Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Now that multiupload is down for now, you could use Mirrorcreator (http://www.mirrorcreator.com/) for episodes that are under 500MiBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

A mirror would be very much appreciated. I can't even get the download to start.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Duckula posted:

A mirror would be very much appreciated. I can't even get the download to start.

Uploaded the file into the Mirrorcreator, which seems to be currently upping it to other sites; http://mir.cr/Y0QM7EOJ

Btw, I thought it was pretty awkward for the guy in Osaka to have a pink DS and win the RPS :gay:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

Will there be a sub file this time around?

There will be. I was just waiting until multiupload is working correctly again before uploading it.

Grawl posted:

That's what you'll get from most free file hosts, I'm getting somewhere between 50 kb/s and 100 kb/s. I'll mirror it once I have the file, assuming that's ok with Random Stranger.

Mirroring is fine. Same goes for the Mirrorcreator link. Something had to be done while things were screwed up...

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Made a mirror on my site, have fun! Would like to know the speeds people are getting, never really used the host for anything. At least it has a use now :v:

http://www.smokeordie.net/Game+Center+CX+058+-+Masked+Ninja+Hanamaru.avi

Random Stranger (or anyone else who releases episodes), if you want you can use my host for future episodes. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 22, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Nahxela posted:

Zari-Gani, next season's AD! :dance:

I would seriously flip out if that was true.

If I were given the opportunity to drop everything and move to Japan to be made fun of by Arino on TV and play impossible retro games for hours on end with my sub-par platforming skills... well, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

the least weasel posted:

Haha, I'm downloading at 65kb/s from depositfiles, is this just an Euro thing or are they this terrible?

I'm in North America and I got a consistent 130kb/s download that took about an hour to finish.

I once found a list online that showed how long Arino spent playing each game. If anyone would be interested in it I can try and find it again then translate it.

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]

Grawl posted:

Made a mirror on my site, have fun! Would like to know the speeds people are getting, never really used the host for anything. At least it has a use now :v:

Thanks a lot for this! I'm on a wireless internet at my University in Northern Indiana and I'm getting 1.1 MB/s on this.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If you guys are going to talk about what games Arino has cleared then can you please use spoilers?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Now I remember why some of these guys seemed familiar.
They had a cameo appearance as bosses (Hanamaru too) in that quiz game Arino played

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Like many people, I got into this series courtesy of Kotaku's licensed episodes. Once those stopped, I went out searching for any YouTube channel that collected the fansubs. I came across this group's subbed episodes without knowing that SA was involved until the credits.

While I personally thought the dubbed narrator did a pretty good job, I soon saw why people complained about the episodes for cutting content. I seriously love Arino's little tours through Japan's Arcade hangouts, both popular and obscure. It's got that slice-of-life vibe that (if you'll forgive the weeaboo implication) you can't really get in an American show.

Just look at the NInja Gaiden II video where he talks to that lady wiith the premium crackers. She was so drat nice and polite. And Arino himself is such a likeable guy, even though he's largely terrible at the games he plays (stop running into the enemis you gently caress.). The broadcasts where he gets fan support and tips through faxing is some kind of meta poo poo that I just couldn't imagine happening over here. What would the American equivalent be, Twitter posts filled with trolling and spam?

This show has become an almost daily routine for me. The guys responsible are doing a bang-up job, and I'll continue to support the show and their efforts with my watching.

That's got to count for something....right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Grawl posted:

Random Stranger (or anyone else who releases episodes), if you want you can use my host for future episodes. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

2.1 MB/s; thank god, the other link I was around 100 KB/s and it would occasionally stop and towards the end the download just failed altogether.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
They're dropping like flies now. Filesonic is now a personal use only site, meaning you can only download files that you have uploaded. Megaupload getting taken down seems to have started a wave here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Primoman posted:

The broadcasts where he gets fan support and tips through faxing is some kind of meta poo poo that I just couldn't imagine happening over here. What would the American equivalent be, Twitter posts filled with trolling and spam?

That reminds me. February 20 will be a live broadcast and if they do it like before that means a fax machine. We may not be able to watch live but we can send our faxes of support internationally. If we can get some coordination and someone can post the fax number to the thread then we can bring some of that international support on Arino's 40th birthday.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Grawl posted:

Bro, you're a bro. Started to download from DF and it was going to take over 6 hours. Saw your link - done in 6 minutes. Thank you very much but be on the look out for the New Zealand authorities trying to repossess your Mercedes Benz collection.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Multiupload appears to be back up now. I haven't tested uploading a file, but their front page loads, if slowly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cronox2 posted:

They're dropping like flies now. Filesonic is now a personal use only site, meaning you can only download files that you have uploaded. Megaupload getting taken down seems to have started a wave here.

