Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Just my opinion, but you should pick a location closer to where you'll be most of the time since it's easier to tend to your baby if things come up. If your husband is travelling a lot, it would make more sense to be closer to your office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Gravitee posted:

For those of you considering or already in daycare, do you recommend a place that's closer to your office or home? I'd really like to visit the baby during lunch but it would be more convenient for my husband if it's closer to home. It's slightly more expensive to be closer to my office but my husband is on the road a lot.
Ours is closer to home, although my office isn't very far away. This way it's easier for my husband to do pickups and dropoffs, and when I need to go back home for something, it's close.

I tend to not visit much during the day, because it's hard to leave. The ladies there are very chatty and if my two year old sees me she has a fit.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

I had a baby. She's pretty stellar.

Had an appointment on 1/5, they did a membrane sweep and also determined I had a low AFI and sent me to triage for a NST. Turned out okay but wanted me back the next day to see if my AFI had risen any. If not they said they would likely induce me. AFI didn't get much better but they sent me home which I was pissed off about. I spent the day crying and in such discomfort. My cat was also acting really whiny and clingy. About 8PM I heard a small pop from my belly and nothing came out so I figured it couldn't have been my water and decided to take a bath to ease my sore muscles. While I was in the bath my belly kept making a gurgling sound which was freaking weird. When I stood up to get out there was a small gush and I couldn't really tell if it was just residual water from the bath or if my water had broken. After about an hour of waiting on a larger gush we decided to head in and it turns out it was my water. I got to the hospital at 2.5 dilated and 60% effaced. They let me have my epidural and let me labor. After a couple hours I was at a 3 and 80% so they started pitocin. The baby and I tolerated it really well and in about 8 hours I was at a 9 and 100% and an hour after that I was complete but the little booger face turned sunny side up so we had to wait on her to flip. She finally did and I pushed for less than an hour.

Saria Rose was born 1/7/2012 at 4:54PM, at 38 weeks 2 days weighing 8 lbs, 2 oz, 20" long. Her weight matched exactly with the estimate the ultrasound tech gave us on 1/5.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Simple question: does anyone have any sourced information about the effects of marijuana on pregnant women and their children? I'm in a lifespan psychology course right now, and our textbook (published in 2008) doesn't list it as a harmful substance, but another handout (published in 1985) we got does, so I'm curious if it has since been found to not actually be a cause of complications for the baby. My instincts tell me "of course it's harmful, dummy," but relying on instincts is hardly a proper scientific approach. The things I'm finding on Google merely state "studies show that it [is/isn't] harmful]" without actually linking said studies, and I'm loathe to take that at face value.

I don't smoke, so I'm not looking for a specific answer here, but the teacher of my class has been empirically wrong several times so far in the past two weeks and I don't trust her very halfhearted answer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Bahunter22 posted:

Just look at that round little baby! :) She's beautiful!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Gravitee posted:

For those of you considering or already in daycare, do you recommend a place that's closer to your office or home? I'd really like to visit the baby during lunch but it would be more convenient for my husband if it's closer to home. It's slightly more expensive to be closer to my office but my husband is on the road a lot.

Most definitely closer to home. We didn't get a place in any of the daycares closer to home, and second choice was closer to my work. My husband works in the opposite direction. So I 'm the one who drops him off and picks him up. It may be easier if you have a car, I don't know. Dropping by during lunch doesn't happen because he's napping when I have lunch break. The whole thing is just much less flexible, because me staying late at work (or work from home, or if I'm sick) requires so much planning, and husband has to leave work early to pick kid up in time. If we had had a daycare closer to home, we'd be able to split the dropping off and picking up between us, effectively getting to see our kid more and he'd have shorter days.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Simple question: does anyone have any sourced information about the effects of marijuana on pregnant women and their children? I'm in a lifespan psychology course right now, and our textbook (published in 2008) doesn't list it as a harmful substance, but another handout (published in 1985) we got does, so I'm curious if it has since been found to not actually be a cause of complications for the baby. My instincts tell me "of course it's harmful, dummy," but relying on instincts is hardly a proper scientific approach. The things I'm finding on Google merely state "studies show that it [is/isn't] harmful]" without actually linking said studies, and I'm loathe to take that at face value.

