Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Scotty is a real nice dude.

That's Scotty visiting my cousin in the hospital and Lil' BJR snuck in for the photo op.

WCW Thread: Scotty 2 Hotty Appreciation Station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Remember the Gimmick Battle Royal?
Scottie got the biggest pop out of all the competitors.

I don't know who Mike Graham is.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember there being some wrestling game (probably one of the earlier smackdowns) where Scotty 2 Hotty's finishing move was just the dance part of the worm. His standing attack to a downed opponent was the chop and you had to do it by pressing the x button. So if you had a bunch of finishers lined up you could just keep hopping around and doing the worm like five times in a row without actually attacking while your opponent was forced to lie there like an idiot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Who was the band playing at Souled Out 1997? The singer looked familiar.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I posted:

I don't know who Mike Graham is.

Here's Mikey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FxAE8dnAuE

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Ten random questions about WCW:

10. How did nWo Japan explain the nWo angle to fans in Japan? That nWo guys from the U.S. were invading Japan, and some Japanese guys were helping them, or what?

9. Towards the end of WCW, guys like Kid Romeo, Mike Modest and Christopher Daniels ended up getting on TV. Was this WCW genuinely looking for new stars, desperately trying new things, just randomly throwing poo poo at the wall, or were they hurting for names/faces/wrestlers to fill air time?

8. I forget the timing: was Booker T saddled with poo poo like GI Bro and Harlem Heat 2000 just as he was about to go main event level, or before he really got over with the crowd? It seems like the sort of thing the paranoid guys on top would do to sabotage someone.

7. They knew Benoit wanted to leave, but still put him over Sid and gave him the belt, and had all the guys come out from the locker room to watch, giving the match the 'big event' feeling. He quit the next day anyway, so... why the exercise in futility? Was Benoit leaving still in doubt after all?

6. Even in the last weeks of WCW, were they still doing 3-hour Nitros, 2-hour Thunders, and stuff like WCW Pro, WCW Saturday Night, and so on?

5. Lenny Lane was underrated. How did he fall off the face of the earth?

4. Who was basically dead in the water when McMahon bought WCW? Konnan (for Max Moon), Jeff Jarrett (for *NOT* holding up the WWF to job to Chyna), Rick Rude (for showing up on a live Nitro during a taped Raw, or was he dead by then?), Lex Luger (for showing up on the first Nitro/ditching WWF), Shane Douglas (LOL) and who else? Or am I making large assumptions?

3. What was the weird American Gladiator ripoff show with storylines that showed up on a Nitro or two for some dumb storyline? Battledome or something?

2. Who were some guys that WCW booked better than the WWF/E, your opinion? (Mine: Raven, DDP, Goldberg, Jericho, Malenko)

1. Did WCW make a ton of money from that giant two or three day stadium show with Japan in North Korea, or was it a wash, or what?

0 (gently caress you, zero is a number). From the inception of the nWo (early/mid-1996) until the end, how many different belts/championships did WCW have? (Was the "Lord of the Ring" (King of the Ring ripoff) in that period, or before?)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

Here's Mikey.

New guys aren't draws.
Stick with the proven winners!
:wcw:

e:

9: Pretty sure they were typical tryouts that somehow ended up on Nitro instead of dark matches or Jakked/Shotgun/Velocity like WWE tryouts.

7: Sullivan definitely addresses why Benoit got the belt in his end of WCW shoot but I've forgotten if it was because he foolishly thought it would persuade Chris to stay or that WCW was endlessly stupid and didn't change the finish when it was obvious he would leave. Found a review! Sullivan went through with it against near total opposition, and he told Sid to have his leg under the rope so they could make Arn Anderson look like a fool and WCW look bush league..

6: Nitro went back to 2 hours (8-10) shortly into the Russo era. WCW Saturday Night was canceled. Thunder moved to Wednesday to dodge Smackdown but it was there til the end.

4: Rude died in 1999. There weren't a lot of people who were dead in the water. Just old or not worth bringing over.

