Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Can anyone point me to some good information on how much vitamin a is safe during pregnancy? I eat a lot of fruits and veggies that have vitamin a every day, and the prenatal supplement I have has vitamin a in it as well. I'm trying to find a reputable source that talks about how much is too much and I haven't been having any luck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

sheri posted:

Can anyone point me to some good information on how much vitamin a is safe during pregnancy? I eat a lot of fruits and veggies that have vitamin a every day, and the prenatal supplement I have has vitamin a in it as well. I'm trying to find a reputable source that talks about how much is too much and I haven't been having any luck...

I would skip the vitamin A if you eat well. Vitamin A is not water soluble so it can build up in your body. I had huge health problems years ago that went undiagnosed for ages. It wasn't until I lost half my hair that I was diagnosed with vitamin A overload. The symptoms started just a little while after I started a multivitamin that was high in vitamin A. If you eat greens every day and have a balanced diet, you are getting plenty.

Edit - a pregnant woman requires approximately 770 μg/day, and 100g of kale (for example) has 680μg.

Chandrika fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 23, 2012

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Ok, any prenatal supplements that don't have vitamin a in them? I haven't been able to find one...

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
I don't think you'll be able to find one because most women don't get enough Vitamin A. However, the good news is that it's really hard to reach toxic levels of Vitamin A if your source is veggies.

I take the Target brand prenatals, and I only take 1 per day instead of the recommended 2 because I keep track of my vitamins from my diet. I eat sweet potatoes or carrots regularly, and I don't worry about skipping my prenatal on those days.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
Anyone have any secret burping techniques for newborns? I cannot seem to get her to burp after feeding. I finally give up, put her down, then 30 minutes later she's in a fit from gas.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

Anyone have any secret burping techniques for newborns? I cannot seem to get her to burp after feeding. I finally give up, put her down, then 30 minutes later she's in a fit from gas.

She may just not be ready to burp after a feeding - not all babies need it. If you're noticing gas pains later, they may be related to her digestion, not from swallowing air. I'd try some of the burping positions that page suggests, maybe 20 minutes after the end of the feeding once her little guts are working. My 9 month old still wakes up whining because she has to burp sometimes, so I just pick her up and hug her against me, let her rest her head on my shoulder, and bounce her around until she burps :)

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Sarsaparilla posted:

Erin was really, really terrible to burp, the only thing that worked, sorta sometimes, was to sit her on our knees, lean her a little forward while cupping her chin in the groove between thumb and forefinger and rub her back up and down firmly like mad.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Hey, Junius. I had a miscarriage earlier in the year and it's pretty similar to what you're experiencing. At what was supposed to be 9 or 10 weeks I had an ultrasound the the sack measured 6 weeks. After some blood tests it was confirmed that it wasn't alive and to expect a miscarriage. I'd also like to note that about a week before that my symptoms were starting to fade and I didn't "feel" as pregnant as in the beginning.

It took about a week and I just started gushing blood one day after a few days of painful cramps. I spend a few long hours in the ER and didn't have any horrible complications. Everything came out and I didn't need a D&C.

Right now I'm 9 weeks pregnant and it's a little scary, but I know the first time is a pretty common thing so I'm more hopeful this time. Also I'm still feeling a lot of the symptoms. I have my first ultrasound in a few weeks so we'll see what happens.

If you have to go through a miscarriage, I'm really sorry. But you'll pull through and be able to try in no time. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me, it helps to hear what others have gone through. My situation seems to mirror yours almost exactly except for the pain; I haven't experienced any pain at all, not even mild cramps. I did have the fading of my pregnant "feeling", though (it's actually started to come back a little, but I think that's just the tiny part of me still in denial hanging on). I had my second lot of blood tests today but won't get the results until Friday.

Congrats on your pregnancy, I really hope everything goes smoothly for you! Here's hoping it won't take my husband and I too long to get back on the ol' horse, so to speak :v:

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

I sit on the couch, put her across my knees (legs hanging off the right, head hanging off the left) and gently pat her back. Usually gets a burp out of her within about 30 seconds.

