Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm no qualified expert on the available tablets, but my Xoom has been awesome, and even more so with the ICS upgrade that I got yesterday.

I really don't understand why Android tablets aren't taking off. Whenever I go to trade shows or conferences, all of my iPad-wielding colleagues marvel over my Xoom. With my entire life on Google, and especially on Android 4.0, I can dual-wield my GNex and Xoom like the liquid-metal extensions of my body that they are.

It's always funny when I get irritated that there's an iPad app for a streaming video website, but not an Android one. I always feel stupid when I realize I can watch that poo poo in the browser like I'm on a normal laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm no qualified expert on the available tablets, but my Xoom has been awesome, and even more so with the ICS upgrade that I got yesterday.

I really don't understand why Android tablets aren't taking off. Whenever I go to trade shows or conferences, all of my iPad-wielding colleagues marvel over my Xoom. With my entire life on Google, and especially on Android 4.0, I can dual-wield my GNex and Xoom like the liquid-metal extensions of my body that they are.

It's always funny when I get irritated that there's an iPad app for a streaming video website, but not an Android one. I always feel stupid when I realize I can watch that poo poo in the browser like I'm on a normal laptop

you say they marvel over your Xoom. What are the specific advantages they cite? Also, you're not having issues with flash implementation in ICS?

Also, unrelated, why are you "dual-wielding" a phone and a tablet? Not understanding why this would be necessary.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

El Duke posted:

Also, unrelated, why are you "dual-wielding" a phone and a tablet? Not understanding why this would be necessary.

Personally l "dual wield" my phone and tablet to share 4G from my phone to the tablet.

My iPad using friends really like the notification system on the Xoom and quick access controls to airplane mode, wifi on/off, play/pause on music. I wouldn't say they marvel over the device though, the stuttering that sometimes occurs during homescreen transitions is enough to turn them off. At least with ICS this doesn't happen often anymore.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 21, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Glimm posted:

Personally I'll "dual wield" my phone and tablet to share 4G from my phone to the tablet.

Yeah, but you're not using them at the same time, correct? That seemed to be the implication of Fryhtaning.

Then again what he said sounded like copy from a shooting script for a VZW Droid commercial, so who knows, maybe he meant it literally.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 20, 2012

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

El Duke posted:

Yeah, but you're not using them at the same time, correct? That seemed to be the implication of Fryhtaning.

Then again what he said sounded like copy from a shooting script for a VZW Droid commercial, so who knows, maybe he it literally.

Oh good point, now that I've re-read his post it seems he was subtly (or not so subtly) mocking those ridiculous commercials.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm writing this on Xoom with the new ICS update and, lo and behold, there's no keyboard lag. It's dumb that it took a full scale update to fix this, but the improvement is incredible. But now my keyboard makes so much noise when I type and turning off touch sounds hasn't done anything. Anyone know how to get my silent keyboard back? Other than that I haven't noticed a difference beyond a general snappiness to everything. Like Adobe, I got over Flash a while back.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

What have other Prime users done to secure their microsd card from falling out?
They fall out? I've got one in mine right now and it's hard to put in and take out as it is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TildeATH posted:

Other than that I haven't noticed a difference beyond a general snappiness to everything.

It's kind of dumb it's taken Google this frigging long to add 2d hardware acceleration to Android like desktop OSes have had since about 1995, but I'm certainly glad they did. :)

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

fondue posted:

They fall out? I've got one in mine right now and it's hard to put in and take out as it is.

If I were to drop mine in my bag with the MicroSD slot on the bottom side, it's possible for it to get pushed in, and have it pop out into my bag.

I either put it in headphone-jack side down, or put it in carefully so it doesn't pop out.

EDIT: If anyone cares, Transformer Primes appear to be readily available from Amazon at this point.

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 20, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fondue posted:

It sticks out when its inserted, so if you set it down and it pushes it in, and then you lift up the tablet it can fall out without you noticing it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

feedmegin posted:

It's kind of dumb it's taken Google this frigging long to add 2d hardware acceleration to Android like desktop OSes have had since about 1995, but I'm certainly glad they did. :)

Android Tablet Thread: It's Kind of Dumb.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

TildeATH posted:

Android Tablet Thread: It's Kind of Dumb.

Android Tablet Threat: My god it's full of choices

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

raruler posted:

The illusion of choice.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
:siren:Attention to those who bought their Transformer Primes from BestBuy.com: :siren:

MicroCenter currently has the Prime available and on sale for $449. I was able to get a $50 price match from Best Buy.

Also, if you don't have a prime you can get one for $449 from MicroCenter!

Edit: I added sirens cause this could be pretty helpful and I didn't want others to miss it.

