Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Huh. The last strip was one and a half pages, but this one is a full page. That's a but odd, but I guess that other half page will be used as commentary in the print edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
drat, Tsukiko just doesn't give a gently caress, does she?

She's probably looking for the other half of the ritual, which brings us back to why Xykon didn't tell her the ritual was in two halves, anyway. I haven't read Start of Darkness, but did Xykon even know? From the fact that Tsukiko accuses Redcloak of hiding the other half, it almost suggests Xykon thought his half was the entire thing. I guess that's why he had Tsukiko studying it in the first place, because it didn't make sense to him, either.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Danzou posted:

drat, Tsukiko just doesn't give a gently caress, does she?

She's probably looking for the other half of the ritual, which brings us back to why Xykon didn't tell her the ritual was in two halves, anyway. I haven't read Start of Darkness, but did Xykon even know? From the fact that Tsukiko accuses Redcloak of hiding the other half, it almost suggests Xykon thought his half was the entire thing. I guess that's why he had Tsukiko studying it in the first place, because it didn't make sense to him, either.

Shes really obviously (and correctly) accusing Redcloak of hiding the phylactery

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

run DNC posted:

Shes really obviously (and correctly) accusing Redcloak of hiding the phylactery

I don't think so. I think she's there looking for more info on the ritual.

Also I can't wait for when Redcloak gets to gently caress that bitch up. We all know its going to happen. Redcloak might not have poo poo on Xykon but he will eat that Mystic Theurge alive.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
As annoying as some people found Miko (I never really hated her,) I can't stand Tsukiko. Just a very annoying character.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

run DNC posted:

I don't think Tsukiko has ever talked about the search for the phylactery, or even being in any hurry to leave. It seems like Rich would have foreshadowed Tsukiko suspecting Redcloak of faking the search, since it seems a little convenient for her to develop a suspicion just as Redcloak finds the thing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I concur, I think she's there for the ritual.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Pretty sure she's referencing what she figured out in this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0700.html

Xykon is using Tsukiko as the backup divine caster to complete the spell to control the Snarl - Redclock doesn't know about this. Xykon is (probably accurately) assuming Redclock will betray him at some point.

However, Redclock has been lying to Xykon about what the ritual actually does - he's told Xykon that it will allow them to control the Snarl, when all it will actually do is let them control the location of its prison/gates. That gets explained in the villians primer book. Tsukiko finally understood the ritual and can call Redcloak on his lie.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

That old strip brings up something for me that I had never considered before. The monster in the darkness just automatically knew that it was one half of a ritual, even when the Mystic Theurge didn't. Clue to its true nature, perhaps?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Clearly, they'll go through half of a conversation arguing, and Redcloak will THINK she means the phylactery, because that's what's being set up here. Then the whole thing will get turned on its head somehow, because I don't think Rich would be the type to make this much build-up for a simple gag.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think Tsukiko's search for the ritual will be fruitful. I doubt that Redcloak ever wrote his half of the ritual down anywhere - why would he? In Start of Darkness, he told Xykon that the knowledge of how to perform the ritual was inherent in the Crimson Mantle.

She isn't going to be able to extort it out of him either, he's smart enough to know that would make him expendable.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think Tsukiko's search for the ritual will be fruitful. I doubt that Redcloak ever wrote his half of the ritual down anywhere - why would he? In Start of Darkness, he told Xykon that the knowledge of how to perform the ritual was inherent in the Crimson Mantle.

She isn't going to be able to extort it out of him either, he's smart enough to know that would make him expendable.

That's all true, but this lets Rich give that same info to people who haven't read Start.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
She probably assumes that Redcloak, like all villains, has a secret diary spelling his evil plans. These things can be taken for granted in a D&D universe.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of figuring things out...

:siren:Ritual Behavior:siren:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

so... it creates a snarl? Dun dun DUNNNNNN! And I'm guessing this isn't Redcloak's secret that's out of the bag, but the Dark One's secret.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Vorgen posted:

so... it creates a snarl? Dun dun DUNNNNNN! And I'm guessing this isn't Redcloak's secret that's out of the bag, but the Dark One's secret.

Spoilered in case anyone hasn't read Start of Darkness yet....

It opens a new portal to the plane of the caster's choice. The Plan of the Dark One is to open said portal into a god's throne room (the example in the book was Thor's) so that the Snarl will kill that god, and then the Dark One can blackmail the other gods with the threat of instant death if they don't rework the world in favor of goblinkind.

In other words, you are correct....it IS the Dark One's secret.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Seems to me it would be easy to talk his way out of it, though. Just claim that the portion of the ritual that controls the Snarl is entirely within the Divine half of the spell.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Whatever Tsukiko's trying to do, it might be a bad idea to do so, considering Redcloak's almost certainly higher level than her. And as a Mystic Theurge, that means she's seriously lacking in the high-level spells department.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
She's trying to replace Redcloak as Xykon's go to divine caster. Part two of this plan is to get fearless leader into bed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Colon V posted:

Whatever Tsukiko's trying to do, it might be a bad idea to do so, considering Redcloak's almost certainly higher level than her. And as a Mystic Theurge, that means she's seriously lacking in the high-level spells department.