3: I liked Battledome :|:

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 22, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

Ten random questions about WCW:

8. I forget the timing: was Booker T saddled with poo poo like GI Bro and Harlem Heat 2000 just as he was about to go main event level, or before he really got over with the crowd? It seems like the sort of thing the paranoid guys on top would do to sabotage someone.

7. They knew Benoit wanted to leave, but still put him over Sid and gave him the belt, and had all the guys come out from the locker room to watch, giving the match the 'big event' feeling. He quit the next day anyway, so... why the exercise in futility? Was Benoit leaving still in doubt after all?

He became very popular after his 7 series match with Beniot. So he got GI Bro and Harlem Heat 2000 after he was popular. However, GI Bro was his first gimmick in the indies.
The reason he left was Sullivan was made booker and they had a feud due to Beniot stealing Sullivans wife
Rude was dead

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Red posted:

Jeff Jarrett (for *NOT* holding up the WWF to job to Chyna)

He did hold up the WWF to job to Chyna. That's where the bad blood comes from.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

New guys aren't draws.
Stick with the proven winners!
:wcw:

Just remember that those four midgets were all either the same height or taller than Mike Graham.

It also surprises me to find out Perry Saturn is only 5'10" (billed). He always seemed much taller to me.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Gavok posted:

Jeff says he demanded his owed PPV bonus money sooner than was normally paid out but did not ask for anything more.
It's very possible he and Russo conspired to have him work a PPV without a contract.

But then WWE forgot to renew The Rock's contract in 2004 so it's possible this one is completely on McMahon's incompetence rather than anyone's malice.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Red posted:

10. How did nWo Japan explain the nWo angle to fans in Japan? That nWo guys from the U.S. were invading Japan, and some Japanese guys were helping them, or what?
Although the NWO more or less started in spirit in New Japan anyway, one night Chono tore off his shirt and revealed he's joined the NWO. When he got back to Japan, a bunch of his stable-mates also joined the NWO-Japan team, and the Americans who joined NWO-Japan were also a lot of popular Gaijin from the US already (Brian Adams, Scott Norton, ect)

quote:

9. Towards the end of WCW, guys like Kid Romeo, Mike Modest and Christopher Daniels ended up getting on TV. Was this WCW genuinely looking for new stars, desperately trying new things, just randomly throwing poo poo at the wall, or were they hurting for names/faces/wrestlers to fill air time?
They were both rapidly losing stars, and desperately trying to find new stars to see what stuck. It's weird, but guys like Jamie Noble and Super Dragon were part of WCW during the dying days.

quote:

:russo: Booker T defiantly got the Harlem Heat 2000 and GI Bro stuff before he won his first title.

quote:

The problem was the creative/booking team at the time threatening to murder Benoit. Yeah. Seriously.

quote:

4. Who was basically dead in the water when McMahon bought WCW? Konnan (for Max Moon), Jeff Jarrett (for *NOT* holding up the WWF to job to Chyna), Rick Rude (for showing up on a live Nitro during a taped Raw, or was he dead by then?), Lex Luger (for showing up on the first Nitro/ditching WWF), Shane Douglas (LOL) and who else? Or am I making large assumptions?
A mixed bag. Vince McMahon had bought out couple of contracts. Some people refused to work for him and just took the money to sit their contracts out. Others, like Sting or Flair had contracts with TBS instead of WCW itself, so they too decided not to work for McMahon and get free paychecks. Then there are others that McMahon simply didn't want to employ.

quote:

2. Who were some guys that WCW booked better than the WWF/E, your opinion? (Mine: Raven, DDP, Goldberg, Jericho, Malenko)
Anyone that isn't Booker T that came from WCW were better off before. Especially looking at mid-carders, like Psicosis who got turned into a bad stereotype.

quote:

1. Did WCW make a ton of money from that giant two or three day stadium show with Japan in North Korea, or was it a wash, or what?
They made quite a bit, actually. North Korea paid a lot for WCW.

