Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

FailingYeti posted:

I actually enjoyed the first two movies quite a bit. However the next two just pretty much nosedived into the dirt in quite a spectacular fashion.

I don't think you remember how bad the second movie was. A quick rundown of scenes in which you should smash your face into a desk in lieu of watching:

- Jill needs to be saved by Uwe Boll's waifu Jovolich at every loving opportunity. Jill does literally nothing in this movie after her scene where she shoots zombies in the police station. She even tries to have a cool moment where she throws the matches to light an inferno, the matches go out, and Millia coolly flicks a cigarette. :rolleyes:
.. The actress who played Jill actually played RE3 to study for the role.

-
Boll must've really liked All About The Benjamins. Everything Mike Epps has ever said is stupid. T-Virus is "crazy white-folk poo poo". "My poo poo is custom made." "I usually drive cadillacs." "GTA, motherfucker! 10 points!"

- Fistfight with Nemesis (which as mentioned, is a romantic sub-plot).

- Zombies popping up through the graves in order to be uppercutted by Alice as soon as they pass the graveyard.

But yeah, the real thing that gets me is just how anemic the cast is without Alice. Claire does get to do one slo-mo thing in Afterlife, but this is after watching about an hour of Alice do backflips down a building and toss guns into the air in slo-mo. Boll is such a patronizing rear end in a top hat, Alice even does Claire's thing with the gun from the CV intro.
Really, gently caress this movie. It's amazing it only got worse from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Digital Scumbag posted:

I don't think you remember how bad the second movie was. A quick rundown of scenes in which you should smash your face into a desk in lieu of watching:

- Jill needs to be saved by Uwe Boll's waifu Jovolich at every loving opportunity. Jill does literally nothing in this movie after her scene where she shoots zombies in the police station. She even tries to have a cool moment where she throws the matches to light an inferno, the matches go out, and Millia coolly flicks a cigarette. :rolleyes:
.. The actress who played Jill actually played RE3 to study for the role.

-
Boll must've really liked All About The Benjamins. Everything Mike Epps has ever said is stupid. T-Virus is "crazy white-folk poo poo". "My poo poo is custom made." "I usually drive cadillacs." "GTA, motherfucker! 10 points!"

- Fistfight with Nemesis (which as mentioned, is a romantic sub-plot).

- Zombies popping up through the graves in order to be uppercutted by Alice as soon as they pass the graveyard.

But yeah, the real thing that gets me is just how anemic the cast is without Alice. Claire does get to do one slo-mo thing in Afterlife, but this is after watching about an hour of Alice do backflips down a building and toss guns into the air in slo-mo. Boll is such a patronizing rear end in a top hat, Alice even does Claire's thing with the gun from the CV intro.

Uwe Boll had nothing to do with the Resident Evil films. You're thinking of Paul W.S. Anderson

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I sometimes get talentless hacks confused. You know I meant Anderson, blackguy32. Sorry if I threw you off.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Digital Scumbag posted:

I sometimes get talentless hacks confused. You know I meant Anderson, blackguy32. Sorry if I threw you off.

You just said it with such conviction that you even convinced me that Boll did it.:golfclap:

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Haha, I'm sorry. :shobon: We can still be mad at Boll, though!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Digital Scumbag posted:

Alice even does Claire's thing with the gun from the CV intro.

Oh god, this made me so mad when I caught it watching the movie the second time through.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Digital Scumbag posted:

Haha, I'm sorry. :shobon: We can still be mad at Boll, though!
Uwe Boll would make a Resident Evil movie that was much more faithful to the source. Faithful enough that you might even think you were seeing the games being played!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Uwe Boll would make a Resident Evil movie that was much more faithful to the source. Faithful enough that you might even think you were seeing the games being played!

So every time we have a scene change we have to watch a door slowly opening and being walked through? :v:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I only have a passing understanding of Nemesis and unless I somehow become 8 years old again I'm unlikely to want to watch a Paul W.S Anderson movie, so could someone elaborate on this romantic subplot business? It sounds like some serious Street Fighter poo poo

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Drakenel posted:

So every time we have a scene change we have to watch a door slowly opening and being walked through? :v:

Despite the fact that it existed only to mask load times, I miss that poo poo in newer RE games.

