Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Crackpipe posted:

I build, and build and build, only to realize that there's no reason for me to go back to any of these buildings.

I do a similar thing but I move on to another area and extend a powered rail network to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

re: the signs discussion -

Signs, since they are solely of informational use, are not a weapon, or armor, do not let you mine faster or for better ores, should be stackable to 64 and craftable via one plank over one stick, like a torch made of plank instead of coal. Bang, fixed forever.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I know what you are all sayin'. I spent prolly 4 hours(I'm not very good at MC) and got a nice huge farm full of all the food ill ever need and have established my fortress on the highest mountain in the world. Now I just build houses for people that won't use them and stupid poo poo like that. Inception is frightening and limbo is hell. I'm so bored of minecraft.

If this is FILES let me know and I'll edit it out. A buddy and I got the official minecraft game around Christmas time and I enjoy going down the hall with my laptop and just playing with him for a few hours. We want our other friend to play with us but he doesn't think its worth the money(I kind of agree at 30 dollars) and only plays cracked versions. Is there anyway we can get him to play with us aside from buying the game for him or having to torrent the game ourselves? I think the problem lies not in that he doesnt buy the game but that he doesnt have an official account. Is there anyway we can just LAN up the 3 of us as long as he has the same version?

:filez:

Tell him to suck it up and buy the game. If it's not worth buying, it's not worth playing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

thelightguy posted:

:filez:

Tell him to suck it up and buy the game. If it's not worth buying, it's not worth playing.

Tell that to Redbox and Blockbuster :v:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

When you can find minecraft in a redbox machine, that'll actually be relevant.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

re: the signs discussion -

Signs, since they are solely of informational use, are not a weapon, or armor, do not let you mine faster or for better ores, should be stackable to 64 and craftable via one plank over one stick, like a torch made of plank instead of coal. Bang, fixed forever.

And fence posts should 'connect' to them. Haven't checked everything, but I know they don't connect to leaves, so there's definitely some block-identity-based assignment for when fences 'connect' to things. Can someone mention that to Jeb? I'm sure it would take like a minute to fix.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

thelightguy posted:

If it's not worth buying, it's not worth playing.
I am not commenting on whether or not to use a legal copy, but this is stupid. I personally think Minecraft is worth playing. Is it worth buying at $13? Yes. $30? Probably. $60? Probably not. $100? No way.

Luckily I got it back when it was $13, and it was full of promise. Now it's $30 and not that much better.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Really, it was dumb of notch to finally kick the price up to $30. $20 is really sort of the limit of "impulse buy" for a lot of people, and minecraft was rather perfectly targetted there. Raising it that high has cut off a bit of the potential long tail the game had, with people even less willing to invest in a larger entry fee with the game in questionable hands.

Granted it's far from the only dumb thing notch has done, but you know.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Walliard posted:

Lately I've lost interest in building and am just exploring. It's a nice change of pace and it makes Hardcore tolerable, but even that's starting to lose its novelty.

Exploring became pretty pointless when 1.8 changed maps to consist of completely boring cookie-cutter biomes instead of, you know, interesting terrain.

I'm getting pretty disillusioned with Minecraft. The maps are no fun anymore and nothing is really happening with the game. Jeb took over and is fixing some poo poo I guess but I don't want to have to wait a year for the game to be fun again.

I've posted about this a lot in this thread, but I honestly think that the change to terrain generation in 1.8 was the worst loving thing that Notch could have possibly done for the game. Maps used to be unique and fun to explore, and now they are just terrible and all the same. I started a server with some friends just before Beta 1.7 and we had an amazing world, and for a period of three or four months we all played like crazy, building different towns and connecting them with infrastructure and whatnot. Since 1.8 and beyond we're down to 1-2 players on a good day.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Oggumogoggum posted:

I'm getting pretty disillusioned with Minecraft. The maps are no fun anymore and nothing is really happening with the game. Jeb took over and is fixing some poo poo I guess but I don't want to have to wait a year for the game to be fun again.

Well the good thing is when it does become fun again you will not need to pay for it again, unless they think coming up with it as Minecraft 2 and charging us all 30 dollars for a game that is really still in beta, and probably will never be 100% gold.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you think terrain is boring, you haven't explored any of it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Mountain biomes are a poor substitute for the crazy chasm and peak filled maps you could find in pre-1.8 minecraft, and the rest of the biomes are really just kinda boring.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

If you think terrain is boring, you haven't explored any of it.

