Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
After much hesitation, I didn't buy the Frankencastle HC last year, so I'll be getting the Punisher Omnibus.

That being said, Marvel seriously needs to have so much overfuckinglapping between OSHCs and Omnibi. It's not like they're addressing 2 different niches there.

(I'm looking at you, Siege and X-Force 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Are the new DC hardcovers going to have the new logo? Is this the reason they are pushing some popular books back a little? Flex Mentallo and the Batman Black Glove & Son HC?

I'd really hate to have that on my books. I really dig their simple DC they put on the spines.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

JackDarko posted:

Flex Mentallo

Flex is a Vertigo book, and presumably wouldn't have the DC logo. I assume it's perpetual delays are due to the recoloring.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

bairfanx posted:

Flex is a Vertigo book, and presumably wouldn't have the DC logo. I assume it's perpetual delays are due to the recoloring.

Ah, you're right! Thanks, still wondering about the DC trades though.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

JackDarko posted:

Ah, you're right! Thanks, still wondering about the DC trades though.

Of course they will have the new logo and thats all it is... a logo. I'm sure we all shat over the last logo DC released in 2005 or whenever it came out. The internet rage will subside eventually and we will get down to reading comics again until the next logo change.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wildlele posted:

Of course they will have the new logo and thats all it is... a logo. I'm sure we all shat over the last logo DC released in 2005 or whenever it came out. The internet rage will subside eventually and we will get down to reading comics again until the next logo change.

Some of us hold grudges. gently caress you, "National Comics"! :argh:

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Random Stranger posted:

Some of us hold grudges. gently caress you, "National Comics"! :argh:

R.I.P. The bullet :(

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I would like to know what is up with these : http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Batman-Knightfall-Vol-1-Various/9781401233792-item.html?ikwid=knightfall&ikwsec=Home

Both Vol.1 and Vol.2

I already own Knightfall:Broken Bat and Knightfall:Who Owns the Night, and Knightend is on the way in the mail, but is are these 2 volumes Knightquest? or is it something else?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Slayer1597 posted:

I would like to know what is up with these : http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Batman-Knightfall-Vol-1-Various/9781401233792-item.html?ikwid=knightfall&ikwsec=Home

Both Vol.1 and Vol.2

I already own Knightfall:Broken Bat and Knightfall:Who Owns the Night, and Knightend is on the way in the mail, but is are these 2 volumes Knightquest? or is it something else?
DC is coming out with new editions of the Knight-books that reprint a more complete version than the last ones.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

TheManWithNoName posted:

DC is coming out with new editions of the Knight-books that reprint a more complete version than the last ones.

I hope this doesnt mean that to get the whole story I will have to re buy these releases. :(

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

wildlele posted:

Did the books the trade editions really have a different logo on the spine prior to 2005, yes it's a logo but it's not just a logo. It represents the company, it's one of the first perceptions people get of them. It's the reason good logos are important. I'm not even judging the logo I just wanted all my Grant Morrison Batman Hardcovers to have the same logo on the spine.

You constantly come in this thread as some sort of sage of reason, and wisdom that nobody else sees. Yet you usually miss the point completely.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 22, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Slayer1597 posted:

Both Vol.1 and Vol.2

Didn't I already answer all that in another thread?

And stop saying Knightend!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 22, 2012

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

JackDarko posted:

Did the books the trade editions really have a different logo on the spine prior to 2005, yes it's a logo but it's not just a logo. It represents the company, it's one of the first perceptions people get of them. It's the reason good logos are important. I'm not even judging the logo I just wanted all my Grant Morrison Batman Hardcovers to have the same logo on the spine.

You constantly come in this thread as some sort of sage of reason, and wisdom that nobody else sees. Yet you usually miss the point completely.

Maybe you are the one missing the point and getting too worked up over a logo or matching spines? DC and Marvel don't care about how the spines look. Case in point, after 189 Marvel Masterworks HCs Marvel decides to change the design (they changed it on all books not just MMW) throwing the OCD folks into fits. Who knows, maybe GMo goes on to write Batman for another 5 years and your current logo books look stupid next to the 12 new logo books.

If it seriously impacts your life that badly, scan the dustjacket, photoshop the old logo in and go to Kinkos and print it out. It will cost you $5 and you can be happy.

wildlele fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 22, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

wildlele posted:

Maybe you are the one missing the point and getting too worked up over a logo?

I'm not getting worked up at all. I made a question in a thread with people who know about trade editions. I'd be bummed but it's not like I wouldn't buy it. It's not even about a logo it's about uniformity in the editions i've bought in a series with the final volumes of the series. I like design.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges

wildlele posted:

If it seriously impacts your life that badly, scan the dustjacket, photoshop the old logo in and go to Kinkos and print it out. It will cost you $5 and you can be happy.

... I might actually do this.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I just told you I would still buy it even with the logo I just wanted to ask, seriously don't need your solutions. I asked whether it would be on the new books not this is seriously hurting me DC is a bunch of morons how do I fix this?. I even said in my post that i'd still buy the book, you just don't get it.

Good job editing your post after the fact as well. I'm good now though I asked a question and bairfanx answered it. I suspect the new logo probably won't be on the spine of the new books but it will be in the interior publishing page. The contents of the book are still going to be rad.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 23, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess Amazon got another shipment of Black Mirror since they shipped me a copy today!

Funny story: I had ordered it along with another couple books and totally forgot about it, then ordered from Thwipster, who eventually cancelled my order since they didn't get their full shipment or something and couldn't fulfill it. I didn't realize I had ordered from Amazon until they told me they weren't able to get it, either, but I left the order open, anyway. So this is cool.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
For anyone not paying attention, the King City collection is priced at $10.52 on Amazon. You really have no excuse to not buy it.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/957

Flex Mentallo slips another week.

