Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is like... the exact polar opposite of an "upcoming" horror movie since it was released in 1986 but I just want to say I just saw April Fool's Day on Netflix for the first time after hearing for so long that it was infamous for some reason and I gotta say I enjoyed it.

It was a pleasant surprise seeing Biff from Back to the Future in this as well as Amy Steel from Friday the 13 Parth 2 (man she was a scream queen, wasn't she?) and I liked the characters here a lot more than most 80s slasher flicks.

Oh, and of course I gotta mention at the end all I could say was "No loving way. No loving way would they go there!" They went there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

lizardman posted:

This is like... the exact polar opposite of an "upcoming" horror movie since it was released in 1986 but I just want to say I just saw April Fool's Day on Netflix for the first time after hearing for so long that it was infamous for some reason and I gotta say I enjoyed it.

It was a pleasant surprise seeing Biff from Back to the Future in this as well as Amy Steel from Friday the 13 Parth 2 (man she was a scream queen, wasn't she?) and I liked the characters here a lot more than most 80s slasher flicks.

Oh, and of course I gotta mention at the end all I could say was "No loving way. No loving way would they go there!" They went there.
I liked that pretty much every character was recognizable from other bit 80's movie roles and also that they were all written like complete assholes. Really the boring characters were the ones that seemed less likely to get killed cause they weren't actively being douches. Also regarding the ending gently caress that double 'Oh, it's all really a joke' nonsense. That girl that supposedly had an abortion should have been legit crazy..

In a similar vein, The Ward was actually pretty good. Obviously not really classic Carpenter but it at least kept my interested. Though I could tell something was amiss when the entire crazy ward was full of attractive women. But yea, I felt very similar ending themes between both The Ward and April Fool's Day.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52888

A really positive review is up at AICN for V/H/S, a new found footage horror anthology. Sounds like its right up my alley and they got some decent directors to contribute. Also on AICN is an article about a Last Exorcism sequel.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Mouser.. posted:

The movie is faux intellectual and the story looks like it was written out of a mad libs book. The director constantly prompts in every interview that you need to go back and piece it all together, but he just jumbled that poo poo out of a Wicker Man inspiration. Seems more like he wrote stream of consciousness style, realized that nothing tied together and said gently caress it, I'll just say its too deep for the average man to comprehend and that they didn't watch close enough.

In what way is it "faux-intellectual"? What would qualify a movie as intellectual, and how would it be different from this one?

I honestly don't understand this line of argument - "It tried to be deep and intellectual and stuff, but it really wasn't." Why wasn't it? How did it "try" to be deep, and how did it fail? And how exactly are you so sure of the director's motives?

I didn't think it was all that hard to follow, and the part you spoilered was pretty much exactly how I took it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Are any of the "Masters of Horror" one hour pieces on Netflix any good? I just saw "Pick Me Up" which I quite enjoyed, largely because I really like Michael Moriarty and liked watching him ham it up. Can any one recommend any of the others, or tell which to stay away from?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zwabu posted:

Are any of the "Masters of Horror" one hour pieces on Netflix any good? I just saw "Pick Me Up" which I quite enjoyed, largely because I really like Michael Moriarty and liked watching him ham it up. Can any one recommend any of the others, or tell which to stay away from?

Cigarette Burns is good. The Poe one is okay. The Lovecraft one is so so so bad. Incident on a Mountain Pasa, Jennifer and Imprint are all good too.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Zwabu posted:

Stay away from most of them. "Cigarette Burns" had a cool vibe to it. I liked "Deer Woman," but it wasn't particular scary. "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" was pretty good. "Sounds Like" and "Pelts" were alright, as was "The Washingtonians."

For the most part, the series was a let-down.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Zwabu posted:

I personally loved most of the episodes and it's one of the few TV Series I own on DVD, since I re-watch many of them every so often. However "anthology" horror is often unreasonably appealing to me, so beware my recommendations.

My absolute favorites of the series are: Jenifer, Dreams in the Witch House, Deer Woman, Sick Girl, The V Word, Valerie on the Stairs, and Haeckel's Tale.