Honestly I think the issue isn't that the companies are scared (though they may be more cautious about flaunting things like Megaupload did), I think it's that Megaupload was the biggest and people aren't able to absorb the impact of them shutting down. Right now everyone is trying to get their files back up for distribution, download anything that they're concerned about, and that's on top of the usual heavy traffic that these sites generate. In a week or two things will be back to normal.

FredMSloniker posted:

Multiupload appears to be back up now. I haven't tested uploading a file, but their front page loads, if slowly.

The front page has been up but people haven't been able to upload anything to them in a couple of days.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only time I call bullshit so far is during the Super Mario Bros 3 episode.

You honestly expect me to believe that's the first time Arino played that game? Isn't there some law that could get you jailed for having not played Super Mario 3 if you owned an NES/Famicom?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Primoman posted:

You honestly expect me to believe that's the first time Arino played that game? Isn't there some law that could get you jailed for having not played Super Mario 3 if you owned an NES/Famicom?
He got caught, why do you think they made him play it?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Primoman posted:

The only time I call bullshit so far is during the Super Mario Bros 3 episode.

As someone who's subjected to cries of "What? You've never played this game??", "What? You've never seen this movie??" etc. all the time, I don't think it's much of a stretch.

I know I've talked about this before, but it's hard for me to jump on the "Arino was playing badly on purpose because nobody would be that bad that game" "Arino lied about not having never played this game because there's no way" theory wagon. In this case, I mean...sometimes, under certain circumstances, there are some games one might miss out on. Especially if you're way more into Dragon Quest and puzzle games than Mario games (such is Arino's case, it seems like).

There's no reason for him to lie or die on purpose anyway. Especially not for suspense's sake -- He's breezed through some game challenges. And he always says when he remembered playing the game as a child, then breezes through it (until reaching the point he gave up on long ago).

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 23, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well yes, I don't know yet what his favorite genres are, but he does strike me so far as a Famicom fan among all else. Given his age and assuming he was gaming at the time, it's a bit hard to believe he would ignore Super Mario 3 considering the crazy hype it was getting back in the day (I think it was even the first NES game to get hype, period. That Mario Earth commercial blew my mind).

He did go and buy NSMB Wii while playing NG2, so he must be a fan. Or playing SMB3 at his show turned him into one (which would be a pretty neat outcome).

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

He probably never owned it as a kid, or had any friends who owned it (it happens -- you couldn't just freely buy/get games back then, nor was it common knowledge which games were best. Remember the America Zarigani guy who said his friend couldn't decide whether to get Dragon Quest or Super Monkey Adventures, only to end up buying the latter?).

Super Mario 3 was a very early episode, too. Season 2, episode 10... he's gotten much better at games since then, and the Wii wasn't out back then either. He may be the "God of Akihabara," "Prince of the Gaming World," "Retro Game Master" among other nicknames now but he was waaay more of a gaming amateur in the early seasons.

I could really relate to him at the beginning of the Milon's Secret Castle challenge when he said "I owned this as a kid!" because that was one of the few NES games I had growing up, too, and it goes to show not everyone had access to the classics growing up. Some of us were stuck with shoddy games like Milon's Secret Castle (no offense to Milon's Secret Castle fans -- that game is just cruel).

ETA: vvv That's something else I can relate to, because the first game console I owned was an NES and the second one I owned was a PS2. So I missed out on a whole crudload of titles, which I'm catching up on now.

To be fair, Milon's Secret Castle is...decent. But no matter how many times I tried it, I could never get past the second level... and I still can't. Don't think I ever beat the first boss, either. It brings back a lot of bittersweet memories, and I say screw that game!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Primoman posted:

Well yes, I don't know yet what his favorite genres are, but he does strike me so far as a Famicom fan among all else. Given his age and assuming he was gaming at the time, it's a bit hard to believe he would ignore Super Mario 3 considering the crazy hype it was getting back in the day (I think it was even the first NES game to get hype, period. That Mario Earth commercial blew my mind).

He did go and buy NSMB Wii while playing NG2, so he must be a fan. Or playing SMB3 at his show turned him into one (which would be a pretty neat outcome).

From what we've seen I think Arino stopped playing Famicom stuff around '86 or '87. He's vaguely familiar with some of the bigger titles that came later and is completely clueless when it comees to anything from the 16-bit era on.

While it's entirely possible that that the NSMB Wii mention was a sponsorship thing I suspect that Arino has grown into a gamer over the course of the series. He's not familiar with the most basic stuff early on, reaches a point where he's playing for fun around season five and six, and starts to get good at games around season ten.

I kind of like Milon's Secret Castle though I didn't play it until after I saw it on the show. It's got an interesting style to it that I like.

