Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm intrigued by everyone who thought it was Badlands. I just finished watching it and there's not a shot anywhere similar to that in the movie. At least nothing in the Purple/Orange sky area.

Eh. Having not seen the film in years, it's the first thing I thought of when I saw that screenshot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm intrigued by everyone who thought it was Badlands. I just finished watching it and there's not a shot anywhere similar to that in the movie. At least nothing in the Purple/Orange sky area.

It looks a lot like the poster at a cursory glance.

edit: drat, great minds SubG.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Since they have a working relationship with MGM now, think it could be Heaven's Gate? (I've never seen it so I am most likely wrong but I have been hoping it would pop up eventually)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Since they have a working relationship with MGM now, think it could be Heaven's Gate? (I've never seen it so I am most likely wrong but I have been hoping it would pop up eventually)

Heaven's Gate is like every color of the rainbow, if the entire rainbow was sepia.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

SubG posted:

Eh. Having not seen the film in years, it's the first thing I thought of when I saw that screenshot too.

Ah, I can definitely see it now. Shame it isn't.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Has anybody seen Alambrista? Sounds pretty cool, and Ned Beatty is the light of my life so I'm shocked I've never heard of it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pfirti86 posted:

I just finished watching Tiny Furniture. It wasn't as terrible as some of you were making it out to be, but I found myself really starting to hate the main character about 10 minutes into the film, and that feeling never went away.

I also hated the main character and felt that she was a completely pathetic individual. Along with Bellflower, it seems like the writer/director/star just adapted their diary to script form with no real attention to good storytelling, shot it, and presented it as some brilliant insight into the modern youth experience.

The sad thing is that critics seem to be eager to lap this poo poo up.

I wasn't a fan of Fish Tank either, but it's light-years ahead of Tiny Furniture.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New announcements today. Will we get La Promesse? Being John Malkovich? Alambrista? Y Tu Mama Tambien? Welp, I'm heading out to lunch right now, which is particularly a guarantee they'll be posted in the next half hour.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Good Burger?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#607 - A HOLLIS FRAMPTON ODYSSEY (BR/2-disc DVD, April 9)

* Early Films
Manual of Arms (1966 • 17 minutes • Black & White • Silent)
Process Red (1966 • 3 minutes, 30 seconds • Color • Silent)
Maxwell’s Demon (1968 • 4 minutes • Color/Black & White • Silent)
Surface Tension (1968 • 9 minutes, 30 seconds • Color • Monaural)
Carrots & Peas (1969 • 5 minutes • Color • Monaural)
Lemon (1969 • 5 minutes • Color • Silent)
Zorns Lemma (1970 • 60 minutes • Color • Monaural)

* Films from Hapax Legomena
(nostalgia) (1971 • 36 minutes • Black & White • Monaural)
Poetic Justice (1972 • 31 minutes, 30 seconds • Black & White • Silent)
Critical Mass (1971 • 25 minutes, 30 seconds • Black & White • Monaural)

* Films from Magellan
The Birth of Magellan: Cadenza I (1977–1980 • 6 minutes • Color • Monaural)
Pans 0–4 and 697–700 (1974 • 1-minute each • Color • Silent)
INGENIVM NOBIS IPSA PVELLA FECIT, Part I (1975 • 5 minutes • Color • Silent)
Magellan: At the Gates of Death, Part I: The Red Gate I, 0 (1976 • 4 minutes, 20 seconds • Color • Silent)
Winter Solstice (1974 • 33 minutes • Color • Silent)
Gloria! (1979 • 9 minutes, 30 seconds • Color • Monaural)

•Audio commentary and remarks by filmmaker Hollis Frampton on selected works
•Excerpted interview with Frampton from 1978
•A Lecture, a performance piece by Frampton, recorded in 1968 with the voice of artist Michael Snow
•Gallery of works from Frampton’s xerographic series By Any Other Name
•PLUS: A booklet with an introduction by film critic Ed Halter and essays and capsules on the films by Frampton scholars Ken Eisenstein, Bruce Jenkins, and Michael Zryd