Of course my daughter's a bit of a self burper and often burps on the boob, so your mileage may vary.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Aqua Hamster posted:

A little derail, but I just had an experience changing Freya and oh my god I had no idea that much poop could fit into a baby that small.

Oh it gets worse. Chris is a very deceptive pooper, he'll have these big gassy explosions that only leave a tiny bit in the diaper, and the smallest little poots that leave poo poo smeared up his back. :cry:

Now I judge how much poop there is by how much the smell makes me gag. It gets pretty potent.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Lyz posted:

Now I judge how much poop there is by how much the smell makes me gag. It gets pretty potent.

Just wait until they start solids...

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I was wondering if anyone had their gallbladder taken out after they'd given birth. How long after did you wait and do you wish you would have waited longer or done it sooner? I am thinking I'd like mine out as soon as possible and some people on the internet have said they had it out the same day they delivered. I don't know if I'd do this, but I'd hate to have to be incapacitated twice in one year and think it might be the smarter option. Opinions?

My gallbladder started going south when I was 5-ish months pregnant. I had 2 attacks when I was pregnant and they told me that unless it became infected, they wouldn't operate until I had the baby. I ended up having it removed when my son was 8 months old because a stone moved from the gallbladder into the bile duct and I couldn't put it off any longer. I ended up spending nearly a week in the hospital because they had to do a couple procedures to try to get the stone out that didn't involve gutting me like a fish. The day I had the gallbladder removed, I nursed my son at 10:30am and didn't nurse him again until 7 that evening. I was SO nauseous and in so much pain, that I couldn't deal. I was lucky that he was on solids some, so my husband kept him home and fed him food and he was fine without the boob because I wasn't around, I guess. As soon as he brought him back to me, he was so happy to nurse.

It was a long week, and I wish I had gotten it out sooner, but I definitely would still wait until I had breastfeeding established and was used to having a baby around. Also, don't necessarily take the word of the nurses about what meds are safe with breastfeeding. I was clear with my surgeon and anesthesiologist that I would not be able to go very long without nursing and we needed a plan to use meds that were ok with it. The nurses were all very wary of me nursing with whatever antibiotic and pain meds they gave me, so I insisted on talking with the hospital pharmacist, who said it was fine and they had specifically picked those because my surgeon talked with him about my nursing the baby. And the anesthesiologist told me that the meds he gave me might make him a bit sleepy, but once I'm awake it's almost all out of my system. Advocate for yourself and your baby if breastfeeding is important to you. Don't let anyone bully you into believing nursing mothers can't take any meds ever and surgery means you have to wean.

On a less scary note, my 77 year old grandmother had her gallbladder out the day before Thanksgiving and she was home and fine within a couple hours. I had a pretty complicated case, so it was a little more difficult.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Sarsaparilla posted:

Another thing - is it possible you aren't doing it firmly enough? It is surprising at first how firmly you really need to pat. If you have someone around who's experienced with young babies you can have them show you.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

My gallbladder started going south when I was 5-ish months pregnant. I had 2 attacks when I was pregnant and they told me that unless it became infected, they wouldn't operate until I had the baby. I ended up having it removed when my son was 8 months old because a stone moved from the gallbladder into the bile duct and I couldn't put it off any longer. I ended up spending nearly a week in the hospital because they had to do a couple procedures to try to get the stone out that didn't involve gutting me like a fish. The day I had the gallbladder removed, I nursed my son at 10:30am and didn't nurse him again until 7 that evening. I was SO nauseous and in so much pain, that I couldn't deal. I was lucky that he was on solids some, so my husband kept him home and fed him food and he was fine without the boob because I wasn't around, I guess. As soon as he brought him back to me, he was so happy to nurse.

It was a long week, and I wish I had gotten it out sooner, but I definitely would still wait until I had breastfeeding established and was used to having a baby around. Also, don't necessarily take the word of the nurses about what meds are safe with breastfeeding. I was clear with my surgeon and anesthesiologist that I would not be able to go very long without nursing and we needed a plan to use meds that were ok with it. The nurses were all very wary of me nursing with whatever antibiotic and pain meds they gave me, so I insisted on talking with the hospital pharmacist, who said it was fine and they had specifically picked those because my surgeon talked with him about my nursing the baby. And the anesthesiologist told me that the meds he gave me might make him a bit sleepy, but once I'm awake it's almost all out of my system. Advocate for yourself and your baby if breastfeeding is important to you. Don't let anyone bully you into believing nursing mothers can't take any meds ever and surgery means you have to wean.

