overclocking on Sandy Bridge. I got the Cooler Master Hyper 212 and clicked two things in the BIOS and have been running stable at 4.4GHz for about 3 weeks now. It was the easiest overclocking experience I've ever had.

I have the same board (P8Z68-V Pro). Maybe we're just spoilt.

I was basically just trying to highlight how easy it is to do a small overclock on Sandy Bridge. Christ, I even found it very easy on earlier Core 2 platforms as well.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
I'm considering an upgrade in the next couple of weeks from an ancient Core2 e5200 to a 2500k system. If I get a less expensive MB, what speeds could I expect to safely overclock to? I'm not too worried about pushing it to its absolute limits, just a bit of extra speed with the stock cooling setup, etc.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vectorwulf posted:

I'm considering an upgrade in the next couple of weeks from an ancient Core2 e5200 to a 2500k system. If I get a less expensive MB, what speeds could I expect to safely overclock to? I'm not too worried about pushing it to its absolute limits, just a bit of extra speed with the stock cooling setup, etc.

On stock I used 3.8ghz just fine, but it's all going to depend on what you're comfortable with. Your temps may be different than mine for idle and gaming (if you do that).

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Vectorwulf posted:

4.0ghz with a single change in BIOS, depending on the board. Higher if you go with a cheap cooler like the 212+/EVO.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Vectorwulf posted:

Really depends on just how cheap you go on the motherboard. Honestly, with a component that important, why scrimp? You don't have to go nuts with it and get a ROG board or a Sabertooth like I did, because you're probably not going for a super high clock so you probably don't need ridiculously good power delivery...

But cheapest boards generally have a lot of corners cut besides just the 4-phase VRM. Consider that next to the power supply, the motherboard is the one thing that can kill everything in your system if it goes wrong. Consider that the price difference between a crap one and a good one is about $30-$40, because a lot of the advanced features are unnecessary for a majority of users so you don't have to go with the Deluxe or the Pro or whatever... You just want a board that has solid power delivery, uses good parts for important areas, and has quality passive cooling. I'm definitely an Asus fan at this point, I've used Asus boards for three out of three of my last builds and love them. That's an anecdote, not data, it turns out that Asus actually has a slightly higher return rate, according to what sparse info we have access to, but it's still not exceptional or damning or anything. I like Asus because I can tell you how to do a one-step overclock on an Asus motherboard, and they've got Sandy Bridge totally down at this point. Super stable BIOSes.

MSI makes great boards too, I don't "get" Gigabyte's boards personally. Too fiddly. Asrock is sort of budget Asus, and generally have 4-phase VRM which will limit your overclocking, but there's one Asrock board in particular that Factory Factory could tell you off the top of his head that runs a really good price but has especially nice power delivery and features, too. I wish I could remember the name, sorry.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Thanks for the input! Hope no one minds, but I posted this as my planned upgrade list in another thread:

8gb Ram
$29.99

i5-2500K
$179.99

GA-Z68AP-D3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
$109.99

Microcenter has so far been amazing about warranties/returns if something goes wrong. But is that motherboard going to be a bad deal? I'm still pretty fresh at PC building, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some key feature I'm overlooking.

*ninja edit: I currently have a fully functioning LGA775 system, and am planning on just upgrading those bits for the time being.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That motherboard is bizarre (serial and parallel? mSATA on a desktop?) and terrible. As Agreed mentioned, the motherboard is the backbone of your system, so if you cheap out and get a crappy one it doesn't matter how good the rest of the parts you're plugging into it are. If you have any interest in possibly overclocking you don't want to buy a board with only a low-end 4-phase VRM setup, and Gigabyte has an exceptional record for bad power delivery even on their high-end boards.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Gigabyte is fine (and practically a requirement if you ever want to try OS X) and having serial/parallel/msata is a little fruity but doesn't hurt anything.

That said I'd put another $50 on top for a -UD3 board rather than the budget level one you linked. Can never have too many USB ports or audio jacks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I have the same board (P8Z68-V Pro). Maybe we're just spoilt.

I was basically just trying to highlight how easy it is to do a small overclock on Sandy Bridge. Christ, I even found it very easy on earlier Core 2 platforms as well.

I have the same board as you both and I love extolling the virtues. The software is awesome and not bloaty.

