Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

baby duck hat posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to whoever recommended Woods of Desolation a few pages back....sorry I cannot remember and can't find the original post.... but wow, this song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJqFOfIW9I

Oh god when will the post-rock, Smiths metal trend stop. This is what I see in my head when I hear bands like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6U-8LP1DY

This new artist Juliet debuted her single today. I don't know, it seems okay but it sounds really slow, as if there's a lot of build-up and not enough riffs for a 0m58s song. Also it seems really mainstream. Already 19k likes from an up-can-coming metal artist? Really?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Looks like Nile added some NA dates.

I'm going to try very hard to make it to the Grand Rapids show. I saw them in Chicago last year and that was absolutely epic.

Does anybody know when their new album is coming out yet?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
New Spawn of Possession track is streaming on Metal Sucks.

I like it. Even if you don't love tech death, check this out, it's not full of soulless widdly wee, I think it's more thoughtful than that.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
A Russian "pagan metal" band (Welicoruss) contacted our zine to review their album. I was expecting an Arkona clone.
I was wrong. This is loving epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Ei18hg1vU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CornHolio posted:

Looks like Nile added some NA dates.

I'm going to try very hard to make it to the Grand Rapids show. I saw them in Chicago last year and that was absolutely epic.

Does anybody know when their new album is coming out yet?

I am definitely going to the Cleveland show since that is the closest they are coming to my city for that tour. It is a loving travesty that The Black Dahlia Murder is headlining of Nile, but that always seems to happen. At least now I get to see them do a longer set without TBDM loving everything up.

As for the new album, last I remember hearing it was slated for either a Spring or Summer release, but that was a long time ago.

thepitgoddess posted:

New Spawn of Possession track is streaming on Metal Sucks.

I like it. Even if you don't love tech death, check this out, it's not full of soulless widdly wee, I think it's more thoughtful than that.

Spawn of Possession has always been one of the few tech-death bands I've always enjoyed. I feel like they take a similar approach to how Anata do things, except in a more brutal fashion. This new track rules, though.

Speaking of Anata, we haven't heard anything from them since "The Conductor's Departure" in 2006. I know they're still around, but what the hell is going on?

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 19, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

A Russian "pagan metal" band (Welicoruss) contacted our zine to review their album. I was expecting an Arkona clone.

Good stuff. Reminds me a lot of Arafel.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hellwuzzat posted:

Diggin' Austere, Grey Waters, and Woods of Desolation. Just what I need for the dead of winter in :canada:

Grey Waters is totally my favourite and he's put it on hiatus :argh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Behemoth, Watain and The Devil's Blood are touring North America together this summer... official announcement should be coming out tomorrow.

:aaa:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
This is probably a goofy request that will get me laughed at, but I'm looking for some well produced death metal with an older school kind of sound. Anything recent come to mind?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

uncle jimbo posted:

This is probably a goofy request that will get me laughed at, but I'm looking for some well produced death metal with an older school kind of sound. Anything recent come to mind?
That's a tough thing to find since both aren't exactly synonymous with one another these days, but I think some of these will be to your liking, even if production is slightly dirty on a couple:

"Dedicated To The Impure" by Crypticus
"Towards The Megalith" by Disma
"The Sleep Of Morbid Dreams" by Funebrarum
"World Wide Death" by God Among Insects
"...Of Frost And War" by Hail Of Bullets
"Into The Crypts Of Blasphemy" by Interment
"Forensic" by Mortal Decay
"Hells Unholy Fire" and "Hex" by Nunslaughter
"Opus Mortis VIII" by Vomitory

Speaking of old-school, has anybody seen Acheron live? I had no idea that they were located in Columbus, OH now and they are playing a show next Saturday. It's only $8 with some good openers so I'm going to go, but I'm just curious how they are.

edit: Oh! Forgot to mention that Napalm Death's upcoming album, "Utilitarian," is loving awesome. A lot of really cool poo poo mixed in with some classically styled Napalm tunes.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 20, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

uncle jimbo posted:

I really like what Martin van Drunen's been involved with lately, but I'd also like hear some suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDRx83dniQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNChRN79Z7E

edit:

Turk February posted:

"Dedicated To The Impure" by Crypticus
this rules

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 20, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Turk February posted:

"...Of Frost And War" by Hail Of Bullets

aliencowboy posted:

I really like what Martin van Drunen's been involved with lately, but I'd also like hear some suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDRx83dniQ

loving love this album and want more, that's why I asked. I'll check you guys' other suggestions out, thanks.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I listened to the new Cannibal Corpse track "Torture" the other day and was quite impressed. Evisceration Plague was the album that actually made me start taking the band seriously, and it's nice to hear them experimenting a little bit with this new track white Gojira-esque whale noises et al.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Death metal? I think I'll just quote my post from the first page since it's still relevant. I mean it seems other people are just "discovering" Venenum even now :rolleyes:

The Clit Avoider posted:

New Deceased is great. Pretty much the flipside of As the Weird Travel On... in that it's death/thrash with heavy metal influences, and it's still got that oldschool heavy metal guitar tone going through all the riffs.

And well it's hardly the "last few weeks", but I recommend Venenum (everyone from Excoriate except the singer), Stench of Decay, Corpsessed, Vanhelgd, Morbus Chron, Gorephilia, Bone Sickness, Disma, Desolate Shrine.

That should cover you for death metal, aside from the obvious stuff like Autopsy and of course, if you dig NC, you've got to check Sonne Adam.

Have some Execration too, and Bastard Priest. And for fucks sakes people, listen to the ZOM demo. Especially if you like Necrovore.

Truth is though, nothing beats the old stuff.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 20, 2012

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet in the thread, but that Behemoth/Watain tour is back on for the US. No dates yet, but Devil's Blood and In Solitude are also on the bill.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8789106&l=c0d67786b3&id=7174402871

Also, Nergal's haircut reminds me of that old Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets the 5yr old haircut.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

uncle jimbo posted:

Entombed's first albums were all produced pretty drat well and they blow the doors off the rehash poo poo being made these days

QPZIL posted:

Behemoth, Watain and The Devil's Blood are touring North America together this summer... official announcement should be coming out tomorrow.

:aaa:

Seeing Watain will be sweet at least

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Viking is putting out a new album. Don't really know how to feel about that.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 20, 2012

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

Thanks for sharing this, that's great stuff.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Morbid Florist posted:

Entombed's first albums were all produced pretty drat well and they blow the doors off the rehash poo poo being made these days

Seeing Watain will be sweet at least

Entombed's albums before Wolverine Blue's blow me away, I never gave them a chance and only in recent months did I go back for a listen. Left Hand Path loving owns.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Pfft, it's all about Entombed-core these days.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
So, I'll interview Blaze Bayley next Wednesday.
Any questions?

Dead Man Posting posted:

Thanks for sharing this, that's great stuff.

Although it's on the "related videos", I'll mention their song Kharnha anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne_Y5hLNOlc&feature=related

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Turk February posted:

It was already brought up, but the way their music is produced is the main thing that kills me, and that Randy Blythe has always sounded like poo poo.

I don't understand the hate for lamb of god. Seriously I don't. Do you have to hate them because they are big? (in the US at least. Not over here in Europe)
Especially Randy Blythe is one of the reasons I really like them. He can do the deep growls and high screams and is recognizable, unlike 90% of all DM or BM vocalists.
I also don't really see the pantera thing...
As for the production: I don't really see anything wrong with it :confused: It's certainly nowhere near "Death Magnetic" compression wise.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
Live stream of Doc Metal from noon to 2 (CST) Sat

http://www.justin.tv/warg889

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Personally, I just think they're boring.

But in other news - I hate to say it, but I don't completely hate the new Abigail Williams :aaa:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

bronin posted:

I don't understand the hate for lamb of god. Seriously I don't. Do you have to hate them because they are big? (in the US at least. Not over here in Europe)
Especially Randy Blythe is one of the reasons I really like them. He can do the deep growls and high screams and is recognizable, unlike 90% of all DM or BM vocalists.
As for the production: I don't really see anything wrong with it :confused: It's certainly nowhere near "Death Magnetic" compression wise.

I don't like them like I don't like: The Rockstar Mayhem Fest lineup as a whole, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Atreyu, Winds of Plague, etc. (bands they've toured with)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bronin posted:

Sterile, timing-corrected metronome production coupled with mediocre songwriting, mostly.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
Live stream of Doc Metal is now live!

http://www.justin.tv/warg889

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

bronin posted:

They used to be awesome and called Burn the Priest, now they're less so with a dumb tongue in cheek name.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nudejedi posted:

They used to be awesome and called Burn the Priest, now they're less so with a dumb tongue in cheek name.