quote:

0 (gently caress you, zero is a number). From the inception of the nWo (early/mid-1996) until the end, how many different belts/championships did WCW have? (Was the "Lord of the Ring" (King of the Ring ripoff) in that period, or before?)
Heavyweight
US Championship
Television Championship
Cruiserweight
Hardcore
Tag-Team
Cruiserweight Tag-Team
Women's Championship
Women's Cruiserweight Championship

Some of those bizarre looking titles took place in the late 90's when WCW was doing really stupid/weird things, and keep in mind that the NWO lasted a really loving long time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Perry Normal posted:

Didn't all that become moot when Mike Graham threatened to cut up one of them if they hosed up his situation in the company though? As I recall, they let them all go without fuss to avoid being sued for having a person in some position of authority threatening to murder talent.

Man, gently caress Mike Graham. Yeah, we all get a laugh when he says "broke 1,000 guitars, never drew a dime" about Jarrett, but who the gently caress ever paid money to see Mike Graham wrestle?

I'm going to be honest, the only thing I know Mike Graham from is the "never drew a dime" line. I saw he was Eddie Graham's son when I looked him up, but in all honesty Jeff Jarrett is an infinitely better example of a good second generation wrestler than him.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gavok posted:

I remember hearing that Jarrett's contract ended the day before No Mercy, and he was planning on leaving the company with Russo. So Russo basically booked him in this feud, knowing his contract would end the day before a PPV as a title holder, and Vince paid Jarrett some insane amount of money to show up and drop the belt to Chyna in their No Mercy "Good Housekeeping Match"

Man, those were the fun days... dude wrestles on a WWF PPV one day, and then on Nitro the next.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

Man, those were the fun days... dude wrestles on a WWF PPV one day, and then on Nitro the next.

My favourite will always be guys who show up when every level of logic says they shouldn't, like Rick Rude appearing on WWF, WCW and ECW TV in the same week or Mike Awesome appearing out of loving NOWHERE to attack Kevin Nash. Those moments truly made me feel like we were watching a war where no rules existed. Even if rules did.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
That's one of the sad things about wrestling today. All the young guys don't have the balls to do stuff like that. Can you imagine Miz or Orton doing stuff like that? And even if there was a wrestler who would there's nowhere for them to go.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

You may be the only person with fond memories of that PPV.
Maybe it was just being really excited to see Benoit win the title.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I know, normally you might think probably think WCW firing Russo would be a good thing for wrestling. It's kind of odd and ironic that WCW ended up losing the 4 best workers in the company over management balking at the idea to put the title on Tank Abbott.
Though aside from Eddie (I think?) Russo really liked pushing them so they probably appreciated Russo giving them opportunities and attention that wasn't explicitly limited by a glass ceiling.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

maniacripper posted:

That's one of the sad things about wrestling today. All the young guys don't have the balls to do stuff like that. Can you imagine Miz or Orton doing stuff like that? And even if there was a wrestler who would there's nowhere for them to go.

I think this is why I wanted CM Punk to goto ROH so badly. I think it could have meant much more than just re-signing with the fed or going to TNA. We can go on and on about positive or negative career moves but I think it would have meant something. Re-signing didn't.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Lone Rogue posted:

Here's Mikey.

I like how he admits he said "I'll cut your head off and put it on a stick" and then denies he threatened him. What a slimy assface.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Monkeycheese posted:

I like how he admits he said "I'll cut your head off and put it on a stick" and then denies he threatened him. What a slimy assface.