Jewce fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 20, 2012

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Frozen-Solid posted:

Helpful pictures of your screen from the last thread

Just want to say thanks for posting those pictures Frozen-Solid. I was going to post my own, but it is clear from your pics that I only have minor light bleed on the right hand side of the screen.

With the $50 price match from Best Buy it's pretty much dumb for me to return my tablet cause a bit of light bleed that I hardly ever notice. That being said, I still want to and it still bugs me that I know my screen isn't perfect. Oh well, I'm happy overall.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wandler20 posted:

I sent my Xoom off to Verizon to get the 4g upgrade today (put that off far too long). Any chance they will put ICS on it for me? Also, what's the average turnaround on the upgrade?

Ha, you are me. I just got my fedex box today.

When my coworker sent his in, he dropped it off EOD Friday and had it back 9am Weds morning and that was during the rush. So, the turnaround should be pretty quick.

I don't think you'll have ICS on it. It's done but is going through Verizon testing right now. You can always root and install it yourself (you can download the binary directly from google's code page) but I doubt it will be very long now.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Jewce posted:

Just want to say thanks for posting those pictures Frozen-Solid. I was going to post my own, but it is clear from your pics that I only have minor light bleed on the right hand side of the screen.

No problem, glad I could help!

The MicroCenter price match didn't work for me, as the only ones anywhere near me are 2-4 hours away. Best Buy said they can only match local stores :(

I got my wii remote hooked up with a classic controller to my Prime last night, and was enjoying some sweet sweet portable NES/SNES action. Is there anything a good Android tablet CAN'T do?

Here's a question for the people who tether:

If I turn on tethering on my phone, and connect my prime to it, and just leave it on all the time... does it drain the battery? Or will it only drain the battery as long as the tethering is actively being used to send data across it? Is there a way to prioritize networks over each other? If I leave tethering on all the time, it'd be nice for it to automatically switch to my work wifi or my home wifi.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Best Buy is selling the Acer A200 for $350:

http://phandroid.com/2012/01/20/best-buy-now-stocking-the-acer-iconia-a200-for-349/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer%20...ID=s9644iwo7itl

10" Android tablets down to $350 is a nice price point. Got my A500 for $275 locally but for a retail price this is pretty good.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

raruler posted:

Android Tablet Threat: My god it's full of iTrolls

Has anyone with a 1st Gen Transformer had the tilt sensor and compass stop working? I unrooted mine so I could exchange it and it started working after the preparatory wipe and reinstall.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

TildeATH posted:

But now my keyboard makes so much noise when I type and turning off touch sounds hasn't done anything. Anyone know how to get my silent keyboard back?

Settings -> Input and Keyboard -> Keyboard settings icon

You can also jump straight to that page by tapping the Keyboard settings icon on the keyboard whilst its open.

Hardest part of learning ICS is adapting to the fact that there's actual UX design now, so things are where you'd actually expect them to be.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 21, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Glimm posted:

Personally l "dual wield" my phone and tablet to share 4G from my phone to the tablet.

My iPad using friends really like the notification system on the Xoom and quick access controls to airplane mode, wifi on/off, play/pause on music. I wouldn't say they marvel over the device though, the stuttering that sometimes occurs during homescreen transitions is enough to turn them off. At least with ICS this doesn't happen often anymore.

Yup, although to be fair you could dual wield a GNex and an iPad too. All your theories on my intentions were sorta right - just a rare exceptionally goony moment for me as a whole.

Most of these people are techies and have Blackberries or Android phones, but iPads as their tablet simply because it is the "mainstream" choice. Goonwife's artsy friends probably wouldn't see the appeal like they do. But yeah, notifications and quick switch options are big ones. Also the quick program switching similar to alt+tab, and the fact that it is a 10.1" version of what they love about their Droids, et al. Better GMail and calendar integration. Widgets. SD card slot for large file transportation.

A little stuttering isn't very annoying when you're a PC user anyway... we're used to it.

Also, my first avatar! :swoon: It's like Chrimbus all over again!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Ferg posted:

Glad they fixed the typing speed issue. I've noticed it's totally fine on my Galaxy Nexus but I didn't want to get my hopes up and see it still sucking on my tablet. I can't believe that one made it out of Google's QA department.

I honestly thought it was just an issue with Xooms in particular, but the fact that it was OS-wide AND that they never bothered to fix it is what drove me to use your fine work on the Awful App. Despite the browser humming along now, I will continue to use Awful because it somehow feels more "right" for the tablet -- and phone!