I don't smoke, so I'm not looking for a specific answer here, but the teacher of my class has been empirically wrong several times so far in the past two weeks and I don't trust her very halfhearted answer.

There are very few studies, and none of them large studies for the effects of marijuana or THC on the developing fetus. No one will touch that sort of thing for a study or funding. But, with most drugs and such, there are clear effects of too much usage while pregnant (FAS, crack babies, low birth weight for caffeine and cigarettes, etc). From all my research, there has never been an "effected" baby where the problems can be traced back solely to weed/THC.

Many people know someone who smoked while pregnant, and the "kid came out fine", while the other half of people know someone who was at a party and people smoked outside and they got a whif of the smoke "and now the kid is autistic".. I'm pretty convinced that if THC/weed was a problem-causer in pregnancy, we would have heard ALL about it by now. Instead all we get are vague threats about "it's a drug, drugs are bad"

(of course, none of this actually answers your question at all, but I've been researching for months now, and can't find anything solid at all.)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Bahunter22 posted:

Had an appointment on 1/5, they did a membrane sweep and also determined I had a low AFI and sent me to triage for a NST. Turned out okay but wanted me back the next day to see if my AFI had risen any. If not they said they would likely induce me. AFI didn't get much better but they sent me home which I was pissed off about. I spent the day crying and in such discomfort. My cat was also acting really whiny and clingy. About 8PM I heard a small pop from my belly and nothing came out so I figured it couldn't have been my water and decided to take a bath to ease my sore muscles. While I was in the bath my belly kept making a gurgling sound which was freaking weird. When I stood up to get out there was a small gush and I couldn't really tell if it was just residual water from the bath or if my water had broken. After about an hour of waiting on a larger gush we decided to head in and it turns out it was my water. I got to the hospital at 2.5 dilated and 60% effaced. They let me have my epidural and let me labor. After a couple hours I was at a 3 and 80% so they started pitocin. The baby and I tolerated it really well and in about 8 hours I was at a 9 and 100% and an hour after that I was complete but the little booger face turned sunny side up so we had to wait on her to flip. She finally did and I pushed for less than an hour.

Saria Rose was born 1/7/2012 at 4:54PM, at 38 weeks 2 days weighing 8 lbs, 2 oz, 20" long. Her weight matched exactly with the estimate the ultrasound tech gave us on 1/5.

Adorable! Congratulations, mommy!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Bahunter22 posted:

Adorable kid. Nice work. ;)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Well, I think this is where I belong now. My husband and I got two positive tests last week and had an appointment on Monday. At this appointment we were told that we were 7 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I was pretty sure this was at least a bit off because of how crazy my cycles are... but I was really surprised when we got the sonogram today and all we had was a tiny dot inside a yolk sac. A dot too small to even measure. So now we have no clue. The doctor said to come back in two weeks and we'll do another sonogram to see if this dot is turning into a baby.

Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? My last period was in Nov. and the cycle before it was over 40 days... But I still think that this is really strange.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

SassySally posted:

Well, I think this is where I belong now. My husband and I got two positive tests last week and had an appointment on Monday. At this appointment we were told that we were 7 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I was pretty sure this was at least a bit off because of how crazy my cycles are... but I was really surprised when we got the sonogram today and all we had was a tiny dot inside a yolk sac. A dot too small to even measure. So now we have no clue. The doctor said to come back in two weeks and we'll do another sonogram to see if this dot is turning into a baby.

Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? My last period was in Nov. and the cycle before it was over 40 days... But I still think that this is really strange.

