Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Silver Falcon posted:

How can I get caught up on the pot of the other games (especially BBS) assuming I haven't played a KH game since II and haven't owned any Sony systems since the PS2 (which ain't gonna change, either)?

Have any of the KH games been LP'ed? That would be ideal.

There's an LP on the archives for Chain of Memories, one of the many midquels between KH1 and KH2

Blackbelt Bobman's got an LP of 358/2 days (another midquel), the main story plot of which is completed.
It can be found here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413364

There are two wikias full of information:
http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/The_Keyhole
http://www.khwiki.net/

And, I know that Blackbelt Bobman mentioned something about doing a Birth By Sleep LP (it's a prequel), but if you can't wait, there is a half-way done LP from the people at Hellfire Comms.

Here: http://www.hellfirecomms.com/Guide?p=Kingdom_Hearts:_Birth_By_Sleep.

I have no idea about Re:Coded, but it's fairly non-important to the understanding of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Please tell me it's not the Nic Cage version.

I wish it was, now I want Cage as a party member.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
From the looks of the whopping two screenshots it seems like there's a musical minigame done to the tune of The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Just hope the entire world isn't another Atlantica circa KH2. Ugh.

When do we get a Tangled world???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

burntpork posted:

Nope. The Fantasia version!

Also like to add that Kingdom Hearts Ultimania is a really good fansite if you're looking for up-to-date info on the upcoming games.

thanks, this is going in the OP!

Silver Falcon posted:

Have any of the KH games been LP'ed? That would be ideal.

there's a list at the bottom of the first post. Only the first game, chain of memories, and 358/2 days have been LP'd to completion (story-wise, at least). I don't count Kung-Fu Jesus's KHII LP as complete because he skips all the story and just plays it on easy.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I love how every interview with Nomura he just spews out the same response.

Interviewer: So what kinds of connections can we expect to see in (New KH Title)?
Nomura: PLEASE WAIT A BIT LONGER. (aka, play the loving game you weeaboo, I'm not saying poo poo)

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

I recall reading somewhere that they we worried about Aqua bring "too proactive" as a female character, and thought it might not go over too well in some places.

That's kinda sad. And weird from a company that's had female protags before.

I dont like saying it but KH has pretty much gone the route of typical shounen style bromance storytelling. They generally don't use any female characters except in really typical roles (seriously, note Org 13 having only one lady in it and she's a masochist) and when they absolutely need to, especially when girls are coming for the guys. Kairi isn't an explicit love interest (I originally liked the idea that Sora had two buddies and was worried about both equally, but a love interest is really the only intepretation fans seem to get from lady characters), can't really show off sex appeal in this kind of game, and hasn't been in a game where you could chose between 3 characters (if she'd be allowed to at all) so she's out presumably.

LemonLimeTime posted:

I can make sense of new outfits, but is there a rational explanation as to why they look younger again?

Keeping an iconic look for characters is important in merchandise and stuff.

keet fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 19, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Probably Japan only :smith:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It reminds me of Saints Row the Third.

Good god, Kingdom Hearts The Third... I'd play it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The news of the 3DS Kingdom Hearts game rekindled my interest in this series, so I've been replaying KH 1 and 2 for the first time since they came out, and made a valiant attempt at Re:CoM (before deciding that I just can't stand the stupid cards and watching videos of the cutscenes on youtube.)

So! Now I'm trying to decide what I want to do next. Is 358/2 Days worth getting and playing, or should I just watch the LP of it? Regardless, I plan on getting Re: Coded.

And then I'll have to figure out what to do about BBS, since I don't have a PSP and don't really want to buy one just for one game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The news of the 3DS Kingdom Hearts game rekindled my interest in this series, so I've been replaying KH 1 and 2 for the first time since they came out, and made a valiant attempt at Re:CoM (before deciding that I just can't stand the stupid cards and watching videos of the cutscenes on youtube.)

So! Now I'm trying to decide what I want to do next. Is 358/2 Days worth getting and playing, or should I just watch the LP of it? Regardless, I plan on getting Re: Coded.

And then I'll have to figure out what to do about BBS, since I don't have a PSP and don't really want to buy one just for one game.

Pretty much nothing worthwhile happens in 358/2 days at all. You can skip it literally all of it except like the final day and not miss anything worthwhile.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
358/2 days really bored me. It suffers from the lazy way out a lot of action RPGs are handled on handhelds (Crisis Core, Valkyria Chronicles 2, FFTA1 and 2 etc.) in that it pads out its length with a lot of really samey missions in the same areas in order to get on with the plot, and as someone said nothing new or exciting honestly happens you didn't already know, unlike say, BBS.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
New Famistu scans and Nomura interview!

—Will KH3D’s story be concerned with Organization XIII at all?
Nomura: Concerning Organization XIII, the secrets about what specific Members were up to during certain time periods will be revealed. (LOL)

More scans and questions in the link.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yes!

More Chernobog!
The look of the trailers and the like almost makes me want to buy a 3DS. Almost.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Chernabog!

Hopefully they get a better remix of Night on Bald Mountain this time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Those scans look awesome, I am excited for more ~SECRETS~ about Org members and also Chernabog.

Regy Rusty 358/2 Days is ok but unless you really like watching Roxas and Axel eat ice cream a lot, you should probably just watch my LP.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This would be sick if it didn't have the kingdom hearts or the disney.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Agnostic watermelon posted:

This would be sick if it didn't have the kingdom hearts or the disney.

I was going to ask you what in the world would be the point and then I realized you were talking about the giant KINGDOM HEARTS DISNEY (C) logo in the corner now I can't not notice it :mad:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

reading that interview,

quote:

—Well, can you tell us about “Lea” who interrupts the confrontation between the King and Maleficent?