Thanks for your continued drive to improve and update it. My Xoom and I are in your debt.

wandler20 posted:

I sent my Xoom off to Verizon to get the 4g upgrade today (put that off far too long). Any chance they will put ICS on it for me? Also, what's the average turnaround on the upgrade?

I'm pretty sure the only update for Xooms right now is straight from Google (read: Wi-Fi only), though it must clearly be in Verizon's hands now if the vanilla version has been pushed out. Did Verizon add any bloat, or did they just get the option to sell a system with a 3G/4G radio inside?

El Duke posted:

Also, you're not having issues with flash implementation in ICS?

I believe if you uninstall the old version of Flash and grab the new one, it fixes any issues. For me, sites now run BETTER in ICS than they did in Honeycomb, but that's probably placebo. I can't get over how much better this font is...

Text correction and cut/paste are much better too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SamBishop posted:

Did Verizon add any bloat, or did they just get the option to sell a system with a 3G/4G radio inside?

The later. We're pretty much probably only waiting for for Verizon to clear google to push the update after they do their testing. Google is the source of updates for both the wifi and 3G/4G. As I mentioned previously, Google has posted the update binary for both versions under their page for reference devices.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fryhtaning posted:

It's nice when you have what amounts to reference hardware, but how many non-Nexus/Xoom models do you see people use and enjoying? A few, but not many and not in any great number.

Everyone around here knows to buy ASUS (or Xoom, I guess) and I'm sure they'll make a loving fortune off of us considering that they can't drive those Chinese child laborers hard enough to take our money as quickly as we want to give it to them. But people don't like having to do homework on their electronics purchases and a lot of the technology (ahem, NVidia) seems to be named by the same marketing folks who came up with naming Sony's HDTV processors "Bravia Engine 2" and "Bravia Engine 3" without telling anyone what the difference is.

My LCD TVs are the only thing exceeding Android hardware where I see so much marketing bullshit and have to ask the user community to tell me what the facts are.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Glimm posted:

I wanted to do this but didn't want to burn the extra proficiency. Maybe when I switch classes.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

It's nice when you have what amounts to reference hardware, but how many non-Nexus/Xoom models do you see people use and enjoying? A few, but not many and not in any great number.

That's kind of an unfair comparison. Apple is Apple - you only have the flagship products of each line, with few options beyond color and differing amounts of storage. You can't compare the $100 tablets to the iPad just because it has an Android operating system on it. If Apple opened up their tablet OS to anyone who'd pay for a license, you'd see all kinds of lovely Apple tablets as well. But that won't happen, because Apple (smartly for them, at least) has a specific image to preserve. It's only fair to compare the models made by major manufacturers that are meant to compete directly with the iPad, just like only the flagship Android phones should be compared with the iPhone.

Craptacular! posted:

Everyone around here knows to buy ASUS (or Xoom, I guess) and I'm sure they'll make a loving fortune off of us considering that they can't drive those Chinese child laborers hard enough to take our money as quickly as we want to give it to them. But people don't like having to do homework on their electronics purchases and a lot of the technology (ahem, NVidia) seems to be named by the same marketing folks who came up with naming Sony's HDTV processors "Bravia Engine 2" and "Bravia Engine 3" without telling anyone what the difference is.

My LCD TVs are the only thing exceeding Android hardware where I see so much marketing bullshit and have to ask the user community to tell me what the facts are.

I'm not quite sure I follow 100%, since most of what I listed are Android OS-specific, aside from the fact that there is an SD card slot. Granted, it wasn't released on day 1 with the ability to use the card, but they added that in not too long after. I think for any multi-hundred dollar purchase you should be doing your homework anyway. I wouldn't buy a car based just on what the Ford salesman says, and I wouldn't buy an iPad from the Apple store or a Droid Razr from the Verizon store in similar circumstances. Maybe a Best Buy where all devices are sold equally, and IF the salesperson is extremely knowledgeable about all options.

In any case, the Xoom's hardware is technically dead even with the iPad2's, which came out much later... and even a little bit better. It's not any kind of marketing spin - http://www.techwhizz.com/apples-ipad-2-motorola-xoom-hardware-specs-comparison/

Besides, why are Android and "marketing bullshit" in the same sentence when we're talking about a product that is only comparable with an iPad? Apple is the very model of (granted, smart) marketing. If anything, tablets like the Xoom should have had a hell of a lot more marketing, because it's an awesome device that obliterates the iPad, in my mind, if you are a Google/Android user in general.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 21, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else have this kind of "pitting" on their Primes?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Pitting%201.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Pitting%202.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Pitting%203.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Pictures/Photos/Prime/Pitting%204.jpg

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
No, and that's the first I've ever seen anything like that. Did it come like that or did it happen some how? I have read that the back cover is made of pretty soft metal and scratches rather easily.