On a less scary note, my 77 year old grandmother had her gallbladder out the day before Thanksgiving and she was home and fine within a couple hours. I had a pretty complicated case, so it was a little more difficult.

Thank you so much! This is pretty much the information I was looking for. I think I'll try to get the surgery as soon as possible, especially now that I know there are medications and things that I can take while breastfeeding. Makes me less nervous. I completely want to breast feed and was wondering how that would all work out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, i was trying to work my way through this entire thread, but my child has forced me to skip to the end early.

Sorry this is long, but I want to accurately describe it.

So I have an 8 week old baby. He's got some reflux issues which seem to be under control with prescription infant Zantac. The problem, and I hate to even say this about him, is that he's not a happy baby.

No matter what time of day or night, whether he's freshly fed or hungry, dirty diaper or clean, tired or awake, he really wont accept being in his crib, pack'n'play, on his back, tummy time, his side, or anyone holding him. The only thing he seems to like is his bouncer, and that's only when he's ready to go to sleep.

Example: I came home for lunch today, to a very frazzled wife, who has been up all night and morning with him. She feeds him, burps him, and then proceeds to hold him in 90 different positions while he gets upset about it until he's hungry again, and repeat. All day, all night. Sometimes he gets tired enough to get some very light broken up sleep in the middle.

If he's tired, MAYBE you can catch him at a time where he'll accept being bounced in his bouncer until he falls asleep without protest, otherwise, he basically gets upset no matter how he's held until he just passes out. If he's not tired, then he just shouts or cries until he gets tired. There are literally (I mean literally) no times when he's just chill and happy for an extended period of time.

If you hold him just right you might be able to get him to focus on something for a minute or two and he'll chill, but never ever does more than a minute or so go by before he gets upset again. He generally doesnt throw a big fit, but he yells and cries until he's moved to another position and the process repeats.

We've tried the 5S approach from Happiest Baby on the Block, and it gets him to calm down, but if he's not ready to go to sleep, you have to shush him until your throat gets sore (ask me how I know), and if you stop he cries.

My wife (and by extension myself) are at our wits end with this, as its 24/7, he's either asleep or upset, one of the two. He doesnt seem to be in pain (he was with the reflux, and thats a TOTALLY different kind of crying and upset), he doesnt seem to have anything wrong, he's just not happy.

I feel bad coming on the internet and complaining about him, and I know its not his fault, but I want to help him, and my wife, and I dont know what to do.

Any ideas? We're ready to try anything at this point.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Something ain't right, is my first instinct. Do you breastfeed? Have you tried eliminating any allergens from your wife's diet then slowly reintroducing them one at a time to see if he's got some kinf of allergic reaction that's making him miserable? If he's formula fed have you tried a non-milk/soy based one? Are his clothes bothering him, any rashes or redness? Sometimes the ink on the tags/printing on the back of the shirt can cause issues, sometimes the detergent used in washing the clothes, sometimes it can be soap or perfume or... you get the idea. Is he warm enough, is he too warm, getting enough to eat gassy etc etc.

If you can rule all those out I'd suggest a visit to the doctor or an experienced midwife to see if they can't figure something out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oracle posted:

Something ain't right, is my first instinct. Do you breastfeed? Have you tried eliminating any allergens from your wife's diet then slowly reintroducing them one at a time to see if he's got some kinf of allergic reaction that's making him miserable? If he's formula fed have you tried a non-milk/soy based one? Are his clothes bothering him, any rashes or redness? Sometimes the ink on the tags/printing on the back of the shirt can cause issues, sometimes the detergent used in washing the clothes, sometimes it can be soap or perfume or... you get the idea. Is he warm enough, is he too warm, getting enough to eat gassy etc etc.

If you can rule all those out I'd suggest a visit to the doctor or an experienced midwife to see if they can't figure something out.