What are you concerned about? It sounds like you may be a bit over 5 weeks if not at 6 weeks. This is what my 7 week (on the dot) ultrasound looked like:

and you can see an embryo with little zombie arms in that one. My first ultrasound was at 5 weeks and we just saw the sac, but nothing really inside cept a tiny dot.

e: here's a pretty good site that shows scans from week to week: http://www.baby2see.com/development/ultrasound_sonogram/first_trimester_scans.html

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 20, 2012

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

SassySally posted:

This is kind of how I found out my wife was pregnant. I was at home and she was at work, I get a text saying she's in the ER because her arm was numb and she almost passed out at work. I went to her right away and they did tests on her, come to find out she was about 4 weeks pregnant. It's hard for her to tell because she's only got one fallopian tube and her periods aren't typical every month.

Speaking of which, my very first born was born on Jan 16 and her name is Freya, and she's one of the best things to happen to me.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

bamzilla posted:

My first ultrasound was at 5 weeks and we just saw the sac, but nothing really inside.

Mine was at 6 weeks and they found his tiny little heart. Freaked the poo poo out of me, that's for sure (oh god I have something living in side of meeeeeeeeeeeeeee).

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Bank posted:

My wife is more worried about health (dry skin, dehydration) than the house burning down.

She'll have her thyroid levels checked here in a few weeks. So that might be something else contributing to the itchiness.

I just got the results back from mine and they were extremely elevated (29.8 from 8.9 with my first pregnancy), so they upped my prescription from 75mcg to 125mcg. My itchy skin has almost gone completely away since starting my new dosage several days ago.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

SassySally posted:

I was absolutely convinced when I got my positive test that I was at least two months along, because I'd missed two periods. When I got to the doctor and had a sonogram, though, they couldn't see anything at all. Eventually they figured out that I was only 2 or 3 weeks when I took the test, and eventually we did finally see the little bean. Basically our bodies are stupid I guess? :D

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Bahunter22 posted:

I concur. She's stinkin' adorable.

Also, Aqua Hamster is one of the best pictures of glee I have ever seen.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Crossposting this in both threads. I know IKEA highchairs are pretty popular.

Voluntary Recall of IKEA Antilop Highchairs

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Aqua Hamster posted:

This is kind of how I found out my wife was pregnant. I was at home and she was at work, I get a text saying she's in the ER because her arm was numb and she almost passed out at work. I went to her right away and they did tests on her, come to find out she was about 4 weeks pregnant. It's hard for her to tell because she's only got one fallopian tube and her periods aren't typical every month.

Speaking of which, my very first born was born on Jan 16 and her name is Freya, and she's one of the best things to happen to me.

Aw congrats! Also, I LOVE the name. That was on our short list if it was a girl. We eventually settled on Athena Selene, going the Greek goddess route. Turns out it's a boy, so maybe the next one!

She's adorable!

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.
Hi all, I haven't read this thread a great deal but I was hoping for some direction. My husband and I confirmed our pregnancy with our doctor earlier this month and should be about 5-6 weeks along. However, we've had some pretty discouraging things happen recently that are pointing pretty strongly to miscarriage and I was hoping to hear some advice and anecdotes from others who have been in a similar position. I don't want to depress this thread unnecessarily though; is there another more appropriate thread I should be checking out?

Congratulations to all those this page who posted pics of their new littlies - they all look gorgeous :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Are you looking more towards advice on how to cope for one, or problems that turned out ok?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

I guess it looks pretty much like the 5 week scans on that page. Thanks! I guess it was just a major surprise to think I was at least a little further in and then the dr. and sono tech won't even take a guess as to how far we are since the baby is smaller than a period . and is nowhere near the development they were expecting.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

SassySally posted:

I guess it looks pretty much like the 5 week scans on that page. Thanks! I guess it was just a major surprise to think I was at least a little further in and then the dr. and sono tech won't even take a guess as to how far we are since the baby is smaller than a period . and is nowhere near the development they were expecting.