VVV I'd take it back to the retailer if you can for an exchange ASAP.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 21, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It came like that I assume. I only really started paying attention to it today, however I did notice it when I first opened my Prime up. I had first thought it had come from the microfiber cloth, but realized it wasn't going away after I wiped it down twice with two paper towels(white color) sprayed in glass/surface cleaner. I had taken these pictures after I had wiped it down.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 21, 2012

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SamBishop posted:

I honestly thought it was just an issue with Xooms in particular, but the fact that it was OS-wide AND that they never bothered to fix it is what drove me to use your fine work on the Awful App. Despite the browser humming along now, I will continue to use Awful because it somehow feels more "right" for the tablet -- and phone!

Thanks for your continued drive to improve and update it. My Xoom and I are in your debt.

True fact: that bug is why I ported Awful to tablets so quickly. It's also just plain faster than the browser anyways now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fryhtaning posted:

That's kind of an unfair comparison. Apple is Apple
I didn't mention Apple in my post at all. I didn't even imply Apple, I only spoke of Android products and my impression of them. I was pretty careful to omit Apple entirely.

quote:

You can't compare the $100 tablets to the iPad just because it has an Android operating system on it.
Didn't intend to do that, either. I'm talking about the Acer/Asus/Motorola/Samsung/Toshiba world, since they all have 10" devices with similar hardware.

My point is that your phone has ICS, and your tablet has ICS, and you're wondering why nobody else is doing this. The issue is there's only two groups of people "dual wielding" Ice Cream Sandwich:

* You
* Google Employees

ICS is brand new and a lot of people talking about it can't actually use it. My point is that you are using the two devices that put you closest to Google in terms of support and no manufacturing middleman, and when you do that you discount the experience of people using hardware with a manufacturer in the middle.

I'm only bringing this up because I loved Android until a few weeks ago when I gave up my Nexus One for a Samsung i777 where ICS will only be deployed at AT&T's whims. The hardware's too good for me to go back to the N1, but watching the ICS rollout on tablets did make me recognize that it's not manufacturers, but the phone companies who make software support a year late and ten dollars short.

As for tablets, Honeycomb was so rough that Google didn't want to release code. Again, no fair wondering why everyone isn't hanging out on the bleeding edge.

quote:

I'm not quite sure I follow 100%, since most of what I listed are Android OS-specific
What I was saying was that your wife will love the Tegra 2 processor.

I'm pretty fuckin' nerdy, and I didn't really know whether that was good or not since I don't really follow mobile processors like Tegra, Snapdragon, etc. I saw "dual-core" and assumed it must be alright, but the focus on specs only loses people if they don't have some way to measure progress. In the Pentium Age it was the "more megahertz = better" thing (which Apple strongly objected to since their RISC processors did more in a clock cycle.) Now it seems to be "more cores = better".

Boasting of specs is the kind of thing that is interesting to people who view tablets as a computer instead of an appliance. Most people are viewing it as an appliance if only due to how few hardware modifications are available, and thus they are amazed and confused by your Xoom because whatever you are showing them is something they aren't getting in commercials or marketing media.

quote:

Besides, why are Android and "marketing bullshit" in the same sentence when we're talking about a product that is only comparable with an iPad?
Apple's marketing is clear, the assorted Android adverts are less so, and information is even more opaque due to the manufacturers trying to differentiate themselves. Televisions have the same problem. Take the 240hz refresh rate feature that's standard on most premium LCD panels. It's called AutoMotion Plus on my Samsung, and my Sony has two features called Motionflow and Cinemotion, and I don't even remember what the difference between those two are. Some people on AVSForum called Sony to ask, and they had to contact the TV engineers because they didn't know either.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Some people on AVSForum called Sony to ask, and they had to contact the TV engineers because they didn't know either.

They should have called the marketing department since I doubt the engineers even knew

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

We're good - I understand where you're coming from on all notes much better now.

Craptacular! posted:

I didn't mention Apple in my post at all. I didn't even imply Apple, I only spoke of Android products and my impression of them. I was pretty careful to omit Apple entirely.

Of course, but what else is there to compare it to? Blackberry? Palm OS? The measuring stick in the entire mobile OS world for the foreseeable future is Android vs iOS, so it's just natural for things to end up as a comparison. Otherwise how do you judge something that's still very revolutionary?

Craptacular! posted:

My point is that your phone has ICS, and your tablet has ICS, and you're wondering why nobody else is doing this. The issue is there's only two groups of people "dual wielding" Ice Cream Sandwich:

ICS is brand new and a lot of people talking about it can't actually use it. My point is that you are using the two devices that put you closest to Google in terms of support and no manufacturing middleman, and when you do that you discount the experience of people using hardware with a manufacturer in the middle.

