Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Waroduce posted:

I'm in the middle of watching The Wire. The first season was absolutely amazing, and the second season grew on me after the first few episodes. I've just started season 3 and the show seems to have recaptured some of its form. I heard the 4th and final season is horrible though :( Any truth to that?
Oh My God, what? I mean, people generally say that the 5th season is the weakest overall (it's still pretty great), but the 4th season is some pretty Legendary television.

Steerpike posted:

Well, they're not sci-fi/fantasy or anything, but I don't see Parks and Recreation and The Wire on your list and they probably should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Wire seasons: 4 > 3 > 1 > 2 > 5

If you disagree with me you're WRONG (or just have a differing opinion)

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Steerpike posted:

Looking for a new show to binge through. Anything not on my list below that seems like it should be? Particularly, any good science fiction/fantasy from Canada/UK/Australia/New Zealand that I might not have heard of in the U.S.?

Liked: Warehouse 13

If you liked this you'll like Eureka. They've had a couple crossovers so you're probably aware of the show, but it wasn't mentioned on your list. Also, give Leverage a try. It has a similar sort of campy attitude applied to hustling bad guys.

E: Oh, and try out Cowboy Bebop if you can avoid raging because of :argh:ANIME:argh:

Neraren fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 19, 2012

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Well I'm glad the wire stays good, but any opinions on Jericho? Should I watch it? Should I stop after a certain season?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Neraren posted:

If you liked this you'll like Eureka. They've had a couple crossovers so you're probably aware of the show, but it wasn't mentioned on your list. Also, give Leverage a try. It has a similar sort of campy attitude applied to hustling bad guys.

E: Oh, and try out Cowboy Bebop if you can avoid raging because of :argh:ANIME:argh:

Well, if we're going to start talking anime, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the best (only?) space opera TV show and one of the best scifi shows ever. It takes quite a while to get off the ground though, at least 10 episodes (most of the first 10 episodes are setting up the world and the characters, with some political maneuvering, and not much action). If you're going to watch it, watch the movie My Conquest is the Sea of Stars first, then the movie Overture to a New War, then start the series proper at episode 3 (Overture of a New War is a movie version of the first two episodes and is a lot less boring). Actually, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is the exception to what I said about the first 10 eps being slow - it's almost entirely action (and yes, the military leaders sans Yang Wenli and Reinhard are supposed to be idiots).

If you dislike anime, know that it doesn't have any of the usual anime clichés and tropes that drive both people who hate anime and anime fans alike crazy. Hell, the only thing that makes LoGH "anime" is it was made in Japan. It's basically space Prussians fighting space Americans, with space European Capitalists in the middle trying to play the two off each other to make money and gain power.

e: it's also free, since it's never been (and never will be) licensed in America

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 19, 2012

Steerpike
Mar 1, 2002

fiat nox
Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Well I'm glad the wire stays good, but any opinions on Jericho? Should I watch it? Should I stop after a certain season?

Definitely give Jericho a shot. Quality is pretty consistent beginning to end, as I recall. The ending doesn't wrap everything up, since the show was canceled, but if that doesn't bother you, go for it.

Neraren posted:

E: Oh, and try out Cowboy Bebop if you can avoid raging because of ANIME

Thanks, I totally forgot about anime! I'm a little intimidated since there's so much out there and I don't really know anything about it, but I've seen and enjoyed Death Note, Serial Experiments Lain, and Neon Genesis Evangelion, so I'm sure there's a lot more good stuff I don't know about. I'll give Cowboy Bebop a try.

Steerpike fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 19, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Steerpike posted:

Thanks, I totally forgot about anime! I'm a little intimidated since there's so much out there and I don't really know anything about it, but I've seen and enjoyed Death Note, Serial Experiments Lain, and Neon Genesis Evangelion, so I'm sure there's a lot more good stuff I don't know about. I'll give Cowboy Bebop a try.

You could check out the recommendation thread in the anime forum, people there will be more than happy to give you recommendations. There's also a new to anime section of the ADTRWiki.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Waroduce posted:

The first season was great. I didn't really care for the second season though. It wasn't bad but the tone really changed to a 24-like/whodunit show. But you should really watch season 1.

I loved the campaign the fans started at the end of season 1 though. If I remember correctly, the show was about to get shitcanned but the fans started a campaign where they sent nuts to the station that ran the show (really can't remember which one it was) because the last line of the final episode was simply "Nuts!" (""Nuts!", a quote attributed to General Anthony McAuliffe at the Battle of Bastogne." Thank you Wikipedia for that quote).

Steerpike posted:

Cowboy Bebop is amazing and I'd put it in my top 5 of all shows (along with The Wire). I also remember really liking Elfenlied but it has been a while since I watched it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Steerpike posted:

Couldn’t Finish: Farscape

How far into it did you get?
It takes some time to find it's footing, even die-hard fans don't have a problem admitting that.

