Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, you'll probably be able to get more for your trouble if you put a hard drive in there. Doesn't need to be big or anything. People flip their gently used hard drives all the time; check some classifieds or SA Mart and stick it in there. A computer that is already basically working will definitely command a better price, obviously. Lots of people will not really care that the optical drive is hosed.

Yeah sticking a cheap hard drive in there isn't a huge hassle, just a matter of getting the OS installed since I only have the Snow Leopard install disc and no working optical drive. Is there any way to get Snow Leopard on a thumb drive with a PC? My other computer is an Air :sigh:

And for the curious, the battery is relatively new. I had it replaced like a year ago and it only has around 40 or so cycles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any potential buyer will probably be thinking the same thing, and think "what price is worth my trouble?" I have no idea what you have to do. You could probably clone the Snow Leopard CD onto an 8GB flash drive using whatever program on Windows and have it work out, but you'll have to Google and experiment. Putting Lion on there would probably get people feeling saucier in the loins about buying it up. Would make it seem newer.

DeeVoc
Oct 27, 2008
Anyone have any experience with a time machine compatible router, like say the Netgear N600 WNDRD3800 ? I'm in the market for a new router anyways and can still return my Asus RT-N16 which only does basic samba sharing, this netgear model seems to be my only option for bonjour/time capsule storage.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

nwin posted:

I dunno...I'm thinking with how much she'll really mess with photoshop, that MBP on micro center for 999 looks pretty sweet. She's also saying she really wants the ability to watch DVDs and I know she wouldn't use a SuperDrive attachment on the air...

Tell her to stop using optical media. That stuff was obsolete before blu-ray even came out...

Honestly I'd say get the Air. If she doesn't like it you can return it and get a Pro. It's not something that's easy to figure out without trying.

Also note the resolution on the 13" MBP is horribly low. It's only even usable because of Mission Control & Spaces.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I'm upgrading my 2009 Mac Pro with more ram, a couple SSDs, USB 3 & eSATA, etc... I wasn't really planning on upgrading my graphics card, but I figure I might as well ask and find out if there is any reason to, just in case. Mine has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of memory. I don't do any gaming, just lots of Photoshop/Indesign/Fireworks/Xcode work. Is there any reason at all for me to upgrade the graphics card?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Tell her to stop using optical media. That stuff was obsolete before blu-ray even came out...
You can't exactly rent movies on a USB stick. There's streaming but it's not for everything. Or everyone.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We ended up going with the MacBook pro. Migration manager took care of everything except photoshop elements won't load properly. It says to reinstall but we can't even uninstall the thing. It still runs fine on the iMac, so not really sure what's happening.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

evensevenone posted:

You can't exactly rent movies on a USB stick. There's streaming but it's not for everything. Or everyone.

Internet streaming "rentals" of stuff that's not available on netflix is really commonplace and the quality is way better than on DVD. I say for the movies that are really truly unobtainable by other means, she should rip and encode them in HandBrake while she's doing something else and watch it however she wants. Otherwise embrace her life as a poor and bad person.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Choadmaster posted:

I'm upgrading my 2009 Mac Pro with more ram, a couple SSDs, USB 3 & eSATA, etc... I wasn't really planning on upgrading my graphics card, but I figure I might as well ask and find out if there is any reason to, just in case. Mine has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of memory. I don't do any gaming, just lots of Photoshop/Indesign/Fireworks/Xcode work. Is there any reason at all for me to upgrade the graphics card?
You're fine with the current graphics card.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Choadmaster posted:

If you want multiple monitors, the upgraded cards have 2 display port and 1 DVI, as opposed to the GT120's 1 display port and 1 DVI. There isn't really any other difference unless you're gaming or doing 3D modeling work.

FYI: DVI to Displayport converters exist and work with (non-Thunderbolt) Cinema Displays, but they're like $80.

Quixotic Pickle
Sep 27, 2009
I'm a poor college student who can't afford to upgrade to the latest & greatest. Currently I'm running my 2006 1.86 CoreDuo MacBook, but it's showing its age. I need to upgrade to something even slightly newer than this that can handle more RAM. I've been keeping an eye on ebay to get a gauge on the going rates of different models, but here's where I'm kinda torn... I can only afford $750 tops. That might even be stretching it just a touch.

Anyways...the models I've been considering are the 2008 13.3" Unibody MacBook (not Pro). I'm also looking at the 15" 2008 Penryn MacBook Pro. Basically, I want something aluminum that can run Lion, and can handle more than 2GB RAM.