Did they not bother trying to measure the sac? If you go in a couple more weeks they can probably get a more accurate measurement based on the size of the embryo/sac, as well. My due date keeps on fluctuating by days but never more than a week. Initially they went by the sac measurement, then the embryo/sac. (making my due date switch from aug 4th, to aug 6th). Now they're going by my last missed period which makes it Aug. 3rd. So now I just tell people I'm due "some time at the beginning of August".

Unless you documented the exact times you had sex, and you only have sex occasionally (like, once a week or month or bi-weekly), and/or track ovulation, you're probably not going to know the exact time of conception anyway.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 21, 2012

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Junius posted:

Hi all, I haven't read this thread a great deal but I was hoping for some direction. My husband and I confirmed our pregnancy with our doctor earlier this month and should be about 5-6 weeks along. However, we've had some pretty discouraging things happen recently that are pointing pretty strongly to miscarriage and I was hoping to hear some advice and anecdotes from others who have been in a similar position. I don't want to depress this thread unnecessarily though; is there another more appropriate thread I should be checking out?

Congratulations to all those this page who posted pics of their new littlies - they all look gorgeous :)

I think you'll find the "Getting Knocked Up" megathread more to what you're looking for. While there are plenty of women here who've had miscarriages and gone on to have perfectly healthy pregnancies, you can find better help and resources at the other thread.

Good luck!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3136070

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I hope this is the right thread, if not please let me know. I was wondering if anyone here had had issues with ovarian cysts while pregnant? I'm 12 weeks along now, and last week as I was driving to pick up my husband I had excruciating pains in my lower left abdomen. This is my 4th pregnancy and I was seriously worried I was having a miscarriage (never had one before, I'm just in my 30's and apparently the risk goes up.)

I got to the ER and they told me the baby was fine, and that I had a possibly ruptured ovarian cyst on my left side. They gave me lortab (didn't even know that was possible) and told me it would go away on it's own. Well it hasn't really stopped hurting, and now my right side hurts a little too...

Anyone with experience with this, is my kid okay cooking with all this cysty-ness going on? If you've had bad or good experiences I think I need to know both. Doctors aside, it's been my experience that often times mothers know better.

Also Bamzilla: Yay! We're August birth buddies!

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

bamzilla posted:

Did they not bother trying to measure the sac? If you go in a couple more weeks they can probably get a more accurate measurement based on the size of the embryo/sac, as well. My due date keeps on fluctuating by days but never more than a week. Initially they went by the sac measurement, then the embryo/sac. (making my due date switch from aug 4th, to aug 6th). Now they're going by my last missed period which makes it Aug. 3rd. So now I just tell people I'm due "some time at the beginning of August".
Wasn't your first around Aug 24? My second was also early August (8th). I didn't really want them to have birthdays in the same month and wasn't really trying when we concieved, but August is a pretty good month to have a kid and be on maternity leave.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stairs posted:

Anyone with experience with this, is my kid okay cooking with all this cysty-ness going on? If you've had bad or good experiences I think I need to know both. Doctors aside, it's been my experience that often times mothers know better.

Yup. I had an 11cm cyst with my first pregnancy. Pregnancy went smoothly. Eventually I had to have surgery (laparoscopy) to remove the cyst (3 months after she was born), but that was because after the birth it had started to twist itself around my ovary. I had a few rupture before and during that pregnancy, too. If they're the right types of cysts, like they said, your body will just absorb whatever ruptures. It's painful, that's for sure. I think I had 2 more ultrasounds than normal just to keep track of the biggest cyst, but other than that, nothing too out of the ordinary during the entire 9 months. This pregnancy has definitely been a lot worse than my first.

Woo, August!

opie posted:

Wasn't your first around Aug 24? My second was also early August (8th). I didn't really want them to have birthdays in the same month and wasn't really trying when we concieved, but August is a pretty good month to have a kid and be on maternity leave.