Every biome looks exactly the same as every other biome of that type, except for the mountain biomes, which are just terrible and useless and have floating chunks of dirt everywhere.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Some more biome-specific stuff wouldn't go amiss, and I don't mean just different-looking trees (although that might help). I mean things like different plant types: maybe purple flowers that provide purple dye in one particular biome. Big glaciers and icebergs made up of snow-capped iceblocks in the colder biomes, along with special ancient-creature-trapped-in-the-ice blocks found in ore-sized deposits of 6-8 blocks in size, that drop bones, leather and rotting meat when mined.

Stuff like that, because mainly I think a lot of the tedium comes from people having played this for so long that they know everything inside and out. They know all the block types, the recipes, the whole shebang. Which is why a lot of people look for mods that add in tons of new content, like Technic and so forth, and why everyone in the entire Minecraft community seems to flip out whenever Jens drops a hint on whatever he's working on.

It's a never-ending cycle. Every time something new comes out, we end up hunting it down and playing around with it until it becomes stale, and then we wait impatiently for the next new thing to come along.

Frankly I'm wondering why Jens hasn't tried doing biome shaders for stone yet. The endless monotone grey is always what drives me insane when I'm underground. A little subtle variation in hue and tone would be nice.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
The main problem with 1.8+ biomes is that the physical features are tied to the biome, rather then the other way around. The current vegetation of your surroundings should depend on your elevation. The new jungle biome goes a long way to making biomes better, but completely blows every other biome out of the water.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jamesman posted:

That doesn't seem like enough for me to start a new world over. Jungle biomes seem neat and pretty dense, but I'm not going to lose everything just in the hopes of seeing one.

Hopefully Jeb adds in a bunch of other stuff before the next update that is more encouraging to reset my world over. Maybe add monkeys into the jungle biomes, and when you kill them you get bananas, and then you can combine bread and bananas to make banana bread, and use the peels for creating traps for mobs to slip and fall on.

And you can use bananas to tame monkeys and have helper monkeys.

And you can build an obsidian obelisk and the monkeys will gather around it and start using stone tools and evolving into monkey-men and creating their own civilization.

I've forgotten where I was going with all this.

The monolith only works if you build it 1:4:9

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The final Race For The Wool tournament match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJtzNS1fAVM

Spectator view with commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obNtgMbK8zA

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 23, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rather than being a single level of generation (biomes), it should be three types of generation: broad terrain, small features, flora. Each of which can overlap with the others in a variety of ways.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Asimo posted:

Really, it was dumb of notch to finally kick the price up to $30. $20 is really sort of the limit of "impulse buy" for a lot of people, and minecraft was rather perfectly targetted there. Raising it that high has cut off a bit of the potential long tail the game had, with people even less willing to invest in a larger entry fee with the game in questionable hands.

Granted it's far from the only dumb thing notch has done, but you know.

Especially considering the beta version of the game is better than the official release.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Rather than being a single level of generation (biomes), it should be three types of generation: broad terrain, small features, flora. Each of which can overlap with the others in a variety of ways.

There should also be different underground biomes; giant underground mushroom caves, sand-filled chasms full of traps, submerged hallways with tunnels spiderwebbing out, all sorts of things.

Also, abandoned mines should be both less frequent and a more common source of a single type of ore. It'd mean something more than a source of easy minecart tracks to find one if it meant you'd be finding more iron or lapis or something down there.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
.wrong thread.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

pseudorandom name posted:

The final Race For The Wool tournament match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJtzNS1fAVM

Spectator view with commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obNtgMbK8zA
Watched this live. It's amazing how badly Brute hosed that race up. Redstoners just dominated. I also <3 Etho.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Reading this thread makes me sad sometimes :smith:

On the one hand I get tired of hearing how disappointed people are with the game (I agree the game isn't worth $30 as it is, it was a better value when it was in beta) but then I read about all these fantastic ideas for making it a proper adventure game (underground biomes, more creatures, etc.) and I hope these happen...but then I also realize the modders will come up with that stuff first, and who knows if Jeb will be able to get all that done before the plug is pulled on Minecraft development.