There are some real stinkers in the first half of the first season (but also some pretty good episodes). Once the character dynamics start to settle in (shortly after season 1, episode 15) it gets better and better.

If you made it through season one and did not enjoy it, well, then maybe it really just is not for you.

Time to dust off my box sets

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mcbexx posted:

How far into it did you get?
It takes some time to find it's footing, even die-hard fans don't have a problem admitting that.

There are some real stinkers in the first half of the first season (but also some pretty good episodes). Once the character dynamics start to settle in (shortly after season 1, episode 15) it gets better and better.

If you made it through season one and did not enjoy it, well, then maybe it really just is not for you.

Time to dust off my box sets

It really becomes awesome when a certain event happens to Crichton and then we meet a certain gentlemen who becomes the main enemy.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Steerpike posted:

lots of shows

Alias, Nowhere Man (The Prisoner meets The Fugitive), Millennium, Carnivale, The Vampire Diaries, Being Human.

Since Veronica Mars and 24 snuck their way onto that list, I'll toss in Terriers and Sleeper Cell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also since you like Life on Mars then you should watch Ashes to Ashes

Steerpike
Mar 1, 2002

fiat nox
Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

I think I got about halfway through season 2, and will probably finish it eventually. I feel like I've got to, since it's definitely a better and more creative show than pretty much everything in my Eh, I Watched It category -- but those I mostly watched as they aired, and Farscape just hasn't grabbed me enough to binge through it in one go. I kept hearing it mentioned alongside Babylon 5, so I had super high expectations for it, but it fell short for me.

Ratatozsk posted:

...Nowhere Man (The Prisoner meets The Fugitive)...

Woah, I vaguely remember liking this when it aired in 1995. Maybe I'll have another look now that I'm out of junior high school.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Probably check out Party Down, as well. (Lots of Veronica Mars alums)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Your statement about that being the only horrible things in season is wrong. You also meet a horrible horrible character.

DeLonda (Namond's mom)? If not that character, then I honestly don't remember anyone else horrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

DeLonda (Namond's mom)? If not that character, then I honestly don't remember anyone else horrible.

Yes that is who I am talking about. Nothing good about that character

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Well, if we're going to start talking anime, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the best (only?) space opera TV show and one of the best scifi shows ever. It takes quite a while to get off the ground though, at least 10 episodes (most of the first 10 episodes are setting up the world and the characters, with some political maneuvering, and not much action). If you're going to watch it, watch the movie My Conquest is the Sea of Stars first, then the movie Overture to a New War, then start the series proper at episode 3 (Overture of a New War is a movie version of the first two episodes and is a lot less boring). Actually, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is the exception to what I said about the first 10 eps being slow - it's almost entirely action (and yes, the military leaders sans Yang Wenli and Reinhard are supposed to be idiots).

If you dislike anime, know that it doesn't have any of the usual anime clichés and tropes that drive both people who hate anime and anime fans alike crazy. Hell, the only thing that makes LoGH "anime" is it was made in Japan. It's basically space Prussians fighting space Americans, with space European Capitalists in the middle trying to play the two off each other to make money and gain power.

e: it's also free, since it's never been (and never will be) licensed in America

This sounds freaking cool. Thanks for posting this. I now know what I'm doing this weekend.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Poopelyse posted:

This sounds freaking cool. Thanks for posting this. I now know what I'm doing this weekend.

You can get everything here. Don't worry about movie 0 or the gaidens, just get movies 1 and 2 and then the series proper.

There's also a BD rip of the series here, but I haven't seen it. I didn't even know about it until now.

e: I'm assuming it's fine to post the links here since it's fine in ADTRW

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 20, 2012

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
There've been a few goons talking about LOGH over the last couple years and I tried to get into the series once and was kind of bored. I've got the first movie you mentioned on deck and will give it another try asap!

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

The Wire season 5 was still head and shoulders above most other shows, but felt a little rushed (particularly the newspaper plotline) compared to the brilliance of the other seasons. Coming off the back of season 4 didn't help either.

Having said that, it's not nearly as much as a divisive outlier as say the first season of Parks & Rec or the last .5-1.5 seasons of BSG. It was also entirely worth it just to see the fates of all the characters and how everything comes full circle at the end, as the failures of the institutions continue to mould the individuals therewithin.

drat I've got to set up another rewatch...

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Just popping in to recommend Peep Show. Recently barreled through 7 seasons(42 episodes) in 3 days. You shan't be disappointed, even if you're not a huge fan of British comedy. Super Hans!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

JLightning posted:

There've been a few goons talking about LOGH over the last couple years and I tried to get into the series once and was kind of bored. I've got the first movie you mentioned on deck and will give it another try asap!

I was kind of bored for the first 10 eps or so as well. They weren't bad, they were just mostly setting up the world, the characters and the conflicts. But once it gets going, it's pretty awesome. There's just nothing else like it. It's almost literally a space opera, except with no singing or fat ladies (so far).