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I had the the aluminum unibody MacBook, and I'll try to remember my impressions of it:
  • Disappointing screen. LED backlighting was fine, and I seem to remember the contrast being okay too so text work wasn't an issue. Color reproduction and viewing angles however, weren't the best. I think they got a lot of flack for it and even fixed it later in its production, before it was replaced by the 13" MBP.
  • No FireWire. If you don't need it, don't worry about it. They got flack for that too, again before it was replaced by the 13" MBP.
  • Okay battery life, but not stellar. It was worse than my black MacBook, if I remember correctly.
  • Aluminum unibody construction is amazing. Other vendors still haven't caught up, and 4 years later it still looks cutting-edge.
  • Great trackpad, though I'm not sure it got full support for Lion's gestures. Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other.
With all of that said, I still think it's a solid choice and can probably be found for $600-700.

evilmnky204
Sep 3, 2011

Quixotic Pickle posted:

I'm a poor college student who can't afford to upgrade to the latest & greatest. Currently I'm running my 2006 1.86 CoreDuo MacBook, but it's showing its age. I need to upgrade to something even slightly newer than this that can handle more RAM. I've been keeping an eye on ebay to get a gauge on the going rates of different models, but here's where I'm kinda torn... I can only afford $750 tops. That might even be stretching it just a touch.

Anyways...the models I've been considering are the 2008 13.3" Unibody MacBook (not Pro). I'm also looking at the 15" 2008 Penryn MacBook Pro. Basically, I want something aluminum that can run Lion, and can handle more than 2GB RAM.

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

This might sound a little (very, maybe) weird, but I've been trying to sell my Macbook Pro for a while now. It's the mid 2010 model, the base 13". 4 GB of RAM, I installed a 1 TB HD in it (barely used, quickly stopped using the machine soon afterwards), and a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. It can (and has) run Lion.

I don't want to seem as spam as a typical "buy all my poo poo cheap!" but for $700, it could easily be yours. PM me if you want to set anything up.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I had the the aluminum unibody MacBook, and I'll try to remember my impressions of it:
  • Disappointing screen. LED backlighting was fine, and I seem to remember the contrast being okay too so text work wasn't an issue. Color reproduction and viewing angles however, weren't the best. I think they got a lot of flack for it and even fixed it later in its production, before it was replaced by the 13" MBP.
  • No FireWire. If you don't need it, don't worry about it. They got flack for that too, again before it was replaced by the 13" MBP.
  • Okay battery life, but not stellar. It was worse than my black MacBook, if I remember correctly.
  • Aluminum unibody construction is amazing. Other vendors still haven't caught up, and 4 years later it still looks cutting-edge.
  • Great trackpad, though I'm not sure it got full support for Lion's gestures. Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other.
With all of that said, I still think it's a solid choice and can probably be found for $600-700.
I also had an aluminium Unibody MacBook (which my parents are now using) and I'd agree with pretty much all these points. My parents run Lion on it and as far as I know it supports all the gestures (I've seen mission control used via swiping anyway).

As far as battery goes, you're looking at 3-4 hours compared to the 6-8 hours you'd get on the newer 13" MBPs (like the one mentioned in the post above mine). I know you said you didn't have a lot of cash, but later on if you can afford an SSD it'd be worthwhile as it makes the computer feel brand new again and will probably help you eke out a bit more battery life to boot.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I have a unibody MacBook with an SSD replacing the disc dive and it's been pretty great to me. The one great shortcoming is that the screen is pretty terrible, particularly as it relates to viewing angle. I think Apple actually stealth updated the aluminum MacBook screens before eventually promoting it to 13" MacBook Pro status.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Macbook screen is so terrible.

Quixotic Pickle
Sep 27, 2009
Thank you for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. As I've been reading favorable reviews about the 2010 13" MBP, I've been talking with EvilMnky further.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
I have a hard drive plugged into an AEBS for Time Machine. It works great for the automatic backups, but when I enter Time Machine to restore a file it takes a long time to connect to the share and a long time to browse the backups when TM finally loads. Would a Time Capsule, with its internal drive, be relatively instantaneous or is it simply a function of doing this on a network? I don't think that it should matter, but I have an Airport Express as my primary router and the AEBS extending it.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

SmirkingJack posted:

I have a hard drive plugged into an AEBS for Time Machine. It works great for the automatic backups, but when I enter Time Machine to restore a file it takes a long time to connect to the share and a long time to browse the backups when TM finally loads. Would a Time Capsule, with its internal drive, be relatively instantaneous or is it simply a function of doing this on a network? I don't think that it should matter, but I have an Airport Express as my primary router and the AEBS extending it.

In my experience the Time Capsule is quicker for both backups and browsing the Time Machine contents when compared to a USB drive on a Airport Extreme. It's not instantaneous but is noticeably quicker and actually supported by Apple.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I have a mid-2007 15" MBP which desperately needs a new battery. Apple has them for $129 which is too high for me. I see batteries like this on Amazon for $30. Are they legitimate?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wrong thread, kinda. But holy poo poo Apple, those numbers.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

fleshweasel posted:

Internet streaming "rentals" of stuff that's not available on netflix is really commonplace and the quality is way better than on DVD. I say for the movies that are really truly unobtainable by other means, she should rip and encode them in HandBrake while she's doing something else and watch it however she wants. Otherwise embrace her life as a poor and bad person.
Additionally, iTunes does download rentals, and the USB SuperDrive plus something like RipIt would make DVDs only a minor inconvenience.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Siroc posted:

I have a mid-2007 15" MBP which desperately needs a new battery. Apple has them for $129 which is too high for me. I see batteries like this on Amazon for $30. Are they legitimate?
Most third party Mac batteries are pretty garbage sadly.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Most third party Mac batteries are pretty garbage sadly.