I'll tackle those in order:

- My wife does breastfeed him. We have tried cutting down on dairy and spicy stuff. Doesnt seem to make a difference. The couple of nights where he wasnt fussy, there was no discernable difference in diet.

- We have not tried full-on allergen elimination, that may be next.

-Clothing doesnt seem to make a difference. Sometimes taking his clothes off distracts him for a bit, but thats it.

-No rashes/redness

-We use the baby detergent with no dyes

-We have tried bundling him up, stripping him down, and everything in between, doesnt seem to be a temperature issue

-Gas was a problem for a while, but we also give him mylicon, which seems to kill it. Lately he's been much less gassy, with no change in temperament

I want to say, whatever it is, if its pain, its not serious pain, as you can distract him for a while. While he's distracted, he coos, and smiles and acts like a happy baby until he gets upset a few minutes later. When he was in serious pain with the reflux, he was un-distractable, and his cry was very much a pain cry. This cry isn't, but I dont know what it actually is.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

In place of shushing him, try a white-noise machine. There are smartphone apps that my friends use, and it sounds just like shushing and no-one loses their voice. We have a machine we use at night that sounds like rain.

Does he like going outside? Maybe he's bored? Try long walks to distract him, or playing outside on a blanket (weather-permitting).

I have a friend who had a baby that was miserable, and it turns out he's allergic to dairy. They like to joke she was "feeding the baby poison" but once she eliminated dairy from her own diet the baby had a 180-degree happiness turn.

And hang in there!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VorpalBunny posted:

In place of shushing him, try a white-noise machine. There are smartphone apps that my friends use, and it sounds just like shushing and no-one loses their voice. We have a machine we use at night that sounds like rain.

Does he like going outside? Maybe he's bored? Try long walks to distract him, or playing outside on a blanket (weather-permitting).

I have a friend who had a baby that was miserable, and it turns out he's allergic to dairy. They like to joke she was "feeding the baby poison" but once she eliminated dairy from her own diet the baby had a 180-degree happiness turn.

And hang in there!

We have the whitenoise app, and it works when he's ready to go to bed. We're in Wisconsin, so trips outside are not on the menu right now. On the boredom front, you can distract him for a while with toys, but its the same thing, only for a few minutes

Might have to look into eliminating things from her diet. He has his two month checkup in a couple of days, so I will of course talk to his pediatrician about this as well.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 25, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Regarding elimination diets, it can take several weeks to a month to see marked changes, so if she gives up dairy (which is a big one) and y'all don't see an improvement immediately, don't assume that means it's not the dairy.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I think you may want to bring this up to your ped, because if it's really that bad there may be some underlying issues. Even just ruling something more severe out might help you guys relax a bit.

I had The Fussiest Baby and she was a lot like that until she was about 10 weeks old. The only time she was happy was nursing or being swaddled, forget ever putting her down until you rocked/nursed her into a coma. I kept looking at that "Peak Fussiness Chart" in Happiest Baby and was literally marking days on the calendar until she was 2 months.

Does your wife drink a lot of caffeinated beverages? Cutting out all caffeine seemed to help my daughter settle a bit.

I also had a newborn in Wisconsin winter and we went to the mall and Target a lot just to get out of the house. I found a coffee shop I felt comfortable nursing at and spent a lot of time there too.

Please feel free to PM me, I don't know what city you're in but if it's anywhere near Racine/Milwaukee or Madison I am happy to offer more suggestions. :)

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Lyz posted:

Oh it gets worse. Chris is a very deceptive pooper, he'll have these big gassy explosions that only leave a tiny bit in the diaper, and the smallest little poots that leave poo poo smeared up his back. :cry:

Yeah I know it's gonna get worse, as she was only born last Monday. Thankfully I'm not too repulsed by smells or anything like that, I was just surprised.

Count me in as another Wisconsin parent, there's basically gently caress-all to do in Appleton with a newborn in the winter.

chrysoula
Oct 28, 2003
Dreamfarmer

Olde Weird Tip posted:

- My wife does breastfeed him. We have tried cutting down on dairy and spicy stuff. Doesnt seem to make a difference. The couple of nights where he wasnt fussy, there was no discernable difference in diet.