#608 - HAROLD AND MAUDE (BR/DVD, April 17)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the
Blu-ray edition
•Optional remastered stereo soundtrack
•Audio commentary by Hal Ashby biographer Nick Dawson and producer Charles B. Mulvehill
•Illustrated audio excerpts of seminars by Ashby and writer-producer Colin Higgins
•New interview with songwriter Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens)
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Wood; a 1971 New York Times profile of star Ruth Gordon; and excerpted transcripts of two interviews, one from 1997 with star Bud Cort and director of photography John Alonzo and one from 2001 with executive producer Mildred Lewis

#609 - ALAMBRISTA! (BR/DVD, April 17)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New audio commentary featuring director Robert M. Young and coproducer Michael Hausman
•New interview with actor Edward James Olmos
•Children of the Fields, a 1973 short documentary by Young, accompanied by a new interview with the director
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film historian Charles Ramírez-Berg

#610 - THE ORGANIZER (BR/DVD, April 24)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the
Blu-ray edition
•Introduction by director Mario Monicelli from 2006
•Trailer
•PLUS: An essay by film critic J. Hoberman

ECLIPSE SERIES 32: PEARLS OF THE CZECH NEW WAVE (4-disc DVD, April 24)

* Pearls of the Deep
* Daisies
* A Report on the Party and the Guests
* Return of the Prodigal Son
* Capricious Summer
* The Joke

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My take:

Hollis Frampton - Only seen Zorn's Lemma... curious to see more, but very hesitant about it. Rental.

Harold and Maude - A favorite back in college, now I find it a bit too twee. Seen it a bunch of times, but might check it out for the extras. Possible rental.

Alambrista - Never heard of it before yesterday. Maybe good, I dunno. Rental.

The Organizer - I've enjoyed the Monicelli I've seen (Madonna Street, Grande Guerra) but not enough to blind-buy anything. Rental.

Czech New Wave - Daisies is terrific and Capricious Summer is good. I've heard good things about Party and the Guests. Rental, possible (but doubtful) purchase

Criterion: saving me money in 2012

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

FitFortDanga posted:

#608 - HAROLD AND MAUDE (BR/DVD, April 17)

Love that cover.

I like Harold and Maude but I'm not sure how much, I'll have to watch it again and then decide if I'll be picking it up.

I will probably blind-buy The Organizer as I am a huge fan of ~comedy italian style~ films.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Another one... Blu-Ray upgrade of Late Spring, April 17th. I like it quite a bit, but I've already bought and sold it once. Pass.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I've wanted to see Harold and Maude for a while now, so I might check this release out (also agreeing that it's a great cover). And the Blu-Ray for Late Spring is cool, probably means I'll be able find a good price on a used DVD from someone who upgraded.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Hollis Frampton - Only seen Zorn's Lemma... curious to see more, but very hesitant about it. Rental.
I hate Zorn's Lemma, but (nostalgia) and Poetic Justice are really cool experimental works. I'm annoyed that they didn't put out the whole Hapax Legomena series though, was hoping to watch the ones that aren't available anywhere. I'm also really curious how "Audio commentary and remarks by filmmaker Hollis Frampton on selected works" will work seeing as the guy died in 1984.

The Organizer sounds like the most interesting release to me, so I'm disappointed that, like The Letter Never Sent, it will have no extras.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I hate Zorn's Lemma, but (nostalgia) and Poetic Justice are really cool experimental works. I'm annoyed that they didn't put out the whole Hapax Legomena series though, was hoping to watch the ones that aren't available anywhere. I'm also really curious how "Audio commentary and remarks by filmmaker Hollis Frampton on selected works" will work seeing as the guy died in 1984.

There's a ton of extant audio material from Frampton at both the Harvard Film Archive as well as at Anthology Film Archives, so it's not like they were at any serious disadvantage in compiling those commentaries.

As to why the whole Hapax saga isn't on there, I'm not 100% on the details, but I know Anthology just bankrolled a massive restoration of all of them in tandem with NYU, so it may not have been financially responsible to include/buy the rights to distribute them, or go to the trouble of their own restorations when those are already available. Beats me.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In my continuing education on great (Criterion) Samurai films I just started watching my bluray of Harakiri and holy hell, the bamboo wakizashi scene is one of the most excruciating things I've seen in years, and this is coming from a big horror buff. I was grimacing through that entire scene.

What a great, beautifully framed film so far, and after seeing his period work on Thirteen Assassins, I'm really looking forward to seeing Miike's remake, too.