Was it in CV where zombies actually come through the door during a loading scene? I remember almost making GBS threads my pants at that part.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
While nemesis is fighting alice he looks into her eyes and you see him remember that he used to like before it got turned into a big nasty so he tries to kill the umbrella dudes. At least I think that's what happens.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Considering how stupid the games are, I'm not entirely convinced it is possible to make a good Resident Evil movie. I guess entertainingly bad, which the latest movies have been is about as close as you can get.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thetrin posted:

Despite the fact that it existed only to mask load times, I miss that poo poo in newer RE games.

Was it in CV where zombies actually come through the door during a loading scene? I remember almost making GBS threads my pants at that part.

RE2. It happens on the B scenario when you're entering the police station IIRC.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

While nemesis is fighting alice he looks into her eyes and you see him remember that he used to like before it got turned into a big nasty so he tries to kill the umbrella dudes. At least I think that's what happens.

So what, The Dark Id's 'playa' nemesis in his RE3 LP wasn't totally made up?

EDIT: gently caress, need to go read that again.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Honest to God, I would rather watch any given Uwe Boll movie than any of the RE movies.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I really want to believe this is a crack on House of Dead randomly having scenes of the arcade game being played as segues.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

bleep posted:

There will likely never be a HD rerelease of REmake because of the games use of prerendered backgrounds.

Why is that such a hindrance? If I remember correctly, the backgrounds are all CGI, can't they just be re-rendered at a higher resolution?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Digital Scumbag posted:

I really want to believe this is a crack on House of Dead randomly having scenes of the arcade game being played as segues.
You're in luck then. ;)

I kind of want to see an Uwe Boll Resident Evil movie, maybe two wrongs would make a right for once?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RE: Apocalypse is an awful movie, sure. But it's fun. Same goes for all of them.

Different subject: A friend just pointed out to me that the RE6 logo looks like a woman blowing a giraffe. I will never be able to unsee it now. It's like 2012 olympics logo all over again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

RE2. It happens on the B scenario when you're entering the police station IIRC.

It happens in both scenarios in the same place.

Although I hate the loving door loading screens. I was playing it over at a friend's house and he pointed it out to me that I was watching those loading screens almost as much as I was playing the actual game. Then once I bought the DS version of Resident Evil 1 and the PC version of Resident Evil 3, they let you skip the loading screens, and my game time was much much quicker as a result. Skipping that stuff can take 45 minutes to an hour off of your game time.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

quakster posted:

The PS3 version is almost 1:1 with the Wii version, optional waggle controller support included.

The PS3 version doesn't have Move support, you have to aim with the stick.

Personally, I'd say this is the hierarchy of Resident Evil 4 ports, for anyone who's interested in playing it for the first time.

- Wii
- PS3
- Gamecube
- PS2

I've not played the PC version, though I've heard it's dogshit out of the box but can be fixed with mods?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ein Bear posted:

I've not played the PC version, though I've heard it's dogshit out of the box but can be fixed with mods?

Arguably there's mods to make the PC version look even better than the HD re-releases.

By the way, what mods would people recommend?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RE6 has been in development for 2 years, will have demo, other stuff too

Captain Seafart posted:

Do we know if Operation Raccoon City will have co-op? To clarify, I'm talking about the kind of co-op where you player the main game together as opposed to playing a separate multi-player game mode (such as horde mode).

Last time I checked it has 1-4 player online campaign co-op.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
So Mercenaries 3DS question, what does improved weapon handling actually do? It's a bit vague.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I loved outbreak. I wish they would remake it or do another one. There was nothing more satisfying than killing some rear end in a top hat who turned into a zombie 2 minutes after stealing a weapon and running off alone.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

TheJoker138 posted:

A friend just pointed out to me that the RE6 logo looks like a woman blowing a giraffe. I will never be able to unsee it now. It's like 2012 olympics logo all over again.
drat you, now that's all I can see too! :argh:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Different subject: A friend just pointed out to me that the RE6 logo looks like a woman blowing a giraffe. I will never be able to unsee it now. It's like 2012 olympics logo all over again.