The only ones I even remotely put trust in were the ones from OWC

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ptier posted:

The only ones I even remotely put trust in were the ones from OWC
The one I got a few years back from them was a bit off fit wise, and the remaining time seemed to be a crapshoot once it got down to 15% or so :ssh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Newer Technology stuff is actually pretty decent, I've had clients using their PowerBook / iBook G4 batteries for years with few issues.

And yes, pretty much every no-name battery you can find on Amazon, eBay, Craigslist is uniformly horrible, with the occasional "Mine works yay" mixed in to keep the rubes coming.

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.

Siroc posted:

I bought a cheap knockoff once because my same year as yours MBP hates batteries (my second one had just died). Shortly after using the knockoff the machine would not turn on at all, and I had to have the logic board replaced. That cost me 300 bucks.

If I ever buy another battery for that machine it'll be an official one.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I did something stupid. I bought an iBook G3 14" off ebay and sure enough it wont boot. The battery is fine and the led's on the bottom suggest the charger is fine too. I tried the pmu reset (shift, option, command and power buttons) and still it mocks me with its black screen.

Its a pisser because I love the old school styling and its in Mint Condition. Any ideas before I stick it back on fleabay spare / repair?

Goatshadow
Apr 11, 2002

thegasman2000 posted:

I did something stupid. I bought an iBook G3 14" off ebay and sure enough it wont boot. The battery is fine and the led's on the bottom suggest the charger is fine too. I tried the pmu reset (shift, option, command and power buttons) and still it mocks me with its black screen.

Its a pisser because I love the old school styling and its in Mint Condition. Any ideas before I stick it back on fleabay spare / repair?

Some of the white G3 iBooks had problems with the video chip, becoming desoldered or broken off the logic board, so that you couldn't even use an external monitor. At least, I had one die this way. There seem to some quick fixes for it if you google around..

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I have an 12'' one sitting on a shelf with the GPU repaired with a coin and it's a finicky old bastard - you lift the machine incorrectly and the thing shits itself and you need to power cycle. Doesn't really matter how much pressure is on it and what is used etc., it's still a crapshoot.

The thing is slow as poo poo anyways - can't even run 240p YouTube videos above 10 fps.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Useless tip of the day: Don't use the Hardware control panel installed as part of the CHUD tools to turn off the 'Allow Nap' checkbox on an old PowerPC G5 based machine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What's a G5? :confused:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
An airplane?

:psyduck:

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away
So a few weeks ago I did something maybe silly and plugged my Macbook Pro (mid-2009 13") into an unusual outlet at the airport, and it shut down immediately. I thought maybe I had fried it, but everything seemed basically normal at first. However, since then, a couple of problems emerged:

1) when opening the computer from sleep, it wouldn't resume properly (just a black screen), forcing me to hold down the power button before switching it back on from scratch
2) sometimes after this, only 2 out of my 4GB of ram would be recognised.

Both these issues were kind of sporadic - the sleep issue was only for a few days at a time, eventually fixing itself for a while before returning. The disappearing RAM only happened while the sleep issue was present, but not the WHOLE time the sleep issue was present (sometimes it would start back up with all 4GB).

I took it to the Apple store (still got a few months applecare), but of course at that stage it just happened to all be working perfectly. The guy tested the RAM and reset the SMC but couldn't see anything wrong. Both issues came back a few days later.

It's working fine now and has been for over a week, but I'm wondering if this is something anyone's experienced anything like before? It seems to me like one of the ram sticks is 'kind of' fried, but not totally.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Useless tip of the day: Don't use the Hardware control panel installed as part of the CHUD tools to turn off the 'Allow Nap' checkbox on an old PowerPC G5 based machine.
Worked for me :confused:

(three years ago when I still had my G5)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any reason my brand new MacBook Air won't sleep with the lid open? Twice now I've come back to it dead after work because I forgot to close the lid and both those times I've had to go to school without my laptop to take notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KidDynamite posted:

Is there any reason my brand new MacBook Air won't sleep with the lid open? Twice now I've come back to it dead after work because I forgot to close the lid and both those times I've had to go to school without my laptop to take notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Install all updates
SMC Reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411
Make sure you don't have any programs running in the background that are causing it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple employees are all getting $500 off a Mac? They can only use it once every three years, but drat.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Worked for me :confused:

(three years ago when I still had my G5)

Do it to a 1st gen iMac G5 that's been in constant use since October 2005 and it'll burn out the CPU or at the very least crash the machine within 10 minutes

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 26, 2012