Yea, the first is August 26th. This one will probably be Aug, as well. Not too concerned. We'll just get all 4 of our birthdays out of the way in 2 months ;) Hopefully this summer will be as mild as 2009. This time around I don't have to worry about leave, thank god. What a pain in the rear end getting that paperwork together was.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 22, 2012

Junius
May 14, 2006

Ben Davis posted:

Are you looking more towards advice on how to cope for one, or problems that turned out ok?

I'd like to hear what other people experienced, whether it turned out good or bad. This was so out of the blue for us; we had no negative indicators at all except the fact I started bleeding a little. All of the doctors we spoke to thought it was odd but nothing to really worry about until I eventually saw my regular GP again and he just outright said we'd miscarried and to come back in a week to check whether I'll need a D&C (he wasn't so harsh as that sounds, I'm paring it down to the relevant stuff). I'm having another lot of blood tests done for my own peace of mind, but it seems fairly certain we're going to get bad news :(

It was just so sudden and unexpected (though I suppose they usually are) I feel a bit confused and wanted to hear how other peoples' experiences ran. Though I may be better off just hugging my husband and daughter and not dwelling so much.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I think you'll find the "Getting Knocked Up" megathread more to what you're looking for. While there are plenty of women here who've had miscarriages and gone on to have perfectly healthy pregnancies, you can find better help and resources at the other thread.

Good luck!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3136070

Thanks; I might check it out after I've finished the hugging :v:

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Oh, that's really hard. :( I have a hopeful story from a little later on in pregnancy. At 8 weeks, I had a sudden torrent of bleeding and was sure I'd lost the baby. I didn't think it was possible to bleed that much and NOT lose it. It was a pretty bad hematoma, and I kept bleeding for over 2 months; it wasn't till week 26 (?) that we were given a complete all-clear. It was a horrible time because we felt like we were in limbo until it started healing itself, and we really had no control over the situation. Today I'm at week 37 and just waiting for our little boy to come; it turned out he was fine the whole time. :) It was a little easier for us because we were slightly later on, so we just got an ultrasound at the ER to let us know right away. Hoping for the best for you.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Yeah, I woke up drenched in blood with my third child and was sure I'd lost him. He's currently watching TV with the cat.

Did your GP check for sac fluids or do a vaginal ultrasound? I've heard spotting early on isn't always indicative of a miscarriage. Either way it turns out I hope you come out okay, and keep on hugging that husband!

And Bamzilla thanks for the reassurance! It really helps hearing an actual mother say it's going to be fine!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Junius posted:

we had no negative indicators at all except the fact I started bleeding a little.

Don't give up hope yet! As the previous two posters also talked about, I too experienced some bleeding early in my pregnancy and everything was fine. I bled about once a week from week 6 till about week 10 or so. It was stressful and every time it happened I was sure that this time was going to be when it started and didn't stop. I was sure I was going to lose the pregnancy. But thankfully everything was fine, I just had a really sensitive cervix that tended to bleed at the slightest bump. Have you spoken to an actual OB yet? Have you gotten an ultrasound? The blood tests should hopefully be able to tell you what really is going on, but I wouldn't even think about a D&C until an OB is seen.

If it does turn out to be a miscarriage, I just want to say I'm very sorry for your loss. But until you get absolute confirmation, I'm going to hold out hope for you!

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
I had a baby (first one)! She was two days early on the 19th. I had 40 hours of very painful back labor. Did most of it with my midwife and the doula (highly recommend for anyone to get a doula - this was the best experience throughout the whole process! She was amazing!!).

Once I hit active labor, the pain was so bad and the contractions were so close together I screamed for about two hours straight. We finally decided I would be better off with an epidural before I screamed myself unconscious. Thank goodness I did most of the labor natural so I didn't have to have any pitocin or help with delivery. I even kept most of my muscle control. I slept for four hours and woke up just in time to have the baby. She's pretty cute!

The only thing I'd recommend for first time moms is if you're planning to breast feed, definitely bring your boppy or nursing pillow! It saved my arm!