Also those thunderbolt ports are going to be insanely expensive.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

~Coxy posted:

Gigabyte is fine
The rest is debatable, but Gigabyte is certainly not "fine," at least not for Intel platforms. I've posted in detail about this before, but Gigabyte boards have absolutely abysmal power delivery to the CPU, and when combined with the default settings in the BIOS sends dangerously high voltage spikes to the CPU. Basically, when a CPU is heavily loaded, the power demands cause the CPU core voltage (vCore) to drop below the nominal value, which is called vDroop. Gigabyte tries to make their boards look like they have less vDroop by raising the voltage when the CPU is under load (other brands do this too, but no one takes it to the extreme Gigabyte does). The problem with this is that when the CPU load drops off, the voltage spikes up to beyond the maximum value the CPU can tolerate, resulting in a crash, hang, or reboot. For awhile the parts picking megathread had Gigabyte boards recommended for Intel CPUs, and the Haus of Tech Support was filled with people who bought Gigabyte boards and had power delivery issues. Sometimes it was fixable by updating the BIOS and disabling the power-save features the minimize the swing between load and idle, but some people just had to switch motherboard brands.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've had issues with Gigabyte boards in testing our production PCIe card, their slots don't adhere to the spec all that well. It had some seriously weird behaviour that was a beast to characterize. It's been the only manufacturer we've had problems with, not even the cheaper Asrock stuff has given any issues.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Gigabyte has also repeatedly had problems with AHCI support. For example, Anandtech ran into some here. A couple weeks ago someone in the SSD thread had to go through a lot of song and dance to get their boot time to squeak in under a minute.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
All this talk about motherboards is making me rethink my decision. I was recommended this one:
ASRock H61M-GS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I was a bit wary about such a good price but was told not to write it off just because it was cheap. It seems no different from the more expensive Extreme3 Gen3 (which was my first choice) except it has no PCI slots, but I don't have any PCI cards anyway. Is this board going to be okay?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WardeL posted:

All this talk about motherboards is making me rethink my decision. I was recommended this one:

I was a bit wary about such a good price but was told not to write it off just because it was cheap. It seems no different from the more expensive Extreme3 Gen3 (which was my first choice) except it has no PCI slots, but I don't have any PCI cards anyway. Is this board going to be okay?

The H61 chipset doesn't have SATA 6Gbps, which you might not care about at all

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

WardeL posted:

You aren't going to be able to overclock. Are you okay with that?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wedesdo posted:

You aren't going to be able to overclock. Are you okay with that?

He said earlier in the thread that he didn't give the tiniest poo poo about overclocking, so I guess that's not a concern.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

HalloKitty posted:

He said earlier in the thread that he didn't give the tiniest poo poo about overclocking, so I guess that's not a concern.

In that case he might as well get this if it comes back in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135288&Tpk=N82E16813135288

$30.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Wedesdo posted:

In that case he might as well get this if it comes back in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135288&Tpk=N82E16813135288

$30.

Even given that it's pretty much as cheap as it gets, the amount of technology that goes into making that, and its sophistication, blows my goddamned mind. An entry level guitar which is basically just a few pieces of wood stuck together with simple machines runs $250-$300 if you don't want to have problems with tuning all the time, but you can get an incredibly sophisticated, carefully engineered piece of advanced technology for $30.

:aaa:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mayodreams posted:

I am really pissed about the lack of Thunderbolt devices right now. Apple has been shipping machines with it since like April, and the only things we have available are expensive storage solutions, one video interface, and the Apple Cinema Display. I am dying for the dock that Belkin demoed over the summer that has more USB ports, Firewire 400/800, and a Gigabit Ethernet connection. I'd even settle for just a TB to gigabit adapter for my MBA because the wireless only is killing me.

I hope that whatever issues are causing a lot of delays in these products clears up before TB goes to a wider audience because it is not off to a good start.

It's really expensive. We looked into adding Thunderbolt to some of our products and it was basically going to increase the MSRP by $100...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MeramJert posted:

It's really expensive. We looked into adding Thunderbolt to some of our products and it was basically going to increase the MSRP by $100...

What kind of prices were you quoted for the controller ICs? Obviously your product already has PCIe/DP on it, I'm curious as to what the major integrating cost was, if you can discuss it without breaking NDA.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I wonder about this quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5351/msis-z77-ivy-bridge-motherboards-at-ces-now-with-thunderbolt-support

quote:

MSI doesn't have an estimate on pricing yet but I'm hearing that the Thunderbolt controller should add another $20 - $30 on average to any design.
Just a mixup of consumer price vs manufacturer cost semantics?

Then there's one of the Blackmagic video boxes for $240, vs $200 for the USB 3 version...ignoring the $50 TB cable you still have to get on top of that.

And there's the MSI PCIe box: http://pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/CES-2012-MSI-GUS-II-External-Thunderbolt-Graphics-Upgrade-System

quote:

MSI mentioned they were hopeful the price would be in the $150 range which is actually quite a good surprise considering they are going to be including the Thunderbolt cable in the box - an accessory that is notoriously expensive today. 

