Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, nice to see that experimental versions of Chrome are finally catching up to Firefox in this area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
For those that didn't like the change to a dark background behind images, there is now an "Old Default Image Style" extension that will change the alignment and background color to whatever you choose.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a way to cram the urlbar and the like into the titlebar? It's like a whole extra toolbar of space and I can't put anything in it! (I'm not counting tabs, I use vertical tabs)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The only reason at this point I keep using Firefox is that adblock just works without bothering me and blocks almost everything. When I try Chrome or Safari and install the adblockers I still see some once in a while, especially youtube ads.

If you're on a Mac, consider using GlimmerBlocker. Though I don't know how well it blocks YouTube ads.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, I had to remove Chrome from older, low-memory systems. Besides eating up all my RAMs from just displaying a page, it keeps its Google Updater running in background even when the browser is closed.

If memory is an issue, switch to Opera.

Yeah. I even saw Opera running on Windows 2000 with 128MB RAM, Celeron 400. It wasn't as unusable as it sounds.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Waterfox scored a bit (say, 10-15%) lower on Peacekeeper and Dromaeo compared to Firefox, but it certainly seems more responsive in real browsing, and doesn't hang intermittently the way Firefox would.

Waterfox + 64 bit Silverlight seems to have solved the Netflix stuttering I was getting too, so color me satisfied.

As an aside, in the past year I've gone from Firefox 4 to 6, then 8 for about 15 minutes till it downloaded 9. I like that they're structuring releases this way, but it feels weird to skip 'major' versions so quickly.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 5, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I installed Waterfox earlier. Something went tits-up because it constantly uses 50% CPU time on a clean profile.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Parts of a Flash-based site that I visit have started behaving oddly. I want to clear my cache of files from that site only before I contact the site support to ask them what's up. How can I do this? I am using the current major version of Firefox, don't know if it is the absolute most up-to-date version.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Can anyone explain to me why this happens?

I've noticed it started happening after I updated Firefox. Basically, any menus that extend past the main window and onto the desktop or taskbar will remain there. Can anyone tell me why this happens, how to make it go away, or even if it's the browser's fault or something else?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Rekkit posted:

Can anyone explain to me why this happens?

I've noticed it started happening after I updated Firefox. Basically, any menus that extend past the main window and onto the desktop or taskbar will remain there. Can anyone tell me why this happens, how to make it go away, or even if it's the browser's fault or something else?
I see Aero also isn't working, is there something wrong with your video drivers? I'd update to the latest drivers from the video adapter manufacturer, turn on Aero (right-click on desktop, Personalize, set theme to an Aero theme of your choice), and see if you still have problems.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Alereon posted:

I see Aero also isn't working, is there something wrong with your video drivers? I'd update to the latest drivers from the video adapter manufacturer, turn on Aero (right-click on desktop, Personalize, set theme to an Aero theme of your choice), and see if you still have problems.

Strange, aero seems to fix it. I turned it off for whatever reason and completely forgot about it. If I turn it on, the problem doesn't occur, and if I use the basic non-aero theme, it comes back. There are no drivers or windows updates to download, so I'm not really sure what exactly is the problem.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I installed Waterfox earlier. Something went tits-up because it constantly uses 50% CPU time on a clean profile.

I saw a lot of vanilla Firefox monopolizing one core with nothing unusual going on, just a selection of Gmail, facebook, SA, etc tabs open.

If you've got a 64 bit system, have you made sure you have 64bit Flash and silverlight extensions? That seemed to make a difference to me, but I haven't really conducted serious tests.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Rekkit posted:

Strange, aero seems to fix it. I turned it off for whatever reason and completely forgot about it. If I turn it on, the problem doesn't occur, and if I use the basic non-aero theme, it comes back. There are no drivers or windows updates to download, so I'm not really sure what exactly is the problem.

Windows Update is usually a few months behind the official driver releases from the chipset manufacturers. Go directly to AMD or nVidia or Intel's website (depending on who made your graphics chip) and manually download the latest driver pack from them. Also, it's generally a good idea to keep Aero enabled so you can take advantage of hardware accelerated desktop graphics on Windows Vista/7.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Mr.Radar posted:

Also, it's generally a good idea to keep Aero enabled so you can take advantage of hardware accelerated desktop graphics on Windows Vista/7.

Yeah, and if the transparency irks you, you can dive into Personalize your computer -> Window color and disable it. You could even tweak the color sliders to look like Basic if you like that color!

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Is there a way to cram the urlbar and the like into the titlebar? It's like a whole extra toolbar of space and I can't put anything in it! (I'm not counting tabs, I use vertical tabs)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/personal-titlebar/

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
I just connected a new D-Link WIFI router to my computer, and now whenever I type a single word into the url bar, instead of searching Google, it takes me to the D-link error page. I tried going into about:config, but I think it is a router thing. How can I get my search back?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks for this! There's a lot of empty space up there than can be used up on my Linux version.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Holy poo poo, thanks! I now have single-bar supremacy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea behind that personal titlebar addon, but it looks like the primary uses I'd have for it (a place to stash pinned app tabs, or single bookmarks) is defeated by the way bars function. Oh well!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Has anybody else had a thing recently (within the last month) where the like/dislike disappeared from youtube? The only thing in its place is a Google+ button. I've tried various combinations of logging out of my google account and using safe mode, but nothing seems to being it back. It's not a huge issue, but it's somehow comforting to add negative ratings to things I don't like.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Selavi posted:

I just connected a new D-Link WIFI router to my computer, and now whenever I type a single word into the url bar, instead of searching Google, it takes me to the D-link error page. I tried going into about :config, but I think it is a router thing. How can I get my search back?
Tell your router to stop returning custom error pages for DNS lookup failures.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Selavi posted:

I just connected a new D-Link WIFI router to my computer, and now whenever I type a single word into the url bar, instead of searching Google, it takes me to the D-link error page. I tried going into about :config, but I think it is a router thing. How can I get my search back?