I love his tattoos. Faded flames. Should be a warning to all of the douchebags today about their tattoos.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I remember hearing that Jarrett's contract ended the day before No Mercy, and he was planning on leaving the company with Russo. So Russo basically booked him in this feud, knowing his contract would end the day before a PPV as a title holder, and Vince paid Jarrett some insane amount of money to show up and drop the belt to Chyna in their No Mercy "Good Housekeeping Match"

His contract did end on the Saturday before the PPV, but to think that he had Russo book him into an angle so Jarrett could try to extort McMahon is stretching it. Also, it wasn't really an insane amount of money. Jarrett negotiated a fair 1-day payday (you would have to assume it was fair if they agreed to pay him), and then asked to be paid for that day and for the PPV bonus for that show and for the PPV bonuses for the previous 3 PPVs right then and there. Usually, bonuses are distributed after all of the numbers are final and it takes a few months.

That part about demanding all of that money right then and there was not how things were done, and that was seen as a slap in the face.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rusty Shackelford posted:

His contract did end on the Saturday before the PPV, but to think that he had Russo book him into an angle so Jarrett could try to extort McMahon is stretching it. Also, it wasn't really an insane amount of money. Jarrett negotiated a fair 1-day payday (you would have to assume it was fair if they agreed to pay him), and then asked to be paid for that day and for the PPV bonus for that show and for the PPV bonuses for the previous 3 PPVs right then and there. Usually, bonuses are distributed after all of the numbers are final and it takes a few months.

That part about demanding all of that money right then and there was not how things were done, and that was seen as a slap in the face.

Well that's why Chyna claimed in her book in 2001 at least.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

But then WWE forgot to renew The Rock's contract in 2004 so it's possible this one is completely on McMahon's incompetence rather than anyone's malice.

How the gently caress does a company forget a major star's contract ending? Aren't there like whole departments to oversee this? Also, does Rock not know when his contracts up or does he stay silent because he doesn't want to be involved in wrestling?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

oldpainless posted:

How the gently caress does a company forget a major star's contract ending? Aren't there like whole departments to oversee this? Also, does Rock not know when his contracts up or does he stay silent because he doesn't want to be involved in wrestling?

This is why JR is awesome. When he hosed up on contracts, it was just Jeff Jarrett. When Johnny Ace fucks up, the loving ROCK gets missed.

And I side with Jarrett. He just wanted his drat money and to be done with the WWF free and clear, no more bullshit Chyna matches, no more Austin cockblocking a push over Memphis paydays*, no more ga-ga.

Besides, it's not like Vince never hosed anyone over. Jarrett just took advantage of JR's mistake, plain and simple. I'm not some super Jeff Jarrett fan, he just did what he thought was right, and I agree. Besides, consider it karmic payback on Vince for making Jeff and Debra go out there and work a jackoff comedy sideshow freak match with loving Nicole Bass five minutes after Owen died.

(*I am not saying that I wanted to see an Austin/Jarrett program, but you could have programmed me against Steve Austin in 1998-1999 and drawn.)

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

whatsabattle posted:

This is why JR is awesome. When he hosed up on contracts, it was just Jeff Jarrett. When Johnny Ace fucks up, the loving ROCK gets missed.

And I side with Jarrett. He just wanted his drat money and to be done with the WWF free and clear, no more bullshit Chyna matches, no more Austin cockblocking a push over Memphis paydays*, no more ga-ga.

Besides, it's not like Vince never hosed anyone over. Jarrett just took advantage of JR's mistake, plain and simple. I'm not some super Jeff Jarrett fan, he just did what he thought was right, and I agree. Besides, consider it karmic payback on Vince for making Jeff and Debra go out there and work a jackoff comedy sideshow freak match with loving Nicole Bass five minutes after Owen died.

(*I am not saying that I wanted to see an Austin/Jarrett program, but you could have programmed me against Steve Austin in 1998-1999 and drawn.)

The program with Chyna was the first time Jarrett had ever been in any way interesting, and it would be many years before he was interesting again.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

whatsabattle posted:

no more Austin cockblocking a push over Memphis paydays*

So are you also pissed that Rock *cockblocked* a program with Shawn Michaels because of how Michaels treated Rock when he was a kid and a rookie?