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 19, 2012

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

movax posted:

What kind of prices were you quoted for the controller ICs? Obviously your product already has PCIe/DP on it, I'm curious as to what the major integrating cost was, if you can discuss it without breaking NDA.

Basically what the guy above me quoted, adding the controller ICs was in the area of $25, which for us translates into about $100 MSRP increase in our products. We weren't even going to include a cable, which are also insanely expensive...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MeramJert posted:

Basically what the guy above me quoted, adding the controller ICs was in the area of $25, which for us translates into about $100 MSRP increase in our products. We weren't even going to include a cable, which are also insanely expensive...

Ahh, gotcha. We take care of our external PCIe needs right now via fiber, and that works well for us. TB would drive our cost super high and we wouldn't even touch its DP capability.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's so special to the TB cables, that they're so expensive?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's so special to the TB cables, that they're so expensive?
There's an article about it here. There's a Thunderbolt transciever at both ends of the cable, ostensibly to improve signal integrity. I think that explanation is bullshit because DisplayPort and HDMI push video at about the same bitrate through a passive cable with no problem. If I was being cynical I would say that it's so Intel can sell two of their fancy VCSEL optical transcievers for each optical Thunderbolt cable they sell.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Alereon posted:

I think that explanation is bullshit because DisplayPort and HDMI push video at about the same bitrate through a passive cable with no problem.

No, they don't. DisplayPort 1.2, which barely anything can support yet, only pushes 4.32Gb/s, and HDMI 1.3/1.4 can only support a lethargic 3.4Gb/s. They achieve better throughput by having 3-4 lanes at that bitrate.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah although high data rates are in the spec, few devices use them other than Thunderbolt stuff.

Also Thunderbolt as Light Peak was originally designed along the lines of completely different connections and then shoehorned into copper and the mini-Displayport jack.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Also, putting the transceiver in the cable allows the user to choose between fiber optic or copper for transmitting the signal. Right now the only choice is copper, but Intel definitely wants fiber to be an option, and this lets the current TB spec to be compatible.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There were some other TB cables at CES but no pricing mentioned.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
What sort of display settings would you need to hit the limits of current HDMI?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Vectorwulf posted:

What sort of display settings would you need to hit the limits of current HDMI?

HDMI 1.4 can handle 4096x2160 @ 24 Hz (digital cinema), 3840x1260 @ 30 Hz (quad HD), or 2560x1600 @ 75 Hz.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12302/

quote:

Intel has formally announced a new program called the Performance Tuning Protection Plan (PTPP), which provides full warranty protection for select “K”, “X”, and LGA2011-socketed boxed processors processors no matter how you kill it. This is in addition to your standard 3 year warranty. In other words, if it fails under normal usage, Intel will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, Intel will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. The plan pricing and supported processors include:

Intel Core i5-2500K - $20.00
Intel Core i7-2600K - $25.00
Intel Core i7-2700K - $25.00
Intel Core i7-3930K - $35.00
Intel Core i7-3960X - $35.00

haha this is going to be awesome. The flood gates of stupid will be opened now that people have this kind of safety net.

And finally Intel offers something that the extreme community won't bitch about!

edit - Oh never mind it's not that generous :(

quote:

Exclusions to Coverage. This Plan does NOT cover:

Any costs associated with the removal of the Eligible Processor and/or installation of the replacement, including without limitation, labor, damages to the system, downtime, or any consequential costs incurred by you, and in particular, any costs related to the removal or replacement of any Eligible Processor that is soldered or otherwise permanently affixed to any printed circuit board; OR
Damage to the Eligible Processor due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing; OR
Any Eligible Processor which has been modified or where the original proprietary markings (trademark, logo or serial number) have been removed, altered or obliterated from the Eligible Processor; OR
Damage to any other component(s) within the system housing the Eligible Processor or the replacement processor.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 20, 2012

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You're going to have to explicitly and physically abuse the processor in order to invalidate this protection plan. If there are no defects that are visible (i.e. BURN MARKS) you are quite literally in the clear.

:lol: gigabyte protection plan.

E: Think of it this way: If you've never done overclocking, or you've done due diligence on the capabilities of your processor but were afraid to push it to that limit this is the plan for you.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 20, 2012

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Hum my new h100 is coming. Tempted to jack my 2500K up to 1.42V and see if I can get 5 GHz.

What's the max safe voltage for a sandy bridge again? I heard ~1.45 is okay on water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wedesdo posted:

Hum my new h100 is coming. Tempted to jack my 2500K up to 1.42V and see if I can get 5 GHz.

What's the max safe voltage for a sandy bridge again? I heard ~1.45 is okay on water?

How you're cooling it doesn't matter, you're still battering 32nm silicon with a higher voltage. Water cooling may do better at heat transfer though, and that pays off with the extra heat generated from your higher voltage.