Edit: Just had a look through the Marvel solicits and wow, they're getting really fond of trades that collect a piddling four issues aren't they? And I wonder why the bulk of my money's going DC's way nowadays...

Shameless fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 25, 2012

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just made a purchase of...
Secret Warriors Omnibus by Brian Michael Bendis
Punisher by Rick Remender Omnibus

With that Amazon was helpful enough to give me a few suggestions and these books peaked my interest a bit. I'm wondering if they're any good.

Dark Tower Omnibus by Stephen King
Ultimate Comics Avengers by Mark Millar Omnibus
X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee Omnibus - Volume 1
The Invisibles Omnibus

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

obi_ant posted:

With that Amazon was helpful enough to give me a few suggestions and these books peaked my interest a bit. I'm wondering if they're any good.

Dark Tower Omnibus by Stephen King
Ultimate Comics Avengers by Mark Millar Omnibus
X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee Omnibus - Volume 1
The Invisibles Omnibus

Dark Tower - Haven't read it. Seemed to be well received initially but I don't know if that lasted.
Ultimate Comics - Started out as an okay superhero book and went downhill. Exhibits a lot of the things that people have come to hate Mark Millar for.
X-Men - Oh good god, no.
Invisibles - I didn't like it but I'm in a minority there. I'll say that it's going to come down to if think you'd like Grant Morrison at his most Grant Morrisoniness.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
My one hesitation for buying the Invisibles Omnibus is that it's crazy huge, and if it's anything like the Simonson Thor, it's going to fall apart basically mid-read.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Secret Warriors was "created by" Bendis but that book is all Hickman goodness through and through.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Hippo posted:

Secret Warriors was "created by" Bendis but that book is all Hickman goodness through and through.

Also his issues that introduce them are part of the omnibus.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

My one hesitation for buying the Invisibles Omnibus is that it's crazy huge, and if it's anything like the Simonson Thor, it's going to fall apart basically mid-read.

I wouldn't say it'd fall apart but DC's bigger Omnibuses (see the New 52 HC as an example) all suffer from really tight binding and a shitload of art is lost in the gutter because the pages won't open flat.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Query?

Is the Batman and Robin:Dark Knight White Knight TPB part of the morrisson storyline?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Slayer1597 posted:

Query?

Is the Batman and Robin:Dark Knight White Knight TPB part of the morrisson storyline?
No, that collects the first two post-Morrison arcs.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Negative. Only the first three volumes of B&R are Morrison.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They published it in a standard sized hardcover as well so if you want the whole series in HC your shelf will look stupid.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
HA, I dont have a shelf! (I wish I did) but currently I just bag them and keep them in a Comics box.

So is isn't part of the story arc?, I should have specified that I knew it wasnt written by morrison, but it looks like it belongs in the series.

Also, is it in my best interest to pick up the complete book of Bone for like 40 bucks?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slayer1597 posted:

HA, I dont have a shelf! (I wish I did) but currently I just bag them and keep them in a Comics box.

So is isn't part of the story arc?, I should have specified that I knew it wasnt written by morrison, but it looks like it belongs in the series.

Also, is it in my best interest to pick up the complete book of Bone for like 40 bucks?

It's written by Pete Tomasi and it's good but not essential.

If you don't buy Bone all of BSS will hate you.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Rhyno posted:

It's written by Pete Tomasi and it's good but not essential.

If you don't buy Bone all of BSS will hate you.

I guess I will be getting bone!

I have also been giving the hardcover TPB of Swampthing, the ol sexy eyes at my book shop. I really enjoy how the comics are printed on (I think its newspress/newsprint?) and its basically like somebody took the old issues and bound them in a sexy hard cover.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Every time I hear someone call paper that isn't glossy "newsprint" I want to stab them sit them down for a lengthy, boring lecture on the differences in paper stocks.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Every time I hear someone call paper that isn't glossy "newsprint" I want to stab them sit them down for a lengthy, boring lecture on the differences in paper stocks.

I don't call newsprint but I do like to call it paper that's supposed to resemble newsprint. It's usually the reason they choose to go with matte, like with for old books. What are you referencing?

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges

bairfanx posted:

For anyone not paying attention, the King City collection is priced at $10.52 on Amazon. You really have no excuse to not buy it.

Rad. Thanks for the tip. Preordered.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Any word on a Captain America Omnibus vol. 4 coming out in the near future?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I don't own Bone anymore. :[

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Rhyno posted:

If you want any series in in a consistant format with a consistant spine your shelf will be empty.

Edited that for you as there is zero hope of ever achieving this sigh....

Recent examples

GLC - switched from TPBs to HCs only
Justice League 80s series - 4 hardcovers, now two softcovers
Marvel - well they switched their logo / branding so good luck matching anything ongoing
DC - ""
EC Archives - changed publisher, new logo

Fantagraphics seems reasonably safe against this sillyness but time will tell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

^burtle posted:

I don't own Bone anymore. :[
Mods? Do the needful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wildlele posted:

Edited that for you as there is zero hope of ever achieving this sigh....

Recent examples

GLC - switched from TPBs to HCs only
Justice League 80s series - 4 hardcovers, now two softcovers
Marvel - well they switched their logo / branding so good luck matching anything ongoing
DC - ""
EC Archives - changed publisher, new logo

Fantagraphics seems reasonably safe against this sillyness but time will tell.

GLC just goes to HC first, the SCs are later, like all DC HCs.