The baby of somebody I know was kind of like this. They ended up discovering a soy sensitivity but not until he was like 1 year old. I hope you figure this out sooner; it took them that long because unlike dairy soy is EVERYWHERE, apparently. Good luck.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, unfortunately you can't just 'cut down' you've got to eliminate, and for a good while. Caffeine's another good one, as sadly is chocolate.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

chrysoula posted:

The baby of somebody I know was kind of like this. They ended up discovering a soy sensitivity but not until he was like 1 year old. I hope you figure this out sooner; it took them that long because unlike dairy soy is EVERYWHERE, apparently. Good luck.

Have you ever tried to cut out dairy? For a nursing baby, it's the milk protein that causes the sensitivity and that is in everything as well. It shows up on ingredients lists under strange unassuming names too. Giving up dairy for a breast feeding baby's sensitivity is really freakin tough-- my bet friend ended up weaning when her kid had a milk sensitivity because she couldn't handle the lifestyle change.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Dairy is a very good first step. For my son, it was a wheat sensitivity that he outgrew a few months after we discovered it.

Some helpful information:
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/food-allergies/elimination-diet

chrysoula
Oct 28, 2003
Dreamfarmer

Randomity posted:

Have you ever tried to cut out dairy? For a nursing baby, it's the milk protein that causes the sensitivity and that is in everything as well. It shows up on ingredients lists under strange unassuming names too. Giving up dairy for a breast feeding baby's sensitivity is really freakin tough-- my bet friend ended up weaning when her kid had a milk sensitivity because she couldn't handle the lifestyle change.

Nope, my only experience is with an adult who recently discovered a lactose intolerance. My apologies if I underestimated it; I know the mother I knew had to actually change non-food products like makeup and shampoo to get rid of the soy.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Packing my hospital bag today (37 1/2 weeks! HOLY poo poo!) and just wondering what everyone else packed in theirs. I'm going off of a list I found online, but I'm wondering if anyone brought stuff they ended up not needing or wished they'd brought something they didn't think of.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I haven't gone in yet, but we packed our bag a few weeks ago too. I brought clothes for both of us and a few sets for baby, snacks, magazines & books, chapstick, toiletry essentials, and a labeled baggie with our spare phone charger, camera charger, and an extra SD card in there just in case. I'm debating whether or not we need to bring the nursing pillow. I've seen it on a few lists, but will we want it right after the c-section?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I've started packing mine (34 weeks), but my list is waaaay too long. It's ridiculous as I only live 15 mins from the hospital, so my husband could just nip home and get me stuff. I feel slightly embarrassed about bringing my giant pillow and birthing ball too!

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Packing my hospital bag today (37 1/2 weeks! HOLY poo poo!) and just wondering what everyone else packed in theirs. I'm going off of a list I found online, but I'm wondering if anyone brought stuff they ended up not needing or wished they'd brought something they didn't think of.

I used an online list. During the labor time, I used some toiletries, my own towel, and the camera but nothing else. After that, I stayed for two days and ended up using everything, including stuff in the diaper bag and stuff we brought for entertainment. My husband went home and got me more clothes because I didn't like the hospital's nursing gowns.

Edit - my hospital had birthing balls, so if yours doesn't don't feel bad about bringing one.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I didn't use most of what we brought.

I watched a Law & Order marathon in the room during my induction, which kept me distracted enough. I didn't read any of the magazines I brought, I didn't really listen to the iPod, but we did use the laptop a LOT because I wasn't focused enough during my recovery to watch movies or read books but I had enough attention span to read blogs/emails/etc.

I cherished chapstick, hand lotion, hair ties, fuzzy socks, and a big gentle hairbrush. Bring a nursing pillow, but we didn't use the other bed pillow we brought from home.