But like I said, the first movie (which is actually technically the show's pilot) is almost entirely action and will give you an idea of the kind of space battles the series is known for. If anything, the battle in the first movie is kind of small scale, and the people leading the opposing forces are mostly idiots.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
We just finished Ultraviolet on netflix. Its a "modern" vampire type show with some unique ideas. I really liked it but there are only 6 episodes :c

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just started on Season 4 of Friday Night Lights. A few minutes in and holy poo poo, Nnamdi Asomugha cameoing as a cop and Wallace from The Wire as a new character :munch:

Regular_John
Sep 22, 2006

Where da fuck da cocktail mang?
Hey I don't visit TV IV much but I was hoping someone could recommend me a comedy show, maybe there are some gems I don't know about. Here are my recent tastes in no particular order:

loved:
Community, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Always Sunny, Louie, HIMYM, Arrested Development, Office, Parks and Rec, Extras

Meh on:
[b]Modern Family, Children's Hospital, Portlandia

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

30 Rock! Definitely check out 30 Rock.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Regular_John posted:

Hey I don't visit TV IV much but I was hoping someone could recommend me a comedy show, maybe there are some gems I don't know about. Here are my recent tastes in no particular order:

loved:
Community, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Always Sunny, Louie, HIMYM, Arrested Development, Office, Parks and Rec, Extras

Meh on:
Modern Family, Children's Hospital, Portlandia

Workaholics, Life and Times of Tim, Party Down

edit:

I'm watching The Good Wife because I've heard good things...I'm about halfway through season 1. Does it ever develop into something more than just case of the week, House-esque endings always finding a way to win their case?

weinus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 21, 2012

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Pron on VHS posted:

Just started on Season 4 of Friday Night Lights. A few minutes in and holy poo poo, Nnamdi Asomugha cameoing as a cop and Wallace from The Wire as a new character :munch:

I think Dee shows up for a bit in season 4, too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Regular_John posted:

loved:

Meh on:

Older shows
Spaced, Black Books, Newsradio

Newer
Happy Endings. This show got slammed by all the critics but a lot of them say it drastically improved as it went on.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Regular_John posted:

loved:

Meh on:
Modern Family, Children's Hospital, Portlandia

Better Off Ted and Raising Hope come to mind.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

weinus posted:

Workaholics, Life and Times of Tim, Party Down

Workaholics is probably one of my favorite shows to air recently (or at least be put on Netflix recently) - I absolutely love what they did with a pretty simple setup. Party Down was also great, but I can't say I've watched the Life and Times of Tim - maybe I should. :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adding support for Party Down, 30 Rock, and Happy Endings, and adding Archer.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

:frogsiren::siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren::frogsiren: and I have been binging through The Wire, Bored to Death, and Extras over the last week. I'm really loving Extras just because it's so uncomfortable to watch at times.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Regular_John posted:

loved:

Meh on:

You might as well watch The League too if you watched everything else on FX. You wont miss much at all either if you dont watch football.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

ER. I'm currently on season 6, and I'm completely hooked. Half way through season 6 when Carter and Lucy get stabbed was one of the best executed scenes in the show so far, and in my top 5 for all TV shows.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So I finished Rome. Ended up liking it quite a bit. The way a number of characters and events were based on real history was neat, and the factor of written drama vs real events was fine by me. "A large penis is always welcome." :dong:

Going to watch Carnivale next.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

pigdog posted:

AV Club just chose Carnivale as one of their TV Club Classic series, so they'll be reviewing it every week if you want to keep up. They did the first episode last week.

That being said, I've been slowly making my way through Alias. In the beginning of the second season now, and it really feels, through and through, like a J. J. show. I'm loving everything about it so far - the characters, the tenseness of some of the missions, the mythology. I know I'm in for a serious downward spiral though, which is so disappointing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pigdog posted:

So I finished Rome. Ended up liking it quite a bit. The way a number of characters and events were based on real history was neat, and the factor of written drama vs real events was fine by me. "A large penis is always welcome." :dong:

Once you finish Rome watch I claudius.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

futurememory posted:

That being said, I've been slowly making my way through Alias. In the beginning of the second season now, and it really feels, through and through, like a J. J. show. I'm loving everything about it so far - the characters, the tenseness of some of the missions, the mythology. I know I'm in for a serious downward spiral though, which is so disappointing.

The downturn in the later seasons is worth it just for the series finale. Does the DVD version of the last episode have the message from the show makers, or was that just the broadcast version for the four of us true believers still watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahhh Real Zombies!
Jul 16, 2007
Get it?
I just finished season 1 of Fringe, and just now finished episode 1 of season 2. Poor Charlie. :(

I never watched it before because I just figured it was an X-Files rip off but it has been pretty awesome so far.