A lot of people disagree with me, but I don't think there is a truly "bad" one in the bunch. It's one of my all-time favorite series.

e: haha yep, disagreement right above me. No worries. If you liked "Pick Me Up", you'll probably like most of the first season.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Sick Girl is the best of the MOH, in my opinion. Cigarette Burns, The Black Cat (if you like Stuart Gordon's stuff) and Imprint are also solid.

Pro-Life and Pelts are very corny but still entertaining; We All Scream For Ice Cream and The Washingtonians are god-awful and perfect for drunk viewing.

If you get your hands on Fear Itself, it's tamer in terms of content but some of them are worth watching. I liked Skin & Bones, Eater, Community, and In Sickness & In Health.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Most range from okay to great, the ones I'd recommend staying far away from are Tobe Hooper's Dance of the Dead and Mick Garrison's Chocolate and Valerie on the Stairs. None of the rest come close to being as bad as those three.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

demozthenes posted:

Sick Girl is the best of the MOH, in my opinion. Cigarette Burns, The Black Cat (if you like Stuart Gordon's stuff) and Imprint are also solid.

Agreed with this guy. Also Deer Woman is loving hilarious (in a good way, not in a so-bad-it's-good way).

Watch Dario Argento's if you really wanna witness how far he's fallen as a director.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Not mentioned, but I'm a huge fan of 'The Screwfly Solution', and the short story is definitely worth a read as well.

'Dream Cruise' was also pleasantly creepy in a Japanese horror kind of way.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Craig Spradlin posted:

In what way is it "faux-intellectual"? What would qualify a movie as intellectual, and how would it be different from this one?

I honestly don't understand this line of argument - "It tried to be deep and intellectual and stuff, but it really wasn't." Why wasn't it? How did it "try" to be deep, and how did it fail? And how exactly are you so sure of the director's motives?

I didn't think it was all that hard to follow, and the part you spoilered was pretty much exactly how I took it.

Perhaps I've been offset by the states that I read in a recent interview he did. Here's some samples:

Ben Wheatley posted:

I don’t answer everything, and I don’t offer up everything. There are layers and layers of different meanings in the film, and some of it is very personal meaning that would be difficult for anyone to read in any way. That’s not a failure of the film not being clear enough—it’s just very personal meaning for me. Or meaning for Amy, and there are other little bits that are just jokes for us. So there’s a private interpretation of the film which I don’t really talk about it, but it’s there. You can piece it together.
_______
Wow, so you’ve seen it three times? [Laughs.] Something like that is good, though, isn’t it? It’s interesting that people would be patient enough to go back and watch something again and again. I really appreciate that. The amount of time that people are taking in over-analyzing it, even the people who aren’t really getting it… It’s like taking medicine—people are really forcing themselves to understand it, and I think that’s really good.

It’s much better than just that knee-jerk, “That didn’t make any sense—aaahhh!” reaction. [Laughs.] Or, “Why have they done this?” That kind of reaction that you get from Twitter, but that whole reaction is quite interesting, as well. You’ll often see that people who immediately react with anger and confusion will come back a day or two later and go, “You know, I actually really enjoyed it.” It’s not something that can be consumed in the traditional, straight way, or understood and forgotten about by the time you’ve left the cinema
You really have to be careful with the clues you lay into the film—if they’re too heavy-handed, or you’ve pandered to a slightly stupider audience, then you’ve spoiled it for the people who are even slightly smart. That’s the worry. Also, a lot of people enjoy that teasing out of information and how that makes them think about it even harder. Otherwise, you might as well just have a banner up at the beginning of the movie that flat-out says what’s gonna happen and where it’s gonna go; then, everyone can relax because they know they’re not gonna have any problems understanding it

It just reads too much like he's so self-satisfied in the way that he crafted the film and that you are much smarter than me because you followed all of that right away. Maybe you are, and personally I hate convoluted "deep" plots as much as you might hate stories that write it out A-Z. There's just no need to consider your audience slightly stupid because they don't want to analyze the movie over and over. So I'm sure there's plenty of room for praise out there from people who will "force themselves to understand it" but not me.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 23, 2012

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Watch Dario Argento's if you really wanna witness how far he's fallen as a director.