I've had a GNex since Dec 20 and ICS on my Xoom since Thursday, so my experiences here haven't had anything to do with ICS. I had a Droid with CM7 and a Xoom with Honeycomb during most of my experiences. Honeycomb wasn't perfect, but it did everything I wanted it to. ICS has just taken things up a notch with things such as better gallery integration and bookmarks being native to the browser, to name a couple.

But I hear where you're coming from with taking issue with the "me too" Android tablet manufacturers themselves. I guess I'm just lucky in that I got mine early enough and avoided the noise of the rest and went straight for the only one that looked comparable to what is undeniably the de facto standard, the iPad.

Craptacular! posted:

Apple's marketing is clear, the assorted Android adverts are less so, and information is even more opaque due to the manufacturers trying to differentiate themselves. Televisions have the same problem. Take the 240hz refresh rate feature that's standard on most premium LCD panels. It's called AutoMotion Plus on my Samsung, and my Sony has two features called Motionflow and Cinemotion, and I don't even remember what the difference between those two are. Some people on AVSForum called Sony to ask, and they had to contact the TV engineers because they didn't know either.

That's commonplace for any product that many people make. How many different names are out there for what Starbucks calls a frappuccino? Apple's is only clear because they're the only manufacturer of products that use iOS, and if you're in it with Apple, you don't have to know things such as "NAS", which the rest of the world uses - it's just "Time Capsule".

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I found my first MAJOR complaint with the Prime, and I'm not even sure if it's something I should even be complaining about but holy gently caress this bugs me.

I can't charge the Prime via USB on my laptop. I don't know why, it just doesn't charge. I plug it in, and see no charging icon. I also tried charging it in my car using a car plug -> USB jack and it didn't work. THEN I got out my mini power inverter, plugged the USB cable into the wall jack, then plugged that into the inverter, and that actually works. I even tried plugging my Kindle's wall jack USB box thing, and that won't charge the Prime either. There's got to be something special about that stupid ASUS power box, which is really loving stupid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, the OG Transformer won't charge with anything but the included charger, either. Your computer does not output enough power over USB to charge it (though I was told that the Transformer will trickle charge very slowly through your PC if you leave the screen off and have it at idle). I'm not sure if other, extra powerful wall chargers will work.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
So far, I've mostly used my Prime for reading comics and books via the Kindle app/Mort Audio Book player. I noticed that I can get significant battery life improvements by going into eco mode, turning off wifi, the gyro sensor (orientation lock) and even skipping auto screen brightness in favor of the lowest setting. I know this is a pretty obvious thing, but if you haven't done so already, try flipping some of this stuff off when you're not using it and you can get several hours of extra battery life; it's really been quite pleasing to get such extended battery life even with such constant usage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

Android Tablet Threat: My god it's full of iTrolls

Has anyone with a 1st Gen Transformer had the tilt sensor and compass stop working? I unrooted mine so I could exchange it and it started working after the preparatory wipe and reinstall.

Tilt works fine for me, I never use the compass so not sure on that one, but seems OK. Probably just a weird bug for you.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Frozen-Solid posted:

I found my first MAJOR complaint with the Prime, and I'm not even sure if it's something I should even be complaining about but holy gently caress this bugs me.

I can't charge the Prime via USB on my laptop. I don't know why, it just doesn't charge. I plug it in, and see no charging icon. I also tried charging it in my car using a car plug -> USB jack and it didn't work. THEN I got out my mini power inverter, plugged the USB cable into the wall jack, then plugged that into the inverter, and that actually works. I even tried plugging my Kindle's wall jack USB box thing, and that won't charge the Prime either. There's got to be something special about that stupid ASUS power box, which is really loving stupid.

The prime uses a stupid 15v charger instead of a 5v like most USB devices.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Uthor posted:

Yeah, the OG Transformer won't charge with anything but the included charger, either. Your computer does not output enough power over USB to charge it (though I was told that the Transformer will trickle charge very slowly through your PC if you leave the screen off and have it at idle). I'm not sure if other, extra powerful wall chargers will work.

Since the charging nub on my original transformer broke, I've been using the nub from my galaxy nexus. There's no indicator of charging, but it charges slowly. Like, on the order of 10% an hour. If you use the tablet while it's charging, it just drains slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone who has gotten a Prime case recommend one. Also what games/emulators are you running. I've been working to get Baldurs Gate 2 up and running with Gemrb. I was wondering if there were any market games worth my time.