Nomura: That’s Axel as he has returned to being human. In the same place are Zexion and Lexaeus too, they have also returned to being human.

WHAAAAAAT???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

reading that interview,

WHAAAAAAT???

That was established in Re:Coded. When a Nobody and a Heartless are both defeated, they return to the human being that was. That's the entire threat being set up for KH3 because Xehanort's Heartless and Nobody are both dead.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

That was established in Re:Coded. When a Nobody and a Heartless are both defeated, they return to the human being that was. That's the entire threat being set up for KH3 because Xehanort's Heartless and Nobody are both dead.

I didn't realize it extended beyond Xehanort, I thought he was just speshul or whatever.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what happens if you kill the main guy then? The cycle repeats itself?

Sounds like a cheap cop-out to keep bringing people back, oh well as long as Larxene comes back.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alteisen posted:

Sounds like a cheap cop-out to keep bringing people back, oh well as long as Larxene comes back.

If you kill a Human, they're dead. Kinda like in real life.

EDIT: The Org members are interesting so the more of them, the better I think.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ImpAtom posted:

Why is the plot getting more stupid with every single new thing they introduce?

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Org members getting more screentime. But come on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I presume they just stay dead unless they get turned back into a Heartless.

... or unless they're Ansem the Wise in which case they teleport to another dimension or something.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Why is the plot getting more stupid with every single new thing they introduce?

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Org members getting more screentime. But come on.

I couldn't explain it if you asked me. I remember the plot primarily because it is so weird and stupid that it is hard to forget.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I presume they just stay dead unless they get turned back into a Heartless.

... or unless they're Ansem the Wise in which case they teleport to another dimension or something.

I couldn't explain it if you asked me. I remember the plot primarily because it is so weird and stupid that it is hard to forget.

Dude, everyone is loving immortal in this series, I'm convinced. It's completely stupid.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wondering how they'll defeat Xenahort since they need to actually kill him, then I realize that Sora has fought human enemies before and his method of doing so essentially consists of bludgeoning them to death with a piece of metal, so mystery solved.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I would suggest cutting off his head, but knowing this series, it'd just spawn a race of things called 'the headless' or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I'm wondering how they'll defeat Xenahort since they need to actually kill him, then I realize that Sora has fought human enemies before and his method of doing so essentially consists of bludgeoning them to death with a piece of metal, so mystery solved.

He's a Disney villain, so Sora will beat him up but let him live. At the last minute he'll attempt to do something evil, fall victim to his own hubris and fall from a high place to his death.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

I would suggest cutting off his head, but knowing this series, it'd just spawn a race of things called 'the headless' or something.

Which will ironically have heads but no bodies or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

He's a Disney villain, so Sora will beat him up but let him live. At the last minute he'll attempt to do something evil, fall victim to his own hubris and fall from a high place to his death.

Or hang himself. Or blow himself up. Or get sucked into a hell dimension. Or get torn to shreds by a pack of hyenas. Or stabbed through the stomach. Or fall into a molten lake. Pr get run over by a subway train. Or getting painfully turned into a crystalized statue. Disney's villain deaths can be brutal sometimes!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 22, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Macaluso posted:

Or hang himself. Or blow himself up. Or get sucked into a hell dimension. Or get torn to shreds by a pack of hyenas. Or stabbed through the stomach. Or fall into a molten lake. Pr get run over by a subway train. Or getting painfully turned into a crystalized statue. Disney's villain deaths can be brutal sometimes!

Just for fun I tried to ID all the movies where these happened-

Tarzan
Mulan
Princess and the Frog/Hercules
Lion King
Ursula
???
???
The third Aladdin movie?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I really hope the pink crown and Kingdom Hearts/Disney logos are just a watermark on the picture because if they're on the console that's horrible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

:laffo: at the end of Tangled I shouted "She died the quintessential Disney death!"

Macaluso posted:

Oh god I can't even name some of these :psyduck:

Don't forget that Oogie Boogie literally has his skin ripped off and then his bugs melt in lava and the last one is stomped on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Haha in order, Tarzan, Mulan, Princess and the Frog (I suppose Hercules too kind of though he doesn't die), The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Oliver and Comp., and Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

And while Mother Gothel basically DID fall to her death, she also ages hundreds of years really quickly all of a sudden and basically turned into dust before hitting the ground.

edit: Pixar should also get a mention since they had Syndrome get sucked into an jet turbine, causing the whole thing to explode.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 22, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Alteisen posted:

oh well as long as Larxene comes back.

haha no, this is entirely so axel and his kawaii buddies can come back

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:laffo: at the end of Tangled I shouted "She died the quintessential Disney death!"

And everbody stood up and clapped.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

darealkooky posted:

haha no, this is entirely so axel and his kawaii buddies can come back

larxene loving owns because she's a crazy weirdo bitch

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

larxene loving owns because she's a crazy weirdo bitch

See, this man right here knows what's what. Her and Demyx are my favorites in the Organization. Demyx is great because he just doesn't give two shits about what 'bigger plans' everyone's focused on, and just wants to gently caress around all day, which is pretty refreshing in a series where pretty much everyone has 30-step plans for world domination, attaining power, or getting ice cream.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

See, this man right here knows what's what. Her and Demyx are my favorites in the Organization. Demyx is great because he just doesn't give two shits about what 'bigger plans' everyone's focused on, and just wants to gently caress around all day, which is pretty refreshing in a series where pretty much everyone has 30-step plans for world domination, attaining power, or getting ice cream.

Apprently Nomura originally wanted him to be gay, but Disney wouldn't let it fly because I guess that's too "risque" to have in something with their name on it or some such nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
He also wanted Marluxia to be a woman at one point. And at least one of the characters featured in days is technically either intersex, or genderless.

And everyone knows Luxord is the best. :colbert: