Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

http://vimeo.com/35354214

First video clip, not fully restored or color corrected

I did a side by side with that clip and the MST3K episode and it's amazing how different it is. It's like a well lit nightmare of a film now :stare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You know it'd almost be a cool comparison if the blu-ray has 2 versions of the film, the restored one and one of the "original" lovely versions, just to hammer home how drastic the restoration is.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Xenomrph posted:

You know it'd almost be a cool comparison if the blu-ray has 2 versions of the film, the restored one and one of the "original" lovely versions, just to hammer home how drastic the restoration is.

I can't imagine it'd be too hard to throw the public-domain, Archive.org version on there as a bonus feature.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Payndz posted:

It almost looks too good. The muddy, smeary, multiple-generations-down appearance of the other versions gave the film a found-footage feel that goes with the grungy and creepy (in a sexual, not horror sense) atmosphere of the movie.

I know what you mean, but I think this gives it an entirely new and different creepiness - it's not a home movie of the worst vacation ever, instead it's any other low-budget movie made in the 1960s, but odd and nightmarish, like a parallel hell-universe version of Gidget. It gives me the same feeling that Blood Feast did the first time I saw it - the clothes and production values were all familiar from other movies I'd seen, but what was happening on screen was so far from what I usually associated with that aesthetic that it just felt wrong.

quote:

The quality of the image also somehow makes the technical ineptness behind the camera even more noticeable - the awkward blocking and framing, the crude editing, the key close-up that's out of focus except for the brim of Torgo's hat, etc.

I'm assuming that because this is from the workprint, there are going to be some differences from the released movie. The bit where Torgo reaches for her hair seems to go on longer in the restored footage than the original linked on YouTube upthread. But if anything, it just makes it all feel even weirder.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Xenomrph posted:

What about a comparison featurette?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Xenomrph posted:

I don't know how hard it would be to take advantage of the alternative angle button for Blu-Ray but it would be wild to be able to swap between the current version and an upscaled to 1080p version of the current public domain release on the fly.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 20, 2012

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Payndz posted:

Two things I immediately thought after watching the (astoundingly) cleaned-up clip:

1: It almost looks too good. The muddy, smeary, multiple-generations-down appearance of the other versions gave the film a found-footage feel that goes with the grungy and creepy (in a sexual, not horror sense) atmosphere of the movie. The quality of the image also somehow makes the technical ineptness behind the camera even more noticeable - the awkward blocking and framing, the crude editing, the key close-up that's out of focus except for the brim of Torgo's hat, etc.
2: It's weird hearing the soundtrack without running commentary from Joel and the bots.

I'm wondering if I will feel the same way when watching this cleaned up version of Manos like I did when I watched the special edition of Akira. That movie was cleaned up & had new voice actors and while I admit I first watched it on VHS the griminess added a nice aesthetic.

I'm still donating to this project. I'm really curious to talk to people that see the cleaned-up version of Manos first then see the MST3K version, then hear their impressions.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Ben Solo posted:

[edit] Oops, Imgur compresses these things... better quality here.

MY COLLEGE GIRLFRIEND was a ringer for her. Had we still been together when the '96 ConventioCon happened, she would have gone as Margaret.

I would have been the completely unrelated but more fitting Ilya Muromets. I could have clubbed overly-handsy Torgos over the head with a mighty blade.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Android Bicyclist posted:

I'm still donating to this project. I'm really curious to talk to people that see the cleaned-up version of Manos first then see the MST3K version, then hear their impressions.

Manos was never one of the MST3K episodes that I caught, and even though I watch an occasional episode on Netflix, I'm now intentionally not watching the Manos episode precisely for this reason.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I have to admit I have never seen this film, but that clip has sold me. I don't know why, but I love watching amateurish productions, there's something pure and formless to it. The performance of the actor playing Torgo is mesmerising in that clip, he has no sense of camera, no training, but he's giving it the beans.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I have no idea how I missed this thread for months, but I'm absolutely stunned with your efforts and added to the Kickstarter.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Craig Spradlin posted:

I know what you mean, but I think this gives it an entirely new and different creepiness - it's not a home movie of the worst vacation ever, instead it's any other low-budget movie made in the 1960s, but odd and nightmarish, like a parallel hell-universe version of Gidget.

:lol:

gently caress it, I'm in for $50. I've never seen Manos, but this is an amazing project and I want to support it. That clip you posted is incredible.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Slack Motherfucker posted:

:lol:

gently caress it, I'm in for $50. I've never seen Manos, but this is an amazing project and I want to support it. That clip you posted is incredible.

You're missing out on what is somehow both more and less creepy than it was ever intended to be. You should seriously check it out.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Professor Clumsy posted:

I have to admit I have never seen this film, but that clip has sold me. I don't know why, but I love watching amateurish productions, there's something pure and formless to it. The performance of the actor playing Torgo is mesmerising in that clip, he has no sense of camera, no training, but he's giving it the beans.

There's also the fact that John Reynolds, the actor who played Torgo, was reportedly high as hell during most of the shooting.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

There's also the fact that John Reynolds, the actor who played Torgo, was reportedly high as hell during most of the shooting.

Tripping balls on LSD was what I've always heard. He might not have even been aware that he was being filmed.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mutant Headcrab posted:

If you want to add to the creepiness he also killed himself shortly after the movie finished filming.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TrixRabbi posted:

If you want to add to the creepiness he also killed himself shortly after the movie finished filming.

Drug overdose, wasn't it? Pretty sure he didn't live to see the premiere.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Heath Ledger of his time.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Ballz posted:

Wasn't it that he got hooked on painkillers because the stupid *thigh prostheses that you hardly ever see hurt so much to wear?

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 20, 2012

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Wasn't it that he got hooked on painkillers because the stupid *thigh prostheses that you hardly ever see hurt so much to wear?

It wasn't just that he wore it, it was that he wore it backwards and no one told him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sure, that'd work too, I was just thinking if there was extra space left over on the bluray disc that having a public-domain crap version on the disc as well would be pretty slick.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Ballz posted:

Actually, he took the Kurt Cobain route. If only the master had approved. :saddowns:

RubeTube
Jun 18, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Speaking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uae58589aec&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Seriously, it's a whole new kind of creepy with this clarity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm getting the opposite effect... It seems to me that it loses a lot of the creepiness because of the clarity. Not being able to see the backgrounds made the movie look more nightmarish

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's literally like night and day. The film is going to look much weirder to a lot of people now because you can actually see the backgrounds that were previously in shadow.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Steve Yun posted:

I'm getting the opposite effect... It seems to me that it loses a lot of the creepiness because of the clarity. Not being able to see the backgrounds made the movie look more nightmarish

It's a different kinda creepy, is what I'm saying.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's a different kinda creepy, is what I'm saying.

I agree, Torgo seen with more clarity is that much more unsettling. And the out of focus hair fondling shot remains awesome (and out of focus).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Steve Yun posted:

Keep in mind they haven't really "done" anything to the footage yet, just scanned it with maximum clarity and accuracy. We'll see how the final color-corrected product turns out.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I seriously love the way each shot goes on for a slightly uncomfortable length of time, especially the closeups with Torgo waving his hand and Margaret awkwardly blinking. We really get to study their faces. It sorta reminds me of Even Dwarves Started Small or anything by Herzog.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Skeletron posted:

I seriously love the way each shot goes on for a slightly uncomfortable length of time, especially the closeups with Torgo waving his hand and Margaret awkwardly blinking. We really get to study their faces. It sorta reminds me of Even Dwarves Started Small or anything by Herzog.

I was just thinking the same thing. When Torgo reaches out to touch her he goes for her shoulder and her hair before she even seems to react to it.

Couldn't they only film for like 90 seconds with the camera they were using? It feels like they basically made each shot last 90 seconds and then sort of cut the film together with scenes going on way longer than they should.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I love this movie and Ben Solo, I can do nothing but send you the highest of praises for the work you are doing. I'm going to check my bank account balance tomorrow and assuming I haven't spent too much this month I will more than likely be sending $50 in your direction.

Everything about this project is great, and to think I just clicked this thread because I saw the word "Manos." These forums and the users within them have a bizzare ability to part me and my cash, but for a cause as fantastic as this, I'm just glad I've been notified of such an opportunity.

The upgrades all look incredible, and though it'll most likely only be $50, I'll be proud to have contributed to this project, even in as small a way as a donation.

Also, thankyou Skeletron for the Desktop resolution images.

God drat I cannot wait for this to finally reach fruition.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I brought this to the attention of my friend who's a program coordinator for an art house theater. He specializes in their cool midnight series, so if you ever get prints made eventually, he'll probably be on the lookout.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm working on a bunch of GIFs for the upcoming Star Trek: The Next Generation HD release, so I thought I'd add one for you guys:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Aatrek posted:

I'm working on a bunch of GIFs for the upcoming Star Trek: The Next Generation HD release, so I thought I'd add one for you guys:

Please make more, because that's fantastic.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please make more, because that's fantastic.

If I can get some more before-and-after frame grabs, I'll make as many as you all want.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DrVenkman posted:

I was just thinking the same thing. When Torgo reaches out to touch her he goes for her shoulder and her hair before she even seems to react to it.

Couldn't they only film for like 90 seconds with the camera they were using? It feels like they basically made each shot last 90 seconds and then sort of cut the film together with scenes going on way longer than they should.

It was just 32 seconds. Watch it again and get a stopwatch ready and time the cuts.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I want your hair...

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Alright. After watching the side by side clip, I am fully sold on buying this. I can't afford to throw in $50 right now. I just got a new job so I may be able to soon. But if I can't, I will be able to buy this on blu-ray, right? And if so, how much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Detective Thompson posted:

I want your hair...

I love when he tilts his head to the right at the end.

• Locked thread