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

I had a baby (first one)!

Wow that is a brand new baby bonding face. I remember that from my daughter - very powerful. Congratulations! She's beautiful!

Junius
May 14, 2006

Ben Davis posted:

At 8 weeks, I had a sudden torrent of bleeding and was sure I'd lost the baby... turned out he was fine the whole time :)

Stairs posted:

Did your GP check for sac fluids or do a vaginal ultrasound? I've heard spotting early on isn't always indicative of a miscarriage. Either way it turns out I hope you come out okay, and keep on hugging that husband!

Mangue posted:

Have you spoken to an actual OB yet? Have you gotten an ultrasound?

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. After what my doctor said and how distraught it made me, I really don't want to get my hopes up too much but it's nice to know others have had a good result from a bad situation.

To answer your questions (and possible give you a little TMI) I started spotting lightly on Wednesday morning and got hubby to take me to the ER that afternoon when it got heavier, similar to a period. They did some blood tests which showed my hCG levels to still be rising and the ER doctor did a physical examination which showed my cervix was closed and firm and I wasn't having an ectopic pregnancy. She advised me to go home, rest and see my GP as soon as possible for further blood tests. Her opinion was that unless I started experiencing pain (which I hadn't at that point and still haven't) it was just unexplained bleeding which sometimes happens.

Saw the GP the next day who drew blood and then the day after again for the results. He said my hormone levels had dropped (didn't specify how much) which indicated a miscarriage :( I needed to take it easy while the bleeding continued and come see him again in a week or so, once it had stopped, to determine if I needed the D&C.

So I'm getting a second lot of blood tests tomorrow of my own accord, as I said, just to "confirm the worst". I think I've accepted that I've miscarried but need this second lots of tests to really put it to rest in my mind. I haven't seen an OB yet and haven't had an ultrasound since the one I had about a week before the bleeding started; at which point I wasn't far enough along for anything definite to be seen.

Does this sound like a pretty typical story to those unfortunate enough to have had a similar experience? Would any of you advise any other actions? My only plan so far is to have this second lot of blood tests and see my GP again to get the actual figures of my previous tests for comparison.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Hey, Junius. I had a miscarriage earlier in the year and it's pretty similar to what you're experiencing. At what was supposed to be 9 or 10 weeks I had an ultrasound the the sack measured 6 weeks. After some blood tests it was confirmed that it wasn't alive and to expect a miscarriage. I'd also like to note that about a week before that my symptoms were starting to fade and I didn't "feel" as pregnant as in the beginning.

It took about a week and I just started gushing blood one day after a few days of painful cramps. I spend a few long hours in the ER and didn't have any horrible complications. Everything came out and I didn't need a D&C.

Right now I'm 9 weeks pregnant and it's a little scary, but I know the first time is a pretty common thing so I'm more hopeful this time. Also I'm still feeling a lot of the symptoms. I have my first ultrasound in a few weeks so we'll see what happens.

If you have to go through a miscarriage, I'm really sorry. But you'll pull through and be able to try in no time. Good luck.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

I had a baby (first one)! She was two days early on the 19th. I had 40 hours of very painful back labor. Did most of it with my midwife and the doula (highly recommend for anyone to get a doula - this was the best experience throughout the whole process! She was amazing!!).

Once I hit active labor, the pain was so bad and the contractions were so close together I screamed for about two hours straight. We finally decided I would be better off with an epidural before I screamed myself unconscious. Thank goodness I did most of the labor natural so I didn't have to have any pitocin or help with delivery. I even kept most of my muscle control. I slept for four hours and woke up just in time to have the baby. She's pretty cute!

The only thing I'd recommend for first time moms is if you're planning to breast feed, definitely bring your boppy or nursing pillow! It saved my arm!

She is ADORABLE! That little tongue! Name?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I feel really fortunate that my doctor is in the habit of doing an ultrasound every single appointment. This is what he does for all of his patients. I guess he likes using the machine. I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't see the baby every time, seeing it move and watching it get bigger.