Disable advance DNS service in WAN settings.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
How's the WebGL performance in the upcoming versions of Firefox? I tried that experimental version of Google Maps with 9 and it felt like the screen was 90% aliased edges.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Standish posted:

Tell your router to stop returning custom error pages for DNS lookup failures.

Is there a setting you can change in Firefox for when it's your ISP, not your router, screwing you?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Is there a setting you can change in Firefox for when it's your ISP, not your router, screwing you?

No, but your ISP might have such a setting hidden away somewhere.

I know that Comcast does.

If your ISP doesn't, you may be able to stop using their DNS servers and use e.g. Google Public DNS instead. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) This might not be possible, though, because some ISPs snoop outgoing DNS traffic and transparently redirect it to their own servers.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

pseudorandom name posted:

No, but your ISP might have such a setting hidden away somewhere.

I know that Comcast does.

If your ISP doesn't, you may be able to stop using their DNS servers and use e.g. Google Public DNS instead. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) This might not be possible, though, because some ISPs snoop outgoing DNS traffic and transparently redirect it to their own servers.

I went to my router (Linksys) and manually set DNS to 4.2.2.2 and I have Comcast. No more obnoxious redirects. Especially useful since I have a laptop as my daily driver but can't have manual DNS.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 21, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

I went to my router (Linksys) and manually set DNS to 4.2.2.2 and I have Comcast. No more obnoxious redirects. Especially useful since I have a laptop as my daily driver but can't have manual DNS.

4.2.2.2 is a root server, you really shouldn't be contacting it directly. At the very least, use Google Public DNS, they actually intend for it to be used by the seething unwashed masses.

Alternately, the Comcast opt-out is at http://dns-opt-out.comcast.net/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

4.2.2.2 is a root server, you really shouldn't be contacting it directly.

Bullshit. Tons of people use it all the time.

It's not even a single server, it's anycast.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

4.2.2.2 is a root server, you really shouldn't be contacting it directly. At the very least, use Google Public DNS, they actually intend for it to be used by the seething unwashed masses.

What's the harm in using a root server? Isn't it meant to be hit constantly as well? I switched to the Google DNS entries (which were already in there, just in slots 2 and 3).

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Actually, now that Comcast has finished the switch to DNSSEC, it's not possible for them to redirect your typos. The opt-out page is still up, yes, but it's useless now because the DNS helper service no longer functions.

http://www.dnssec.comcast.net/faq.htm#faq7

Edit: That said, I still prefer to use Google's servers anyway.

Standish
May 21, 2001

4.2.2.2 is a root server, you really shouldn't be contacting it directly
Here is a list of every single root server IP. 4.2.2.2 is not a root server.

ryanbruce posted:

What's the harm in using a root server?
It's faster to use a DNS server "closer" to you because content delivery networks will return a more local IP.

Google has a good explanation of this effect

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6 series is anycast anyway and thus usually contacts an actual server very close to you, particularly if you are in the UK or US.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Wow. I've been using Greasemonkey in Firefox for some time and I've recently started writing my own scripts. Today it has deleted all of my installed scripts and prevents me from writing my own anymore by doing nothing when I drag and drop them. If I use the 'New style' menu option, the file it creates can't be saved.

I've tried a new profile with only greasemonkey installed but it had the exact same issues.

If I can't find a way to fix this it might be enough to move me to Chrome, greasemonkey is one of my most essential extensions.

E: drat their google group is fast. These appear to be known issues in the latest Greasemonkey (0.9.14). Reverting back to 0.9.13 fixed this for now while these bugs are addressed.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 25, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

nexus6 posted:

Wow. I've been using Greasemonkey in Firefox for some time and I've recently started writing my own scripts. Today it has deleted all of my installed scripts and prevents me from writing my own anymore by doing nothing when I drag and drop them. If I use the 'New style' menu option, the file it creates can't be saved.

I've tried a new profile with only greasemonkey installed but it had the exact same issues.

If I can't find a way to fix this it might be enough to move me to Chrome, greasemonkey is one of my most essential extensions.

E: drat their google group is fast. These appear to be known issues in the latest Greasemonkey (0.9.14). Reverting back to 0.9.13 fixed this for now while these bugs are addressed.

You might look at Scriptish over Greasemonkey. They have some extra API calls that you might find useful.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
Edit: Nevermind

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So apparently I'm stuck on FF 6.0.2 for OS X forever.

When I tried to update to 8, it stopped any pages loading - it was as though it didn't make any attempt. I then rolled back and tried 7, and the same happened (I've now also tried 9). In both cases, if I created a new profile it worked, but I have hundreds of bookmarks that I am unable to copy over in bulk because when I try it just stops working again.

On top of this, it works with the old profile if I launch it like this:

/Applications/Internet/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

But not if I use the icon. Does anyone know why this might be?

Standish
May 21, 2001

Anjow posted:

have hundreds of bookmarks that I am unable to copy over in bulk because when I try it just stops working again.
If you're copying over the places.sqlite file, try exporting as HTML/reimporting as HTML instead. If you've already doing that then try using Firefox Sync to migrate your profile as described here

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Firefox 10 is live. I just autoupdated.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I saw a couple articles mention that in 10.0, the forward button only shows up when you hit back. I just updated, and my forward button is there regardless of where I am in the history of that tab. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The first Firefox Extended Support Release, based on Firefox 10, is now available. This is for businesses that don't want frequent Firefox major version updates.