Awww, come on. Sure it was no "Suspiria", but for a one hour little deal with a creepy loving creature and tons of gore it was alright!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Awww, come on. Sure it was no "Suspiria", but for a one hour little deal with a creepy loving creature and tons of gore it was alright!

If we're talking about Jenifer, it's really loving terrible, and I'm a bit of a late-period Argento apologist (I liked The Card Player for gently caress's sakes). I actually just remembered that he did another one, Pelts, which I didn't see.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

If we're talking about Jenifer, it's really loving terrible, and I'm a bit of a late-period Argento apologist (I liked The Card Player for gently caress's sakes). I actually just remembered that he did another one, Pelts, which I didn't see.

I suppose we can just disagree. Although I liked both the Card Player AND Mother of Tears.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mother of Tears was aight. I am kinda glad I'm not the only one that liked The Card Player. I can't even necessarily defend it as "good," and it's nowhere near old-Argento territory, but I enjoyed it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I just watched Kill List and so...yeah, that happened.

Reading up on the general consensus for interpreting the film, and it pretty much makes sense when viewed from that perspective. The director was actually pretty overt about it in hindsight.

Thank God for subtitles, though, because those were some British Brits all right.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

qbert posted:

Thank God for subtitles, though, because those were some British Brits all right.

Go watch Nil By Mouth.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Pelts is okay, but it doesn't really have any kind of Argento touch to it if that makes sense. It's very gory in a way his signature movies are not.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jennifer is okay but I didn't know it was Argento and that actually makes me like it a bit less.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

weekly font posted:

Jennifer is okay but I didn't know it was Argento and that actually makes me like it a bit less.

I recommend tracking down the Bruce Jones/Bernie Wrightson comic it's based on, it's very good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

leokitty posted:

I recommend tracking down the Bruce Jones/Bernie Wrightson comic it's based on, it's very good.

I was gonna say just watch Harpya, but anything involving Berni Wrightson is a-okay by me.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The best thing about Jennifer was that it made my wife spend a week declaring "I'm Jennifer!" And chasing our dogs around the house. We had her committed shortly after. :(

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I loved Deer Woman. The bit where the cop imagines all the different scenarios was epically brilliant. It was helped somewhat in my mind by the fact that I live in Oklahoma and am a Native American; I know people who actually believe in the Deer Woman - I know one dude who says he saw her once. So, it was great to get an hour of pretty great television about something that feels that close to me.

Pro-Life was not really very good, but Ron Perlman was the whole reason I watched it and the whole reason I was glad I did. He gives a surprising performance; he keeps it pretty wound down for most of the running time, which is awesome; most people would have just played that character waaaayyyy over the top, but Perlman gets it. Even in schlock like that, sometimes you just underplay it and underplay it and you're smarter than the material.

I suddenly realize this could almost sum up Perlman's entire career. I love that guy.

I seem to recall finding almost all of the other Masters of Horror that I've seen pretty disappointing. That one with Michael Moriarty as a truck-driving serial killer was fun, if only for seeing Ben Stone from Law & Order go loving mental. Moriarty elevates that one, but not a whole lot. It's so cliched and stupid that he can't do much with it.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Michael Moriarty pretty much elevates anything he's in, the man should be getting way more work than he does.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Has anyone else seen The Innkeepers?

What an awesome ghost story. Really creepy and goes with a "less is more" mentality that works so well. Its kind of a slow burn but its made the better for it.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

E the Shaggy posted:

Has anyone else seen The Innkeepers?

What an awesome ghost story. Really creepy and goes with a "less is more" mentality that works so well. Its kind of a slow burn but its made the better for it.

Yep, I liked it a lot. It's basically House of the Devil meets The Grudge.

I also watched The Ward last night and it was...competent I guess. Definitely seemed like a mid 80's horror movie, which makes sense I suppose given the director.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

I loved Deer Woman. The bit where the cop imagines all the different scenarios was epically brilliant. It was helped somewhat in my mind by the fact that I live in Oklahoma and am a Native American; I know people who actually believe in the Deer Woman - I know one dude who says he saw her once. So, it was great to get an hour of pretty great television about something that feels that close to me.