I always forget about Burn the Priest. They were actually pretty good.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

bronin posted:

I think if I was in junior high/high school like five years later than I was I probably would have been really into Slipknot and Lamb of God. I don't really like Slipknot but Lamb of God isn't bad, just kind of boring. Like some of the riffs are good and sometimes everything sounds alright but it always seems derivative and kind of lifeless. Like if someone has it on in a car, I'm glad it's not Disturbed or something.

As far as not getting the Pantera comparisons, I don't know what to say. The vocals are very similar, I don't know how you can not hear it. The riffs sound to me like a mix of Slayer and Pantera. That said, I haven't heard much of them. It just doesn't have that spark of creativity or originality. No that I hear, anyway.

WyattSaturday
Sep 24, 2004
I recently stumbled upon a goldmine with these Manowar interviews. Joey Demaio is insane.

http://youtu.be/BJLuYbgPRXI

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not a huge Lamb of God fan, but I love Ashes Of The Wake. The drumming is so tight and the riffs/leads are great, to me anyway. I love every song on AOTW, but I can see how people say they keep writing the same song over and over since that album.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

uncle jimbo posted:

Feral - Dragged to the Altar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWP3asMyaZY

I'm also a fan of Sordid Flesh. They only have a 3 song demo recorded so far, not available for download just yet either. But go to their facebook and listen.

Spinal Pap fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 22, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Just saw Blood Ceremony/Ghost. Ancient VVisdom opened and they were terrible. Blood Ceremony was amazing as usual and Ghost was spectacular beyond my already high expectations.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 22, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

aliencowboy posted:

Ancient Wisdom opened and they were terrible.

Not Ancient Wisdom. Let's nip this in the bud people before it gets too common. That lovely US band are called Ancient VVisdom, and should always be named so to differentiate them from the really good Swedish band. Yeah, they should be shot for taking such a similar name.

Take any photos?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Man, I wish. The lighting in that place was great, but there was no professional photography equipment allowed. I've been pretty lucky in the past, but I really need to start checking with promoters ahead of time.

If anyone gets a chance to see Ghost live, do it. Even if you're lukewarm on them. The level of theatrics and showmanship they put on is astounding. I say this in the same vein that everyone and their dads rave on about Cirque du Soleil. Papa Emeritus even gave us communion at the end of the show.

I didn't realize there was another Ancient Wisdom and just checked them out and yeah, they are pretty rad. I just figured the guys I saw liked spelling their name like jackasses.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 22, 2012

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Countdown until a lovely metalcore band calls itself VVatain...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

aliencowboy posted:

Man, I wish. The lighting in that place was great, but there was no professional photography equipment allowed. I've been pretty lucky in the past, but I really need to start checking with promoters ahead of time.

If anyone gets a chance to see Ghost live, do it. Even if you're lukewarm on them. The level of theatrics and showmanship they put on is astounding. I say this in the same vein that everyone and their dads rave on about Cirque du Soleil. Papa Emeritus even gave us communion at the end of the show.

drat man :(, I'm lucky enough to be on first name terms with most of the venue owners round here which sort of smooths a lot of potential bumps.

I'm not big on Ghost at all (as I'm sure the entire thread knows given my inability to keep my opinions to myself), but I'm sure you'd have got some great shots with that, and Blood Ceremony can be good when they go the whole hog.

aliencowboy posted:

I didn't realize there was another Ancient Wisdom and just checked them out and yeah, they are pretty rad. I just figured the guys I saw liked spelling their name like jackasses.

Yeah, wasn't bagging on you personally for it, it's just for ease of differentiating. Round here someone flyered absolutely everyone leaving Gorgoroth and then WiTTR gigs for an upcoming Ancient VVisdom gig and due to the way it was written and some people being quite drunk and getting excited there was a few days of people thinking the Swedish band were actually coming over (nevermind the fact they're most likely disbanded). I refuse to believe that this sort of thing isn't by design, because you don't spell your name like that unless you're acutely aware of another band with the same moniker.

And I still cannot believe that crock are actually playing Roadburn, but then there's always a few bands on that lineup who clearly aren't there due to ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

aliencowboy posted:

I don't know if I can get behind this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CivtuX6PNXQ&feature=related

Sucks about the Ghost tour though, I would have loved to see them play but they played in Boston 2 days ago and I didn't even remember.