We were surprisingly busy & distracted during my C-section recovery. All I really wanted to do was sleep and hang out with my kid.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
- diapers (turned out to be unnecessary, hospital supplied us with plenty and gave us some to go home)
- going home outfit for baby (warmest one you have)
- receiving blanket for baby
- going home outfit for me
- toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, deodorant
- warm socks (hospital slipper socks suck)
- sweater or robe - you will overheat when the baby is on you and freeze when it isn't
- pacifier if you don't think the hospital will give you one... very handy for the car ride home
- camera
- laptop (you will have downtime, the kiddo will sleep a lot)

That's all I took, I didn't really need anything else, the hospital let us bring a lot of stuff home. I didn't bring any shower stuff cause I was so broken and tired I didn't care what I was washing myself with in the hospital shower. They'll give you as many pillows and blankets as you want, you can use those for nursing no prob.

That being said, I guess I'm out of here, since Christopher is now three months old. I'll leave you with this latest glamor shot:

If torturing babies with cute outfits is wrong, I don't ever want to be right.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Here's what I learned from the first time around (that I wished I had brought along):

Snacks
Boppy/nursing pillow (I prefer the Boppy and I had brought the My Brest Friend which was cumbersome and annoyingly stiff when learning how to nurse)
Comfortable pillow from your own bed
Good sized towel
loose neck sleep shirt (for easier nursing)

The hospital supplied: diapers, chapstick, lotion, OTC meds (motrin/tylenol), lanolin, and pretty much anything you'd need for the baby short of an outfit including even a pacifier if you choose to use one.

The above will vary by hospital.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
My Boppy was my best friend in the Hospital. I agree with skipping the showering supplies. You are NOT going to feel like a shower in the hospital after surgery/birth.
I brought my pillow from home too and was really happy with it. They do provide hospital pillows, but they are flat and annoying - I was so much happier with mine.

Definitely bring snacks. The hospital will feed you but I found that I was only awake during the night time (labor got my schedule all screwed up). So the caf was closed and the food they brought was cold by the time I got to it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sarsaparilla posted:

My Boppy was my best friend in the Hospital. I agree with skipping the showering supplies. You are NOT going to feel like a shower in the hospital after surgery/birth.
I brought my pillow from home too and was really happy with it. They do provide hospital pillows, but they are flat and annoying - I was so much happier with mine.

Definitely bring snacks. The hospital will feed you but I found that I was only awake during the night time (labor got my schedule all screwed up). So the caf was closed and the food they brought was cold by the time I got to it.

I couldn't WAIT to take a shower after giving birth. I did not bring a towel from home and the hospital towels were small and scratchy and awful. I will DEFINITELY bring a nice fluffy big towel if I have another baby. I didn't really care about not having my own shampoo or anything like that, but MAN, WHY DIDN'T I BRING A TOWEL?

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007
I didn't give birth in the hospital, but when my doula brought me some food that I wanted in labour, I was so happy I cried. And when my honey brought me fresh homemade juice after my daughter was born, it was total bliss. So I'd recommend having some delicious food in your bag!

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Bring something that can go on your feet after they become unbelievably swollen from all the IV fluids! That poo poo was unreal; no shoes fit for a week or two. A Boppy is a great idea, so are a blanket and pillow from home. Stick an air mattress, sleeping bag and pillow for your husband in the car, to bring in as needed. I liked having my laptop there to watch DVDs during the lengthy induction. Chapstick, hair ties and my own toiletries were awesome. I really wish I'd had nursing tanks and nursing pads with me; those hospital gowns are scratchy and uncomfortable against sore nipples. Wear some sort of comfortable bottom that is conducive to heavy bleeding and frequent pad changes. You barely need anything for the baby; the hospital has diapers, wipes, blankets and pacifiers. Just bring something for him to wear for going home, a car seat and a warm blanket to tuck around him.

b0g
Jul 18, 2003

Hey

My wife is 5 months pregnant. She just went to the bathroom and wiped. She stated that she had some light colored blood. Is that something to worry about? Do we need to head to the hospital?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Is it bright red? Is there a lot of it? Did you just have sex/did she have an obgyn appointment today? Has she spotted before? How is she feeling otherwise? Any yeast/UTI infection symptoms?

I wouldn't worry about it overmuch unless it increases in color and flow and she starts to feel bad/off/wrong. Chances are her cervix was just irritated by something recently.