I would support (with donation, I have no skills) an open-source MC clone that incorporated all the coolest ideas people have had for MC. I bet it could be done so that MC maps could even be imported.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

krushgroove posted:

Reading this thread makes me sad sometimes :smith:

On the one hand I get tired of hearing how disappointed people are with the game (I agree the game isn't worth $30 as it is, it was a better value when it was in beta) but then I read about all these fantastic ideas for making it a proper adventure game (underground biomes, more creatures, etc.) and I hope these happen...but then I also realize the modders will come up with that stuff first, and who knows if Jeb will be able to get all that done before the plug is pulled on Minecraft development.

I would support (with donation, I have no skills) an open-source MC clone that incorporated all the coolest ideas people have had for MC. I bet it could be done so that MC maps could even be imported.

The word I like to use to describe Minecraft is 'rudderless'. Notch doesn't have any long-term goals for the game and probably doesn't care anymore since he's stopped working on it, and Jens right now looks like he's just trying to get this game, like, actually finished. It was some pretty dumb bullshit them just slapping that piece of crap end on and calling it "released" just for Minecon. Now Jeb has done the language thing, and his only goal seems to be modding API. After that's done I don't really see the point for Mojang to keep working on the game. They don't know what they're trying to do with it and the rest of its life is going to come from mods anyway.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I'm hoping the mod API comes around and a 'final' version is done so I can stick some cool mods on the server so my friends can get online a couple times a week.

I realize now that dreams of quests and making things as deep as something like Fallout 3/NV (the only RPG type game I can finish) are just that - dreams. MC is never going to be as polished or fulfilling a game as FO3.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Here's another one of my spurges: crafting tables.

I always carry a crafting table in my inventory because every 5 minutes you need to whip it out in the middle of some random cave in order to make a new pick/shovel/axe/whatever, then when you're done, change to your axe, break the crafting table and pick it up again.

Doesn't this make the whole step of even requiring a crafting table in the first place just annoying and redundant? Would the game actually be any worse for it, if the crafting table was removed altogether and the player just had a 3x3 crafting grid instead of 2x2? It's not like the mechanic introduces any sort of location depency for crafting, because you just carry one with you all the time :downs:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Is there a mod that makes your in inventory crafting nontable into a crafting table?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Is this game the record holder for Indy game turned huge-goddamn-success?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

simosimo posted:

Historically I'd say Counterstrike holds that title, as it went from small Half Life mod to literally the #1 most popular online game for a few years, but in terms of pure profit, who knows, Minecraft might actually have made more.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I always carry a crafting table in my inventory because every 5 minutes you need to whip it out in the middle of some random cave in order to make a new pick/shovel/axe/whatever, then when you're done, change to your axe, break the crafting table and pick it up again.

Doesn't this make the whole step of even requiring a crafting table in the first place just annoying and redundant? Would the game actually be any worse for it, if the crafting table was removed altogether and the player just had a 3x3 crafting grid instead of 2x2? It's not like the mechanic introduces any sort of location depency for crafting, because you just carry one with you all the time :downs:
Considering how common Abandoned Mineshafts are, I think you're doing yourself an injustice by carrying one around. When you're down in a cave just try and find a mineshaft, knock down a couple of the wood planks, make a new crafting table. That's what I usually do, it doesn't always work because you're not *always* in an Abandoned Mineshaft but they're common enough that you can usually find one.

Coleman fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 23, 2012

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Coleman posted:

Considering how common Abandoned Mineshafts are, I think you're doing yourself an injustice by caring one around. When you're down in a cave just try and find a mineshaft, knock down a couple of the wood planks, make a new crafting table. That's what I usually do, it doesn't always work because you're not *always* in an Abandoned Mineshaft but they're common enough that you can usually find one.

