Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

OldMemes posted:

Deadpool's head looks like Strong Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Despite everything wrong with that image I'm stuck on Deadpool's oxygen cutting choke collar. My throat tightens up just by looking at it. It looks so uncomfortable. So congratulations Liefeld for making me feel something and creating art.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Seriously though, is that dog actually a human with a dog head? Because, as said, it has a human butt and legs.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I almost forgot about this cover by Liefeld, which kind of reaches Dada-esque proportions of craziness. Take note of the floating head and limbs, the strained neck, the teeth, the stretchy crotch and bendy shield.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

People can write their art thesis just on that cover alone :psyboom:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Captain America, burn victim.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis featured some truly awful art by Kaare Andrews.

Emma Frost torments Logan and Jubilee with her misshapen rack.

But her sadism doesn't stop there, as she then uses it to scare away some soldiers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The only bad Kaare Andrews art is the boring covers he's doing for Ultimate Comics at the moment.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Counter arguement. Good Kaare Andrews' art:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Madkal posted:

Counter arguement. Good Kaare Andrews' art:

These are fantastic, but the X-Men pages are purestrain poo poo. What happened there, deadlines?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kojiro posted:

These are fantastic, but the X-Men pages are purestrain poo poo. What happened there, deadlines?
Astonishing X-Men? Deadlines? Bwahaha!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Kojiro posted:

Nothing it's just a different style.

Here's more from his Astonishing X-Men run.

Spider-Man Reign

and of course no Hulk stuff should be posted without

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Andrew's has a distinct style that he likes to experiment with. He did an arc in Ultimate X-Men (vol 1) where the character looked more anime like, and then there is his Astonishing X-Men stuff (which does sometimes come across as horrendous). He does like to change it up though so it's hard to pigeonhole him as a good or bad artist.
That being said, I definitely prefer his cover work to his interiors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I almost forgot about this cover by Liefeld, which kind of reaches Dada-esque proportions of craziness. Take note of the floating head and limbs, the strained neck, the teeth, the stretchy crotch and bendy shield.

To be fair to Rob, the floating limbs are supposed to be like that. It was a part of the story.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People can write their art thesis just on that cover alone :psyboom:
I sometimes wonder if Liefeld isn't like a patient in an Oliver Sacks book, and he has some kind of obscure neurological disorder that makes him see everything like that all that time, and his art is just an honest expression of the way he perceives the world.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Madkal posted:

Andrew's has a distinct style that he likes to experiment with. He did an arc in Ultimate X-Men (vol 1) where the character looked more anime like,

That was pretty good actually, think it was The Savage Land or something.

Madkal posted:

What the hell is up with his arm :psyduck:?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2nd printing variant for X-Sanction #2. The most un-imaginitive piece of poo poo I've ever seen. I will never read these books solely based on this cover.

The smoke isn't coming from the gun. There is no reason to only see Cable's arm. His eye is in a weird position based on the angle and posish of his arm. WTF?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's Jeph Loeb writing anyway, that should tell you what to expect anyway: schlocky cameo-fests with writing that exists almost solely to expedite more splash pages and poster fodder.

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."
Regarding X-Sanction:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The only thing really wrong with that image is that the gun should be at least 5 times bigger.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Liefeld's newest monstrosity:

Just look at Dove's hips.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
what was the name of that liefeld thing with a padded helmet, a glowy eye, six katanas, a mullet, a ponytail and two tiny braids? and a million puches and tiny/ conveniently covered feet but that's just basic package liefeld so it doesn't count

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SexyBlindfold posted:

what was the name of that liefeld thing with a padded helmet, a glowy eye, six katanas, a mullet, a ponytail and two tiny braids? and a million puches and tiny/ conveniently covered feet but that's just basic package liefeld so it doesn't count

Shatterstar. He is now on X-factor and banging Rictor.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here are two Shatterstars. One is drawn by Liefeld and the other is from the latest X-Factor series. See if you can tell the difference.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They're the same guy, though. Sure, Peter David and his artist salvaged the character to the point that it might as well be a new guy, but it's not. They even had Shatterstar acting all one-dimensional and looking more like his ridiculous 90s design in the alternate universe Maddrox just visited.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Waterhaul posted:

The only bad Kaare Andrews art is the boring covers he's doing for Ultimate Comics at the moment.

Andrews is great, as a lot of the stuff on this page shows, but there are some awful stylistic choices going on there. Emma is drawn like a caricature, which might be fine if everyone else was and if that fit the mood of the story at all, and Storm looks like a bad drag queen. I have no clue what he was thinking with Jubilee's grossed out face, either, she looks like the guy from Mad magazine.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Madkal posted:

Liefeld and Loeb - and unholy combination.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

(Generation Hope #15)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Danger does not like whatever she sees.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

FoneBone posted:

(Generation Hope #15)

HA! I was reading that issue just this morning and saw that panel. I usually don't have a great eye for horrible art but even I know Psylocke must have broken her spine in a couple places for her limbs to act that way.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

RevKrule posted:

HA! I was reading that issue just this morning and saw that panel. I usually don't have a great eye for horrible art but even I know Psylocke must have broken her spine in a couple places for her limbs to act that way.

I think that pose is actually possible—tilt your head to the right, block out her head/neck, and imagine she's sitting on a flat surface with one leg twisted behind in one of those classic life-drawing poses. The only weird thing is her head. If you're a gymnast or something, it's possible for your limbs to be pushed into that position, but probably not for you to move them or hold them there under your own power, without the resistance from the floor. In this case it just looks plain goofy and doesn't tell you what the gently caress is supposed to be going on in that panel.

Anyway, that guy does seem at least to have a basic command of form. I'd say it's more bad pose than bad art outright.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm agree, I'm not saying the whole issue is bad, but that panel really stuck out as not good at all.

I think her left leg is a little too out there weird to have sprung her into the air from any surface.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FoneBone posted:

(Generation Hope #15)

You know, this would be all right if it was Spider-Man.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

FoneBone posted:

(Generation Hope #15)

How can you even accomplish anything by twisting your body up like this?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Looks like we're not the only ones with an issue with the panel:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/01/20/psylocke-pose-chicken-superheroine-anatomy/

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doesn't Psylocke have a new costume? At least in X-Force she does.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Die Laughing posted:

Doesn't Psylocke have a new costume? At least in X-Force she does.

Everyone in X-Force wears a different costume than normal.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dacap posted:

Everyone in X-Force wears a different costume than normal.

It's not different. It's a variant/chase costume. They spent a lot of money and time tracking it down and it'll be worth so much more in the future.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

RevKrule posted:

It's not different. It's a variant/chase costume. They spent a lot of money and time tracking it down and it'll be worth so much more in the future.

Better than those lazy Fantastic Four variant costumes. You know the ones, they're all white with only their logos on it. They say it's so you can just do stuff with the whitespace, but we all know it's just easier to make an all-white costume and slap a logo on. Why spend your time designing when people will buy the new stuff with zero effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
Best: Francesco Francavilla

While his pencils harkens back to an older, noir-inspired style from the 40's, it's his colors that really get to me. It's watercolors and he uses shades of red, orange, yellow, and purple to great effect. The asthetics are simple and almost childlike, and that's what makes them so scary when reading the Black Mirror arc of Detective Comics.

Worse: Jim Lee

The pervading style of the 90's was unfortunately led by Rob Leifeld: hyper-stylized, warped proportions, and tiny eyes. Jim Lee's style reflects that and while I can't compare Leifeld to Lee given that I've never read anything by Liefeld, I can see he shares both style and aesthetics and they rub me the wrong way.

cyberpunksurvivor fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 21, 2012