The best part about Deer Woman was that it was directed by John Landis and he was able to sneak an American Werewolf in London reference in one of the scenes.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Michael Moriarty pretty much elevates anything he's in, the man should be getting way more work than he does.

This is so very, very true.

I also feel that Brian Benben was delightful in Deer Woman. Talk about an actor who takes crap roles... (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099817/)

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I thought Brian Benben was very funny in Deer Woman. Very much the average schlub. I loved the scene where he stabbed the guy with the punchline in the next scene: "Either of you guys know anything about this guy who claims he was stabbed by a cop?" I cracked up over that one.

VampireRobot
Apr 4, 2004
The black dude in that episode is one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

VampireRobot posted:

The black dude in that episode is one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

Yeah, but I did like the part where he's drunk and gets a calls from his buddy.
He starts bragging about the hot chick in the room with him when the realization hits and he just sobers up in an instant. "I hosed up."

Also, the actual Deer Woman also doesn't have a single line of dialog.

But, I'm pretty sure she wasn't hired for her acting ability.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Are all of MoH on Netflix instant? I've watched a handful and was entertained, but none are on any of my recommendation lists that aren't already in my queue (I've seen probably 5 and have another 3 or 4 in queue. Judging by the conversation so far, seems like I'm missing a LOT)

Also, April Fool's Day was cute. The ending kinda threw me off, but I'm glad they stuck with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I finally got around to seeing Grace.

That... sure was a horror movie. I don't think I've ever been that disturbed or disgusted by a film, but I'm not complaining. I liked the use of light and visual callbacks to make seemingly innocent scenes more grotesque and threatening, and although the third act kind of crossed the line between horror and horror comedy at times it does surprisingly well by its premise.

The concept seems like it could really easily fall into a "woman's body as object of horror" trap, and it certainly crosses that territory, but I think there's enough psychological horror mixed with the physical stuff to justify it.

Overall I'm impressed, and I'd recommend it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 30, 2012

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I watched Grave Encounters on Netflix instant the other night. It actually starts off pretty good as we follow a bunch of ghost hunters filming a tv show in an insane asylum. Eventually though it just becomes a series of "scare" set pieces as the ghost hunters wander aimlessly through the halls. Once the movie got to the INSANE SCARES portion of the movie I stopped taking it seriously.

Its basically a poor man's Session 9.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

foodfight posted:

I watched Grave Encounters on Netflix instant the other night. It actually starts off pretty good as we follow a bunch of ghost hunters filming a tv show in an insane asylum. Eventually though it just becomes a series of "scare" set pieces as the ghost hunters wander aimlessly through the halls. Once the movie got to the INSANE SCARES portion of the movie I stopped taking it seriously.

Its basically a poor man's Session 9.

Pretty much exactly how I saw it. Also I expected them to go back to the prologue guy to tie up some loose ends in creepy ways, but nope. Sadly it's probably the closest we'll ever get to a House of Leaves movie.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

weekly font posted:

Pretty much exactly how I saw it. Also I expected them to go back to the prologue guy to tie up some loose ends in creepy ways, but nope. Sadly it's probably the closest we'll ever get to a House of Leaves movie.

That is disappointing.

Also the ending of Grave Encounters is completely ridiculous if you think about it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Finally got around to watching Paranormal Activity 3 last night. It might have been my favorite of the group. Definitely liked it more than 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I finally got around to seeing Grace.

That... sure was a horror movie. I don't think I've ever been that disturbed or disgusted by a film, but I'm not complaining. I liked the use of light and visual callbacks to make seemingly innocent scenes more grotesque and threatening, and although the third act kind of crossed the line between horror and horror comedy at times it does surprisingly well by its premise.

The concept seems like it could really easily fall into a "woman's body as object of horror" trap, and it certainly crosses that territory, but I think there's enough psychological horror mixed with the physical stuff to justify it.

Overall I'm impressed, and I'd recommend it.

Awesome. I've been meaning to get around to this one for quite a while now.