I think the highest thing we've seen her throw around are 5th level arcane spells, though Animate Dead doesn't allow you to raise wights so maybe 6th level divine. Assuming she entered as a cleric 3/wizard 3, that would mean she's somewhere around 12-14.

So she's either got an ace up her sleeve, a lot of confidence in her wights ability to gently caress up Reddy's casting, or she's just higher level than we've seen. The disparity between a cleric's offensive capacity and a wizard's helps her, but probably not enough if she's just 14.

Not unless she's memorized something ludicrous like Sonorous Hum and Maximized Manyjaws, anyway.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 22, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
She just has a death wish.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hoping that the next strip will have Redcloak rebuking undead, getting the wights to eat her and then dispose of everything.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Tsukiko's banking on Xykon being suspicious if Tsukiko dies and isn't ressurected. Xykon gave her free reign to bust Redcloak's chops if he started bucking, so Xykon would probably be very interested in what she had to say if he came back to find her dead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I have a feeling the point of this is to get some exposition out to the people who haven't read Start of Darkness, and then Redcloak is going to kill the hell out of Tsukiko.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

But he's low on spells from totally wiping the floor with the resistance, so maybe he can't right now?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling the point of this is to get some exposition out to the people who haven't read Start of Darkness, and then Redcloak is going to kill the hell out of Tsukiko.

I'm going to extend this speculation into "Redclock kills Tsukiko, then reveals the amulet to Xykon so he'll rush off and not question why Tsukiko isn't around."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He could hint that she was planning a romantic surprise for Xykon after suggesting they move on right away.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
I think he is going to plant the phylacery on her, and then reveal it to Xykon, so he kills her himself and thus not grow suspicious of Redcloack. Maybe imply that she was planning to implant some love magic on it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wili posted:

I think he is going to plant the phylacery on her, and then reveal it to Xykon, so he kills her himself and thus not grow suspicious of Redcloack. Maybe imply that she was planning to implant some love magic on it.

But Redcloak being in possession of the phylactery gives him an enormous ace up his sleeve, something that could very well turn the tables and twist the whole story around.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Huh. Tsukiko is a lot smarter than I gave her credit for.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
If you want to see some of the older books back in print, Burlew has a kickstarter.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I may be missing something really obvious, but why does she call him "Wrong-eye?"

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Strudel Man posted:

I may be missing something really obvious, but why does she call him "Wrong-eye?"

It is a reference to events in Start of Darkness.

Redcloack had a brother who was missing his left eye, and so was nicknamed "Right-Eye" by Xykon, who couldn't be bothered to remember his actual name. The brother was killed in the climax of the book, in a series of events that I won't spoil but were quite traumatizing for Redcloack. Calling him "Wrong-Eye" is something that Xykon knows is good for pushing Redcloack's buttons, and reminding him that he is nothing but Xykon's little bitch.

Wili fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 22, 2012

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wili posted:

It is a reference to events in Start of Darkness.

Redcloack had a brother who was missing his left eye, and so was nicknamed "Right-Eye" by Xykon, who couldn't be bothered to remember his actual name. The brother was killed in the climax of the book, in a series of events that I won't spoil but were quite traumatizing for Redcloack. Calling him "Wrong-Eye" is something that Xykon knows is good for pushing Redcloack's buttons, and reminding him that he is nothing but Xykon's little bitch.

This is also why in an earlier strip Redcloak was looking in the mirror before his big speech and saying 'this'll all be worth it, you'll see'.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

LightWarden posted:

If you want to see some of the older books back in print, Burlew has a kickstarter.

I really don't get why he doesn't sell PDFs of his books online instead. Sure there's an increased chance of piracy, but he could make more money per sale while selling them for much cheaper.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Deki posted:

I really don't get why he doesn't sell PDFs of his books online instead. Sure there's an increased chance of piracy, but he could make more money per sale while selling them for much cheaper.

That's a bit too close to selling something in an identical form to something that you're already giving away for nothing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Calaveron posted:

But Redcloak being in possession of the phylactery gives him an enormous ace up his sleeve, something that could very well turn the tables and twist the whole story around.

It's really just a question of which is a bigger ace:

- Xykon not knowing about what the spell actually does
- Xykon not knowing he has the amulet

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think Tsukiko just pushed one button too many and Recloak is going to flip the gently caress out on her. About time, too!

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Bobulus posted:

And we all know the answer to that to, If Xykon ever finds out that all the poo poo he and Redcloak have being through, including his lich transformation, was based on a lie, and that the control of the snarl gate is granted to the Dark-one rather than him, he'd probably wipe out the Goblin race as retribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Arguably, the best way to handle it is to get both. Kill Tsukiko and replace her with a polymorphed Hobgoblin or something. Or just kill her straight up and say that you did it because she was in your room.