I think the complaint is that you need to go out of your way to do something to craft things that are used all the freaking time. Why not have "basic" recipes, such as all tools and weapons, be createable in your inventory and have the "advanced" stuff like minecarts need a separate crafting table? If all I'm doing is going on a stone-mining expedition, I'd like to be able to carry a stack of sticks and save the rest of the space for tools, a stack of food, and all the freaking stone I'm going to be hauling back. Or hell, if I'm doing an extended build (a bridge for example), that stack of 64 can add up if I'm making multiple trips back to my storage hut.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

This doesn't directly address the contention about whether crafting tables should exist at all, but (similar to Coleman's suggestion) what I do is carry a stack of wood planks or logs at all times and just craft a crafting table as need them and leave them behind, and then I replenish the planks whenever I happen to come across an abandoned mine shaft rather than intentionally seeking them out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Notch once said he was going to split the crafting tree (after fleshing it out heavily, which I guess never happened) into different categories. Then each category would require its own specialty crafting area.
I know a lot of people wouldn't appreciate having to move between or even create additional crafting blocks, but I actually really like the idea. Just about the only areas of my castles/hovels/villages that have any function at all or feel remotely filled are the crafting areas, so adding more types of crafting resources would mean more rooms I could create and fill in. About the closest we got was the alchemy stands and enchanting tables, but I'd really like to see something more. More functional blocks means more things to build towards and around.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Vib Rib posted:

Notch once said he was going to split the crafting tree (after fleshing it out heavily, which I guess never happened) into different categories. Then each category would require its own specialty crafting area.
I know a lot of people wouldn't appreciate having to move between or even create additional crafting blocks, but I actually really like the idea. Just about the only areas of my castles/hovels/villages that have any function at all or feel remotely filled are the crafting areas, so adding more types of crafting resources would mean more rooms I could create and fill in. About the closest we got was the alchemy stands and enchanting tables, but I'd really like to see something more. More functional blocks means more things to build towards and around.

Pretty much this.

Crafting tables seem to have clearly been designed to add a "this is my nice comfy house, and here's my workshop where I craft stuff..." type feeling

But that concept completely breaks due to the amount of poo poo you need to craft frequently and on-demand (e.g. tools), and of course due to the fact that crafting tables are pretty trivial to bring along with you.

I think ItalicSquirrels has the best solution - split craftable stuff into 2 tiers - the stuff you need a lot on-demand should be freely craftable on the move without needing a table. And for the bigger/rarer stuff, it should require a dedicated workshop-type area, (a bit like enchanting).

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

simosimo posted:

No, that honor would go to a game coded in the 80's on a Russian clone computer.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
code:
Hello

A strange game.
The only way to win Minecraft is not to play.

How about a nice game of chess?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Having things like building basic tools would be nice to do so without a table. Like, wood and stone tools. Then for iron and diamond, you'd need a crafting table. Maybe upgrade a furnace into a cooking hearth, and have that do all your food-related recipes like bread and cake, and maybe expand on adding new foods and have them apply extra temporary benefits, like potions.

Then have a workbench for "big" things like creating bookcases, carts, mechanisms, enchantment tables, brewing stands, etc.

Having a multi-tierd crafting system would definitely give you more to work towards and add more variety.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Y'know, I'd really like to see an updated version of the original creative at this point. Like, all the new blocks, but the same old terrain generation, same old finite maps, same old ridiculously vivid colors, the 'flood everything' water mechanics, and strangely absent lighting. Something about original creative felt alive and charming, which was lost post-indev.

It doesn't help that the constant surge of minor updates makes it really hard to just pick up and play minecraft, since in a week it'll be outdated and all the mods that actually made the game interesting again will be broken.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Miijhal posted:

It doesn't help that the constant surge of minor updates makes it really hard to just pick up and play minecraft, since in a week it'll be outdated and all the mods that actually made the game interesting again will be broken.

Yeah, this really cut down on my Minecraft playing time over the last year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Having things like building basic tools would be nice to do so without a table. Like, wood and stone tools. Then for iron and diamond, you'd need a crafting table. Maybe upgrade a furnace into a cooking hearth, and have that do all your food-related recipes like bread and cake, and maybe expand on adding new foods and have them apply extra temporary benefits, like potions.

Then have a workbench for "big" things like creating bookcases, carts, mechanisms, enchantment tables, brewing stands, etc.

Having a multi-tierd crafting system would definitely give you more to work towards and add more variety.

Or to simplify it, have basic tools not require a work bench, but for larger things require a workbench, and you can use resources to upgrade the workbench to make more things. Upgrading the workbench requires valuable resources, but lets you make more things, and possibly do bonus stuff like tools made on it have extra durability, or you make more rails and bookshelves per craft. Breaking the workbench would revert it to a basic one, so you cant just carry one around with you on mining trips, and requires actually putting up a more permanent crafting area everytime you move to a place.