I was wondering if anyone had their gallbladder taken out after they'd given birth. How long after did you wait and do you wish you would have waited longer or done it sooner? I am thinking I'd like mine out as soon as possible and some people on the internet have said they had it out the same day they delivered. I don't know if I'd do this, but I'd hate to have to be incapacitated twice in one year and think it might be the smarter option. Opinions?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Well, the only problem I can see with doing it the same day would be breastfeeding. If they do surgery the stuff they knock you out with might mean you can't nurse for 48 hours. I'd check into that, unless you aren't planning to nurse, in which case why not just kill two birds with one stone!

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I feel really fortunate that my doctor is in the habit of doing an ultrasound every single appointment. This is what he does for all of his patients. I guess he likes using the machine. I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't see the baby every time, seeing it move and watching it get bigger.

I was wondering if anyone had their gallbladder taken out after they'd given birth. How long after did you wait and do you wish you would have waited longer or done it sooner? I am thinking I'd like mine out as soon as possible and some people on the internet have said they had it out the same day they delivered. I don't know if I'd do this, but I'd hate to have to be incapacitated twice in one year and think it might be the smarter option. Opinions?

A friend of mine had issues with her gallbladder before her two children and just finally had it removed a month ago. It was an outpatient laproscopic surgery that was over super quick. I believe, in her case, they did knock her out and she stayed in the hospital for an extra 24 hours because she had troubles keeping anything down after she woke up. In the majority of cases, her nurses said people leave less than 6 hours after it's all said and done. She's still on lifting restriction right now, but it's been about 3 weeks and she can comfortably move around and lift small weights [less than 25lbs] without pressure on the glued incision. In another week or two, she should get clearance to go back to work without any restrictions at all though.

They never mentioned or offered anything regarding removal during her pregnancy beyond "yeah, you should get that removed after you give birh" or both of her deliveries. The only time her giving birth came into play was during her presurgery consultation where they asked if she had a c-section. I guess they just use the preexisting incision for the procedure in those cases. Her births were both vaginal, so instead the incision is off to the side like an appendix removal would be.

Maybe you could see if in case of a c-section, that would be something they could do after the birth? You're on lifting restriction anyway, so I can't imagine gallbladder removal would be much added strain on the healing process.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Stairs posted:

I hope this is the right thread, if not please let me know. I was wondering if anyone here had had issues with ovarian cysts while pregnant? I'm 12 weeks along now, and last week as I was driving to pick up my husband I had excruciating pains in my lower left abdomen. This is my 4th pregnancy and I was seriously worried I was having a miscarriage (never had one before, I'm just in my 30's and apparently the risk goes up.)

I got to the ER and they told me the baby was fine, and that I had a possibly ruptured ovarian cyst on my left side. They gave me lortab (didn't even know that was possible) and told me it would go away on it's own. Well it hasn't really stopped hurting, and now my right side hurts a little too...

I had a large ovarian cyst that twisted my ovary and then ruptured when I was four weeks pregnant. I had massive internal bleeding and nearly died (I lost 70% of my blood and needed three transfusions). However my situation was different from yours in many ways, one of which was that I went from zero to excruciating pain in about 30 minutes, at which point my husband and I rushed to the ER and I had emergency surgery the next morning (I was lucky in that the cyst ruptured while I was in the hospital, since that was when things really went downhill). All that being said, I now have a two month old little boy who is healthy as can be, so it turned out fine in the end, even though I started the pregnancy with twins. We lost one at 6.5 weeks, but that could have been from anything, they don't know if it was associated with the surgery or not since from what I've read it isn't uncommon.

I don't want to sound alarmist, but that was my experience. Though, I should also say that my OBGYNs (I had two, one of which did the laparoscopic surgery) had only seen my situation once before in twenty years of practicing medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

A little derail, but I just had an experience changing Freya and oh my god I had no idea that much poop could fit into a baby that small.