Also, while it's not a Samurai movie per say, Sansho the Bailiff is set in the same period and I've heard some really great things about it. Anyone able to share their personal experience?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Hell Diver posted:

What a great, beautifully framed film so far, and after seeing his period work on Thirteen Assassins, I'm really looking forward to seeing Miike's remake, too.

Also, while it's not a Samurai movie per say, Sansho the Bailiff is set in the same period and I've heard some really great things about it. Anyone able to share their personal experience?

Sansho the Bailiff is nothing like Harakiri. It's grim, but it's more similar to Ugetsu. Mizoguchi really isn't like Kobayashi at all.

If you watch Ugetsu and like it and Sansho, I'd recommend Onibaba and Kuroneko. They have a fairly dream-like atmosphere and there are some mild horror aspects. Those two would probably be easier to watch for you than Sansho, I think.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Sansho is like Despair: The Movie

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Criminal Minded posted:

Lovely. I'll probably still give it a watch, but I also want to check out Kuroneko and Kwaidan along with a couple Kurosawa films whenever the next sales comes around.

Thanks for the input, guys.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Criminal Minded posted:

I haven't seen Sansho is it really more depressing than Bresson stuff like Au Hasard Balthazar and Lancelot, I'm not sure I could take that :ohdear:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

leokitty posted:

I haven't seen Sansho is it really more depressing than Bresson stuff like Au Hasard Balthazar and Lancelot, I'm not sure I could take that :ohdear:

Au Hasard Balthazar is a Disney movie compared to Sansho.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Human Condition? Night and Fog? (I mean, as long as we're having the Criterion Despair Olympics....)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Human Condition? Night and Fog? (I mean, as long as we're having the Criterion Despair Olympics....)

Human Condition is pretty bad, yeah, but so drat repetitive that it doesn't maintain the sense of despair that Sansho does over 9 hours. Night and Fog has that weird jaunty music which is a bit of a mood killer. :geno:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Grey Gardens upgrade coming, via newsletter

Le Havre coming, via iTunes

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Awesome on Le Havre

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Bresson's L'Argent also likely as a new Janus print is at Film Forum

Lobsterdeth
Jan 10, 2012

Every so often one of my cartoons leaves the nest and goes out into the world to make its way on its own. And then I hear about it. I hear about it from THE MORONS, the society of goons who HAVE THE MOST PROFOUND OBJECTIONS to what I am saying portraying, and, most of all, to what I am thinking.
Where is my blu-ray The Hidden Fortress, Criterion? You said there would be blu-ray Hidden Fortress. :colbert:

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Lobsterdeth posted:

Where is my blu-ray The Hidden Fortress, Criterion? You said there would be blu-ray Hidden Fortress. :colbert:

I've been wondering the same thing about Rashomon and Wild Strawberries. :argh:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Also there might be a Four Nights of the Dreamer DVD as there's a new print supervised by the DP, but it's not a Janus print so not a Criterion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wild Strawberries must have De Duva as an extra. Criterion wanted it on The Seventh Seal, but couldn't arrange the rights/transfer in time. Its a hilarious parody that made Bergman laugh. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2QmLWWxq4

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Newsletter came out yesterday. I have absolutely no idea what the wacky animal signifies this time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Grey Gardens

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm honest-to-god afraid of what high definition might reveal in Grey Gardens.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I really like Grey Gardens and all, but meh, I was hoping for a more exciting blu upgrade. Like Tenenbaums or Colonel Blimp.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So apparently the local Vintage Stock has a Criterion section now. I picked up my 3rd Criterion, Seven Samurai, but I noticed they had a copy of The Third Man. That's the really rare one right? They had it for 50 dollars, which is pretty ridiculous for a DVD, but on ebay it looks like it can go for a lot more.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Buy it.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Well, it depends on how much you like the movie. It's probably one of my favorites, so I bought it back when it was in print, and you can think of it as just spending 10 bucks more than if you'd bought most new Criterions at regular price at Barnes & Noble.

Of course, if you're looking to flip it, it's simultaneously a good investment and a terrible waste of one of Cotten and Welles' best roles.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh I've seen the movie before. Its a great film but I don't really feel like going in on it at the moment, not for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I gave my little sister my Criterion of Ran for Christmas, since she loves Japan. She did not give a crap. :(