Wait, what?

...Oh god, gently caress you. Why can't I look at it like a normal six again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Theswarms posted:

So Mercenaries 3DS question, what does improved weapon handling actually do? It's a bit vague.

Faster reloads, I believe.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Doesn't a guy out there apparently have a copy of RE 1.5 that can be played from start to finish? I remember all of the interest around it flaring up again when Playstation Museum or some poo poo posted all kinds of new footage from the game and claimed some guy had let one of the administrators play it. But he was a collector so naturally he was being a dick about releasing it and asking for a poo poo load of money for it. At least that's what I remember.

gently caress that guy forever for not releasing it online. :(

(granted it was scrapped for a reason so it's probably a lovely game, but even if it's unfinished I've always wanted to play it because, well, just because)

Reive
May 21, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

Doesn't a guy out there apparently have a copy of RE 1.5 that can be played from start to finish? I remember all of the interest around it flaring up again when Playstation Museum or some poo poo posted all kinds of new footage from the game and claimed some guy had let one of the administrators play it. But he was a collector so naturally he was being a dick about releasing it and asking for a poo poo load of money for it. At least that's what I remember.

gently caress that guy forever for not releasing it online. :(

(granted it was scrapped for a reason so it's probably a lovely game, but even if it's unfinished I've always wanted to play it because, well, just because)
That reminds me, not RE 1.5 but another never released game:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36392

Please donate people, I want to see this so bad.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Resident Evil is an interesting series for me. Out of playing all the games (except the survivor ones and Code Veronica), Resident Evil 4 and Outbreak are the only two I've finished, yet I love the series dearly. I also really enjoy the movies despite being pieces of poo poo.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

jetgrindeggy posted:

Why is that such a hindrance? If I remember correctly, the backgrounds are all CGI, can't they just be re-rendered at a higher resolution?

It depends whether they held onto the original assets. Capcom are also lazy and put no effort into their HD ports. The reason they chose Code Veronica over other games to remake is because it is fully 3d.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TheJoker138 posted:

RE: Apocalypse is an awful movie, sure. But it's fun. Same goes for all of them.

Hate to be the guy who needs it spelled out for him, but...how? I mean, I can see the "giraffe with a backwards head" bit, but where is someone blowing it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hate to be the guy who needs it spelled out for him, but...how? I mean, I can see the "giraffe with a backwards head" bit, but where is someone blowing it?

The head isn't backwards, it's a two legged Giraffe who is looking forward. It's like the Toys R Us mascot giraffe:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

You just had to make it worse by adding Geoffrey the Giraffe.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Thank you Neogaf.

They forgot to color his penis though.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh I found the USS jackets that they were giving away on InsertedEvil. Since I pretty much missed the whole contest, I searched it up to see if I could just obtain one normally and it's $149. Argh. And then like a $10 shipping on top of that.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

Digital Scumbag posted:

The first Resident Evil movie was a pleasant surprise, mostly because we all expected crap. The second started to creep into stupid superpowers - Alice vs Nemesis at the end was retarded. The third continued the descent and the fourth one was a train wreck (why were Chris and Claire in this one anyway?).

The worst things about the Resident Evil movies are:

A) Alice is just Mary Sue overdrive and doesn't let any of the other characters do anything of value. Superpowers basically ruin the whole point of the game.

B) It was nothing to do with Resident Evil. They could have simply changed the names form the beginning and it wouldn't have made a difference.

That all been said, at least 2 and 3 were more entertaining than the RE CG Game. That was a snooze fest.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

What's the general consensus on the 2 RE5 DLC campaigns? I mean the one with Josh and Jill and then the one that's in the mansion(?) or something. Are either of them worth picking up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

DO IT TO IT posted:

What's the general consensus on the 2 RE5 DLC campaigns? I mean the one with Josh and Jill and then the one that's in the mansion(?) or something. Are either of them worth picking up?

The Desperate Escape (Josh/Jill) is pretty fun, its basically all action. The mansion one, "Lost in Nightmares(?), is all suspense and a throwback to the original game.

Personally, I liked Desperate Escape more, but mostly due to the annoying finale of Lost in Nightmares.