Edit: Oh, another thing I've been meaning to mention. Right now Retro Game Challenge is $14.99 at Amazon and they have fifteen copies left. If you don't have it (and you really should) go buy it. People aren't exaggerating when they call it an incredible game.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I also wanted to mention that even though it's far too early to call "retro" , I really want an episode where he plays Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Goddamn was that game a challenge, even by Nintendo Hard standards.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Primoman posted:

Well, remember, Arino would have been around 17-18 when that game came out. Now, I know very little about Japanese culture, but I can assume that at that time, he probably didn't have a ton of time and money for playing games.

Look at me. Some of my employees know I enjoy videogames, and when a game just comes out they'll ask me "Oh, did you get this game yet?" And they can't understand when I explain to them that I can't afford to just get every big new release on the day it comes out, nor do I have the time to play every big game. It's like Skyrim. I don't know if I want to dedicate 40+ hours to a game when I find myself with less and less time to just sit and play videogames. Unless it's the new Mass Effect. gently caress my job. Work will have to work around that for me.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I think that's where a lot of the show's appeal comes from -- how non-intimidating it is to casual gamers. It's inviting to those who struggle with Super Mario World or didn't have the privilege of having access to a lot of games growing up. It's a good way to hook people into the series. "Do you like games but suck at them? Well so does he! There's no shame! Finally, a show for the amateurs!"

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The thing is, Arino plays these games for ludicrous amounts of time with virtually no breaks.

Of course your skills are going to deteriorate if you've been playing for 10+ hours, even if it is a game you're intimately familiar with (Super Mario 3, for instance).

I'd be curious to see how he tackles a game in which he is able to come back to it at daily intervals, but of course that wouldn't make for nearly as interesting a show.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
I started watching this episode, then I thought "Man that looks just like the font used in Yo Noid."

Then I thought "Man, that looks just like the first stage of Yo Noid."

Then I went to Wikipedia. Yo Noid was totally the American localization of Masked Ninja Hanamaru! That's so crazy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

I think that's where a lot of the show's appeal comes from -- how non-intimidating it is to casual gamers. It's inviting to those who struggle with Super Mario World or didn't have the privilege of having access to a lot of games growing up. It's a good way to hook people into the series. "Do you like games but suck at them? Well so does he! There's no shame! Finally, a show for the amateurs!"

And don't forget that it's a great way to see all the games you heard about but never got a chance to play, either because you didn't have the system, or you couldn't get every good game. And of course, nowadays, playing those games can be an experience. Many of them were designed back when a game was supposed to last you a longer time. As much as I would like to play Ninja Gaiden, I don't think I really want to put up with the garbage that comes with it.

Also, I don't think my experience was uncommon. I had an NES growing up, but I never had a SNES. In fact, I missed out on the 16 bit era altogether. We got back in during the Playstation era. I had a few friends who had a similar fate. Videogames were expensive back then, and it wasn't weird to have a very small selection of games.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Plus video games are even more expensive in Japan and Arino was probably a struggling comedian at the time. :v:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Plus video games are even more expensive in Japan and Arino was probably a struggling comedian at the time. :v:

He was a punk rocker.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mister Chief posted:

He was a punk rocker.

I tried to process this mental image and my brain twisted a couple degrees to the right.

Ow :(

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That doesn't pay well either!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Hey, he was in a band at the time.

(One of these days I'm going to have to do a proper index of the series; I was stuck thinking, "Which episode did he play Drummania in?")

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Okay fine, then he was in a punk rock band during high school, then became a cook at a hotel, then in 1990 formed Yoiko with that other guy. He was very busy! :argh:

Edit: Haha, a Yinling reference by Arino in Hanamaru. :psyduck:

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 23, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Another thing to keep in mind is different games were popular in Japan. Dragon Quest completely trumps Final Fantasy, and I'm pretty sure kids in North America didn't go so wild over Xevious.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is different games were popular in Japan. Dragon Quest completely trumps Final Fantasy, and I'm pretty sure kids in North America didn't go so wild over Xevious.

That guy who said no to letting Arino play one of his 500 lives in Xevious, my god.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

I'm getting just south of 100kB/s, no big deal since I don't plan on watching it until about 12 hours from now anyway. Thanks again for everything; this thread just keeps on giving.

joek0 posted:

spoilericiousness

Dude, just a heads-up, but you kinda totally killed the whole point of spoiler usage in the posts above yours. Not such a big deal to me, but a lot of people understandably don't want to know these things until they come up in the show.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SirLarr posted:

I started watching this episode, then I thought "Man that looks just like the font used in Yo Noid."

Then I thought "Man, that looks just like the first stage of Yo Noid."

Then I went to Wikipedia. Yo Noid was totally the American localization of Masked Ninja Hanamaru! That's so crazy.

The question is, does Arino mimic a mumbly Manhattaner talking about Anjre'giant?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Yes, I'm so glad you subbed this! Assuming there's a good mirror, I'm downloading this as soon as I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I had a real Xevious arcade game in my house when I was in a little kid. :colbert: It's not an especially great shooter but the amount of hidden stuff is what makes it so neat.