Besides, Jarrett wasn't even over enough to main event against Austin. It was Russo trying to push his friend. The only guy Austin rejected for a program that I wasn't happy with was Owen Hart, but Austin still had every right to be apprehensive on a program with Owen after SummerSlam.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Flameingblack posted:

They were both rapidly losing stars, and desperately trying to find new stars to see what stuck. It's weird, but guys like Jamie Noble and Super Dragon were part of WCW during the dying days.

Is there even any footage of Super Dragon in WCW? I've never been able to actually find any.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Suben posted:

Is there even any footage of Super Dragon in WCW? I've never been able to actually find any.
The single clip I've seen is of Super Dragon doing a plancha in a tag-team match on Thunder. It's in the MV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBMgbTCJbKA

e: Looks like it didn't air so it might have been a tryout match.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Lone Rogue posted:

So are you also pissed that Rock *cockblocked* a program with Shawn Michaels because of how Michaels treated Rock when he was a kid and a rookie?

Actually I misspoke up there, for it to be an accurate thing, Rock would have to veto a program with Shawn's kid. Jerry ain't Jeff.

Lone Rogue posted:

Besides, Jarrett wasn't even over enough to main event against Austin. It was Russo trying to push his friend. The only guy Austin rejected for a program that I wasn't happy with was Owen Hart, but Austin still had every right to be apprehensive on a program with Owen after SummerSlam.

Regardless of if he was or wasn't over enough, Jeff did what he thought was the right thing, and I agree. Besides, if it spared us one of the 450,000 Undertaker/Austin ppv matches that year, it would have been a great change.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

whatsabattle posted:

Actually I misspoke up there, for it to be an accurate thing, Rock would have to veto a program with Shawn's kid. Jerry ain't Jeff.

Jeff was also an rear end in a top hat to Steve back when he worked in Memphis. Hence the Rock/Michaels thing. It wasn't just a Jerry grudge.

whatsabattle posted:

Regardless of if he was or wasn't over enough, Jeff did what he thought was the right thing, and I agree. Besides, if it spared us one of the 450,000 Undertaker/Austin ppv matches that year, it would have been a great change.

In 1999? Because that's when I believe there was supposed to be the Jarrett push. That's also when I think Austin was supposed to feud with "The One" Billy Gunn and he veto'ed it. Everyone should have veto'ed it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Lone Rogue posted:

Here's Mikey.

Is Mike Graham the one guy in the entire industry who didn't know that Kevin Sullivan booked his own divorce? gently caress, what a piece of poo poo.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Mike Graham should be heralded for standing out as a tremendous douche in an industry with no shortage of candidates.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

e: doh! wrong thread

coconono fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 23, 2012

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astro7x posted:

Jarrett asked for all the money that was owed to him so he could sever ties with the company completely. He didn't ask for money that wasn't owed to him already.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Moose Bigelow posted:

Mike Graham should be heralded for standing out as a tremendous douche in an industry with no shortage of candidates.

He is also apparently the World's Shortest Man, given that in a match with Ric Flair the size differential was basically like Giant Khali versus John Cena. Giant Fhlairi.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

LividLiquid posted:

Jarrett asked for all the money that was owed to him so he could sever ties with the company completely. He didn't ask for money that wasn't owed to him already.

He claims that he was even given stock options and that the entire meeting was positive.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Quarex posted:

He is also apparently the World's Shortest Man, given that in a match with Ric Flair the size differential was basically like Giant Khali versus John Cena. Giant Fhlairi.

You're not kidding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fvE4NCcTNM

:stare: God drat.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lone Rogue posted:

The only guy Austin rejected for a program that I wasn't happy with was Owen Hart, but Austin still had every right to be apprehensive on a program with Owen after SummerSlam.

Austin/Brock could have been great, but Austin didn't want Brock to pin him clean in the KOTR qualifier.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Astro7x posted:

Austin/Brock could have been great, but Austin didn't want Brock to pin him clean in the KOTR qualifier.

I heard it was a dark match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Astro7x posted:

Austin was right not to do that with no build on a throwaway raw.