Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I think we all grew used to that particular failing of Odas a long time ago. It's quiet weird when you look at the first few volumes and see the slim, tomboyish Nami and then compare it to how she's...grown over the years admittedly, but it's been happening with so long I doubt most people even think about it much anymore.

Oh, no, I noticed. Whenever I get the chance, I complain how the old Nami looked so much better.

Also, as soon as Luffy went in and started bouncing around on a mysterious boob-shaped substance, I knew what was coming. Oda really had no where to go except to make them big enough to walk on. Robin and Nami are on their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Boing.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Shadow0 posted:

Oh, no, I noticed. Whenever I get the chance, I complain how the old Nami looked so much better.

Also, as soon as Luffy went in and started bouncing around on a mysterious boob-shaped substance, I knew what was coming. Oda really had no where to go except to make them big enough to walk on. Robin and Nami are on their way.

Well since we know Robin can create large portions of her body (aka. the giant arm forcing the ship away from the reef), this could come up... In Robin's case most likely as a weapon.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

Am I a terrible person for actually laughing at loud at that joke? Because I did. I knew it from the manga but I still got a laugh out of it.

Same here, found it utterly hilarious when Luffy just started jumping like he was on a trampoline.

Then I stopped laughing when she spoke, wow they nailed her character absolutely perfectly and I hate it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This is a little off topic, or a lot off topic, but has anyone in here played the demo for Asura's Wrath? I checked it out the other day, and there's something about it that I think should probably resonate with any One Piece fan. Here is a video of the game itself.

As soon as that music kicked in, the scene became infinitely cooler to me. I know the music is classic and isn't exclusive to OP or anything, but I think being able to connect it to such an awesome scene does seem to make everything around it better by association. It's just another reason I keep watching the anime every week despite the ups and downs in its pacing and art.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo :stare:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

As soon as that music kicked in, the scene became infinitely cooler to me. I know the music is classic and isn't exclusive to OP or anything, but I think being able to connect it to such an awesome scene does seem to make everything around it better by association. It's just another reason I keep watching the anime every week despite the ups and downs in its pacing and art.

Oh yea that's New World Symphony.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
That game...I was not prepared. :suicide:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I think Megalo is my favorite character in this whole arc so far. He's the embodiment of :haw: in fish form.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shadow0 posted:

I totally support Oda's insistence in using boobs for humor, because he tends to be more creative than the standard Anime tit comedy (ha ha ha, did you see that? he fell on that girl's boobs! that never gets old!). It especially works in the case of Boa Hancock, as I still continue to laugh at the aburdity and awesomeness that this chaste Pirate Empress, who has entire armies of men (and women!) drop their weapons and drool relentlessy at the very sight of her, completely falls head over heels toward Luffy, who is simply obilvious to the sheer envy others would feel for such an honor.

However, I can't bring myself to support Nami's new look. In fact, I can't take anything she says seriously, because I'm too busy staring at the Yoko-ized bikinni top and melons.

Part of me wants to believe that Nami's continued growth is part of an eleborate plot-line that is years in the making.

One person suggested to me that Nami's real mother comes from the Island of Women. I think that would be a terrific justification, and would go a long way to make her an interesting character again.

Seriously, after the Arlong arc she's basically just been "The Navigator".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Primoman posted:

I totally support Oda's insistence in using boobs for humor, because he tends to be more creative than the standard Anime tit comedy (ha ha ha, did you see that? he fell on that girl's boobs! that never gets old!). It especially works in the case of Boa Hancock, as I still continue to laugh at the aburdity and awesomeness that this chaste Pirate Empress, who has entire armies of men (and women!) drop their weapons and drool relentlessy at the very sight of her, completely falls head over heels toward Luffy, who is simply obilvious to the sheer envy others would feel for such an honor.

However, I can't bring myself to support Nami's new look. In fact, I can't take anything she says seriously, because I'm too busy staring at the Yoko-ized bikinni top and melons.

Part of me wants to believe that Nami's continued growth is part of an eleborate plot-line that is years in the making.

One person suggested to me that Nami's real mother comes from the Island of Women. I think that would be a terrific justification, and would go a long way to make her an interesting character again.

Seriously, after the Arlong arc she's basically just been "The Navigator".

Sanji has been injecting growth hormones into her food, makes sense why they started growing more after Arlong Park.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've heard that one a lot too.

But if it was true, he wouldn't have been so surprised seeing her again after two years. He should have cackled deviously in the background, content that his secret experiment had been working.

Plus, sooner or later Luffy would have eaten that food by mistake. No man boobs on him.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Primoman posted:

No man boobs on him.

Yet.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And without getting into manga spoilers (because that's the whole point of this thread, and I wouldn't have visited otherwise), are they ever going to explain how Zorro got the scar on his eye? Frankly I'm surprised that wasn't one of the first questions to come from the other Strawhats.

"Holy poo poo, Zorro, what happened to your eye!?"

Of course he'd probably answer:

"Nothing at all."

But at least acknowledge it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
No on in the manga thread knows either, but there are a lot of ironic horrible sharingan jokes that pop up from time to time in place of that knowledge.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man, I hope not. The whole "keeping my eye closed until it's time to unleash my secret technique" thing is getting old, and probably has to do with that eyepatch fetish I'm seeing in more shows these days.

Are we allowed to discuss fansub groups? This is a licensed show, but it's also in regards to episodes that won't see distribution for years from now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Primoman posted:

Man, I hope not. The whole "keeping my eye closed until it's time to unleash my secret technique" thing is getting old, and probably has to do with that eyepatch fetish I'm seeing in more shows these days.

Are we allowed to discuss fansub groups? This is a licensed show, but it's also in regards to episodes that won't see distribution for years from now.

They release the episodes weekly for free legally.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, but I'm a 720p whore, and Funi's streams are far too low a quality to roll back on.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Primoman posted:

And without getting into manga spoilers (because that's the whole point of this thread, and I wouldn't have visited otherwise), are they ever going to explain how Zorro got the scar on his eye? Frankly I'm surprised that wasn't one of the first questions to come from the other Strawhats.

"Nothing at all."

Luffy has new scars too, but no one seemed to mind. I'm sure they would ask even less questions if they knew that Zoro was on an island with Mihawk for 2 years. I'm rather surprised that Zoro didn't walk away with even more than that. I don't really care too much about the eye scar. If something happens, it'll be glorious. If not, it's just part of the character re-design. It's not like some sort of sweeping change, he's doing just as well without the eye. It isn't like he lost an arm, or his teeth or something important.

Primoman posted:

Yeah, but I'm a 720p whore, and Funi's streams are far too low a quality to roll back on.
Are you one of those people that have to have a weekly series on a big-screen TV to enjoy it? That sounds quite silly. It's 25 minutes and although there's commercials in it, the subs by Funimation are free, and legal, and it a pretty great streaming quality.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 23, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Flameingblack posted:

Are you one of those people that have to have a weekly series on a big-screen TV to enjoy it? That sounds quite silly. It's 25 minutes and although there's commercials in it, the subs by Funimation are free, and legal, and it a pretty great streaming quality.

For me the last couple of episodes have played straight through without commercials for some reason. I hope it's something that continues, because really why are you showing me the same ad 5 times in a row?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Primoman posted:

As far as this thread (and this subforum) are concerned, we only discuss legal means when available.

KoB fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 23, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Flameingblack posted:

Luffy has new scars too, but no one seemed to mind. I'm sure they would ask even less questions if they knew that Zoro was on an island with Mihawk for 2 years. I'm rather surprised that Zoro didn't walk away with even more than that. I don't really care too much about the eye scar. If something happens, it'll be glorious. If not, it's just part of the character re-design. It's not like some sort of sweeping change, he's doing just as well without the eye. It isn't like he lost an arm, or his teeth or something important.

Gutts lost an eye and an arm, and is somehow stronger than ever.

Doesn't mean you don't still feel bad about it. :(

And yes, I do like my big TV+XBMC setup.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gyges posted:

For me the last couple of episodes have played straight through without commercials for some reason. I hope it's something that continues, because really why are you showing me the same ad 5 times in a row?
Personally sick of seeing a car fall out of an airplane on every streaming website I go to, myself.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

If you're a villain from Austin Powers, you might be convinced by the third time in a row.

I think the problem is there aren't enough sponsors. It's been increasing though, so maybe I won't have to hear the Windows PC commercial anymore. Or at least get more than two commercials... or those drat Skittles commercials...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Despite crappy ads and lesser then desired resolution I feel it important that we support the official stream as much as possible, as the reasons for anime-fansubbing has always been "not available in my country and if it is it's too late" now they are finally giving us the show the same time it airs in Japan subtitled and for free, if we continue to pirate the show at that point then we are just being dicks.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

If you absolutely must watch it in HD, at least load up the one piece video page and have it play ads a few times.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Primoman posted:

"Nothing at all."

Nothing happened to Zoro's eye, he just happens to blink it when the panel camera is focused on him.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

socialsecurity posted:

Despite crappy ads and lesser then desired resolution I feel it important that we support the official stream as much as possible, as the reasons for anime-fansubbing has always been "not available in my country and if it is it's too late" now they are finally giving us the show the same time it airs in Japan subtitled and for free, if we continue to pirate the show at that point then we are just being dicks.

That's a lovely sentiment but the US and Japan only make up a small fraction of the world.

Primoman posted:

This should answer your question:

The ADTRW Rules posted:

No torrents or direct links to material you can either purchase in the US or see on US TV.
This means that it's ok to have links to anime and manga that is out in Japan right now, but remove your links and don't post new ones once you can get the title in the US. You will be banned if you post links to stuff available in the US. If there is a special case where, for instance, you have an ancient VHS copy of a show that will never again see the light of day, ask a mod first. Please note that this does include online streaming of shows!

In summary, it's ok to talk about fansub groups so long as we don't post links.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jassa posted:

That's a lovely sentiment but the US and Japan only make up a small fraction of the world.

The best part.

I think he means in countries where there is the official streaming, those people should support the official streaming. If it is available completely free in your country, why not watch the official stream and put up with ads so One Piece can stay funded? If you have to have the high quality, buy the DVDs. (Do they have subbed box sets?)

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Shadow0 posted:

The best part.

I think he means in countries where there is the official streaming, those people should support the official streaming. If it is available completely free in your country, why not watch the official stream and put up with ads so One Piece can stay funded? If you have to have the high quality, buy the DVDs. (Do they have subbed box sets?)
Yeah, the Funimation DVDs have subs in addition to the English dub.

Part of me wants to support it by buying the DVDs, but I can't justify spending that much money on them when I can watch them on the official site for free. I already spend enough on the manga, which I prefer anyway.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've considered buying the dvds but there is just so many episodes that they would have to be super super cheap to ever think about getting the entire series.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
As it is now, funimation is releasing collections of their existing episodes in 25 episode sets. They're about $20 each and that'll probably the best option for buying dvds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So it'll cost what, half a grand for the entire series once they've caught up? That's really not so bad, considering something like Legend of Galactic Heroes on Blu-Ray is like 2500 dollars. Although LOGH is one of the greatest feats of television ever, but still, 2.5 thousand dollars for a tv show.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's very important that you watch this week's One Piece, if only for the greatest formation of a rubber man, a giant shark, and a giant mermaid that mankind has yet to devise.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Gyges posted:

It's very important that you watch this week's One Piece, if only for the greatest formation of a rubber man, a giant shark, and a giant mermaid that mankind has yet to devise.

Megalo nooooooooo :gonk:

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
Kung Fu Point Chopper :swoon:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

MadiTC posted:

Looks more like Sammo Hung point than Bruce Lee point.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MadiTC posted:

I was actually happy with Chopper for once. This seems like a legitimate use of the Human Human fruit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Loanarn posted:

Looks more like Sammo Hung point than Bruce Lee point.

Which only makes it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
They're honestly doing a fantastic job of making the Princess absolutely unlikable. The voice, the whining... Everything clicks so perfectly with the manga.